Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Not a place for a career.
Receiver, loader picker, lift operator. (Former Employee) –  Annacis, Delta BC9 February 2017
This is a fast moving back breaking numbers game place. Everyone here is a robot, ran by numbers which arbitrarily change depending on if the the current requirements are being met. Very viscous system.

Favoritism is at it's best here. If one break their back which kissing you know what of Management then, you may get a raise or, better yet, a easier position.

This is a dead end job. If you want a career with any certainty, look elsewhere.

Ps.. if one mentioned unionizing, that person will certainly be hunted, harassed and drummed out for whichever reason the deceiving managers pull out of their a holes.
Pros
Quick money sacrificing the hours of your life.
Cons
Worship management and never complain.
Unrealistic expectation
sales service rep/delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 January 2017
Management very unorganized, supervisors incompetent. This company will work you until your stupid if they can. The expectations are ridiculously unrealistic like 330 pieces in an hour and 45 mins when you have to walk a kilometer to and from the truck. they expect you to go go go go go go. they preach safety but expect stupid.
Pros
newer trucks great benefits
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE
Good place to start a driving Career
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2017
I loved my job, the only downside was the management with in this company. They push you so hard and it does take a toll on your body in a driving position.
I liked most of the customers I had to deal with, every now and then you would come across one that just wanted to make your day a nightmare. This being said, most where willing to help you when they could or how they could, it was always great to get a cold drink on a hot day!
Managers rarely worked on stat days but most drivers were required to do so. If you ever stood up for yourself when told you are wrong and could prove you are right, you'd get spoken to. Within this company a supervisor IS NEVER WRONG.
Being a company that works on a seniority basis, this can be very frustrating when you start and have no paid holidays(for a year), and others have up to 10 weeks a year.
Pros
Lots of overtime paid at great rates
Cons
managment
Salary and Benefits made the job worthwhile
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2017
Salary and Benefits made the job worthwhile. I did not like my job. Management was a joke. The extra incentives were awesome, good money. Obviously since I was there for almost 6 years.
its very productive ,neat and clean place. maintain cleanliness and provide other benefits
Packaging, cutting, handling, cleaning (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON10 January 2017
My experience is very good in this factory.All are very co operative during working and helping each other so no one can feel uncomfortable there. There is good management and have lot of productivity. Everyone follows given instructions and maintain the cleanliness and hygenic condition of the factory . There is lot of enjoy in lunch room . But there is litle bit more cold in factory than outside so never forget to wear warm clothes
Pros
free tea and give 15 minutes tea break
Worst Unorganized Workplace
AZ Sales Service Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 July 2016
Worst company I ever worked for. Horrible experience, highly un-organized.
Told me gonna hire me on Starbucks after orientation they will keep in broaddline.
The salary peanuts
Long hours, No helpers, 80% their instructions about deliveries wrong.
Will send the newly trained guys to downtown where they know nothing where to go and how to deliver.
I can write an essay on this company why its a place where one shouldn't work but don't want to waste my time.
Pros
You can loose extra weight
Cons
You're just a number until your body breaks
Formula order selector (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON2 February 2017
Great company to work for as long as you're putting in the numbers. The minute you become hurt on the job is when management begins harassing you. They want to make you quit or find any grounds they can to fire you. They will also hire anyone including thugs off the Toronto streets. Favouritism is the motto so get your lips ready
Pros
Incentive
Cons
They don't care about their employees
Amazing Company
Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2016
My experience with GFS Calgary has been nothing but greatness. The company really cares about its employees, and always aims for greatness. The management are really easy to talk to, and are very cooperative, and are excellent leaders to the each group they lead. Every year it was a job i would look forward to going to work (I work in the summer months). I am very thankful for the training i have received, and the work i have accomplished with GFS. Could not be happier.
Pros
Amazing staff, good pay
Cons
Terrible management and supervisors.
Slave (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2016
If you want to work for a company rife with nepotism,favoritism and
poor management then, this is the company for you. Bullying, gossiping and harassment is ignored by superiors.
Pros
Very little.
extremely hard physical work with unreal expectations
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Annacis Island , Delta B.C13 March 2016
Company is a revolving door. Physical work is extremely hard and goals are unrealistic. Management will put you on their firing list if you get hurt. No union so company basically chooses who they like and get rid of the rest. They will promise employees things just to quiet any union talk but never deliver. Company is focused on one thing and that's get the job done as quickly as possible with least amount of hours used. Almost impossible to move up and physical work makes it difficult as you get older, not a place you can work at for a long time. Management will say they want to listen and fix issues but nothing EVER changes. Staff get let go for ridiculous reasons and no one can protect them ,they will just give you a small buyout to keep you quiet. Selection crew gets treated like scum while dayshift get all the perks. This company needs to vote YES for a union or nothing will change EVER !!
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Graveyard hours, always in a feezing environment, worked like slaves, not a long term job
Always squeezing more.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC19 September 2016
This company has been downsizing jobs for years since they were bought by an American company. Shipping jobs to Michigan, cutting incentives and pushing more work load onto smaller staffing. Solid and consistent work hours and good people were the only thing keeping me there.
Pros
Hours of work, people
Cons
Ownership and Management
Commercial Transport Driver
Commercial Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 September 2016
This company is good to work for. Great benefits and good salary. They lack compassion when their employees fall into personal hardship. I would recommend this company to others.
Productive and fun to work with the billiard table
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta25 February 2016
Prepare all necessary document for the route. Such as paper works, download the route from system.
i learn how to deal with costumer.working in other country keeps you learn how to respect different culture and the beauty of nature that needs to preserved,
management always gives there helping hands specially in those difficult times when it comes to work related they are also open in others opinion.
always fun to work with all of my team even on difficult times we find ways how to lighten up the work so that we didn't find it hard.
it is really hard to work specially this country have four season the difficult time was winter time where you need to gear up and its to hard for us cause we need to carry heavy loads but need to supply the demands of the customer and still need to cope up with this weather.
the most enjoyable job for me is to see all of my deliveries/customer happy that i meet there expectation and standard,and see them happy with my service.
Working like Iron-man situation......
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2016
Normally, all basic warehouse work like picking, wrapping, truck loading or offloading and customers handling is daily work. But need to help for another department to finishing the order and meet the time line of truck schedule. Working with extremely tense situation and limited time to completed all work and extra work in very squeeze area. Lot of excess non warehouse work from all department. Benefits is very good but Salary too low. Some co-workers is good. We have two 15 mins Tea break and 30 mins lunch. But only lunch break can make...:(
Pros
Annual Party, Family Party !!
Cons
Low Salary, Lot Excess Work from another Department
Great people and exciting job
District Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 February 2017
The company is fast paced and always looking for new innovative ideas for the food place. You have the ability to work in four different departments and there are opportunities always to move laterally.
Good pay and flexible, but shrouded in favoritism
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2015
Offers good salary, fairly flexible scheduling and decent benefits. The work is hard, not very rewarding, but the incentive program gives you a financial reward if you work hard. Which is awesome.

Job security is solid, if you hit your numbers you will have a tough time getting fired, and hitting the numbers is not difficult. Advancement opportunities is primarily how close you are with your immediate supervisors, like in many large corporations. However, there are many lateral moves into different departments which are readily offered. The place is large, so if you are struggling in one area of the business you can request to move into another department.
Pros
Benefits, salary and co-workers.
Cons
Favoritism, management
Large corporation. Good experience to start career.
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 May 2016
Regular 9-5 job.
Good experience out of university.
Learned how a multi-billion dollar corporation operates efficiently.
learned about the procurement process, analyzing, buying, forecasting.
Co-worker very professional.
Job was not difficult, very structured and well organized.
Most enjoyable part was the learning experience as a starting point of my career. The company was very supportive and even contributed to educational fees related to work such as my PMAC.
Pros
Supported career advancement.
Cons
Company too large and segmented.
Wonderful experience there
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON10 February 2017
Taught me all i know about working in Canada,trucking life; different work environments; now looking for alternatives
Good christmas parties and working environment working on latest equipment overall good experience
Very flexible
Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON22 December 2016
I was in a position to manage tasks very comfortably and report to my seniors without any trouble. We a as team worked very efficiently and showed great amount respect for the job and to our fellow peers.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
travel time
productive work place
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
Is a really good place to work, with a lot of benefits, they offer possibilities to get higher positions within the company and there are also opportunities to travel to other facilities in Canada

Gordon Food Service Reviews by Location