Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
very poor management team at Fresh Start Foods
Production Worker (Former Employee), Tomatoe/ Repack, Fresh Start Foods, RichmondMay 13, 2016
Pros: Paid MSP
Cons: Too many lazy people / lack of supervision.
Unstable working conditions such as....... 1) Too many dancing/ loud music playing during production. 2) Too many force over time by team leader/ supervisor caused by lack of team work of other team members not caring about their jobs.
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Pros: Great work environment
Cons: Work in warehouse
Supervision of receiving/shipping department. Kronos training and reports. Inventory and receiving reports. Learned Kronos and the warehouse management program.
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Annacis Island , Delta B.CMarch 13, 2016
Pros: benefits are good
Cons: Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons: Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Gordon Food Service
Material Handler (Current Employee), Delta, B.CSeptember 2, 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
Great Pay, tough Job
Sales Service (Current Employee), Milton, ONJuly 22, 2015
Pros: They pay well
Cons: The job is tough
The title says it all. I've been with the company over 2 years and seen many people come and go. The Job is physically demanding as well as mentally. I wished they're would be a better support for drivers as well as better communication within management. working with the other drivers is amazing they all share the same goals and ambitions which keeps driver moral up. there has been some progress which makes things hopefully for this company in the years to come.
Good pay and flexible, but shrouded in favoritism
Materials Handler (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Benefits, salary and co-workers.
Cons: Favoritism, management
Offers good salary, fairly flexible scheduling and decent benefits. The work is hard, not very rewarding, but the incentive program gives you a financial reward if you work hard. Which is awesome.

Job security is solid, if you hit your numbers you will have a tough time getting fired, and hitting the numbers is not difficult. Advancement opportunities is primarily how close you are with your immediate supervisors, like in many large corporations. However, there are many lateral moves into different departments which are readily offered. The place is large, so if you are struggling in one area of the business you can request to move into another department.
Stay away
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee), Delta, BCOctober 22, 2015
Over worked with no appreciation. Expectations way to high for any human being. Work to live not live to work. Some managers/supervisors are well lets just say not there for you in anyway.
Great Company, Great People
Delivery Driver, GTA (Current Employee), Milton, ONOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Work Independently
Cons: No Cons
Great people, changeling work, loving seeing the customers, never doing the same thing over and over something different everyday, great customers
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee), Milton, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons: hard work
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 6, 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee), Delta, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee), calgary abSeptember 17, 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
Fair Management
Night Material Handler (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 9, 2015
* They listened to your concerns
* They put notice / changes a week early
* My co-workers are really nice
* hardest part of the job is working at night and lifting heavy stuff in a extremely cold environment
*Most enjoyable is you're not going to be bored while working
Joke company
Selector (Former Employee), Milton, ONMarch 7, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: all team leads and management are your high school kids that got picked on
Just check retention rate….you will not see the same employee for more than 2 weeks… If you have no ambition in life than this is the company for you………Picture yourself in the same isle of a grocery store for 10-?( you work till the work order is complete) cause those are the hours. Worked xmas eve,boxing day and new years day and they gave me an 8 hour lieu day in which you have to submit and have okayed by some fat blind moron but because you work 10 hour plus shifts you cannot use an 8 hour lieu day until you have 10 plus hours of lieu
Not a happy place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
10 hours per day seven days a week

that there is more to life than working 70 plus hours per week

Never saw the management team

Only had phone contact with my co worker which I enjoyed

Working from home

See my customers weekly
Gordon Food Service
Driver Helper (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: physically demanding, outside environment, free food.
Cons: early start, long hours.
Gordon Food Service was a great company to work for. I loved the physically demanding, fast paced work environment. Great people and management. Basic day to day work routine that involved unloading product into stores and restaurants. Using quality organization and customer service skills was an asset. Some skills that I learned included using equipment; such as, hand dollies, pallet lifters, power pallet lifters and hand held computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was; working in an outside environment and getting a workout. Overall, Gordon Food Service was a great company to be apart of.
Very good benefits and salary.
Monteur de commandes (Former Employee), BouchervilleFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: very good salary and benefits
Cons: management was very underwhelming to much friction with employees no safety.
I picked orders in the freezers with many other people it was a very tight space and very competitive as most of our salary was based on efficiency this made for a lot of friction between employees yelling matches where a daily occurrence.

Management had many flaws, they were very young and inexperienced with the position and favored their friends resulting in special treatment other employees didn't get, further fueling the friction between some employees.Incident reports where also not being forwarded to human resources so consequences were rarely seen causing many security risks for employees

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people that had a short fuse and working in the -50 freezer year round without adequate gloves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the really good benefits and the very nice salary.
Slavery work!!!
Former driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2014
Pros: hiring new drivers
Cons: heavy slavery job!
Took the job only because they were hiring new drivers with class one license, just to get experience in driving a truck. Had to unload from 7 to 12 thousands of pounds every day most of the time by myself all just by using a wheeler, long and exhausting hours!They will try to squeeze and use you to the max with time sensitive delivery. Very little driving 90% labor 10% driving. After 6 months I got some experience and found just driving position, no labor for same money, so I would say for the labor you have to do the money is not so great. I would not recommend this company unless you just need some experience in driving or you enjoy VERY HEAVY LABOR.
Money's not everything
Order selector (Former Employee), Milton, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: money benefits co workers
Cons: no life lead hands suck very very cold machines don't work and scanners don't work
This place was insane long long hours lots of people quitting or getting fired I quit cause they kept all the experienced people in the freezer all the time and took all the terrible temps and put them in the easiest zones possible there's no way your moving up in this company to many ppl ahead of you. If u like slugging boxes all day for 8-13 hours this is a job for u and oh yes u have to hit 100% in 3months or they will fire u it's in ur agreement when u get hired supervisors are awesome lead hands are terrible they sit in the batch office all night and when u need them there never around check either the hall ways (cleaning lady) or outside on there cell phones good luck
Headquarters