Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun work place
Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
• Create scripts to gather information about applications, server and domain statistics.
• Create documentation for project oriented tasks and steady state tasks.
• Test migration and provide post-migration support
• Steady State support and management of servers in a multi domain and multi-client environment.
• Assist and develop disaster recovery solution for client servers.
• Assist incoming incident, change and task oriented tickets
No loyalty to employees
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge,AbApril 7, 2016
You are just a disposable number. Unless you know how to suck up, you are NOTHING!!! You can work your butt off and it means NOTHING!! Management preaches accountability, respect, integrity but Don't practise what they preach. No matter how much dedication and loyalty you show, it means nothing unless you suck up to the right people. A lot of low life backstabbers employed by the GoA. Useless welfare cases are kept on. Show more ambition than management and youre gone, first lame excuse they can find. Any other company tries to find their employees another position before laying people off. GoA turns you out the door and then comes up with a feeble effort and lame excuses to find you another position.
Pros
Decent benefits as in time off. Oodles of excuses available to get paid time off.
Cons
You are nothing but a disposable number
Working for the Government of Alberta was a very rewarding experience.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  ABFebruary 3, 2016
A typical work day with the Government of Alberta offered me many opportunities to experience varied tasks and skill sets. I truly valued the environment of working within a team that strives to make a difference in the lives of the people of Alberta. Working with a purpose fits into my personal values setting, and was provided within this organization.
Pros
Training was encouraged in areas that benefit your working environment.
Cons
None that I can think of at the moment.
Great Summer job
Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, ABMarch 14, 2016
Worked as a seasonal worker. Great job, really fun, worked outdoors, good hours ( 10 hour days monday to thursday) wage was pretty good. Location of the job in the crowsnest pass was awesome. management of the program not so much
Pros
Outdoor work, freedom, fun atmosphere
Cons
only seasonal, not very good managment
Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
Great people, organization issues
Investment Planning Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
Amazing people work for the Alberta government. However, there are some organization issues. I am concerned with the independence of the bureaucracy within the province.
Pros
good people
Cons
politicized organization
Great pay and job security
Assistant Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 31, 2016
Administrative support to the office.

Data Entry

Usage of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook on a daily basis

Preparation of documents following rules and procedures

Communicating with officers when discrepancies appear
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
I have had no issues with Case workers, Support staff and trainers.
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I very much enjoy working with seniors spending time or
being a companion.

I am patient and compassionate ,I enjoy reading with those I work with when needed.
secured place to work
Individual Support Worker (IS2) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
No more client intake so waiting only until it will closed.Give us rotation shift.Work with high risk individual.good benefits
Pros
benefit
Cons
shifting
Love the GOA
POLICY ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 27, 2015
Great opportunity growth with amazing people to work with! There are a lot of training opportunities to move laterally. Many people I've worked with have been fun yet highly motivated to influence change.
social committee fun
HUMAN RESOURCES PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2015
Co-Chair of the social committee was so much fun, got to network and bring the team together.
I loved all the training provided by the gov.
Work life balance was amazing
Pros
birthday celebration
Cons
hard to coordinate
Busy Work Place
Timber/Audit Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaOctober 25, 2015
High paced work environment with supportive management. Always tasks to be completed. A work environment where I have lots of colleagues, and a few monotonous tasks, as well as new ones.
Administration 4
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 26, 2015
I've never had so much fun at a workplace. Working for GOV was a very good experience. I would welcome another opportunity.
Pros
Administration for 20 employee's
Cons
Short contracts
Helicopter Initial Action Firefighting
Wild land firefighter type 1 Helitack (Current Employee) –  High Prairie, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Fire Suppression
Educating the public on wildfire prevention
Proficient use and maintenance of hand tools, chainsaws and pumps
Reliability and dependency between crew members
Poor Culture
Project Manager (Employee) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 22, 2015
Not the best culture for someone who is innovative. Poor Leadership, vision. Very difficult to move up but stability is extremely good.
Guideline/Policy Oriented Work
Human Resources - Recruitment Specialist - Intern (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 6, 2015
I personally did not feel like a good fit in this position. There is little room to develop and implement your own methods of getting the work done.
Productive and fun workplace
Consumer Mediation Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 1, 2015
Productive and fun workplace, amazing, wonderful, pleasant, energizing, stupendous, would love to work there again
Working here can reach your potential
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
Helping the vulnerable people makes me feel very happy. We are having a lot of teamwork activities in our workplace such as building Legos, bake sale for fundraiser, helping set up with communities BBQ, blood drive etc.
Excellent management and moral
Systems Analyst II - Lead (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 27, 2015
Loved working for and with the people in the GoA. People were always very happy to see me and more than cooperative. There was little room for advancement and the political decision to contract out was beyond my control

4.3