Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Productive and fun to work with the billiard table
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 February 2016
Prepare all necessary document for the route. Such as paper works, download the route from system.
i learn how to deal with costumer.working in other country keeps you learn how to respect different culture and the beauty of nature that needs to preserved,
management always gives there helping hands specially in those difficult times when it comes to work related they are also open in others opinion.
always fun to work with all of my team even on difficult times we find ways how to lighten up the work so that we didn't find it hard.
it is really hard to work specially this country have four season the difficult time was winter time where you need to gear up and its to hard for us cause we need to carry heavy loads but need to supply the demands of the customer and still need to cope up with this weather.
the most enjoyable job for me is to see all of my deliveries/customer happy that i meet there expectation and standard,and see them happy with my service.
Great Company
District Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2016
I see an average of 7 customers daily plus phone calls, texts and emails.
My day starts around 545am when I get up and check my reports.
The days go fast.
My sales manager is great. He is my bulldozer when there are obstacles internally or externally.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
7 days a week work
fun workplace with good people
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Would gladly return to work here if I was ever to relocate back to the city of Calgary. Great people great salary great benefits. overtime a plenty for those who were willing to work it. would recommend this job to anyone I know!!!
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
One of the best companies to work for. Period. But it'll ruin your body.
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2015
As a sales service driver, you start very early in the morning. Come into the office, get your paper work, keys, fill out forms etc then get the tractor and hook up to your trailer. Or you might get a straight truck(body job). Your trailer or truck is pre-loaded with your deliveries and its your responsibility to deliver the total load to your customers. Usually 8 to 14 stops. This varies.
I learned a massive amount in my time there about food service, product and logistics. I cut my teeth here as an AZ driver and driving in the GTA. The training here was thorough and excellent.
The Ontario upper brass are all seasoned vets and have tremendous amounts of experience. They come from all over and from different company acquisitions. The company runs like a well oiled machine and they have a proper pay structure with excellent benefits.
Most of the guys there I found to be really good folk and there is an awesome company culture there.
The delivery job is almost all hand work, case by case, up and down stairs sometimes. In all types of weather year round. Days are long and hard and exhausting and physically demanding. The work is known to damage the body, it did quite a number on my back.
I enjoyed working with competent management and well maintained equipment. I got to participate in food shows and the company puts on a spectacular Christmas party. The pay is very good and I had stable, dependable year round work.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, equipment, uniforms, stability, overtime
Cons
physically damaging to your body, too easy to be fired, merciless and ruthless brass, heavy lifting, outdoors, dirty, cold, back breaking
Stay away
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC22 October 2015
Over worked with no appreciation. Expectations way to high for any human being. Work to live not live to work. Some managers/supervisors are well lets just say not there for you in anyway.
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2015
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Pros
Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
Great Company, Great People
Delivery Driver, GTA (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON20 October 2015
Great people, changeling work, loving seeing the customers, never doing the same thing over and over something different everyday, great customers
Pros
Work Independently
Cons
No Cons
work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee) –  calgary ab17 September 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
Gordon Food Service
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, B.C2 September 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC1 September 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
It was a great place
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island27 August 2015
It was a great place to work. The night shift was a little rough at first but eventually I got used to it. Unfortunately I had to leave because I am in school currently so I couldnt do night shift.
Pros
Great people, good work enviroment
Cons
night shift
Lack of advancement
Sales (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC26 August 2015
Based out of a regional office, it can be difficult to see many areas for advancement or improvement within the company.
Good pay and flexible, but shrouded in favoritism
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2015
Offers good salary, fairly flexible scheduling and decent benefits. The work is hard, not very rewarding, but the incentive program gives you a financial reward if you work hard. Which is awesome.

Job security is solid, if you hit your numbers you will have a tough time getting fired, and hitting the numbers is not difficult. Advancement opportunities is primarily how close you are with your immediate supervisors, like in many large corporations. However, there are many lateral moves into different departments which are readily offered. The place is large, so if you are struggling in one area of the business you can request to move into another department.
Pros
Benefits, salary and co-workers.
Cons
Favoritism, management
Great Pay, tough Job
Sales Service (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2015
The title says it all. I've been with the company over 2 years and seen many people come and go. The Job is physically demanding as well as mentally. I wished they're would be a better support for drivers as well as better communication within management. working with the other drivers is amazing they all share the same goals and ambitions which keeps driver moral up. there has been some progress which makes things hopefully for this company in the years to come.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
The job is tough
Fair Management
Night Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2015
* They listened to your concerns
* They put notice / changes a week early
* My co-workers are really nice
* hardest part of the job is working at night and lifting heavy stuff in a extremely cold environment
*Most enjoyable is you're not going to be bored while working
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 July 2015
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Pros
good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons
hard work
Not a happy place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2015
10 hours per day seven days a week

that there is more to life than working 70 plus hours per week

Never saw the management team

Only had phone contact with my co worker which I enjoyed

Working from home

See my customers weekly
A tough job that pays well
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton ON21 March 2015
Working as a forklift operator at GFS, work begins early in the morning, usually at 6 or 7 AM. Forklift operators need to move skids of product from the staging area to their specific places in the isles of the warehouse in order to be stored. The toughest part of the job is dealing with the freezer, which is kept below -18 degrees Celsius. The best part is the pay, which is upwards of $14 an hour.
Pros
High wage, strong sense of teamwork, good coworkers
Cons
Often have to work an extra hour or so, freezer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval