Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Tiring Day at work
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 June 2016
Very stressful but filled with AMAZING people. A very family friendly place just WAAAY to far away from me to commute everyday.

Also, Janitorial staff is great and all.. but one person in particular (A Manager) made me feel unwelcome and was very sexist towards Women.
Pros
AMAZING Staff.
Cons
Hours conflicted with School and WAY to far
Working like Iron-man situation......
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2016
Normally, all basic warehouse work like picking, wrapping, truck loading or offloading and customers handling is daily work. But need to help for another department to finishing the order and meet the time line of truck schedule. Working with extremely tense situation and limited time to completed all work and extra work in very squeeze area. Lot of excess non warehouse work from all department. Benefits is very good but Salary too low. Some co-workers is good. We have two 15 mins Tea break and 30 mins lunch. But only lunch break can make...:(
Pros
Annual Party, Family Party !!
Cons
Low Salary, Lot Excess Work from another Department
productive work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
Is a really good place to work, with a lot of benefits, they offer possibilities to get higher positions within the company and there are also opportunities to travel to other facilities in Canada
Large corporation. Good experience to start career.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 May 2016
Regular 9-5 job.
Good experience out of university.
Learned how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates efficiently.
learned about the procurement process, analyzing, buying, forecasting.
Co-worker very professional.
Job was not difficult, very structured and well organized.
Most enjoyable part was the learning experience as a starting point of my career. The company was very supportive and even contributed to educational fees related to work such as my PMAC.
Pros
Supported career advancement.
Cons
Company too large and segmented.
Fun work olace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Pay is good and so much to learn, management team are excellent, co-workers are lit, hardest part is waking up so early cause i lived so far.
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2016
Supervision of receiving/shipping department. Kronos training and reports. Inventory and receiving reports. Learned Kronos and the warehouse management program.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work in warehouse
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Productive and fun to work with the billiard table
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 February 2016
Prepare all necessary document for the route. Such as paper works, download the route from system.
i learn how to deal with costumer.working in other country keeps you learn how to respect different culture and the beauty of nature that needs to preserved,
management always gives there helping hands specially in those difficult times when it comes to work related they are also open in others opinion.
always fun to work with all of my team even on difficult times we find ways how to lighten up the work so that we didn't find it hard.
it is really hard to work specially this country have four season the difficult time was winter time where you need to gear up and its to hard for us cause we need to carry heavy loads but need to supply the demands of the customer and still need to cope up with this weather.
the most enjoyable job for me is to see all of my deliveries/customer happy that i meet there expectation and standard,and see them happy with my service.
Great Company
District Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2016
I see an average of 7 customers daily plus phone calls, texts and emails.
My day starts around 545am when I get up and check my reports.
The days go fast.
My sales manager is great. He is my bulldozer when there are obstacles internally or externally.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
7 days a week work
fun workplace with good people
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Would gladly return to work here if I was ever to relocate back to the city of Calgary. Great people great salary great benefits. overtime a plenty for those who were willing to work it. would recommend this job to anyone I know!!!
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
One of the best companies to work for. Period. But it'll ruin your body.
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2015
As a sales service driver, you start very early in the morning. Come into the office, get your paper work, keys, fill out forms etc then get the tractor and hook up to your trailer. Or you might get a straight truck(body job). Your trailer or truck is pre-loaded with your deliveries and its your responsibility to deliver the total load to your customers. Usually 8 to 14 stops. This varies.
I learned a massive amount in my time there about food service, product and logistics. I cut my teeth here as an AZ driver and driving in the GTA. The training here was thorough and excellent.
The Ontario upper brass are all seasoned vets and have tremendous amounts of experience. They come from all over and from different company acquisitions. The company runs like a well oiled machine and they have a proper pay structure with excellent benefits.
Most of the guys there I found to be really good folk and there is an awesome company culture there.
The delivery job is almost all hand work, case by case, up and down stairs sometimes. In all types of weather year round. Days are long and hard and exhausting and physically demanding. The work is known to damage the body, it did quite a number on my back.
I enjoyed working with competent management and well maintained equipment. I got to participate in food shows and the company puts on a spectacular Christmas party. The pay is very good and I had stable, dependable year round work.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, equipment, uniforms, stability, overtime
Cons
physically damaging to your body, too easy to be fired, merciless and ruthless brass, heavy lifting, outdoors, dirty, cold, back breaking
Stay away
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC22 October 2015
Over worked with no appreciation. Expectations way to high for any human being. Work to live not live to work. Some managers/supervisors are well lets just say not there for you in anyway.
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2015
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Pros
Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
Great Company, Great People
Delivery Driver, GTA (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON20 October 2015
Great people, changeling work, loving seeing the customers, never doing the same thing over and over something different everyday, great customers
Pros
Work Independently
Cons
No Cons
work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee) –  calgary ab17 September 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
Gordon Food Service
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, B.C2 September 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC1 September 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
It was a great place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island27 August 2015
It was a great place to work. The night shift was a little rough at first but eventually I got used to it. Unfortunately I had to leave because I am in school currently so I couldnt do night shift.
Pros
Great people, good work enviroment
Cons
night shift
Lack of advancement
Sales (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC26 August 2015
Based out of a regional office, it can be difficult to see many areas for advancement or improvement within the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.