Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in Canada

Gordon Food Service
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 15, 2012
Overall a ok company to work for. Lacks certain values of employee/employer relationship. Same run and work everyday. Lots of heavy lifting.
Pros
consistent work
Cons
long hours.
Good workplace, awesome atmosphere
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCOctober 16, 2014
The management are good and my colleagues are so friendly and helpful.
Good fun workout style job
Driver (Current Employee) –  miltonNovember 6, 2013
This was a great job that is great for people that want to make money and get a workout at the same time.
Pros
fun workout style job
good company
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BCDecember 19, 2012
I enjoyed working for GFS. long day and hard work and good pay. Makes you feel like you earned your money. Was treated good by bosses and management.
good
order picker (Former Employee) –  edmontonJune 5, 2014
good experience had a great time great working hours with benefits in the field of material handler and warehouse person.
heavy lifting
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCAugust 21, 2013
repetitive lifting bending crouching on your feet all day about 300 employees order selectors are on a time based per order
Productive workplace and friendly environment.
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 23, 2014
Enjoyable workplace. Some days were long, but I had fun everyday.
Great place to work, great people, great benefits!
HR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2014
Gordon Food Service is the best company I've had the pleasure of working for. Starting as a temporary worker, I worked to obtain a permanent position, and have now been here 8 years, with time spent in a number of positions.

Throughout my 8 years, I have been given professional development opportunities, opportunities for advancement, and have received recognition for the work I do. The pay is competitive with market, there are great opportunities to earn bonuses and/or incentives, and there is a very comprehensive benefits package, plus company matching RRSP and Profit Sharing programs.

You get out of the company what you put in. Yes, you work hard for your money, but isn't this the case everywhere? It is called work for a reason! Yes, our driving position is very physically labour intensive, but this is made clear from the time of application to the time of interview, and again when the offer is made. Those that are not interested in performing physical labour are given ample opportunities to self-select out before they are hired. Those that don't want to do the work and start with the company anyhow are doing it to earn a quick pay cheque and likely not interested in working hard, regardless of the job.
Pros
benefits, pension, profit sharing, bonus structure
Great Team Environment
Camp Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2012
This has been a great place to work. A great team of people working towards a common goal.
hardworker honest and fun
selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 30, 2014
im always early, provide all the overtime I can, I work well with outhers
Pros
lunches
Cons
na
good place. little values
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2013
Terminated for an eye infection that prevented me from being able to work/drive.
Are you prone to money? It's a meatgrinder
supervisor (Current Employee) –  milton,onJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day: mindless rush from Milton, waiting for loads to be done up to 3 hours waiting a day for runs that take 14 hrs to finish = 17 hrs. Nobody cares if you exceed your hours.
You have to use company equipment, cart, scanner, logbook, circle check, report sheets to fill out prior departure and after arrival. Occasionally unload your own trailer.
Your shift going to start between 2 -8 am.
You'll have 5-20 calls a day, average 18 for good with long walks and hard to access entrances, deliver through live kitchens walking by 2 inches from flames as high as 2 feet; some quick drop offs as well.
Forget lunch break, eat whenever you can - while driving, delivering, but can't stop. It's the "war room" mentality.
How it works? Senior drivers 10+ years at GFS will have average 10 calls a day, new drivers will have average 18.
You'll have to scan every single cases as of scanning time 0-20 second/item plus the investigation of missing bar codes that cannot be scanned.
Your pay is good, but the value runs will be assigned to friends and buddies and seniors, and who are blending in. However the good pay does not measure up with the job we demand you to do.
Great thing for new drivers we have automatic tractors, that are slow to enhance delivery speed.
Manifest has a time limit for each call, and the time is underestimated in most cases, always. The addresses are mostly correct, some are not, so good luck finding it!
Over the years I did learn that whoever criticises the management, will be dismissed from work soon enough, although we say that we are open to listen, but only to save
  more... our butts, not yours.
The job we ask new hires to do is extremely exhausting that is why the turn over rate is nearly 70%, and on that level guys quit sooner than they would reach the level of seniority. The real seniority of the drivers is about 5-10%, the rest is new hire and temp agencies.
The problem, I mean the success is that we are expanding more than we can cover.
Business friendship works with some of us. You make friends with us, and some of us will give easier runs for friends than the regular ones. This friendship will lasts till we feel our jobs endangered by you.
Management will listen and then we explain why your new idea to make it better will not work - the idea did not come from us, and we want to be the top of everything. We can't even propose your new idea as our, because every one of us will gain enemies among supervisors if any of us comes up with a new idea. If you have personal issues with one of us- you'll have-granted; and you approach any of us, well, we are going to team up, and defend ourselves against anyone to keep our job intact and steady. For you, new hires, there is no job security: you either quit or get laid off quickly if can't adopt to our ways, no matter if you die on the field to make the calls. Everyone is expandable, till reaches a certain level or establishes friendship on business grounds. that is why many good former co-worker supervisors fed up and went to other companies.
Co workers, on your level are 50-50, some are good, and some aren't.
Customer comes first, always. Customer really is our first priority, not you. If customer complains, then we use courier to enforce order. If someone compliments you, then you will be removed to replace another guy who got complaints, because customer really is king and our service to prevail is the first priority at all price. Customers who are telling drivers otherwise, are wrong.
The hardest part of the job is to blend in, hold your mouth and don't complain about the management, us. Although we are going to make you feel precious from time to time, you are not that much valued, will learn it quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are going home after all this, living for the moment and not thinking of you'll have to come back here in the next morning/evening.
Please come and join, it really is a good place!
Cons
all