Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A very competative company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
eBusiness Specialist (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 23, 2013
A very competitive company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
productive and fun workplace
Accounts Payable/Customer Rebates (Former Employee), Milton, OntarioApril 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short term position
Was a nice workplace with kind and polite employees and managers who wer always willing to help you out.
unfair
Finance (Former Employee), CalgaryMarch 21, 2013
Pros: benefits good
Cons: will ask you to stay bec, they need your skills....
laying off all finance -accounting... then they posted jobs again
then we reaaply.. saying we dont have much experience for the same job were applying .. and have worked with them for 4 yrs>>..
they should reasses managers job.. (they are not working just chatting always in the phone..)
being loyal to gfs is not worth it.
unfair management and favoritism, – more... politics... too much! – less
great company
Delivery service Rep (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 15, 2013
Pros: great equipment great benifits
Cons: long hours
pick up trailer deliver food
Management great with very small exception
co workers great!
dealing with some of the loads and how they are built
some arogant chefs out there thinking you are beneath them
satisfaction of an empty trailer and the pay check!
good place. little values
Driver (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 12, 2013
Terminated for an eye infection that prevented me from being able to work/drive.
good company
Swamper (Former Employee), Westbank, BCDecember 19, 2012
I enjoyed working for GFS. long day and hard work and good pay. Makes you feel like you earned your money. Was treated good by bosses and management.
Used to be a great place to work
Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 29, 2012
Senior Management unqualified and disconnected from the market/industry. Laid-off employees last year and more are imminent (outsourcing to the US). They do not follow their Cornerstone Values, just words on the wall. Pride themselves on being family owned but don't act as such. Micro-manage employees. Expect increased results with decreased resources. – more... Push till you break mentality. The atmosphere is very negative and unhealthy to be around. Pay is not competitive to the market. Used to be a great place to work. If Management was replaced it could again be a great to place to work. – less
Poor management, they cant make up their minds and lots, lots of politics.
DSR (Former Employee), OttawaNovember 18, 2012
Cons: car allowance sucked, huge territory and they dragged me to milton whenever they felt like it.
I had to listen to stories that involved senior mgmt being stars all through training and when I got in the field found out it was an "old boys club" at the top and they were all essentially incompetent and discrimatory towards employees in a sneeky and under hande3d fashion. Those were the words of current top achievers in the field.
3 months contract
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Delta, BCOctober 23, 2012
That was my first job as an accountant, I was doing my practicum there and after that they hired me as a contract , handling A/P , data entry for about more than 100 invoices, bank rec.
Huge pressure to increase sales in a down market
District Sales Representative (Former Employee), British ColumbiaOctober 11, 2012
Pros: daily autonomy, customer relationships, travel
Cons: performance pressure, declining remuneration
Job culture had changed drastically in the past five years. Poor over-all employee moral as many employees have been laid-off as much of the internal transactions have been relocated to US head office. Remaining employees worry about loosing their jobs.
Terrible
Lumper (Former Employee), Milton, ONSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: ...
Cons: everything else
Couldn't stand the place, Half the building didn't get along with the other half, everybody was always doing something wrong in the managers eyes and you got worked 20 times harder than the people on the lift trucks who make almost 2x as much as you.
Gordon Food Service
Driver (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 15, 2012
Pros: consistent work
Cons: long hours.
Overall a ok company to work for. Lacks certain values of employee/employer relationship. Same run and work everyday. Lots of heavy lifting.
Great Team Environment
Camp Sales Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2012
This has been a great place to work. A great team of people working towards a common goal.
Everyone I worked with was very helpful and friendly.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2014
Pros: nice costumers, decent pay, and a friendly environment.
Cons: not being able to fit school in with work.
I enjoyed working at GFS. The costumers were generally friendly. I loved the people that I worked with. The managers were also very nice. I have gained major experience from working there. The downside is that I couldn't fit the work schedule with school and family responsibilities l. Other than that i liked and recommend working there.
Family-like work culture
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2014
GFS has some of the most friendly employees you'll ever meet. They treat their employees well, and as it's a food service company there's usually food and drinks around. Discount at the GFS Marketplace stores is a great perk, and compensation is fair (considering cost of living is cheap in Michigan).
solid company
Sales and Service Manager (Former Employee), Petoskey, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: consistent paycheck every week
Cons: weekends, and the feeling of never getting anything done.
I loved the company, I just got a little tired of the retail business and was looking for a fresh start. Most of my days was working with customers and training associates. The hardest part of my job was I felt like a babysitter most days trying to get the youngers kids to buy-in to what we were trying to do there. I really enjoyed all the customers – more... and having those daily conversations with them. – less
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lima, OHNovember 19, 2014
This was the best employer I have ever had the privilege to work for. They treat their employees with the utmost respect and are very flexible with scheduling when need be.
Smaller family owned business, but growing.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Monroe, Mi Toledo,OhNovember 19, 2014
One of my favorite jobs. I truly enjoyed working there. The hours were great and management was very understanding.
Rewarding
Sales Associate (Current Employee), TennesseeNovember 17, 2014
Continuous multitasking between customers and daily routine. I was fortunate enough to get training in management.
People are Great
Marketday Employee (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 11, 2014
Working in a freezer is not an easy job but the people are great. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The job is physically demanding but not overwhelming. The hardest part of the job is the hours worked. I work midnight to 5 am.

About Gordon Food Service

For more than 110 years, Gordon Food Service has been honoring our promises to our customers and our employees. As the largest – Read more

Gordon Food Service Photos