Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Joke company
Selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 March 2015
Just check retention rate….you will not see the same employee for more than 2 weeks… If you have no ambition in life than this is the company for you………Picture yourself in the same isle of a grocery store for 10-?( you work till the work order is complete) cause those are the hours. Worked xmas eve,boxing day and new years day and they gave me an 8 hour lieu day in which you have to submit and have okayed by some fat blind moron but because you work 10 hour plus shifts you cannot use an 8 hour lieu day until you have 10 plus hours of lieu
Pros
nothing
Cons
all team leads and management are your high school kids that got picked on
long hard work with good pay
Sales Service Delivery Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  milton on20 February 2015
GFS is a good place to work. its highly paid, but you work you butt off for it. long hours are made up for by the occasional free lunch with lots of exercise.
Pros
Free Food (occasionally)
Cons
Very good benefits and salary.
Monteur de commandes (Former Employee) –  Boucherville6 February 2015
I picked orders in the freezers with many other people it was a very tight space and very competitive as most of our salary was based on efficiency this made for a lot of friction between employees yelling matches where a daily occurrence.

Management had many flaws, they were very young and inexperienced with the position and favored their friends resulting in special treatment other employees didn't get, further fueling the friction between some employees.Incident reports where also not being forwarded to human resources so consequences were rarely seen causing many security risks for employees

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people that had a short fuse and working in the -50 freezer year round without adequate gloves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the really good benefits and the very nice salary.
Pros
very good salary and benefits
Cons
management was very underwhelming to much friction with employees no safety.
Fun team friendly atmosphere
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milton, Ontario5 February 2015
Typical day consisted of running sales reports, updating system data and pricing, dealing with vendors, and providing pricing and product information for sales reps and specialists.

I learned how to become more self dependent

Loved working for my boss which brought out the best in me.

Hardest part of the job was trying to explain how our category varied from the other ones and could not necessarily be treated the same as the food based categories.

I enjoyed the challenge and fast pace environment.
Pros
I enjoyed the work culture that the company had
Cons
Difficult being a square peg that was being forced into a round hole
Gordon Food Service
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2015
Gordon Food Service was a great company to work for. I loved the physically demanding, fast paced work environment. Great people and management. Basic day to day work routine that involved unloading product into stores and restaurants. Using quality organization and customer service skills was an asset. Some skills that I learned included using equipment; such as, hand dollies, pallet lifters, power pallet lifters and hand held computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was; working in an outside environment and getting a workout. Overall, Gordon Food Service was a great company to be apart of.
Pros
Physically Demanding, Outside Environment, Free Food.
Cons
Early Start, Long hours.
Are you prone to money? It's a meatgrinder
supervisor (Current Employee) –  milton,on7 January 2015
A typical day: mindless rush from Milton, waiting for loads to be done up to 3 hours waiting a day for runs that take 14 hrs to finish = 17 hrs. Nobody cares if you exceed your hours.
You have to use company equipment, cart, scanner, logbook, circle check, report sheets to fill out prior departure and after arrival. Occasionally unload your own trailer.
Your shift going to start between 2 -8 am.
You'll have 5-20 calls a day, average 18 for good with long walks and hard to access entrances, deliver through live kitchens walking by 2 inches from flames as high as 2 feet; some quick drop offs as well.
Forget lunch break, eat whenever you can - while driving, delivering, but can't stop. It's the "war room" mentality.
How it works? Senior drivers 10+ years at GFS will have average 10 calls a day, new drivers will have average 18.
You'll have to scan every single cases as of scanning time 0-20 second/item plus the investigation of missing bar codes that cannot be scanned.
Your pay is good, but the value runs will be assigned to friends and buddies and seniors, and who are blending in. However the good pay does not measure up with the job we demand you to do.
Great thing for new drivers we have automatic tractors, that are slow to enhance delivery speed.
Manifest has a time limit for each call, and the time is underestimated in most cases, always. The addresses are mostly correct, some are not, so good luck finding it!
Over the years I did learn that whoever criticises the management, will be dismissed from work soon enough, although we say that we are open to listen, but
  more... only to save our butts, not yours.
The job we ask new hires to do is extremely exhausting that is why the turn over rate is nearly 70%, and on that level guys quit sooner than they would reach the level of seniority. The real seniority of the drivers is about 5-10%, the rest is new hire and temp agencies.
The problem, I mean the success is that we are expanding more than we can cover.
Business friendship works with some of us. You make friends with us, and some of us will give easier runs for friends than the regular ones. This friendship will lasts till we feel our jobs endangered by you.
Management will listen and then we explain why your new idea to make it better will not work - the idea did not come from us, and we want to be the top of everything. We can't even propose your new idea as our, because every one of us will gain enemies among supervisors if any of us comes up with a new idea. If you have personal issues with one of us- you'll have-granted; and you approach any of us, well, we are going to team up, and defend ourselves against anyone to keep our job intact and steady. For you, new hires, there is no job security: you either quit or get laid off quickly if can't adopt to our ways, no matter if you die on the field to make the calls. Everyone is expandable, till reaches a certain level or establishes friendship on business grounds. that is why many good former co-worker supervisors fed up and went to other companies.
Co workers, on your level are 50-50, some are good, and some aren't.
Customer comes first, always. Customer really is our first priority, not you. If customer complains, then we use courier to enforce order. If someone compliments you, then you will be removed to replace another guy who got complaints, because customer really is king and our service to prevail is the first priority at all price. Customers who are telling drivers otherwise, are wrong.
The hardest part of the job is to blend in, hold your mouth and don't complain about the management, us. Although we are going to make you feel precious from time to time, you are not that much valued, will learn it quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are going home after all this, living for the moment and not thinking of you'll have to come back here in the next morning/evening.
Please come and join, it really is a good place!
Pros
Cons
all
Great place to work, great people, great benefits!
HR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2014
Gordon Food Service is the best company I've had the pleasure of working for. Starting as a temporary worker, I worked to obtain a permanent position, and have now been here 8 years, with time spent in a number of positions.

Throughout my 8 years, I have been given professional development opportunities, opportunities for advancement, and have received recognition for the work I do. The pay is competitive with market, there are great opportunities to earn bonuses and/or incentives, and there is a very comprehensive benefits package, plus company matching RRSP and Profit Sharing programs.

You get out of the company what you put in. Yes, you work hard for your money, but isn't this the case everywhere? It is called work for a reason! Yes, our driving position is very physically labour intensive, but this is made clear from the time of application to the time of interview, and again when the offer is made. Those that are not interested in performing physical labour are given ample opportunities to self-select out before they are hired. Those that don't want to do the work and start with the company anyhow are doing it to earn a quick pay cheque and likely not interested in working hard, regardless of the job.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Profit Sharing, Bonus structure
Good workplace, awesome atmosphere
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC16 October 2014
The management are good and my colleagues are so friendly and helpful.
graveyard shift
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  delta bc15 September 2014
very physical job. shift working schedule. offers overtime all the time
Pros
good pay and good benefits
Cons
management needs improvement
Transportation Clerk
Transportation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON12 September 2014
- Answering and logging all calls coming in the Transportation Office
- Distributing all calls between Transportation and Routing Dept.
- Dealing with Sale Reps., Customer Service, Drivers and Multi Unit Sales
- Process of Driver’s Logs, Processing all Parking Tickets, Backhauls, Route Information IDS Computer System, Extensive use of MS Excel and Word, Road net
Money's not everything
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON26 August 2014
This place was insane long long hours lots of people quitting or getting fired I quit cause they kept all the experienced people in the freezer all the time and took all the terrible temps and put them in the easiest zones possible there's no way your moving up in this company to many ppl ahead of you. If u like slugging boxes all day for 8-13 hours this is a job for u and oh yes u have to hit 100% in 3months or they will fire u it's in ur agreement when u get hired supervisors are awesome lead hands are terrible they sit in the batch office all night and when u need them there never around check either the hall ways (cleaning lady) or outside on there cell phones good luck
Pros
Money benefits co workers
Cons
No life lead hands suck very very cold machines don't work and scanners don't work
Slavery work!!!
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2014
Took the job only because they were hiring new drivers with class one license, just to get experience in driving a truck. Had to unload from 7 to 12 thousands of pounds every day most of the time by myself all just by using a wheeler, long and exhausting hours!They will try to squeeze and use you to the max with time sensitive delivery. Very little driving 90% labor 10% driving. After 6 months I got some experience and found just driving position, no labor for same money, so I would say for the labor you have to do the money is not so great. I would not recommend this company unless you just need some experience in driving or you enjoy VERY HEAVY LABOR.
Pros
Hiring new drivers
Cons
Heavy slavery job!
Productive workplace and friendly environment.
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC23 June 2014
Enjoyable workplace. Some days were long, but I had fun everyday.
Good money, harder you work, more money in your pocket (incentive bonus)
Order selector (material handler) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton9 June 2014
- Checking double pallet power jack for safety,handing jack to pick order by batches and RF scanner, building and wrapping pallets.
- Supposing to pick 730 cases (around 7-10 tons per day depends on batches/customer order) to make incentive bonus, need to manage time really well under minimal supervise in fast pace environment.
- building up body, don't need going to gym, a lot overtime paid.
good
order picker (Former Employee) –  edmonton5 June 2014
good experience had a great time great working hours with benefits in the field of material handler and warehouse person.
hardworker honest and fun
selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 April 2014
im always early, provide all the overtime I can, I work well with outhers
Pros
lunches
Cons
na
Fun place to work,lots of opportunities for growth.
Transportation Driver Trainer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 March 2014
Typical 4 days/10 hour shifts for the driver,lots of OT during peak periods. Training is provided for new Class 1 Drivers.Salary and benefits are great. Good equipment,newer trucks and trailers. Management is OK but needed some improvement. Lots of great and helpful people to work with. Hardest part of the job is physical as this job involves a lot of lifting,but its rewarded with a good salary.Most enjoyable part of the job is to get the job done and that a lot of GFS customers are appreciate the service levels that our drivers are providing every day.
Lots of hours if you want them. very generous with overtime,
Tractor-trailer Delivery Driver Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK, Canada9 March 2014
GFS is an awesome company to work for if you don't mind physical work outside. Day would consist of, showing up for work, grab a truck and hook up to your trailer and deliver to various customers with a wheeler until its empty. Never had a day that felt like it was going by slow. Consistent hours and they hand out overtime to whoever wants to work. Simple work but it is physical and worth the pay. Some customers even feed you.
Pros
overtime, home daily, supply everything needed for work
Cons
outside in any weather, heavy lifting, some long days
Good people
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Milton23 February 2014
Most people are very good. Selectors are hard working but only about one in ten make it a year. If you go in the custodial department, there's about 4 people who are backstabbers and run to the boss for every little thing.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bachstabbers
Labour work, management a bit corrupt.
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Annacis, BC9 January 2014
Overall a decent experience to be had, although nothing that I would consider long term. Most management was not to par with workers. Pays well, though work is extreme.
Pros
High pay, good benefits.
Cons
Long Hours, Unbearable environment, Night shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Gordon Food Service Reviews by Location