Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Fun workplace
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits, hours of work
• Preparing all offer letters, position extension letters, relocation agreements and contract of employment
• Initiating and maintain competition in the system and by creating, maintaining, closing and auditing manual competition files.
• Recruitment and selection to entry level wage positions by preparing advertising, pre-screening applications, administering testing.
• Setting up interviews, preparing interview package, participating in the interviews as required, conducting reference checks, verbal offers and preparing and conducting reference checks.
• Assists employees with file reviews and destruction of documents following the appropriate procedures and guidelines
• Make travel arrangements including vehicle and hotel bookings
• Maintains all administration and position files and disposition of the same as well as disposition of employee relations files.
• Commencement and orientation of new employees
• Generate various reports for Managers and Human Resource Consultants
• Scheduling appointments , operation standard office equipment and processing both incoming and outgoing mail
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons: politics
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Has freedom of movement. Able to organize my work as I want to.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: respectable work
Cons: affected by frequent change of top management
> Check my assignment regularly in the morning and in the afternoon, and organize my work for the day and the following days accordingly.
> Coordinate my activities with my superior.
> Hold discussions with co-workers
> Conduct field inspections, and issue orders for compliance when needed to employers
> Provide health and safety information to my employers and workers
> Remain calm in conduct of my work. I learned to be open minded.
> It was hardest to deal with uncooperative employers and workers but I always maintained diplomatic approach.
> It was most enjoyable everyday after a field inspection when I am able to educate workers and employers on safeguarding the health and safety of themselves and their work site.
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 29, 2013
Pros: extremely busy.
Cons: contract work, not permanent.
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests.
Enjoyed working for a summer job with the Government of Alberta
In province and Out of Province Claims Unit (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: monday to friday work week, great co-workers and leads to work with.
Cons: when days were slow, finding more work to do!
I starting working for the Government of Alberta as a summer job, before attending my first year of school with Norquest College.
I worked hard and learned alot about the claims submissions, filing, and inputing information into the claims program. The co-workers were very helpful and enjoyed the over all work atmosphere.
I left to start my schooling but, took alot of training and understanding of the government enviroment with me. Would like to be able to apply and work for the Alberta Government again one day.
Productive with great co-workers.
Land Titles Office - Land Titles Senior Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 8, 2012
Pros: my co-workers are the best, the benefits and hours are great.
Cons: i have been working for the government for 33 years. a change will be good.
There was a lot of in-house training required for this job. Production is required and you cannot proceed without knowing the applicable statutes and case law. I enjoy my current job but loved working as an Administration Assistant (my job as an Admin. Assistant ended because all administrative duties were moved to Edmonton). The people I work with are great and I never have to take work home with me.
Working for the Government of Alberta was a very rewarding experience.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), ABFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Training was encouraged in areas that benefit your working environment.
Cons: None that I can think of at the moment.
A typical work day with the Government of Alberta offered me many opportunities to experience varied tasks and skill sets. I truly valued the environment of working within a team that strives to make a difference in the lives of the people of Alberta. Working with a purpose fits into my personal values setting, and was provided within this organization.
Great Job
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2013
Worked on contracts of the sustainable resource department. Alongside contract review and data entry, basic financial auditing was also done on a daily basis. Review and ensuring that the financial transaction were completed correctly and that there were no errors in the numbers and if so that they were reported. Lots of opportunities to take on more roles was always there, which was a great way to learn more, also was one of the best parts of the job. Management was extremely helpful when it came to training and guidance at work.
Met alot of very interesting people
Administrative Support (Former Employee), ABDecember 10, 2012
Pros: great hours
Cons: some employees had terrible work ethics
I was very busy from the time I arrived until I left for the day.
I learned alot of very interesting things.
Management was great and some of the co-workers were not.
The hardest part of the job was when you had to be in more than one place at the same time, especially when we were transitioning from the old courthouse to the new one.
The most enjoyable part was working at my desk and getting alot accomplished and not having to run all around the courthouse.
Alberta Law Courts good to work for
Amdministrative Support 2 (Contract Position) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
Pros: steady time schedual
Cons: only contract work
You need to be well organized and be able to deal with stress. Co-workers are well trained and are willing to train and help new staff. Hard part of the job is to stay on track of dead lines. Most enjoyable part of the job after knowing what tasks are to be done, is to work independently. The hardest part of the job was to get full time work. I was wanting to stay in the postion that I had at the Albert Law Courts, but I was only hired on a contract basis.
Good place to work, however little chance for advancement
Asst. Provincial Wildlife Disease Specialist (Current Employee), EdmontonMay 16, 2013
Pros: work with wildlife
Cons: mis management of assets
The work conditions at the GOA are great, however, I find that management has little interest in developing their employees and tends to mis-manage their employee assets. I have had over 15 years of experience working with caribou, however, given that I work with disease, I have never been considered as an asset toward caribou work in the province. Pigeon holes are widely accepted here.
Our office was like family
Business Manager-Child Welfare (Former Employee), Edson AlbertaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: unequal pay scale
*We all worked together your position rank never made you unavailable for any task that needed performing we were a team.
*I learned compassion, understanding of people, and the ability to mentor.
*My co-workers were the best, we were always able to help one another, and be there for each other
*The hardest part of the job was sometimes following policies
*Our potlucks for special occasions
Productive and responsible enviromemt with fun employees
Corrections Admin Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 12, 2014
My job with Goverment of Alberta was very intresting and challenging . My typicall day would start with answering emails from previous day and going in doing payroll fo180 employees. I was responsible for supervising employees and handling onfidential matters. Yet being stressfull our team always made an effort that our day goes by without any to minimal stress.
Is a productive and fun workplace to always be
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: free summer barbecue
- Attending to client, coding mail in database and other assign
duties.
- To be organize and meet schedule deadline.
- I managed my time and resource well, make a follow-up for
my client to achieve their goal.
- My co-workers are so helpful to achieve the soft skill and culture
in Canadian office.
- Difficult client to please.
- Be able to solve client issue and make him or her happy.
Mundane for Administrators
Solicitor General & Public Security (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 17, 2012
Pros: compressed work week program
Cons: limited growth
The day consists manily of data entry, answering the telephone, booking appointments and answer inquiries.

Learnt Acom, a PC application for data entry.

Co-workers are wonderful we encourage one another to sustain a active healthy life style.

There are no challenges to the job and the most enjoyable part of the day is when new files arrive.
Room for personal growth and advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton ABNovember 18, 2014
Pros: paid time off
You never know what the day will bring, with absent upper level management cover off on my part. I've learned something new everyday, and I absorb it all in! Management were there to assist in problems, employees were having. The hardest part was the working with different work ethics. I enjoyed the many great people I have met along the way.
Fast Pace, Collaborative and Highly Learning Environment, Corporate Culture.
System Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2014
Pros: work life balance, good hours, flexible timing, corporate culture.
Cons: slow or no advancement in career.
Fun working environment, Co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help, Decent compensation and benefits, and earned days off.
People who talk big and more are not essentially more trusted and knowledgeable.
Coordinated support services for a new application introduced for social workers.
Manager Support Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2015
As manager of the support service desk my main responsibilities were to ensure that social workers had all the support they needed to use the new computer application. This included coordinating 8 support staff in the day to day duties needed, ensuring on-going training, and documentation was up to date.
Love this job
File Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: breakfast meetings with nice co-wokers
Cons: 6 months contract job
This job was one of my favourites. Love typing, typing legal documents and other documents, answered phones, transferred the phone calls to the appropriate social worker, open the mail and distributed it to the right person, love enjoy the time with my co-workers. It was too bad that it was just a 6 months contract job.
Rewarding and fast paced work environment
Policy Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2014
The Government was an excellent place to work, I did a lot of individual projects where I got to decide how and when I wanted to do it. I spent a lot of time doing information management.

I learned a lot about government processes and how decision making is done.

I was a part of many teams and I liked everyone I worked with, people were excellent.
Headquarters