Gottlieb Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Does not care for employees
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL3 January 2017
Company is quick to kick professionals to the curb. No possibilities for advancement. Upper management does not care for their own. No room for growth. No education reimbursement
Horrible, run if you can
PCA (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL22 December 2016
GMH , was a horrible place to work, no room for advancement, turnover rates with Nursing Managers are very high....I worked here for 2 years and had 5 different managers..... my coworkers were the best. A typical day at Gottlieb depends on how your manager felt about you and not your work , scheduling on my unit was horrible! You could make a request and have it ignored..... overall the heads of this hospital does not care about the staff no matter how good of a job you do ! For them it's personal.....
Pros
Coworkers and free parking
Cons
Low pay
Interesting and challenging
Kitchen Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 August 2016
The opportunity is there for you to learn something new everyday.
To create a new dish that people try is rewarding. I like the fact that the teachers push you and bring out the best in you
Pros
free lunches
Good place to work.
Driver, Dispatatcher (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL4 August 2016
I work at Gottlieb Hospital for 8 years and loved my job. They down sized my department and I was let go.
I picked up patients for there appointments at the hospital and when they were finished took them home.
It was very rewarding for me.
My co-workers and supervisor were great.
The rewarding feelings I got I will always remember.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Some patients were very ill and passed on. I truly felt badly.
very satisfied with Gottlieb
Case manager-Homecare (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, Il3 January 2017
I have always enjoyed my work at Gottlieb/Loyola. They are very patient focused, and always empowering us to do our very best.
I wouldn't take road kill there and neither would the paramedics
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL17 March 2013
A typical day is chaotic. There are no in-services compared to other top rated hospitals I worked at. Management did not listen to the concerns of the staff and how short-handed we were. Co-workers left you on you on. This hospital is rate #30 in US World News and I think this is generous but I don't believe you can go down further. The doctors do no examine their patients nor exhibit concern especially in the ER. As a patient I was thoroughly disgusted, they spelled my name wrong on my paperwork I wanted transferred to my regular physicians. I won't take road kill there.
Pros
good salary
Cons
your staff rns did not help you
Cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL29 December 2015
Great experience for first time cook. Full time with benefits are a great plus. Training provided for position and great on job experience.
Able to do what I am passionate about.
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL27 May 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is the patients, and help care for them and meet their needs during their stay on my unit. A typical day at work is caring for the patients, passing out medications, attending to their needs, consulting with the doctors, addressing family concerns, admitting new patients and discharging as well. I adore my co-workers, we make a pretty solid team. When I need them they are there to help me in any way, and I for them. We all want what is best for the patients, and to give them the care that they deserve. I have really great coworkers. The management team is not as strong as I would expect, but with the lack of management assistance, I think it makes the staff stronger to pull together and work as a team. The hardest part of the job is sometimes being assaulted by the patients, but in this field, it is to be expected that not everything is going to run smoothly, and it is a daily learning lesson on how to overcome new obstacles. Working in this field has broadened my horizons and given me more skills to move forward within my career, such as team building skills, time management, and being quick to adapt and conquer any challenging situation.
Productive, fun, respective environment
Medical (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL29 August 2013
Great opportunities for career enhancement, Respectful co-workers and open minded management
Pros
Good benefits and raises
Cons
Short breaks
Overall not bad place to work if you keep your head down
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL20 August 2014
Typically work is the same everyday. There are various jobs that needed to be done, therefore work is divided up with the co-workers who come to work. If your short supervisors do great with picking up the slack and giving a helping hand. Co-workers a typical people you meet everyday, nice people everyone means well. Hardest part of the job is clean up, at the end of the shift. Management isn't hands on which hurts when needed. Management is hard to work with and isn't helpful. Although they do want to have an open door policy it doesn't really work that way. Its best to work with supervisors, they are the best.
Pros
Supervisors are nice and hands on
Cons
Management is very distant from department; doesn't have good knowledge of employees
good hospital .fun to be a part of team
Med Tech (Former Employee) –  melrose park. Il30 September 2015
different hours everyday.I learned to perform blood banking here.
management was good. coworkers were team players. hardest part of job was phlebotomy and most rewarding part was flexibility.
Fun environment
Volunteer, Outpatient Lab (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL14 January 2016
Show up every Saturday and just relax while waiting for tasks to do such as run the blood to the main lab and start running the samples or restock the outpatient lab. CO-workers and managers were great to work with all the time.
Pros
Free meal, network of people
Cons
Gloomy environment
My productive on my job is B
Patient Account (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL28 May 2013
My day start with me pulling my work from the medtech system; following up on all reminder. after that is done, I start with the Epic system make sure every reminder is done in that system, and after that done i write up my charity application, making sure the patients has provide me with all documents thats need to process the application , if not make a call to them and let them know what is missing.I make calls to all commerical (Blue Cross, United Health care, Aetna) insurance companys that has under paid, and make sure they pay us according to the contracts and explain to them how we should have got paid. Once that is done I follow up on workers' compensation claim and make sure they pay us according the workers compensation guidelines.The hardest part of my job is making sure each patient give me the documents i need to process the application. The most enjoyable part of my job is help the patient and making sure the hospital get paid for the service that was provide.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
no overtime
Great athmosphere and people to work with but understaffed
Computed Tomography Technologist (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL17 January 2014
There no such thing as a typical day at work at Gottlieb Hospital. Every day was different and presented new challenges. A typical day can consist of walking through the doors and having a line of patients waiting to have their exam performed or just simply having a stead flow of patients throughout the day. We never knew how busy or slow the ER or O.R can get so every day brought new challenges. Gottlieb Hospital was always being bought out either by Loyola or Trinity so are management was always implementing new rules. I couldn't say anything bad about any of my co workers since all of them are great people and great workers, most of them became some of my good friends over the years that I worked with them. They always had my back during work and outside of work and we always worked as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job was actually helping any patient that walked through the door and receiving a Thank You and a warm smile from them at the end of our exam.
Pros
Close to home, free holiday lunches
Cons
No lunch break during my CT shift
environment with various diagnoses to help strengthen all nurses' skills
RN, BSN, orthopedic/surgical/med surg nurse (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL19 February 2014
Showing up for work early to obtain pertinent patient information, such as labs, abnormal test results, and the patients' overall goals for the day. After introducing myself with my favorite phrase, "Hello, my name is Jennifer and I will be your nurse caring for you today." I believe this establishes a good rapport with the patient and myself, and may alleviate anxiety related to being in the hospital or feeling alone. I consult with doctors during their briefing and learn about diagnoses, plan of care and new medications. I respect management, and I am flexible if needed due to census changes. Teamwork with co-workers helps build professional relationships, but also trust to obtain the best outcome for our patients. The hardest part of being a nurse is seeing a patient give up hope for personal reasons. The most enjoying part of nursing is helping patients reach their goals towards recovery, and feeling as though you made a difference by helping a person in need.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
remembering to stay hydrated
Nice, Clean place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL23 January 2014
This was just an experience i had it wasn't a job.

Scheduling appointments
Ordering supplies
Helping patients
Pros
Good benefits, pay rate
Cons
long Hours
Productive and Fun workplace with peers
Janitorial Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 June 2015
It would be okay and normal. I learned about Doctor's Clinics. The management was good. The co-workers were respectful. The hardest part was nothing.The most enjoyable part was everything.
Pros
Peers
Cons
Short Breaks
Terrible Place for Competent Med Techs
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park,IL18 October 2014
If you're a lab tech avoid this place at all costs! The PM shift is absolutely terrible. Favoritism is rampant, and a culture of blame prevails. You will be forced to work the night shift when one of the two night techs calls in sick (FMLA), which is often. You will be undervalued and unappreciated for any extra effort you give them. The two managers have been there their entire careers - almost 40 years each and have unfortunately arrived at a place in their careers where the thought of retiring is all they care about. They don't care about patient safety. Given that NOBODY applies here when they post a job, they're forced to hire from the bottom of the barrel just to "have a body" as the managers say. As such, you will be forced to work with completely incompetent techs who are never held accountable for their failures (reporting incorrect results . . . worst case: a positive HIV reported as negative . . . and the tech still works there without any reprisals). The two managers have ruled their roosts for almost 40 years with minimal oversight. Now that this small community hospital is being gobbled up by a large organization (Trinity Health), they're fighting the major changes taking place and unwilling to adapt. The hypocrisy here is palpable - LUHS (the parent company) claims to foster a culture of patient safety when in fact this labortory laughs at that goal. However, if you're a good tech, you'll be the one who's work is scrutinized. This place is absoutley backwards. No wonder lead techs are stepping down and quitting en masse. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT work here  more... unless you're a glutton for punishment and strive to work for the worst managers ever.  less
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Wow
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL15 January 2015
So i was unfortunate to work for the worst manager in the company. I quickly found out that if you did not work when you were asked to come in on your day off you would be penalized by having to work an extra weekend on the next schedule.
many people were fired or quit in my short time there. I did have some great coworkers and the food was not bad in the caf when we actually had a chance to have more than 3 minutes for lunch.
educational and enjoyable
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, IL9 July 2012
i enjoy the company that i am currently employed at ... my coworkers are fun to be with, we get plenty of experience in patients of all ages and scenerios, get to keep up with my CME's
Pros
holidays are time and a half, including birthday, mildly flexible schedule
Cons
i love my career, but i feel like im always working