Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Flexible Work Schedule
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2017
I have a great group of coworkers who do they best they can to help each other with our workloads which can be overwhelming at times.

Management can be difficult and not very understanding.

We do have a great flexible work schedule program.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, Pension
Cons
workload distribution
Great Team
Administrative Support - Finance (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 August 2017
Great workplace culture, but lack of respect for admin. No followup with management with issues. Lots of policy and procedure but great encouragement with respect in the workplace
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No true leadership
depends where you are worked
Sentence Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Job security and benefits are great. Salary and management are very poor. You are extremely micro managed and constantly put to work and watched for very little pay
Good workplace overall balanced enviroment
Forestry Worker (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB22 July 2017
When i worked for GOA i had a good time even though it was just work experience i liked how you get more to learn than you expected when you start working with them.
Fast paced and challenging
Administrative Support (AS3) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
Working for the Government of Alberta is extremely satisfying and rewarding. I love the challenge and pace of the office. I enjoy the interaction with the families and the children.
Pros
Rewarding to know you have done a good job
Great job
Senior Advisor, Business + Operational Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2017
I loved this job. Right out of school it was exactly what I wanted. It was a difficult decision to leave in order to pursue my master's degree in Vancouver.
I enjoyed working in all the departments and offices.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Working independently and as a team are my strengths. Enjoy working with the public. I have 30 years experience in the Administrative role, very qualified for any administrative position.
Pros
Number of vacation days
Cons
Working over the Christmas Holidays
Interesting work helping vulnerable Albertans with their tax and financial affairs.
Taxation Officer - Temp (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
The Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee is charged with assisting those Albertans who are deemed by Court Order incapable of managing their finances by themselves.
The Public Trustee monitors the clients' investments and tax returns to maximize their personal holdings.
Very capable people are looking out for the best interests of the clients.
average workplace, great environment, though the payscale is a bit questionable on some positions
Procurement Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
If you work hard and is very respectful they will definitely keep you. System-wise, they are a bit slow and old school compared to private firms. Way behind than private firms but then when you think of the extra benefits and the culture, you will stay. That is, if you are the type of person who is laid back and contented with a normal job.
Have to be truthful
Reconciliation Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
Worked with the GOA for 22 years and during that time had very little time that I felt like I was a valued employee. Saw wage rollbacks, freezes and cutbacks and through it all those that remained never felt valued.
Pros
Wage paid most of the bills
Cons
Wage wasn't enough to get ahead
Residents are a positive challenge and very rewarding.
Team Lead of Residential Support Services (Current Employee) –  Gunn, AB15 May 2017
Can be very rewarding to assist residents to get a positive life back with challenges, but must be able to do this with limited support. There is a full set up including nutritional life skills, doctors, medical heath, etc.
Pros
Good money and benefits
Cons
Limited support for staff
Loved my job!
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 May 2017
Loved it! It was a great place to work because of the people and the benefits. Worked a lot. It was a very full tim ejob and I would love to work it again. Hopefully I will.
Cons
No weekends off.
Supportive work environment
Learning Clicks Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
In this job I worked independently, and simultaneously with a team. I created my own schedule, setting up presentations at schools throughout Alberta, and worked with youth from ages 9-18 years old. The workplace was very supportive as it made sure everyone on the team was offered assistance and guidance when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel, present, and constantly meet new people.
Pros
Travel, meet new people, and present
Cons
Long hours of travel on the road
Best Employer I've Had
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2017
I've been with the Alberta Climate Change Office for approximately four months, and so far it is has been the best employer I've had, for the following reasons:

- An unbelievably skilled group of employees. My peers are highly educated, and are recognized experts in their respective disciplines.
- Excellent system of peer review. All work is given is proper consideration, and provided excellent, fact-based feedback.
- Excellent system of work collaboration, which involves simultaneous authorship using Sharepoint.
- Managers and Executives seem willing to accept two-way feedback (although I might be wrong about this, and they might be tired of my thoughts and ready to suffocate me!)
- Excellent system for writing summary documents and asking for written input. Key insights are summarized into an accessible system, providing a gold mine of readily available information.
- All employees generally have excellent writing and communication skills. My own writing skills are deficient by comparison.
- Good defined benefits pension plan, which is highly secure since it is part of a public sector pension plan.

However, there is always of course some room for improvement:
- Sometimes excessive workload with extremely tight timelines, which can conflict with work/life balance.
- Due to the high workload and ambitious deadlines, there may be too much reactive work and not enough proactive planning.
- It seems that some deadlines are fabricated and not based on actual requirements.
- Too much focus on the conceptual big picture, and not enough focus on details and analysis
  more... at times. Analysis results could be better used to guide decision making.  less
Pros
Fascinating work, top notch teams, highly skilled individual contributors, receptive management, good benefits.
Cons
Public sector pay will never match the private sector
Amazing program
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Onoway, AB5 April 2017
Easy placement, understanding of the children's needs and disabilities. Didn't cause any problems when it came to transferring the children to there appointments. Never made a fuss when it came to transporting the children to there birth parents back to the foster home.
Great Experience
JUSTICE AND SOLICITOR GENERAL (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 March 2017
Great place to gain experience. Provide training and lots of supports. Political game can get to be a bit much but there are a lot of wonderful, hard working people.
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2017
Great people and an amazing experience as a consultant was gained. Learned recruitment process, arbitration prep, grievances and writing disciplinary letters. Most enjoyable part was people/managers.
Confusion between Ministries
QA/BUSINESS ANALYST/SOFTWARE RELEASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
The GoA have many Ministries who do not speak with one another. They do not know what each are doing and do not consider the impact of what they are completing on other departments.
Could be a good place to work but...
Grounds Maintenance - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2017
It really varies from department to department. Most work colleagues I've spoken to like their job but not their bosses, and upper management. They do not treat the lower minions with the respect that they need and should have. This comes from employees that have worked here from 50 to 1st year.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Management can be disgraceful at times.
Adminstrative
Record all chques to the daily data entry (Current Employee) –  9820-106street13 March 2017
Working with clients.
Mail sorting, reporting chq's.
All adminstrative work calling clients with information about mailing process.
heavy boxes.
Great mangement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.