Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Used to be a great place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2012
Senior Management unqualified and disconnected from the market/industry. Laid-off employees last year and more are imminent (outsourcing to the US). They do not follow their Cornerstone Values, just words on the wall. Pride themselves on being family owned but don't act as such. Micro-manage employees. Expect increased results with decreased resources. Push till you break mentality. The atmosphere is very negative and unhealthy to be around. Pay is not competitive to the market. Used to be a great place to work. If Management was replaced it could again be a great to place to work.
Joke company
Selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 March 2015
Just check retention rate….you will not see the same employee for more than 2 weeks… If you have no ambition in life than this is the company for you………Picture yourself in the same isle of a grocery store for 10-?( you work till the work order is complete) cause those are the hours. Worked xmas eve,boxing day and new years day and they gave me an 8 hour lieu day in which you have to submit and have okayed by some fat blind moron but because you work 10 hour plus shifts you cannot use an 8 hour lieu day until you have 10 plus hours of lieu
Pros
nothing
Cons
all team leads and management are your high school kids that got picked on
long hard work with good pay
Sales Service Delivery Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  milton on20 February 2015
GFS is a good place to work. its highly paid, but you work you butt off for it. long hours are made up for by the occasional free lunch with lots of exercise.
Pros
Free Food (occasionally)
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
Fun team friendly atmosphere
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milton, Ontario5 February 2015
Typical day consisted of running sales reports, updating system data and pricing, dealing with vendors, and providing pricing and product information for sales reps and specialists.

I learned how to become more self dependent

Loved working for my boss which brought out the best in me.

Hardest part of the job was trying to explain how our category varied from the other ones and could not necessarily be treated the same as the food based categories.

I enjoyed the challenge and fast pace environment.
Pros
I enjoyed the work culture that the company had
Cons
Difficult being a square peg that was being forced into a round hole
warehouse
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton28 August 2013
order selecting
scanpro and warehouse logistics
great management very understanding
coworkers are good fun to work with
picking redlobster batches
free roaming own scheduled
Pros
free lunches some time
Cons
back breaking long hours
Stay away
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC22 October 2015
Over worked with no appreciation. Expectations way to high for any human being. Work to live not live to work. Some managers/supervisors are well lets just say not there for you in anyway.
Lack of advancement
Sales (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC26 August 2015
Based out of a regional office, it can be difficult to see many areas for advancement or improvement within the company.
Great Company, Great People
Delivery Driver, GTA (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON20 October 2015
Great people, changeling work, loving seeing the customers, never doing the same thing over and over something different everyday, great customers
Pros
Work Independently
Cons
No Cons
Slavery work!!!
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2014
Took the job only because they were hiring new drivers with class one license, just to get experience in driving a truck. Had to unload from 7 to 12 thousands of pounds every day most of the time by myself all just by using a wheeler, long and exhausting hours!They will try to squeeze and use you to the max with time sensitive delivery. Very little driving 90% labor 10% driving. After 6 months I got some experience and found just driving position, no labor for same money, so I would say for the labor you have to do the money is not so great. I would not recommend this company unless you just need some experience in driving or you enjoy VERY HEAVY LABOR.
Pros
Hiring new drivers
Cons
Heavy slavery job!
It was a great place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island27 August 2015
It was a great place to work. The night shift was a little rough at first but eventually I got used to it. Unfortunately I had to leave because I am in school currently so I couldnt do night shift.
Pros
Great people, good work enviroment
Cons
night shift
A tough job that pays well
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton ON21 March 2015
Working as a forklift operator at GFS, work begins early in the morning, usually at 6 or 7 AM. Forklift operators need to move skids of product from the staging area to their specific places in the isles of the warehouse in order to be stored. The toughest part of the job is dealing with the freezer, which is kept below -18 degrees Celsius. The best part is the pay, which is upwards of $14 an hour.
Pros
High wage, strong sense of teamwork, good coworkers
Cons
Often have to work an extra hour or so, freezer
A very competative company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
eBusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 April 2013
A very competitive company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
Lots of hours if you want them. very generous with overtime,
Tractor-trailer Delivery Driver Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK, Canada9 March 2014
GFS is an awesome company to work for if you don't mind physical work outside. Day would consist of, showing up for work, grab a truck and hook up to your trailer and deliver to various customers with a wheeler until its empty. Never had a day that felt like it was going by slow. Consistent hours and they hand out overtime to whoever wants to work. Simple work but it is physical and worth the pay. Some customers even feed you.
Pros
overtime, home daily, supply everything needed for work
Cons
outside in any weather, heavy lifting, some long days
Not a happy place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2015
10 hours per day seven days a week

that there is more to life than working 70 plus hours per week

Never saw the management team

Only had phone contact with my co worker which I enjoyed

Working from home

See my customers weekly
Huge pressure to increase sales in a down market
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  British Columbia11 October 2012
Job culture had changed drastically in the past five years. Poor over-all employee moral as many employees have been laid-off as much of the internal transactions have been relocated to US head office. Remaining employees worry about loosing their jobs.
Pros
daily autonomy, customer relationships, travel
Cons
performance pressure, declining remuneration
work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee) –  calgary ab17 September 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC1 September 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
Poor management, they cant make up their minds and lots, lots of politics.
DSR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa18 November 2012
I had to listen to stories that involved senior mgmt being stars all through training and when I got in the field found out it was an "old boys club" at the top and they were all essentially incompetent and discrimatory towards employees in a sneeky and under hande3d fashion. Those were the words of current top achievers in the field.
Cons
car allowance sucked, huge territory and they dragged me to milton whenever they felt like it.
Fair Management
Night Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2015
* They listened to your concerns
* They put notice / changes a week early
* My co-workers are really nice
* hardest part of the job is working at night and lifting heavy stuff in a extremely cold environment
*Most enjoyable is you're not going to be bored while working