Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

good company but tough job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 June 2016
Due to personal shoulder got injury leaving this job, but insist this is a good company to work for.
Pros
good management
Cons
tough work
Great Company to work for
Credit coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2016
I loved my job with GFS. I came with not only coworkers but friends for life.
They were a very family orientated company and would always make sure to put myself and my family before anything else.
the people are good
night order selector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
• management is okay
• coworkers are fun people
• lots of lifting is required
• night shifts
• good pay but hard job
• pool table in lunch room
Pros
money
Cons
10 hour shifts
Money's not everything
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON26 August 2014
This place was insane long long hours lots of people quitting or getting fired I quit cause they kept all the experienced people in the freezer all the time and took all the terrible temps and put them in the easiest zones possible there's no way your moving up in this company to many ppl ahead of you. If u like slugging boxes all day for 8-13 hours this is a job for u and oh yes u have to hit 100% in 3months or they will fire u it's in ur agreement when u get hired supervisors are awesome lead hands are terrible they sit in the batch office all night and when u need them there never around check either the hall ways (cleaning lady) or outside on there cell phones good luck
Pros
Money benefits co workers
Cons
No life lead hands suck very very cold machines don't work and scanners don't work
Very good benefits and salary.
Monteur de commandes (Former Employee) –  Boucherville6 February 2015
I picked orders in the freezers with many other people it was a very tight space and very competitive as most of our salary was based on efficiency this made for a lot of friction between employees yelling matches where a daily occurrence.

Management had many flaws, they were very young and inexperienced with the position and favored their friends resulting in special treatment other employees didn't get, further fueling the friction between some employees.Incident reports where also not being forwarded to human resources so consequences were rarely seen causing many security risks for employees

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people that had a short fuse and working in the -50 freezer year round without adequate gloves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the really good benefits and the very nice salary.
Pros
very good salary and benefits
Cons
management was very underwhelming to much friction with employees no safety.
One of the best companies to work for. Period. But it'll ruin your body.
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2015
As a sales service driver, you start very early in the morning. Come into the office, get your paper work, keys, fill out forms etc then get the tractor and hook up to your trailer. Or you might get a straight truck(body job). Your trailer or truck is pre-loaded with your deliveries and its your responsibility to deliver the total load to your customers. Usually 8 to 14 stops. This varies.
I learned a massive amount in my time there about food service, product and logistics. I cut my teeth here as an AZ driver and driving in the GTA. The training here was thorough and excellent.
The Ontario upper brass are all seasoned vets and have tremendous amounts of experience. They come from all over and from different company acquisitions. The company runs like a well oiled machine and they have a proper pay structure with excellent benefits.
Most of the guys there I found to be really good folk and there is an awesome company culture there.
The delivery job is almost all hand work, case by case, up and down stairs sometimes. In all types of weather year round. Days are long and hard and exhausting and physically demanding. The work is known to damage the body, it did quite a number on my back.
I enjoyed working with competent management and well maintained equipment. I got to participate in food shows and the company puts on a spectacular Christmas party. The pay is very good and I had stable, dependable year round work.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, equipment, uniforms, stability, overtime
Cons
physically damaging to your body, too easy to be fired, merciless and ruthless brass, heavy lifting, outdoors, dirty, cold, back breaking
Great place to work, great people, great benefits!
HR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2014
Gordon Food Service is the best company I've had the pleasure of working for. Starting as a temporary worker, I worked to obtain a permanent position, and have now been here 8 years, with time spent in a number of positions.

Throughout my 8 years, I have been given professional development opportunities, opportunities for advancement, and have received recognition for the work I do. The pay is competitive with market, there are great opportunities to earn bonuses and/or incentives, and there is a very comprehensive benefits package, plus company matching RRSP and Profit Sharing programs.

You get out of the company what you put in. Yes, you work hard for your money, but isn't this the case everywhere? It is called work for a reason! Yes, our driving position is very physically labour intensive, but this is made clear from the time of application to the time of interview, and again when the offer is made. Those that are not interested in performing physical labour are given ample opportunities to self-select out before they are hired. Those that don't want to do the work and start with the company anyhow are doing it to earn a quick pay cheque and likely not interested in working hard, regardless of the job.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Profit Sharing, Bonus structure
Tiring Day at work
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 June 2016
Very stressful but filled with AMAZING people. A very family friendly place just WAAAY to far away from me to commute everyday.

Also, Janitorial staff is great and all.. but one person in particular (A Manager) made me feel unwelcome and was very sexist towards Women.
Pros
AMAZING Staff.
Cons
Hours conflicted with School and WAY to far
Fun work olace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Pay is good and so much to learn, management team are excellent, co-workers are lit, hardest part is waking up so early cause i lived so far.
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2015
Gordon Food Service was a great company to work for. I loved the physically demanding, fast paced work environment. Great people and management. Basic day to day work routine that involved unloading product into stores and restaurants. Using quality organization and customer service skills was an asset. Some skills that I learned included using equipment; such as, hand dollies, pallet lifters, power pallet lifters and hand held computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was; working in an outside environment and getting a workout. Overall, Gordon Food Service was a great company to be apart of.
Pros
Physically Demanding, Outside Environment, Free Food.
Cons
Early Start, Long hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2016
Supervision of receiving/shipping department. Kronos training and reports. Inventory and receiving reports. Learned Kronos and the warehouse management program.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work in warehouse
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2015
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Pros
Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
unfair
Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary21 March 2013
laying off all finance -accounting... then they posted jobs again
then we reaaply.. saying we dont have much experience for the same job were applying .. and have worked with them for 4 yrs>>..
they should reasses managers job.. (they are not working just chatting always in the phone..)
being loyal to gfs is not worth it.
unfair management and favoritism, politics... too much!
Pros
benefits good
Cons
will ask you to stay bec, they need your skills....
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, B.C2 September 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
Fun place to work,lots of opportunities for growth.
Transportation Driver Trainer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 March 2014
Typical 4 days/10 hour shifts for the driver,lots of OT during peak periods. Training is provided for new Class 1 Drivers.Salary and benefits are great. Good equipment,newer trucks and trailers. Management is OK but needed some improvement. Lots of great and helpful people to work with. Hardest part of the job is physical as this job involves a lot of lifting,but its rewarded with a good salary.Most enjoyable part of the job is to get the job done and that a lot of GFS customers are appreciate the service levels that our drivers are providing every day.
very poor management team at Fresh Start Foods
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tomatoe/ Repack, Fresh Start Foods, Richmond13 May 2016
Unstable working conditions such as....... 1) Too many dancing/ loud music playing during production. 2) Too many force over time by team leader/ supervisor caused by lack of team work of other team members not caring about their jobs.
Pros
Paid MSP
Cons
Too many lazy people / lack of supervision.
Used to be a great place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2012
Senior Management unqualified and disconnected from the market/industry. Laid-off employees last year and more are imminent (outsourcing to the US). They do not follow their Cornerstone Values, just words on the wall. Pride themselves on being family owned but don't act as such. Micro-manage employees. Expect increased results with decreased resources. Push till you break mentality. The atmosphere is very negative and unhealthy to be around. Pay is not competitive to the market. Used to be a great place to work. If Management was replaced it could again be a great to place to work.
great company
Delivery service Rep (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 March 2013
pick up trailer deliver food
Management great with very small exception
co workers great!
dealing with some of the loads and how they are built
some arogant chefs out there thinking you are beneath them
satisfaction of an empty trailer and the pay check!
Pros
great equipment great benifits
Cons
Labour work, management a bit corrupt.
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Annacis, BC9 January 2014
Overall a decent experience to be had, although nothing that I would consider long term. Most management was not to par with workers. Pays well, though work is extreme.
Pros
High pay, good benefits.
Cons
Long Hours, Unbearable environment, Night shifts
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 July 2015
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Pros
good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons
hard work

Gordon Food Service Reviews by Location