Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

very poor management team at Fresh Start Foods
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tomatoe/ Repack, Fresh Start Foods, Richmond13 May 2016
Unstable working conditions such as....... 1) Too many dancing/ loud music playing during production. 2) Too many force over time by team leader/ supervisor caused by lack of team work of other team members not caring about their jobs.
Pros
Paid MSP
Cons
Too many lazy people / lack of supervision.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, B.C2 September 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
Great place to work, great people, great benefits!
HR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2014
Gordon Food Service is the best company I've had the pleasure of working for. Starting as a temporary worker, I worked to obtain a permanent position, and have now been here 8 years, with time spent in a number of positions.

Throughout my 8 years, I have been given professional development opportunities, opportunities for advancement, and have received recognition for the work I do. The pay is competitive with market, there are great opportunities to earn bonuses and/or incentives, and there is a very comprehensive benefits package, plus company matching RRSP and Profit Sharing programs.

You get out of the company what you put in. Yes, you work hard for your money, but isn't this the case everywhere? It is called work for a reason! Yes, our driving position is very physically labour intensive, but this is made clear from the time of application to the time of interview, and again when the offer is made. Those that are not interested in performing physical labour are given ample opportunities to self-select out before they are hired. Those that don't want to do the work and start with the company anyhow are doing it to earn a quick pay cheque and likely not interested in working hard, regardless of the job.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Profit Sharing, Bonus structure
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2015
Gordon Food Service was a great company to work for. I loved the physically demanding, fast paced work environment. Great people and management. Basic day to day work routine that involved unloading product into stores and restaurants. Using quality organization and customer service skills was an asset. Some skills that I learned included using equipment; such as, hand dollies, pallet lifters, power pallet lifters and hand held computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was; working in an outside environment and getting a workout. Overall, Gordon Food Service was a great company to be apart of.
Pros
Physically Demanding, Outside Environment, Free Food.
Cons
Early Start, Long hours.
unfair
Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary21 March 2013
laying off all finance -accounting... then they posted jobs again
then we reaaply.. saying we dont have much experience for the same job were applying .. and have worked with them for 4 yrs>>..
they should reasses managers job.. (they are not working just chatting always in the phone..)
being loyal to gfs is not worth it.
unfair management and favoritism, politics... too much!
Pros
benefits good
Cons
will ask you to stay bec, they need your skills....
fun workplace with good people
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Would gladly return to work here if I was ever to relocate back to the city of Calgary. Great people great salary great benefits. overtime a plenty for those who were willing to work it. would recommend this job to anyone I know!!!
Fun place to work,lots of opportunities for growth.
Transportation Driver Trainer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 March 2014
Typical 4 days/10 hour shifts for the driver,lots of OT during peak periods. Training is provided for new Class 1 Drivers.Salary and benefits are great. Good equipment,newer trucks and trailers. Management is OK but needed some improvement. Lots of great and helpful people to work with. Hardest part of the job is physical as this job involves a lot of lifting,but its rewarded with a good salary.Most enjoyable part of the job is to get the job done and that a lot of GFS customers are appreciate the service levels that our drivers are providing every day.
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 July 2015
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Pros
good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons
hard work
Used to be a great place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2012
Senior Management unqualified and disconnected from the market/industry. Laid-off employees last year and more are imminent (outsourcing to the US). They do not follow their Cornerstone Values, just words on the wall. Pride themselves on being family owned but don't act as such. Micro-manage employees. Expect increased results with decreased resources. Push till you break mentality. The atmosphere is very negative and unhealthy to be around. Pay is not competitive to the market. Used to be a great place to work. If Management was replaced it could again be a great to place to work.
great company
Delivery service Rep (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 March 2013
pick up trailer deliver food
Management great with very small exception
co workers great!
dealing with some of the loads and how they are built
some arogant chefs out there thinking you are beneath them
satisfaction of an empty trailer and the pay check!
Pros
great equipment great benifits
Cons
Labour work, management a bit corrupt.
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Annacis, BC9 January 2014
Overall a decent experience to be had, although nothing that I would consider long term. Most management was not to par with workers. Pays well, though work is extreme.
Pros
High pay, good benefits.
Cons
Long Hours, Unbearable environment, Night shifts
Great Pay, tough Job
Sales Service (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2015
The title says it all. I've been with the company over 2 years and seen many people come and go. The Job is physically demanding as well as mentally. I wished they're would be a better support for drivers as well as better communication within management. working with the other drivers is amazing they all share the same goals and ambitions which keeps driver moral up. there has been some progress which makes things hopefully for this company in the years to come.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
The job is tough
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
majority of the staff are like family and great to work with the main draw back is management has VERY poor mentality
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  wpg29 July 2013
if you are not a brown noser, there is no point working here.
management is very poor and needs to be re-educated or removed.
they expect more with no compensation or recognition
Pros
3 above average customer service reps
Cons
management very ignorant/all talk and no listening...there way or no way
Great Company
District Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2016
I see an average of 7 customers daily plus phone calls, texts and emails.
My day starts around 545am when I get up and check my reports.
The days go fast.
My sales manager is great. He is my bulldozer when there are obstacles internally or externally.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
7 days a week work
Joke company
Selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 March 2015
Just check retention rate….you will not see the same employee for more than 2 weeks… If you have no ambition in life than this is the company for you………Picture yourself in the same isle of a grocery store for 10-?( you work till the work order is complete) cause those are the hours. Worked xmas eve,boxing day and new years day and they gave me an 8 hour lieu day in which you have to submit and have okayed by some fat blind moron but because you work 10 hour plus shifts you cannot use an 8 hour lieu day until you have 10 plus hours of lieu
Pros
nothing
Cons
all team leads and management are your high school kids that got picked on
Fun team friendly atmosphere
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milton, Ontario5 February 2015
Typical day consisted of running sales reports, updating system data and pricing, dealing with vendors, and providing pricing and product information for sales reps and specialists.

I learned how to become more self dependent

Loved working for my boss which brought out the best in me.

Hardest part of the job was trying to explain how our category varied from the other ones and could not necessarily be treated the same as the food based categories.

I enjoyed the challenge and fast pace environment.
Pros
I enjoyed the work culture that the company had
Cons
Difficult being a square peg that was being forced into a round hole
GFS - a family corporation
District Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta15 October 2013
GFS is a large American based company operating in Canada. There are many division, including sales, transportation, credit and marketing.

The company strives to be as profitable as possible, and there are financial incentives for each category in doing so.

This structure bodes well for those firmly implanted in the company, but leaves little wiggle room for those trying to break into the ranks.

Each department seems to have different levels of turnover, however majority of the people there have been there for years. This mean GFS will either be the company for you, or it wont. Not much in between.
Pros
great benefits, decent salary
Cons
giant corporation under a "family owned" veil
warehouse
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton28 August 2013
order selecting
scanpro and warehouse logistics
great management very understanding
coworkers are good fun to work with
picking redlobster batches
free roaming own scheduled
Pros
free lunches some time
Cons
back breaking long hours
A very competative company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
eBusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 April 2013
A very competitive company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.