Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Store Associate
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee), Findlay, OHJuly 20, 2014
Stocked shelves, sliced meat, cashiered, and worked to assist customers with party planning and special orders.
Great company overall but very poor work/life balance
Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee), Bowling GreenJuly 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits and weekly pay
Cons: long hours and very little free time
A typical day would be assisting customers with products and ensuring orders are filed correctly
working together to comple assignments
Receiver/Lift Operator (Current Employee), Plant city, FLJuly 6, 2014
Pros: free food at times
Cons: n/a
good place to work, Great people, caring management.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Productive and nice place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brooklyn, OHJune 24, 2014
Pros: free food on friday's and saturdays
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work consists of unloading trucks, stocking shelves and assisting customers. The management team is a good team to work for. The co-workers are mostly hard workers and give a helping hand. The hardest part of the job is sometimes trying to keep up with rush of people. The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers. They are very – more... personable and warm. – less
Very Family Like
Cashier (Former Employee), Niles, ILJune 17, 2014
I worked with this company for over a year and when I needed personal/medical time off they had no problem adjusting to my needs and holding my job for me while I was gone
Great Comapny
SCEDULER AND RECEIVING CLERK (Current Employee), Plant City, FLMay 31, 2014
Pros: incentive checks
Excellent company to work for. Ample avenues to grow within this company.
Great Place to Work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMay 22, 2014
Pros: steady work, no layoffs, and merit raises + incentive bonuses
Cons: long hours ... no sleep :-)
A typical day started at 230pm , where I would begin to set-up for the 2nd shift Produce Processing Dept. I used a forklift to locate and deliver raw product to the dept. It was my responsibility to monitor and replace product as the shift progressed, and to fill out a shift report along with usage and throw-out sheets to be handed in prior to end of – more... shift. At times I was called on to assist in the warehouse as needed, which often resulted in a lot of overtime. I learned much from this job in terms of warehouse management, and the importance of paperwork to ensure accurate data for the company database. Also, I learned how to structure my workday to ensure efficiency and smooth flow of production which ensured cash bonuses for production goals.
The best parts of the job were the benefits, such as a retirement fund(self directed investment) safety and attendance bonuses, and profit sharing. Also a great crew to work with. – less
Slow paced work environment
Stocker (Former Employee), Monroe, MIMay 21, 2014
It was a nice place to work.. it was my first job.
management was strict but we got the work done.
great work place, fast pace work environment, very detailed work
sales associate (Former Employee), Middletown, OHMay 20, 2014
Pros: breaks too short, low pay
Cons: sales challenge, great incentives, great moral, motivated job
I enjoyed working for this place, because they worked around my schedule, was very sympathetic to household emergencies. They also had many meetings in which incentives and rewards were given. Great bosses and employee.
Working for GFS
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee), Holland, MIMay 20, 2014
Pros: if you go hungry thats your fault
Cons: on call to customers needs all the time
When I joined the company they were still being run by two of the Gordon Brothers. about 3 years ago that changed as they stepped away from day to day operations. With the new management the culture changed and became much more like Sysco and US Foods. The benefits are awesome. The working on Saturdays and sundays got old after a while. There is a brotherhood – more... with coworkers that is second to none. The training is the best in the industry. One of the best jobs I have ever had in my career. – less
Good Workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, OHMay 15, 2014
Good workplace if you just want a part time job. Management is very nice. Good work environment. Always stay busy.
Good for first timer in a warehouse environment
Fork Lift driver (Former Employee), Plant City, FLMay 13, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: horrible bosses and warehouse conditions are poor
Compaired to publix ware house this place is a dump but with a little work and better management this place could be awesome. The hours can be very long like any warehouse during the holiday seasons. The management team will work with you on any issues you have as long as you prove to be an import an asset to the company. If you get the job, accuretely – more... selecting and working hard you will have no problem securing your position. – less
productive
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee), Plant City, FLMay 12, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: away from home
Gordon food services is a very good company to work for. they do take care of their employees in ever way possible.
great work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIMay 11, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: not enough hours
I learned a lot about each business owner who purchased their products from our store. I enjoyed knowing them on a level that made me familiar with all their wants and needs. I enjoyed my job very much.
Great opportunity
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cleveland, ohApril 28, 2014
It was a great experience to work there. The customers were the best and enjoyable part of my job
Great place to work, the harder you work the more you make
Sales service driver (Former Employee), Wyoming, MIApril 22, 2014
Pros: good compensation, good benefits, management was always fair
Cons: make up days after the holidays
Best job I ever had, regret leaving every day. As a sales service driver you can work at your own pace if you want to get out early work fast, if not take your time. You start early / between 3:00 and 5:00 mon- fri and go home when your truck is empty. The work is hard but rewarding. Management was very understanding and flexible
Awesome Company!
Menu & Vacation Route Specialist (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INApril 18, 2014
A great group of people to work with! Managers have an open door policy. Had to leave company due to relocation.
A great company to work for
Leader (Current Employee), Ocala, FLApril 8, 2014
Pros: dedicated to its customers, excellent owners, great benefits
Cons: lack of faith in leadership in plant city
As a shipping lead I would normal arrive to work about a half hour early to complete my time and attendance duties, my credit calls and respond to emails before the shift starts at 11:20am.

After that, I would conduct on occasion the morning meeting with the shipping/loading teams giving them updates on the previous nights work and any other pertinent – more... information necessary. At the conclusion of the meeting, I typically would finish my spread sheet on the previous days errors that we received and then browse the routes for the night from transportation. This was to see if there were any changes benefitting both the warehouse and the driver with each of our daily motions.

For the rest of the day I would periodically checking on my grocery selectors and my emails to see if there were any issues that needed my attention. If there were any issues that needed more than my attention I would pass them along to my direct supervisor.

Over the course of 7 years working for GFS, I learned how to build relationships, manage more people than I ever thought I could at one point in my career and how to serve my employees, and customers, with the best service possible.

When I was a leader in our Ocala facility, the management team there was flawless. We had a perfect unity and understanding on how we all wanted the warehouse to perform and how we wanted to satisfy our customers. We executed that understanding daily, monthly and yearly, year in and year out for 7 years.

When we were presented with the challenge of merging with our Plant City facility, the management there was not willing to be on the same understanding, level of performance, or level of willingness to change as my previous management team was. This led to a lack of cohesion despite numerous attempts at such.

The hardest part of working for GFS Plant City as a leader was the lack of faith in the leadership team the employees had when we arrived there and trying to mend that. It was very hard to hear my first month or two that the leadership there did not care about their employees and coming from a facility that dedicated themselves to excellence, I knew that was going to be a challenge.

The best part of my years at GFS was when we were working at the Ocala facility and received praise one afternoon from our GM. It was the nicest thing I have read in a long time coming from a GM. He seemed legitimately happy that we were doing an excellent job there. GFS never lacked on the praise or recognition of its team members, its employees, nor its customers. I thoroughly enjoyed working there and I could never speak bad about the company as a whole. One bad egg doesn't spoil the whole meal. – less
productive, good working atmosphere
Stocker (Current Employee), Erie, PAApril 5, 2014
Pros: great working atomosphere, great co-workers
Cons: its work
Working at Gordon Food Service, your working with your family. Everyone works well with each other. The management is very well taking care of its staff and the work place.
A job that keeps you on your Toes.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), MichiganMarch 29, 2014
Pros: normal retail
Cons: job on the line for customer complaints, and staff doesn't like it if you go on your 30
A typical day of work consists you stocking or being on cash. I have learned that the management at GFS doesn't care so much for the sales associates, and would put their job on the line for a customer complaint. The management however is nice at times and teaches you right from wrong. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers, while the – more... enjoyable part is meeting new people and business opportunities from all the companies that come in. – less

About Gordon Food Service

For more than 110 years, Gordon Food Service has been honoring our promises to our customers and our employees. As the largest – Read more

Gordon Food Service Photos