Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Worst Unorganized Workplace
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2016
Worst company I ever worked for. Horrible experience, highly un-organized.
Told me gonna hire me on Starbucks after orientation they will keep in broaddline.
The salary peanuts
Long hours, No helpers, 80% their instructions about deliveries wrong.
Will send the newly trained guys to downtown where they know nothing where to go and how to deliver.
I can write an essay on this company why its a place where one shouldn't work but don't want to waste my time.
Pros
You can loose extra weight
Cons
Working like Iron-man situation......
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2016
Normally, all basic warehouse work like picking, wrapping, truck loading or offloading and customers handling is daily work. But need to help for another department to finishing the order and meet the time line of truck schedule. Working with extremely tense situation and limited time to completed all work and extra work in very squeeze area. Lot of excess non warehouse work from all department. Benefits is very good but Salary too low. Some co-workers is good. We have two 15 mins Tea break and 30 mins lunch. But only lunch break can make...:(
Pros
Annual Party, Family Party !!
Cons
Low Salary, Lot Excess Work from another Department
Commercial Transport Driver
Commercial Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 September 2016
This company is good to work for. Great benefits and good salary. They lack compassion when their employees fall into personal hardship. I would recommend this company to others.
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Productive company
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
i enjoyed working at Gordon Food Services, fast pace, co-workers were great to work with and the pay and benefits were great
productive work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
Is a really good place to work, with a lot of benefits, they offer possibilities to get higher positions within the company and there are also opportunities to travel to other facilities in Canada
Amazing Company
Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2016
My experience with GFS Calgary has been nothing but greatness. The company really cares about its employees, and always aims for greatness. The management are really easy to talk to, and are very cooperative, and are excellent leaders to the each group they lead. Every year it was a job i would look forward to going to work (I work in the summer months). I am very thankful for the training i have received, and the work i have accomplished with GFS. Could not be happier.
Pros
Amazing staff, good pay
Cons
Good pay and flexible, but shrouded in favoritism
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2015
Offers good salary, fairly flexible scheduling and decent benefits. The work is hard, not very rewarding, but the incentive program gives you a financial reward if you work hard. Which is awesome.

Job security is solid, if you hit your numbers you will have a tough time getting fired, and hitting the numbers is not difficult. Advancement opportunities is primarily how close you are with your immediate supervisors, like in many large corporations. However, there are many lateral moves into different departments which are readily offered. The place is large, so if you are struggling in one area of the business you can request to move into another department.
Pros
Benefits, salary and co-workers.
Cons
Favoritism, management
Always squeezing more.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC19 September 2016
This company has been downsizing jobs for years since they were bought by an American company. Shipping jobs to Michigan, cutting incentives and pushing more work load onto smaller staffing. Solid and consistent work hours and good people were the only thing keeping me there.
Pros
Hours of work, people
Cons
Ownership and Management
Large corporation. Good experience to start career.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 May 2016
Regular 9-5 job.
Good experience out of university.
Learned how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates efficiently.
learned about the procurement process, analyzing, buying, forecasting.
Co-worker very professional.
Job was not difficult, very structured and well organized.
Most enjoyable part was the learning experience as a starting point of my career. The company was very supportive and even contributed to educational fees related to work such as my PMAC.
Pros
Supported career advancement.
Cons
Company too large and segmented.
Productive and fun to work with the billiard table
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 February 2016
Prepare all necessary document for the route. Such as paper works, download the route from system.
i learn how to deal with costumer.working in other country keeps you learn how to respect different culture and the beauty of nature that needs to preserved,
management always gives there helping hands specially in those difficult times when it comes to work related they are also open in others opinion.
always fun to work with all of my team even on difficult times we find ways how to lighten up the work so that we didn't find it hard.
it is really hard to work specially this country have four season the difficult time was winter time where you need to gear up and its to hard for us cause we need to carry heavy loads but need to supply the demands of the customer and still need to cope up with this weather.
the most enjoyable job for me is to see all of my deliveries/customer happy that i meet there expectation and standard,and see them happy with my service.
fun workplace with good people
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Would gladly return to work here if I was ever to relocate back to the city of Calgary. Great people great salary great benefits. overtime a plenty for those who were willing to work it. would recommend this job to anyone I know!!!
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 July 2015
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Pros
good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons
hard work
Great Company to work for
Credit coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2016
I loved my job with GFS. I came with not only coworkers but friends for life.
They were a very family orientated company and would always make sure to put myself and my family before anything else.
the people are good
night order selector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
• management is okay
• coworkers are fun people
• lots of lifting is required
• night shifts
• good pay but hard job
• pool table in lunch room
Pros
money
Cons
10 hour shifts
Gordon Food Service
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Delta, B.C2 September 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
Money's not everything
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON26 August 2014
This place was insane long long hours lots of people quitting or getting fired I quit cause they kept all the experienced people in the freezer all the time and took all the terrible temps and put them in the easiest zones possible there's no way your moving up in this company to many ppl ahead of you. If u like slugging boxes all day for 8-13 hours this is a job for u and oh yes u have to hit 100% in 3months or they will fire u it's in ur agreement when u get hired supervisors are awesome lead hands are terrible they sit in the batch office all night and when u need them there never around check either the hall ways (cleaning lady) or outside on there cell phones good luck
Pros
Money benefits co workers
Cons
No life lead hands suck very very cold machines don't work and scanners don't work
good company but tough job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 June 2016
Due to personal shoulder got injury leaving this job, but insist this is a good company to work for.
Pros
good management
Cons
tough work
Very good benefits and salary.
Monteur de commandes (Former Employee) –  Boucherville6 February 2015
I picked orders in the freezers with many other people it was a very tight space and very competitive as most of our salary was based on efficiency this made for a lot of friction between employees yelling matches where a daily occurrence.

Management had many flaws, they were very young and inexperienced with the position and favored their friends resulting in special treatment other employees didn't get, further fueling the friction between some employees.Incident reports where also not being forwarded to human resources so consequences were rarely seen causing many security risks for employees

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people that had a short fuse and working in the -50 freezer year round without adequate gloves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the really good benefits and the very nice salary.
Pros
very good salary and benefits
Cons
management was very underwhelming to much friction with employees no safety.
One of the best companies to work for. Period. But it'll ruin your body.
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 November 2015
As a sales service driver, you start very early in the morning. Come into the office, get your paper work, keys, fill out forms etc then get the tractor and hook up to your trailer. Or you might get a straight truck(body job). Your trailer or truck is pre-loaded with your deliveries and its your responsibility to deliver the total load to your customers. Usually 8 to 14 stops. This varies.
I learned a massive amount in my time there about food service, product and logistics. I cut my teeth here as an AZ driver and driving in the GTA. The training here was thorough and excellent.
The Ontario upper brass are all seasoned vets and have tremendous amounts of experience. They come from all over and from different company acquisitions. The company runs like a well oiled machine and they have a proper pay structure with excellent benefits.
Most of the guys there I found to be really good folk and there is an awesome company culture there.
The delivery job is almost all hand work, case by case, up and down stairs sometimes. In all types of weather year round. Days are long and hard and exhausting and physically demanding. The work is known to damage the body, it did quite a number on my back.
I enjoyed working with competent management and well maintained equipment. I got to participate in food shows and the company puts on a spectacular Christmas party. The pay is very good and I had stable, dependable year round work.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, equipment, uniforms, stability, overtime
Cons
physically damaging to your body, too easy to be fired, merciless and ruthless brass, heavy lifting, outdoors, dirty, cold, back breaking