Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
busy grocery store
Cashier (Former Employee), woodhaven michiganSeptember 24, 2013
busy grocery store especially during holidays, nice managers,willing to work with your schedule
Great values
Lead Ammonia Tec (Former Employee), Piedmont SCSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: stable, christian values
Cons: management is in the dark.
Good company values, Good incentive/compensation. PM Incentives are attractive as well as the value/culture. This company cares about family.
A great place to work
Yard Switcher Operator (Former Employee), Clay Avenue, Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2013
Pros: flexiblity of the company
Typical day at work: Check what is in trailers. Moving trailers to specific docks that are requested. Pulled trailers away from dock when emptied. Making sure the trailers are fueled and running properly.
Management was very flexible.
Learned people skills and how to deal with everyday tasks.
Family owed Company
Store Manager (Former Employee), IndianaSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: family owned
Cons: long hours
Gfs is a good place to work. They care about customer service. They offer a great product.
Family business run with integrity and honesty
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MISeptember 6, 2013
Pros: got to work with so many wonderful people, enjoyed putting through orders and learning all about gordon products, building relationships, being part of a first class company.new
Cons: i cannot think of any!
I really enjoyed working with this team--loved talking to the account reps, getting to know them and helping them do the best job possible for the customer. Every call was a new adventure--could be a late truck, new business opportunity to pass on to the appropriate area rep., helping a caller get the right info regarding allergy concerns, power outages, – more... --such a variety that there's never a dull moment. I even got to handle some basic IT support calls-just first level stuff, but it made me feel special that I could help with the tech. side of the business too! – less
Poor upper management
shift leader (Former Employee), mentor, OHSeptember 4, 2013
I was a shift leader at gfs. Our district manager was terrible. The turn over for managers and asst. managers was high. He had his favorites who could do no wrong and then there were managers like mine who were AMAZING but he drove him out of the company in less then 2 years. Despite him, I loved the job. My associates were like family. Everyone got – more... along very well and helped eachother out. The company offers quarterly bonuses and many contest where you can earn cash bonuses and/or various gift cards. But be prepared to work with very little time for breaks or lunch. There is no set break or lunch schedule unless you are a minor. I use to take a bite of my lunch then literally have to jump up to answer a phone or provide back up to a cashier. Very fast paced environment. I think whether or not you enjoy the job or not depends on the type of managers you work for. They can make you either hate the job or love the job. – less
Good benefits and pay, but main boss is very self absorbed and doesn't care about his team.
Driver (Current Employee), FloridaSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: working on own, and benefits
Cons: transportation manager
I work out of central Florida. Two day runs working at night and sleeping during the day. I enjoy the job, and the benefits and pay are good, but our TM is not a real good guy.
Fast paced, busy atmosphere
Product Acquisition Analyst (Former Employee), New Windsor NYAugust 27, 2013
Was responsible for purchasing and maintaining acceptable levels of inventory. Had been employed for same company through 2 acquisitions and worked there for 29 years.
Good steady employment
CDL A T tractor trailer driver (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIAugust 26, 2013
Pros: unusual perks, fair pay
Cons: a lot of politics going on at all levels. a great deal of apprehension.
A reputable business that offers many unique benefits and opportunities to the right person.
Typically you start very early and get done when you get it done.The management is generally selected from the inside which is not always a good thing. If you are in a job that requires physical labor the work will be very high frequency and very demanding. – more... The best part of working at GFS is the annual meeting. – less
nice enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burbank, ILAugust 19, 2013
i enjoyed this job. there was a lot of nice staff and great energy. management was very understand a willing to support their staff.
fun work place
truck driver (Former Employee), ILAugust 9, 2013
best job i ever had loved the hours and a great place to work. hard work though.
Very Good Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 8, 2013
Worked here only as a sales associate during high school, but from what I experienced there were no concerns with job security or with management. For full time employees the benefits are also good.
great employer
Custodian (Former Employee), Shepherdsville, KYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: free luch at the meetings
Cons: half hour lunch breaks
I was in a dept,that did micro-management.great job and hours were good to.no hard work here.employees were fun to work with,
Good part time job to have.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2013
Pros: schedule friendly
Cons: pay and benefits
management work with you wheather your going to school or working another job. Good team of employees they have working for them.
Got to help set up the store
Stocker (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 12, 2013
I helped set up the store and stock the shelves. Was intending on being a cashier but ended up stocking the freezers.
Friendly Atmosphere, and Great Staff
Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dayton, OHJuly 6, 2013
Pros: flexibility with scheduling, clean work place, friendly staff
Cons: short breaks, demanding, and tiring.
A typical day at Gordan Food Service would consist of assisting customers with any questions or concerns that may be brought to the attention of the staff, Answering telephone calls, and completing daily task that management has for the sales associate.
Working at Gordon Food Service has taught me that running a large Corporation is very difficult. – more... Especially when it comes to Customer service. Understanding that not every customer is going to be in a great mood and that not everyone you work with is either. At all times you absolutely must remain professional and not let your views or moods get in the way of what (GFS) stands for. (GFS) has also taught me being organized and knowing product is key in being successful in sales.
The Management at GFS was Great! Not only are they very understanding of things that may come about outside of work, they are more than willing to work around these issues. At times management can be a little demanding, but they will never have the staff do anything that they couldn't accomplish themselves.
My Co-workers are like family. They have their days where their personal lives may affect their moods at work but for the most part they all are using (GFS) to propel them further in life, and are a blast to work with. Everyone takes their job very seriously and works extremely hard to meet the daily goals of the company.
The Hardest part of the Jobs would be completing truck. Every Monday, Wed, and Friday Mornings and Afternoons a truck arrives to the store for Sales Associates to stock. It is VERY tiring and can be ailing to the back.
The most enjoyable part at Gordon Food Service would be sampling the new foods that arrive and just showing up everyday for work. we have a fun time while working. There's always something new happening at (GFS) – less
worked with my schedule
cashier/ stocker (Former Employee), mansfield ohioJune 6, 2013
good company to work for, takes care of employees, flexible hours
fun workplace
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJune 5, 2013
A fun place to work but not if someone is looking for full time hours.
Store Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fairfield, OHMay 22, 2013
Great environment
Great management, and co-workers, easy job and easy hours
Strong Service Culture and Family Values
District Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMay 19, 2013
Great Company to work for. Strong focus on development growth ( business and personal) and very high customer service expectations.

About Gordon Food Service

For more than 110 years, Gordon Food Service has been honoring our promises to our customers and our employees. As the largest – Read more

Gordon Food Service Photos