Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Unrealistic expectation
sales service rep/delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 January 2017
Management very unorganized, supervisors incompetent. This company will work you until your stupid if they can. The expectations are ridiculously unrealistic like 330 pieces in an hour and 45 mins when you have to walk a kilometer to and from the truck. they expect you to go go go go go go. they preach safety but expect stupid.
Pros
newer trucks great benefits
Cons
Everything else
its very productive ,neat and clean place. maintain cleanliness and provide other benefits
Packaging, cutting, handling, cleaning (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON10 January 2017
My experience is very good in this factory.All are very co operative during working and helping each other so no one can feel uncomfortable there. There is good management and have lot of productivity. Everyone follows given instructions and maintain the cleanliness and hygenic condition of the factory . There is lot of enjoy in lunch room . But there is litle bit more cold in factory than outside so never forget to wear warm clothes
Pros
free tea and give 15 minutes tea break
Very flexible
Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 December 2016
I was in a position to manage tasks very comfortably and report to my seniors without any trouble. We a as team worked very efficiently and showed great amount respect for the job and to our fellow peers.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
travel time
Terrible management and supervisors.
Slave (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2016
If you want to work for a company rife with nepotism,favoritism and
poor management then, this is the company for you. Bullying, gossiping and harassment is ignored by superiors.
Pros
Very little.
gfs
Sélecteur (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 November 2016
La journée commence par des échauffements en groupe, ensuite des directives pour la journée. Par la suite, c'est chacun pour soi, on monte les commandes en combinant vitesse et qualité.
Pros
Bons avantages sociaux, belle équipe de travail
Cons
Horaire difficile, surtemps obligatoire chaque jour ou presque, salaire un peu trop bas pour la difficulté du travail
Great Company to work for
Credit coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2016
I loved my job with GFS. I came with not only coworkers but friends for life.
They were a very family orientated company and would always make sure to put myself and my family before anything else.
Always squeezing more.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC19 September 2016
This company has been downsizing jobs for years since they were bought by an American company. Shipping jobs to Michigan, cutting incentives and pushing more work load onto smaller staffing. Solid and consistent work hours and good people were the only thing keeping me there.
Pros
Hours of work, people
Cons
Ownership and Management
Commercial Transport Driver
Commercial Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 September 2016
This company is good to work for. Great benefits and good salary. They lack compassion when their employees fall into personal hardship. I would recommend this company to others.
Amazing Company
Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2016
My experience with GFS Calgary has been nothing but greatness. The company really cares about its employees, and always aims for greatness. The management are really easy to talk to, and are very cooperative, and are excellent leaders to the each group they lead. Every year it was a job i would look forward to going to work (I work in the summer months). I am very thankful for the training i have received, and the work i have accomplished with GFS. Could not be happier.
Pros
Amazing staff, good pay
Productive company
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
i enjoyed working at Gordon Food Services, fast pace, co-workers were great to work with and the pay and benefits were great
Worst Unorganized Workplace
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2016
Worst company I ever worked for. Horrible experience, highly un-organized.
Told me gonna hire me on Starbucks after orientation they will keep in broaddline.
The salary peanuts
Long hours, No helpers, 80% their instructions about deliveries wrong.
Will send the newly trained guys to downtown where they know nothing where to go and how to deliver.
I can write an essay on this company why its a place where one shouldn't work but don't want to waste my time.
Pros
You can loose extra weight
Cons
good company but tough job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 June 2016
Due to personal shoulder got injury leaving this job, but insist this is a good company to work for.
Pros
good management
Cons
tough work
the people are good
night order selector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
• management is okay
• coworkers are fun people
• lots of lifting is required
• night shifts
• good pay but hard job
• pool table in lunch room
Pros
money
Cons
10 hour shifts
Tiring Day at work
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 June 2016
Very stressful but filled with AMAZING people. A very family friendly place just WAAAY to far away from me to commute everyday.

Also, Janitorial staff is great and all.. but one person in particular (A Manager) made me feel unwelcome and was very sexist towards Women.
Pros
AMAZING Staff.
Cons
Hours conflicted with School and WAY to far
Working like Iron-man situation......
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2016
Normally, all basic warehouse work like picking, wrapping, truck loading or offloading and customers handling is daily work. But need to help for another department to finishing the order and meet the time line of truck schedule. Working with extremely tense situation and limited time to completed all work and extra work in very squeeze area. Lot of excess non warehouse work from all department. Benefits is very good but Salary too low. Some co-workers is good. We have two 15 mins Tea break and 30 mins lunch. But only lunch break can make...:(
Pros
Annual Party, Family Party !!
Cons
Low Salary, Lot Excess Work from another Department
productive work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
Is a really good place to work, with a lot of benefits, they offer possibilities to get higher positions within the company and there are also opportunities to travel to other facilities in Canada
Large corporation. Good experience to start career.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 May 2016
Regular 9-5 job.
Good experience out of university.
Learned how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates efficiently.
learned about the procurement process, analyzing, buying, forecasting.
Co-worker very professional.
Job was not difficult, very structured and well organized.
Most enjoyable part was the learning experience as a starting point of my career. The company was very supportive and even contributed to educational fees related to work such as my PMAC.
Pros
Supported career advancement.
Cons
Company too large and segmented.
Fun work olace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Pay is good and so much to learn, management team are excellent, co-workers are lit, hardest part is waking up so early cause i lived so far.
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2016
Supervision of receiving/shipping department. Kronos training and reports. Inventory and receiving reports. Learned Kronos and the warehouse management program.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work in warehouse
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Gordon Food Service Reviews by Location