Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

secured place to work
Individual Support Worker (IS2) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
No more client intake so waiting only until it will closed.Give us rotation shift.Work with high risk individual.good benefits
Pros
benefit
Cons
shifting
Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
No loyalty to employees
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge,AbApril 7, 2016
You are just a disposable number. Unless you know how to suck up, you are NOTHING!!! You can work your butt off and it means NOTHING!! Management preaches accountability, respect, integrity but Don't practise what they preach. No matter how much dedication and loyalty you show, it means nothing unless you suck up to the right people. A lot of low life backstabbers employed by the GoA. Useless welfare cases are kept on. Show more ambition than management and youre gone, first lame excuse they can find. Any other company tries to find their employees another position before laying people off. GoA turns you out the door and then comes up with a feeble effort and lame excuses to find you another position.
Pros
Decent benefits as in time off. Oodles of excuses available to get paid time off.
Cons
You are nothing but a disposable number
Productive and fun work place
Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
• Create scripts to gather information about applications, server and domain statistics.
• Create documentation for project oriented tasks and steady state tasks.
• Test migration and provide post-migration support
• Steady State support and management of servers in a multi domain and multi-client environment.
• Assist and develop disaster recovery solution for client servers.
• Assist incoming incident, change and task oriented tickets
Working here can reach your potential
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
Helping the vulnerable people makes me feel very happy. We are having a lot of teamwork activities in our workplace such as building Legos, bake sale for fundraiser, helping set up with communities BBQ, blood drive etc.
Great Summer job
Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, ABMarch 14, 2016
Worked as a seasonal worker. Great job, really fun, worked outdoors, good hours ( 10 hour days monday to thursday) wage was pretty good. Location of the job in the crowsnest pass was awesome. management of the program not so much
Pros
Outdoor work, freedom, fun atmosphere
Cons
only seasonal, not very good managment
Working for the Government of Alberta was a very rewarding experience.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  ABFebruary 3, 2016
A typical work day with the Government of Alberta offered me many opportunities to experience varied tasks and skill sets. I truly valued the environment of working within a team that strives to make a difference in the lives of the people of Alberta. Working with a purpose fits into my personal values setting, and was provided within this organization.
Pros
Training was encouraged in areas that benefit your working environment.
Cons
None that I can think of at the moment.
Good place to work. Good salary and benefits
Communications Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
- Decent place to work
- Lot's of opportunity
- Good place to improve your skills
- Very good compensation package
- Interesting subject matter
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Difficult work/life balance
fun workplace
Stevedore (Former Employee) –  Worsley, ABJune 18, 2016
although the work place had alot to do we away managed to get everything done quick and had time to spare in doing other stuff. the people are very kind and understanding i like the work place a lot.
Pros
free food, nice place to sleep, great working environment, amazing staff
Cons
not being able to stay longer
No two days were the same
Correctional Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJuly 16, 2015
Was a great place to work. No two days were the same and you you never new what was going to happen. Always learning new skills.
It was a very close team, the people you worked with became your friends.
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Cons
could be violent
Dynamic and supportive environment
Driver Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 27, 2016
Very fulfilling experience. Allowed me to gain a tremendous skill of communicating with all types of general public, including the newcomers to Canada. Allowed me to learn how to quickly react in dangerous situations.
Great people, organization issues
Investment Planning Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
Amazing people work for the Alberta government. However, there are some organization issues. I am concerned with the independence of the bureaucracy within the province.
Pros
good people
Cons
politicized organization
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
HIgh Stress-Low Reward
Solicitor General (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 28, 2016
Good benefits and decent pay, but that's about it. Stress level is through the roof when working there, and don't always expect to get your days off without being pressured to take overtime shifts
I have had no issues with Case workers, Support staff and trainers.
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I very much enjoy working with seniors spending time or
being a companion.

I am patient and compassionate ,I enjoy reading with those I work with when needed.
Great pay and job security
Assistant Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 31, 2016
Administrative support to the office.

Data Entry

Usage of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook on a daily basis

Preparation of documents following rules and procedures

Communicating with officers when discrepancies appear
fun
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Diamond carpet center; the management was great and supportive. the pay was okay but working with the people there was a lot of fun.
Good organization to be part of
Industrial Approvals Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peace River, ABJune 26, 2016
Excellent management with great support to complete projects.
government of Alberta does a great job to serve the public.
good place to work
Collision Data Editor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2016
good place to work , having fun working here , amazing place to work, good team , treats every one respectfully , takes pride in what we do
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2013
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Pros
very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons
politics

4.3