Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Flood Lands Officer / Land Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
Solid benefits, low salary.
Great work/life balance.
Stable.

If you are looking for a good place to work, and have a life, think about the GoA.

Hardly any room to move up.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor Successional Planning
Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
Lots of Learning Opportunities
Admin Assist/Admin Sup Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 January 2017
Excellent benefits, good pay, union is very involved. Lots of learning opportunities: in classroom, online and on the job. Overall a good place to work.
No loyalty to employees
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge,Ab7 April 2016
You are just a disposable number. Unless you know how to suck up, you are NOTHING!!! You can work your butt off and it means NOTHING!! Management preaches accountability, respect, integrity but Don't practise what they preach. No matter how much dedication and loyalty you show, it means nothing unless you suck up to the right people. A lot of low life backstabbers employed by the GoA. Useless welfare cases are kept on. Show more ambition than management and youre gone, first lame excuse they can find. Any other company tries to find their employees another position before laying people off. GoA turns you out the door and then comes up with a feeble effort and lame excuses to find you another position.
Pros
Decent benefits as in time off. Oodles of excuses available to get paid time off.
Cons
You are nothing but a disposable number
Excellent place to work; great flexibility and valuable resources
Agrometeorlogical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 December 2016
Field based job that involves travelling to Alberta's drought and climate monitoring stations performing routine maintenance
Troubleshooting, electrical wiring and station operations are on the job learning
Excellent co-workers who contribute a tremendous amount of information and quality to the business
Hardest part of the job is identifying issues that could be causing stations to malfunction or stop relaying information
Most enjoyable part of the job is the independence
Pros
Free lunches
HIgh Stress-Low Reward
Solicitor General (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2016
Good benefits and decent pay, but that's about it. Stress level is through the roof when working there, and don't always expect to get your days off without being pressured to take overtime shifts
Great work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
A typical work day would be going through emails to see if there are any Action Requests that need to be dealt with. After all that is handled, work through the share point system. Other administrative tasks such as scans, spreadsheets, filing, mail, etc..I learned how to deal with time management and multitasking in a daily basis. My coworkers are amazing and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the abundance amount of work we get it and trying to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable would be the staff here.
secured place to work
Individual Support Worker (IS2) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
No more client intake so waiting only until it will closed.Give us rotation shift.Work with high risk individual.good benefits
Pros
benefit
Cons
shifting
Excellent Career Opportunity
Advocacy (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
Stakeholder engagement wit GOA agencies, MD's, counties, landowner groups. Intervening on behalf of landowners with the oil and gas industry and GOA. Extensive public speaking. Committee work. Issue identification. Advisory to landowners and senior officials.
Pros
Opportunity for development
Cons
Working all hours and significant travel
Slow paced but excellent place to work with.
Production Economist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
It was great place to work with if one wants to work in a relaxing environment. A lot of opportunities for learning activities through classes (online/in person) conferences and so on.
Pros
Learning activities, long vacation periods
Cons
not so much to grow beyond a certain limit
Great work experience
Junior Forest Ranger Member (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB1 September 2016
It was a great summer job! i highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the forestry industry. I made friends for life and honed many of my skills such as leadership and organization. A typical day was always different as the crew leaders always had a new work project for us each day.
Pros
Great work experience, Job diversity
Cons
Lots of driving
Enjoyable and challenging workplace
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
The job involved a multitude of tasks ranging from duty work to project work. The co-workers were amazing and the management pushed you to do your best and was appreciative when you did.
Pros
People, Interesting Tasks, Management
Cons
Building Locations
Great workplace and beautiful park
Park Serivces Ranger (Former Employee) –  Garner Lake Provincial Park, AB20 August 2016
I was pleased to be able to work with the other staff and the campers at Garner Lake Provincial Park to make this summer a great one. I enjoyed making connections with surrounding communities, helping campers enjoy their stay, and keep the park safe. I aided in beautification projects and daily tasks outside of my job to aid in the preservation and development of the park. I gained valuable experience, knowledge, and interpersonal skills during this time period,
Excellent place to work
Warehouse and Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Excellent place to work, managers were always supportive with feedback. I just wish there wasn't so much red tape. I was hired through an agency that told me 10-12 weeks, I blew through the work needed. Contract was then terminated and they are in the process of requisitioning more hours.
Stressful, split minute decisions , safety of all, control of inmate movements/ activity
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2016
Hard on you mentally , physically but most important it's really hard on your family , I'm proud to be a correctional officer and I love my job . But my family feels a bit different so , I got to do what's best for all of us !
Pros
Government pension, union
Cons
Mentally, physically, emotionally draining
Good opportunities for advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
The GoA is a great place to work, and during my time there I have had lots of opportunity to advance and develop my professional skills and network.
Investigator
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
Very challenging and dynamic work, I love the challenge of this job. The government can be a bit frustrating but it is worth it for the great work environment
Provided growth
PDD Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working this position was extremely motivating and provided me with crucial tools necessary for sensitive customer service and human resource roles.
Pros
Increased emotional sensitivity
Cons
Short notice
The Government of Alberta paid for the supplies.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
I was trained on tools, paint,wood. I made my supplies work on jobs that came in. I was sent to job sites and finished them. The many jobs where done.
Pros
Finished all the job.
Cons
Never asked to work in that field again.
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2013
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Pros
Very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons
Politics

4.3