Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Provided growth
PDD Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working this position was extremely motivating and provided me with crucial tools necessary for sensitive customer service and human resource roles.
Pros
Increased emotional sensitivity
Cons
Short notice
Great work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
A typical work day would be going through emails to see if there are any Action Requests that need to be dealt with. After all that is handled, work through the share point system. Other administrative tasks such as scans, spreadsheets, filing, mail, etc..I learned how to deal with time management and multitasking in a daily basis. My coworkers are amazing and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the abundance amount of work we get it and trying to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable would be the staff here.
Excellent place to work; great flexibility and valuable resources
Agrometeorlogical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 December 2016
Field based job that involves travelling to Alberta's drought and climate monitoring stations performing routine maintenance
Troubleshooting, electrical wiring and station operations are on the job learning
Excellent co-workers who contribute a tremendous amount of information and quality to the business
Hardest part of the job is identifying issues that could be causing stations to malfunction or stop relaying information
Most enjoyable part of the job is the independence
Pros
Free lunches
Investigator
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
Very challenging and dynamic work, I love the challenge of this job. The government can be a bit frustrating but it is worth it for the great work environment
The Government of Alberta paid for the supplies.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
I was trained on tools, paint,wood. I made my supplies work on jobs that came in. I was sent to job sites and finished them. The many jobs where done.
Pros
Finished all the job.
Cons
Never asked to work in that field again.
Excellent place to work
Warehouse and Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Excellent place to work, managers were always supportive with feedback. I just wish there wasn't so much red tape. I was hired through an agency that told me 10-12 weeks, I blew through the work needed. Contract was then terminated and they are in the process of requisitioning more hours.
Stressful, split minute decisions , safety of all, control of inmate movements/ activity
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2016
Hard on you mentally , physically but most important it's really hard on your family , I'm proud to be a correctional officer and I love my job . But my family feels a bit different so , I got to do what's best for all of us !
Pros
Government pension, union
Cons
Mentally, physically, emotionally draining
Enjoyable and challenging workplace
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
The job involved a multitude of tasks ranging from duty work to project work. The co-workers were amazing and the management pushed you to do your best and was appreciative when you did.
Pros
People, Interesting Tasks, Management
Cons
Building Locations
Great work experience
Junior Forest Ranger Member (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB1 September 2016
It was a great summer job! i highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the forestry industry. I made friends for life and honed many of my skills such as leadership and organization. A typical day was always different as the crew leaders always had a new work project for us each day.
Pros
Great work experience, Job diversity
Cons
Lots of driving
Great workplace and beautiful park
Park Serivces Ranger (Former Employee) –  Garner Lake Provincial Park, AB20 August 2016
I was pleased to be able to work with the other staff and the campers at Garner Lake Provincial Park to make this summer a great one. I enjoyed making connections with surrounding communities, helping campers enjoy their stay, and keep the park safe. I aided in beautification projects and daily tasks outside of my job to aid in the preservation and development of the park. I gained valuable experience, knowledge, and interpersonal skills during this time period,
good place to work
Collision Data Editor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2016
good place to work , having fun working here , amazing place to work, good team , treats every one respectfully , takes pride in what we do
fun
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 July 2016
I really enjoyed working at Diamond carpet center; the management was great and supportive. the pay was okay but working with the people there was a lot of fun.
HIgh Stress-Low Reward
Solicitor General (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2016
Good benefits and decent pay, but that's about it. Stress level is through the roof when working there, and don't always expect to get your days off without being pressured to take overtime shifts
Dynamic and supportive environment
Driver Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
Very fulfilling experience. Allowed me to gain a tremendous skill of communicating with all types of general public, including the newcomers to Canada. Allowed me to learn how to quickly react in dangerous situations.
Good organization to be part of
Industrial Approvals Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB26 June 2016
Excellent management with great support to complete projects.
government of Alberta does a great job to serve the public.
fun workplace
Stevedore (Former Employee) –  Worsley, AB18 June 2016
although the work place had alot to do we away managed to get everything done quick and had time to spare in doing other stuff. the people are very kind and understanding i like the work place a lot.
Pros
free food, nice place to sleep, great working environment, amazing staff
Cons
not being able to stay longer
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
I have had no issues with Case workers, Support staff and trainers.
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
I very much enjoy working with seniors spending time or
being a companion.

I am patient and compassionate ,I enjoy reading with those I work with when needed.
Great people, organization issues
Investment Planning Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2016
Amazing people work for the Alberta government. However, there are some organization issues. I am concerned with the independence of the bureaucracy within the province.
Pros
good people
Cons
politicized organization

4.3