Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Amazing Company
Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2016
My experience with GFS Calgary has been nothing but greatness. The company really cares about its employees, and always aims for greatness. The management are really easy to talk to, and are very cooperative, and are excellent leaders to the each group they lead. Every year it was a job i would look forward to going to work (I work in the summer months). I am very thankful for the training i have received, and the work i have accomplished with GFS. Could not be happier.
Pros
Amazing staff, good pay
Always squeezing more.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC19 September 2016
This company has been downsizing jobs for years since they were bought by an American company. Shipping jobs to Michigan, cutting incentives and pushing more work load onto smaller staffing. Solid and consistent work hours and good people were the only thing keeping me there.
Pros
Hours of work, people
Cons
Ownership and Management
Worst Unorganized Workplace
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2016
Worst company I ever worked for. Horrible experience, highly un-organized.
Told me gonna hire me on Starbucks after orientation they will keep in broaddline.
The salary peanuts
Long hours, No helpers, 80% their instructions about deliveries wrong.
Will send the newly trained guys to downtown where they know nothing where to go and how to deliver.
I can write an essay on this company why its a place where one shouldn't work but don't want to waste my time.
Pros
You can loose extra weight
Cons
Working like Iron-man situation......
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2016
Normally, all basic warehouse work like picking, wrapping, truck loading or offloading and customers handling is daily work. But need to help for another department to finishing the order and meet the time line of truck schedule. Working with extremely tense situation and limited time to completed all work and extra work in very squeeze area. Lot of excess non warehouse work from all department. Benefits is very good but Salary too low. Some co-workers is good. We have two 15 mins Tea break and 30 mins lunch. But only lunch break can make...:(
Pros
Annual Party, Family Party !!
Cons
Low Salary, Lot Excess Work from another Department
Tiring Day at work
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON17 June 2016
Very stressful but filled with AMAZING people. A very family friendly place just WAAAY to far away from me to commute everyday.

Also, Janitorial staff is great and all.. but one person in particular (A Manager) made me feel unwelcome and was very sexist towards Women.
Pros
AMAZING Staff.
Cons
Hours conflicted with School and WAY to far
Great Company to work for
Credit coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2016
I loved my job with GFS. I came with not only coworkers but friends for life.
They were a very family orientated company and would always make sure to put myself and my family before anything else.
Large corporation. Good experience to start career.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 May 2016
Regular 9-5 job.
Good experience out of university.
Learned how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates efficiently.
learned about the procurement process, analyzing, buying, forecasting.
Co-worker very professional.
Job was not difficult, very structured and well organized.
Most enjoyable part was the learning experience as a starting point of my career. The company was very supportive and even contributed to educational fees related to work such as my PMAC.
Pros
Supported career advancement.
Cons
Company too large and segmented.
Commercial Transport Driver
Commercial Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 September 2016
This company is good to work for. Great benefits and good salary. They lack compassion when their employees fall into personal hardship. I would recommend this company to others.
very poor management team at Fresh Start Foods
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Tomatoe/ Repack, Fresh Start Foods, Richmond13 May 2016
Unstable working conditions such as....... 1) Too many dancing/ loud music playing during production. 2) Too many force over time by team leader/ supervisor caused by lack of team work of other team members not caring about their jobs.
Pros
Paid MSP
Cons
Too many lazy people / lack of supervision.
Productive company
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
i enjoyed working at Gordon Food Services, fast pace, co-workers were great to work with and the pay and benefits were great
the people are good
night order selector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
• management is okay
• coworkers are fun people
• lots of lifting is required
• night shifts
• good pay but hard job
• pool table in lunch room
Pros
money
Cons
10 hour shifts
productive work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
Is a really good place to work, with a lot of benefits, they offer possibilities to get higher positions within the company and there are also opportunities to travel to other facilities in Canada
good company but tough job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 June 2016
Due to personal shoulder got injury leaving this job, but insist this is a good company to work for.
Pros
good management
Cons
tough work
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2016
Supervision of receiving/shipping department. Kronos training and reports. Inventory and receiving reports. Learned Kronos and the warehouse management program.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Work in warehouse
Productive and fun to work with the billiard table
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 February 2016
Prepare all necessary document for the route. Such as paper works, download the route from system.
i learn how to deal with costumer.working in other country keeps you learn how to respect different culture and the beauty of nature that needs to preserved,
management always gives there helping hands specially in those difficult times when it comes to work related they are also open in others opinion.
always fun to work with all of my team even on difficult times we find ways how to lighten up the work so that we didn't find it hard.
it is really hard to work specially this country have four season the difficult time was winter time where you need to gear up and its to hard for us cause we need to carry heavy loads but need to supply the demands of the customer and still need to cope up with this weather.
the most enjoyable job for me is to see all of my deliveries/customer happy that i meet there expectation and standard,and see them happy with my service.
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Great Company
District Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2016
I see an average of 7 customers daily plus phone calls, texts and emails.
My day starts around 545am when I get up and check my reports.
The days go fast.
My sales manager is great. He is my bulldozer when there are obstacles internally or externally.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
7 days a week work
Fun work olace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Pay is good and so much to learn, management team are excellent, co-workers are lit, hardest part is waking up so early cause i lived so far.
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2015
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Pros
Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
fun workplace with good people
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Would gladly return to work here if I was ever to relocate back to the city of Calgary. Great people great salary great benefits. overtime a plenty for those who were willing to work it. would recommend this job to anyone I know!!!