Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Respect and Fun work place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
 Coordinate full cycle recruitment, including advertise positions internally and externally; sort and distribute resumes; prescreen, test and interview candidates; conduct reference, security and academic checks; prepare offer letters; new employee orientation and on boarding.
 Provide HR advice and expertise to hiring managers, such as staffing; performance management; employee relations; HR policy interpretation; employee training and development; compensation and benefits.
 Complete day-to-day HR duties, including processing promotions; terminations; merit raises; lateral movements; employment classification; grievances.
 Create cost effective and innovative recruitment strategies to recruit top candidates to meet the company’s needs.
 Manage over 700 employee files and ensure all documentations comply with government regulations.
No loyalty to employees
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge,Ab7 April 2016
You are just a disposable number. Unless you know how to suck up, you are NOTHING!!! You can work your butt off and it means NOTHING!! Management preaches accountability, respect, integrity but Don't practise what they preach. No matter how much dedication and loyalty you show, it means nothing unless you suck up to the right people. A lot of low life backstabbers employed by the GoA. Useless welfare cases are kept on. Show more ambition than management and youre gone, first lame excuse they can find. Any other company tries to find their employees another position before laying people off. GoA turns you out the door and then comes up with a feeble effort and lame excuses to find you another position.
Pros
Decent benefits as in time off. Oodles of excuses available to get paid time off.
Cons
You are nothing but a disposable number
HIgh Stress-Low Reward
Solicitor General (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2016
Good benefits and decent pay, but that's about it. Stress level is through the roof when working there, and don't always expect to get your days off without being pressured to take overtime shifts
secured place to work
Individual Support Worker (IS2) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
No more client intake so waiting only until it will closed.Give us rotation shift.Work with high risk individual.good benefits
Pros
benefit
Cons
shifting
Great workplace and beautiful park
Park Serivces Ranger (Former Employee) –  Garner Lake Provincial Park, AB20 August 2016
I was pleased to be able to work with the other staff and the campers at Garner Lake Provincial Park to make this summer a great one. I enjoyed making connections with surrounding communities, helping campers enjoy their stay, and keep the park safe. I aided in beautification projects and daily tasks outside of my job to aid in the preservation and development of the park. I gained valuable experience, knowledge, and interpersonal skills during this time period,
Great work experience
Junior Forest Ranger Member (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB1 September 2016
It was a great summer job! i highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the forestry industry. I made friends for life and honed many of my skills such as leadership and organization. A typical day was always different as the crew leaders always had a new work project for us each day.
Pros
Great work experience, Job diversity
Cons
Lots of driving
Enjoyable and challenging workplace
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
The job involved a multitude of tasks ranging from duty work to project work. The co-workers were amazing and the management pushed you to do your best and was appreciative when you did.
Pros
People, Interesting Tasks, Management
Cons
Building Locations
Excellent place to work
Warehouse and Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Excellent place to work, managers were always supportive with feedback. I just wish there wasn't so much red tape. I was hired through an agency that told me 10-12 weeks, I blew through the work needed. Contract was then terminated and they are in the process of requisitioning more hours.
Stressful, split minute decisions , safety of all, control of inmate movements/ activity
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2016
Hard on you mentally , physically but most important it's really hard on your family , I'm proud to be a correctional officer and I love my job . But my family feels a bit different so , I got to do what's best for all of us !
Pros
Government pension, union
Cons
Mentally, physically, emotionally draining
Investigator
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
Very challenging and dynamic work, I love the challenge of this job. The government can be a bit frustrating but it is worth it for the great work environment
The Government of Alberta paid for the supplies.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
I was trained on tools, paint,wood. I made my supplies work on jobs that came in. I was sent to job sites and finished them. The many jobs where done.
Pros
Finished all the job.
Cons
Never asked to work in that field again.
Productive and fun work place
Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
• Create scripts to gather information about applications, server and domain statistics.
• Create documentation for project oriented tasks and steady state tasks.
• Test migration and provide post-migration support
• Steady State support and management of servers in a multi domain and multi-client environment.
• Assist and develop disaster recovery solution for client servers.
• Assist incoming incident, change and task oriented tickets
fun
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 July 2016
I really enjoyed working at Diamond carpet center; the management was great and supportive. the pay was okay but working with the people there was a lot of fun.
Good organization to be part of
Industrial Approvals Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB26 June 2016
Excellent management with great support to complete projects.
government of Alberta does a great job to serve the public.
fun workplace
Stevedore (Former Employee) –  Worsley, AB18 June 2016
although the work place had alot to do we away managed to get everything done quick and had time to spare in doing other stuff. the people are very kind and understanding i like the work place a lot.
Pros
free food, nice place to sleep, great working environment, amazing staff
Cons
not being able to stay longer
Dynamic and supportive environment
Driver Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
Very fulfilling experience. Allowed me to gain a tremendous skill of communicating with all types of general public, including the newcomers to Canada. Allowed me to learn how to quickly react in dangerous situations.
Working here can reach your potential
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton11 August 2015
Helping the vulnerable people makes me feel very happy. We are having a lot of teamwork activities in our workplace such as building Legos, bake sale for fundraiser, helping set up with communities BBQ, blood drive etc.
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2013
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Pros
Very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons
Politics
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta29 May 2013
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests.
Pros
Extremely busy.
Cons
Contract work, not permanent.

4.2