Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Cant Complain
GIS Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Pay extremely well, however management hierarchy does not do a good job of communicating between higher positions with lower ones; this lead to a lot of frustration and confusion.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Flaky job security
Review
Records Coordinator (AS IV) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
In my current position working with the File Room Management team with Service Alberta as a Records Coordinator has helped build my skills in records management. It provides good opportunity to build on my analytical skill and project management. It also allows creativity in resolving issues arising from legacy issues on certain records.
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
unfortunately this is a contract position and there is an end scheduled. I do not know if I will be renewed. I would love to stay but need to have more job security.
Amazing
Health Benefits Assessor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2017
LOVE working here. Best co-workers and managers ever! This has been absolutely one of the most amazing assignments I have ever been on. Definitely a hard employer to have to leave!
Great Experience
Supports for Permanency Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2017
Working for the Gov was a great experience. Lots of nice people, however the work was heavily relied on deadlines and financial stuff. It was fun. I would defiantly do it again!
workplace
Correctional Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
The environment can be stressful. Some people, though book smart, should not be working there for safety reasons. Be ready for shift work and overtime.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
shift work
Great people but management.....
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2017
GoA is a good place to work but it's only as good as the management team who are directing it. Service Alberta is very political and the Directors only support furthering their own agendas, surround themselves with "Yes" people and promote long time friends/acquaintances into roles they are unfit for. The Directors at Service Alberta don't care much for contractors who do all the heavy lifting on the projects while the full time employees sit back and give direction.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management "Boys Club" mentality
Decent career
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Not a bad career choice depending on what office you end up working in. My manager was terrible and so we had no team morale. There was no team building. You were discouraged to have conversations with co-workers except if it was about work. I was bullied by my manager and she made it very difficult to want to go to work.
Great job security and opportunities for advanceement
Employment Standards Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Fantastic employer with great benefits and pay. Flex time and other work/family arrangements helped enable a positive working environment along with frequent awards and accolades provided by upper management.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Possibilities of negative work reputation.
Flexible Work Schedule
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
I have a great group of coworkers who do they best they can to help each other with our workloads which can be overwhelming at times.

Management can be difficult and not very understanding.

We do have a great flexible work schedule program.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, Pension
Cons
workload distribution
Great Team
Administrative Support - Finance (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 August 2017
Great workplace culture, but lack of respect for admin. No followup with management with issues. Lots of policy and procedure but great encouragement with respect in the workplace
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No true leadership
depends where you are worked
Sentence Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Job security and benefits are great. Salary and management are very poor. You are extremely micro managed and constantly put to work and watched for very little pay
Good workplace overall balanced enviroment
Forestry Worker (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB22 July 2017
When i worked for GOA i had a good time even though it was just work experience i liked how you get more to learn than you expected when you start working with them.
Fast paced and challenging
Administrative Support (AS3) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Working for the Government of Alberta is extremely satisfying and rewarding. I love the challenge and pace of the office. I enjoy the interaction with the families and the children.
Pros
Rewarding to know you have done a good job
Great job
Senior Advisor, Business + Operational Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2017
I loved this job. Right out of school it was exactly what I wanted. It was a difficult decision to leave in order to pursue my master's degree in Vancouver.
I enjoyed working in all the departments and offices.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Working independently and as a team are my strengths. Enjoy working with the public. I have 30 years experience in the Administrative role, very qualified for any administrative position.
Pros
Number of vacation days
Cons
Working over the Christmas Holidays
Interesting work helping vulnerable Albertans with their tax and financial affairs.
Taxation Officer - Temp (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
The Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee is charged with assisting those Albertans who are deemed by Court Order incapable of managing their finances by themselves.
The Public Trustee monitors the clients' investments and tax returns to maximize their personal holdings.
Very capable people are looking out for the best interests of the clients.
average workplace, great environment, though the payscale is a bit questionable on some positions
Procurement Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
If you work hard and is very respectful they will definitely keep you. System-wise, they are a bit slow and old school compared to private firms. Way behind than private firms but then when you think of the extra benefits and the culture, you will stay. That is, if you are the type of person who is laid back and contented with a normal job.
Have to be truthful
Reconciliation Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
Worked with the GOA for 22 years and during that time had very little time that I felt like I was a valued employee. Saw wage rollbacks, freezes and cutbacks and through it all those that remained never felt valued.
Pros
Wage paid most of the bills
Cons
Wage wasn't enough to get ahead
Residents are a positive challenge and very rewarding.
Team Lead of Residential Support Services (Current Employee) –  Gunn, AB15 May 2017
Can be very rewarding to assist residents to get a positive life back with challenges, but must be able to do this with limited support. There is a full set up including nutritional life skills, doctors, medical heath, etc.
Pros
Good money and benefits
Cons
Limited support for staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2