Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in Canada

work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee) –  calgary abSeptember 17, 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
Not a happy place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
10 hours per day seven days a week

that there is more to life than working 70 plus hours per week

Never saw the management team

Only had phone contact with my co worker which I enjoyed

Working from home

See my customers weekly
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
majority of the staff are like family and great to work with the main draw back is management has VERY poor mentality
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  wpgJuly 29, 2013
if you are not a brown noser, there is no point working here.
management is very poor and needs to be re-educated or removed.
they expect more with no compensation or recognition
Pros
3 above average customer service reps
Cons
management very ignorant/all talk and no listening...there way or no way
Fair Management
Night Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 9, 2015
* They listened to your concerns
* They put notice / changes a week early
* My co-workers are really nice
* hardest part of the job is working at night and lifting heavy stuff in a extremely cold environment
*Most enjoyable is you're not going to be bored while working
graveyard shift
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  delta bcSeptember 15, 2014
very physical job. shift working schedule. offers overtime all the time
Pros
good pay and good benefits
Cons
management needs improvement
GFS - a family corporation
District Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DeltaOctober 15, 2013
GFS is a large American based company operating in Canada. There are many division, including sales, transportation, credit and marketing.

The company strives to be as profitable as possible, and there are financial incentives for each category in doing so.

This structure bodes well for those firmly implanted in the company, but leaves little wiggle room for those trying to break into the ranks.

Each department seems to have different levels of turnover, however majority of the people there have been there for years. This mean GFS will either be the company for you, or it wont. Not much in between.
Pros
great benefits, decent salary
Cons
giant corporation under a "family owned" veil
warehouse
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  MiltonAugust 28, 2013
order selecting
scanpro and warehouse logistics
great management very understanding
coworkers are good fun to work with
picking redlobster batches
free roaming own scheduled
Pros
free lunches some time
Cons
back breaking long hours
A very competative company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
eBusiness Specialist (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 23, 2013
A very competitive company culture, with low pay and not many advancement opportunities.
great pay great benefits
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 29, 2013
good pay and benefits but management seems to be absent when it comes to employee concwerns
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
you are just a number
Are you prone to money? It's a meatgrinder
supervisor (Current Employee) –  milton,onJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day: mindless rush from Milton, waiting for loads to be done up to 3 hours waiting a day for runs that take 14 hrs to finish = 17 hrs. Nobody cares if you exceed your hours.
You have to use company equipment, cart, scanner, logbook, circle check, report sheets to fill out prior departure and after arrival. Occasionally unload your own trailer.
Your shift going to start between 2 -8 am.
You'll have 5-20 calls a day, average 18 for good with long walks and hard to access entrances, deliver through live kitchens walking by 2 inches from flames as high as 2 feet; some quick drop offs as well.
Forget lunch break, eat whenever you can - while driving, delivering, but can't stop. It's the "war room" mentality.
How it works? Senior drivers 10+ years at GFS will have average 10 calls a day, new drivers will have average 18.
You'll have to scan every single cases as of scanning time 0-20 second/item plus the investigation of missing bar codes that cannot be scanned.
Your pay is good, but the value runs will be assigned to friends and buddies and seniors, and who are blending in. However the good pay does not measure up with the job we demand you to do.
Great thing for new drivers we have automatic tractors, that are slow to enhance delivery speed.
Manifest has a time limit for each call, and the time is underestimated in most cases, always. The addresses are mostly correct, some are not, so good luck finding it!
Over the years I did learn that whoever criticises the management, will be dismissed from work soon enough, although we say that we are open to listen, but only to save
  more... our butts, not yours.
The job we ask new hires to do is extremely exhausting that is why the turn over rate is nearly 70%, and on that level guys quit sooner than they would reach the level of seniority. The real seniority of the drivers is about 5-10%, the rest is new hire and temp agencies.
The problem, I mean the success is that we are expanding more than we can cover.
Business friendship works with some of us. You make friends with us, and some of us will give easier runs for friends than the regular ones. This friendship will lasts till we feel our jobs endangered by you.
Management will listen and then we explain why your new idea to make it better will not work - the idea did not come from us, and we want to be the top of everything. We can't even propose your new idea as our, because every one of us will gain enemies among supervisors if any of us comes up with a new idea. If you have personal issues with one of us- you'll have-granted; and you approach any of us, well, we are going to team up, and defend ourselves against anyone to keep our job intact and steady. For you, new hires, there is no job security: you either quit or get laid off quickly if can't adopt to our ways, no matter if you die on the field to make the calls. Everyone is expandable, till reaches a certain level or establishes friendship on business grounds. that is why many good former co-worker supervisors fed up and went to other companies.
Co workers, on your level are 50-50, some are good, and some aren't.
Customer comes first, always. Customer really is our first priority, not you. If customer complains, then we use courier to enforce order. If someone compliments you, then you will be removed to replace another guy who got complaints, because customer really is king and our service to prevail is the first priority at all price. Customers who are telling drivers otherwise, are wrong.
The hardest part of the job is to blend in, hold your mouth and don't complain about the management, us. Although we are going to make you feel precious from time to time, you are not that much valued, will learn it quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are going home after all this, living for the moment and not thinking of you'll have to come back here in the next morning/evening.
Please come and join, it really is a good place!
Cons
all
Huge pressure to increase sales in a down market
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaOctober 11, 2012
Job culture had changed drastically in the past five years. Poor over-all employee moral as many employees have been laid-off as much of the internal transactions have been relocated to US head office. Remaining employees worry about loosing their jobs.
Pros
daily autonomy, customer relationships, travel
Cons
performance pressure, declining remuneration
Slavery work!!!
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2014
Took the job only because they were hiring new drivers with class one license, just to get experience in driving a truck. Had to unload from 7 to 12 thousands of pounds every day most of the time by myself all just by using a wheeler, long and exhausting hours!They will try to squeeze and use you to the max with time sensitive delivery. Very little driving 90% labor 10% driving. After 6 months I got some experience and found just driving position, no labor for same money, so I would say for the labor you have to do the money is not so great. I would not recommend this company unless you just need some experience in driving or you enjoy VERY HEAVY LABOR.
Pros
hiring new drivers
Cons
heavy slavery job!
Good workplace, awesome atmosphere
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCOctober 16, 2014
The management are good and my colleagues are so friendly and helpful.
Lots of hours if you want them. very generous with overtime,
Tractor-trailer Delivery Driver Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK, CanadaMarch 9, 2014
GFS is an awesome company to work for if you don't mind physical work outside. Day would consist of, showing up for work, grab a truck and hook up to your trailer and deliver to various customers with a wheeler until its empty. Never had a day that felt like it was going by slow. Consistent hours and they hand out overtime to whoever wants to work. Simple work but it is physical and worth the pay. Some customers even feed you.
Pros
overtime, home daily, supply everything needed for work
Cons
outside in any weather, heavy lifting, some long days
Gordon Food Service
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 15, 2012
Overall a ok company to work for. Lacks certain values of employee/employer relationship. Same run and work everyday. Lots of heavy lifting.
Pros
consistent work
Cons
long hours.
good company
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BCDecember 19, 2012
I enjoyed working for GFS. long day and hard work and good pay. Makes you feel like you earned your money. Was treated good by bosses and management.
good
order picker (Former Employee) –  edmontonJune 5, 2014
good experience had a great time great working hours with benefits in the field of material handler and warehouse person.
Good fun workout style job
Driver (Current Employee) –  miltonNovember 6, 2013
This was a great job that is great for people that want to make money and get a workout at the same time.
Pros
fun workout style job
Cons
Poor management, they cant make up their minds and lots, lots of politics.
DSR (Former Employee) –  OttawaNovember 18, 2012
I had to listen to stories that involved senior mgmt being stars all through training and when I got in the field found out it was an "old boys club" at the top and they were all essentially incompetent and discrimatory towards employees in a sneeky and under hande3d fashion. Those were the words of current top achievers in the field.
Cons
car allowance sucked, huge territory and they dragged me to milton whenever they felt like it.