Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great work
Well versed in customer service (Former Employee), Cadillac, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great people
i learned how costumers feel while shopping and how to help them if needed
Enjoyable place to work with customers, managers, and employees.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Flint, MIJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day at work I usually did anything. Stocked the cooler, freezer, stocked groceries, ran the cash register, and assisted customers. When I was there for my 6 years of employment I learned that customers are king and that is the most important part of my job. Making the customer happy and providing them with excellent customer service so that they will keep on coming back. When I worked at Gordon Food Service, I am worked with some of the best employees an associate could ask for. Always willing to help if I needed it, always willing to stay late with me, and if they were done with their work, they would come help me and vice versa. If I had to pick the hardest part of the job I would say assisting customers that were angry. It always got dealt with in a professional manner but I am really good at helping customers with their issues. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and working with my fellow associates. They made the day better and helped me along.
Friendly employees and customers
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Highland, IndianaJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: friendly employees, great customers
Cons: low pay, not many hours
I absolutely loved the job, but I did not like that I was only getting maybe 10 hours at most per week and they don't offer raises after the probationary period. The plus side is that they offer quarterly bonuses and holiday bonuses. They do not hire full time though.
Productive and fun workplace
Selector (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 12, 2015
Gordon Food Service is a very good place to work for. They take care of their employees very well and it is always fun to go into work.
Productive but unfriendly enviroment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fairview Heights, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: breaks, healthcare, food discount
Cons: inconsistent scheduling, rude management
GFS was always busy while I was working, usually the evenings and weekends. Most of the customers were friendly, however, once our management switched working there became miserable. The management acted like they were in high school and would talk against other employees. The new store manager decided to implement rules that the other managers did not agree with, and therefore discouraged. Other employees became uncomfortable and nobody's concerns were listened to or addressed. The management conducted themselves in a way that conveyed they thought they were way above all the other associates. After having a consistent schedule many associates were switched and schedules became very limited and inconsistent.
Great place to work if you enjoy favoritism, immaturity and lack of leadership presence
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee), Valley View, OHJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: fuel and cell phone expenses paid
Cons: poor management, communication and harassment.
All in all, GFS is a very well run, family owned business. It's just a shame that there are so many management issues on a smaller, local level. My sales manager was terminated and I was reassigned to another sales manager who never answered his phone, never returned phone calls or emails and never contacted me until there was an issue that he deemed important. Accounts were given to other salesmen within my own sales territory and I was never informed of it until discovering it on my own. When I questioned management, they all pointed the finger at each other. If you "get in" with the sales manager as his drinking buddy, you will be assigned more lucrative accounts and territories. If not, you will endure criticism, harassment and verbal abuse. I would highly recommend GFS, as long as it's not in the Cleveland, Ohio market!
Fun place to work with a solid, and growing, company
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jackson, MIDecember 30, 2014
Gordon Food Service is an amazing company to work for. They have endless opportunities and are consistently growing in a constructive way. Gordon's gets pretty hectic during the summer months during college and high school graduations. We are also very busy during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. The management staff is excellent and take care of you when it comes to time off or picking up more shifts. They take working there seriously, but also keep things smooth and calm.
Everyone I worked with was very helpful and friendly.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2014
Pros: nice costumers, decent pay, and a friendly environment.
Cons: not being able to fit school in with work.
I enjoyed working at GFS. The costumers were generally friendly. I loved the people that I worked with. The managers were also very nice. I have gained major experience from working there. The downside is that I couldn't fit the work schedule with school and family responsibilities l. Other than that i liked and recommend working there.
Family-like work culture
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2014
GFS has some of the most friendly employees you'll ever meet. They treat their employees well, and as it's a food service company there's usually food and drinks around. Discount at the GFS Marketplace stores is a great perk, and compensation is fair (considering cost of living is cheap in Michigan).
solid company
Sales and Service Manager (Former Employee), Petoskey, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: consistent paycheck every week
Cons: weekends, and the feeling of never getting anything done.
I loved the company, I just got a little tired of the retail business and was looking for a fresh start. Most of my days was working with customers and training associates. The hardest part of my job was I felt like a babysitter most days trying to get the youngers kids to buy-in to what we were trying to do there. I really enjoyed all the customers and having those daily conversations with them.
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lima, OHNovember 19, 2014
This was the best employer I have ever had the privilege to work for. They treat their employees with the utmost respect and are very flexible with scheduling when need be.
Smaller family owned business, but growing.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Monroe, Mi Toledo,OhNovember 19, 2014
One of my favorite jobs. I truly enjoyed working there. The hours were great and management was very understanding.
Rewarding
Sales Associate (Current Employee), TennesseeNovember 17, 2014
Continuous multitasking between customers and daily routine. I was fortunate enough to get training in management.
People are Great
Marketday Employee (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 11, 2014
Working in a freezer is not an easy job but the people are great. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The job is physically demanding but not overwhelming. The hardest part of the job is the hours worked. I work midnight to 5 am.
A great place to work!!
Chain delivery driver (Current Employee), Douglessville, Ga.November 8, 2014
Pros: home time, pay, benefits, new trucks!
Cons: hard work
I work in the chain division so I work 4 nights a week. It takes a little bit to get used to but, I love it. I start my week Sunday night going in getting my paper work, hooking up my tractor to the trailer and heading out to the route. I have two, two day routes, Sunday-Tuesday morning, and Wednesday-Friday. I'm off Friday, Saturday, And Tuesday night. It's a lot of home time. The pay is top notch, I've brought home as much as $1400.00 in one week, but average is about $950.00 a week for me. We have company match 401k, insurance is the best you'll find. It's only $27.00 a week for me and my daughter. We also now have profit sharing. But with all that being said it is very physically demanding. This is the hardest job I've ever done in my life, I've lost 25lbs since I've been here for 6 months. But I love the company I didn't know companies like this still exist, from the management to warehouse it's all the best I've seen. I've seen 6 drivers be promoted to managers so they promote from within. I will retire from here.
Great First job
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Lansing, ILOctober 28, 2014
Pros: bonus checks.
Cons: pay was minimum wage.
I started working at Gordon food service when I was 16.It was a good experience. I learned that work is serious and I had to be tough if i wanted to work more hours i had to prove it with my work.The managers were very nice and always helped whenever you needed it.Culture was good it seemed like we had a close tight team at one point.Co-workers were great to work with.We had to work but we could also talk with each other on our downtime.Best part of the job was if the freight was damaged chances are we would eat it.
Rough most of the time there.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Trotwood, OHOctober 26, 2014
Pros: customers, good products
Cons: staff, management, pay
Most days at GFS include stocking product and making sure customers were happy. I learned that working as a team makes the day go by faster and to make sure you hold yourself accountable. The managers were split. Some would not mind helping while others you did not know where to find them. My co-workers were split as well. A lot of hard workers at times and some that would do nothing but complain most of the time. The hardest part of the job was picking up the slack from those who did nothing. The most enjoyable part was definitely the customers. Almost everyone that came in was friendly and made for an enjoyable time.
Busy place to work in.
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Palatine, ILOctober 24, 2014
Pros: health benefits
There is much to do and often feels like there is not enough time to do it in. A typical day involves a little bit of everything. Receiving product into the store, running a cash register, stocking product on the shelves. Managing a team of about 3-5 employees.
Day
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2014
Pros: fun at work
Cons: long days
I enjoy GFS. We are a family there and treat everybody like family.
enjoyed the work experience
warehouse selector (Former Employee), Ocala, FLOctober 11, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: short breaks.
I enjoyed working there. they treated really well and they worked with my school schedule even though it was difficult.

About Gordon Food Service

For more than 110 years, Gordon Food Service has been honoring our promises to our customers and our employees. As the largest – Read more

Gordon Food Service Photos