Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Inhuman & unfriendly Managers
Material Handler-Order Picker (Former Employee), Delta, BCJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: A lot of good workers
Cons: Poor management
I worked at the Delta location as an order picker & it was a military camp. The night manager was always playing God & some of the supervisors where very difficult to work with. The reason for their arrogant behaviour is because more than 80% of workers there are immigrants & they are treated inhumanely as per silent racism. Stay away from GFS in Delta, BC if you are an immigrant because they entice people with good pay & they tap all you've got to offer, treat you poorly & dispose you like a tissue.
kicking it
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 6, 2015
hard work that's the way I like keeps me very busy go go go all day management was good did not see them a lot.I was night shift I liked that.
Stay away
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee), Delta, BCOctober 22, 2015
Over worked with no appreciation. Expectations way to high for any human being. Work to live not live to work. Some managers/supervisors are well lets just say not there for you in anyway.
Horrible unscrupulous company
Service Representative and Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Cafeteria, good physical job
Cons: Long hours, unreasonable, questionable legal expectations
This organisation was by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of working for. As a driver, they expected me to drive and unload alone in the same amount of time that it would take two men to do the same job. Yellow lights are green lights, encouraged to not use freight elevators, and drive like a crazy person to make schedule. It's no wonder that more than half their driver fleet are TFW'S recruited from second world nations whom are not legally authorised to strike to protest abhorrent treatment and expectations. That phone will inevitably ring on your days off, calling you in with no bonus for being on-call. Now that the government has scrapped the TFW program pay might increase but you work like a slave for it. Good luck.
Great Company, Great People
Delivery Driver, GTA (Current Employee), Milton, ONOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Work Independently
Cons: No Cons
Great people, changeling work, loving seeing the customers, never doing the same thing over and over something different everyday, great customers
work
Delivery service rep (Current Employee), calgary abSeptember 17, 2015
a typical day at work Is fast paced and you learn more and more everyday, and the team is great to work with, and the supervisors listen to you and try and fix the problems you come across
Material Handler (Current Employee), Delta, B.CSeptember 2, 2015
My Job at GFS was very nice. From the people in it to the management. Everyday at work is fun. But the only thing that really wants me to quit is the performance you need to get everyday.
I am very new to the warehouse kind of jobs. So getting the performance is quite difficult to me. But all in all GFS is a nice company it offers great pay with great benefits.
lack of movement
Sales (Former Employee), Delta, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Very tough place to find opportunities unless you work in Ontario or Michigan.Local branch lacks energy and excitement. New leadership group in place that will hopefully restore much of the joy in the building.
Good pay and flexible, but shrouded in favoritism
Materials Handler (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Benefits, salary and co-workers.
Cons: Favoritism, management
Offers good salary, fairly flexible scheduling and decent benefits. The work is hard, not very rewarding, but the incentive program gives you a financial reward if you work hard. Which is awesome.

Job security is solid, if you hit your numbers you will have a tough time getting fired, and hitting the numbers is not difficult. Advancement opportunities is primarily how close you are with your immediate supervisors, like in many large corporations. However, there are many lateral moves into different departments which are readily offered. The place is large, so if you are struggling in one area of the business you can request to move into another department.
Great Pay, tough Job
Sales Service (Current Employee), Milton, ONJuly 22, 2015
Pros: They pay well
Cons: The job is tough
The title says it all. I've been with the company over 2 years and seen many people come and go. The Job is physically demanding as well as mentally. I wished they're would be a better support for drivers as well as better communication within management. working with the other drivers is amazing they all share the same goals and ambitions which keeps driver moral up. there has been some progress which makes things hopefully for this company in the years to come.
Fair Management
Night Material Handler (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 9, 2015
* They listened to your concerns
* They put notice / changes a week early
* My co-workers are really nice
* hardest part of the job is working at night and lifting heavy stuff in a extremely cold environment
*Most enjoyable is you're not going to be bored while working
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee), Milton, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons: hard work
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Not a happy place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
10 hours per day seven days a week

that there is more to life than working 70 plus hours per week

Never saw the management team

Only had phone contact with my co worker which I enjoyed

Working from home

See my customers weekly
Joke company
Selector (Former Employee), Milton, ONMarch 7, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: all team leads and management are your high school kids that got picked on
Just check retention rate….you will not see the same employee for more than 2 weeks… If you have no ambition in life than this is the company for you………Picture yourself in the same isle of a grocery store for 10-?( you work till the work order is complete) cause those are the hours. Worked xmas eve,boxing day and new years day and they gave me an 8 hour lieu day in which you have to submit and have okayed by some fat blind moron but because you work 10 hour plus shifts you cannot use an 8 hour lieu day until you have 10 plus hours of lieu
Very good benefits and salary.
Monteur de commandes (Former Employee), BouchervilleFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: very good salary and benefits
Cons: management was very underwhelming to much friction with employees no safety.
I picked orders in the freezers with many other people it was a very tight space and very competitive as most of our salary was based on efficiency this made for a lot of friction between employees yelling matches where a daily occurrence.

Management had many flaws, they were very young and inexperienced with the position and favored their friends resulting in special treatment other employees didn't get, further fueling the friction between some employees.Incident reports where also not being forwarded to human resources so consequences were rarely seen causing many security risks for employees

The hardest part of the job was working with so many people that had a short fuse and working in the -50 freezer year round without adequate gloves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the really good benefits and the very nice salary.
Driver Helper (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: physically demanding, outside environment, free food.
Cons: early start, long hours.
Gordon Food Service was a great company to work for. I loved the physically demanding, fast paced work environment. Great people and management. Basic day to day work routine that involved unloading product into stores and restaurants. Using quality organization and customer service skills was an asset. Some skills that I learned included using equipment; such as, hand dollies, pallet lifters, power pallet lifters and hand held computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was; working in an outside environment and getting a workout. Overall, Gordon Food Service was a great company to be apart of.
Are you prone to money? It's a meatgrinder
supervisor (Current Employee), milton,onJanuary 7, 2015
Cons: all
A typical day: mindless rush from Milton, waiting for loads to be done up to 3 hours waiting a day for runs that take 14 hrs to finish = 17 hrs. Nobody cares if you exceed your hours.
You have to use company equipment, cart, scanner, logbook, circle check, report sheets to fill out prior departure and after arrival. Occasionally unload your own trailer.
Your shift going to start between 2 -8 am.
You'll have 5-20 calls a day, average 18 for good with long walks and hard to access entrances, deliver through live kitchens walking by 2 inches from flames as high as 2 feet; some quick drop offs as well.
Forget lunch break, eat whenever you can - while driving, delivering, but can't stop. It's the "war room" mentality.
How it works? Senior drivers 10+ years at GFS will have average 10 calls a day, new drivers will have average 18.
You'll have to scan every single cases as of scanning time 0-20 second/item plus the investigation of missing bar codes that cannot be scanned.
Your pay is good, but the value runs will be assigned to friends and buddies and seniors, and who are blending in. However the good pay does not measure up with the job we demand you to do.
Great thing for new drivers we have automatic tractors, that are slow to enhance delivery speed.
Manifest has a time limit for each call, and the time is underestimated in most cases, always. The addresses are mostly correct, some are not, so good luck finding it!
Over the years I did learn that whoever criticises the management, will be dismissed from work soon enough, although we say that we are open to listen, but only to save – more... our butts, not yours.
The job we ask new hires to do is extremely exhausting that is why the turn over rate is nearly 70%, and on that level guys quit sooner than they would reach the level of seniority. The real seniority of the drivers is about 5-10%, the rest is new hire and temp agencies.
The problem, I mean the success is that we are expanding more than we can cover.
Business friendship works with some of us. You make friends with us, and some of us will give easier runs for friends than the regular ones. This friendship will lasts till we feel our jobs endangered by you.
Management will listen and then we explain why your new idea to make it better will not work - the idea did not come from us, and we want to be the top of everything. We can't even propose your new idea as our, because every one of us will gain enemies among supervisors if any of us comes up with a new idea. If you have personal issues with one of us- you'll have-granted; and you approach any of us, well, we are going to team up, and defend ourselves against anyone to keep our job intact and steady. For you, new hires, there is no job security: you either quit or get laid off quickly if can't adopt to our ways, no matter if you die on the field to make the calls. Everyone is expandable, till reaches a certain level or establishes friendship on business grounds. that is why many good former co-worker supervisors fed up and went to other companies.
Co workers, on your level are 50-50, some are good, and some aren't.
Customer comes first, always. Customer really is our first priority, not you. If customer complains, then we use courier to enforce order. If someone compliments you, then you will be removed to replace another guy who got complaints, because customer really is king and our service to prevail is the first priority at all price. Customers who are telling drivers otherwise, are wrong.
The hardest part of the job is to blend in, hold your mouth and don't complain about the management, us. Although we are going to make you feel precious from time to time, you are not that much valued, will learn it quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are going home after all this, living for the moment and not thinking of you'll have to come back here in the next morning/evening.
Please come and join, it really is a good place! – less
Great place to work, great people, great benefits!
HR (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2014
Pros: benefits, pension, profit sharing, bonus structure
Gordon Food Service is the best company I've had the pleasure of working for. Starting as a temporary worker, I worked to obtain a permanent position, and have now been here 8 years, with time spent in a number of positions.

Throughout my 8 years, I have been given professional development opportunities, opportunities for advancement, and have received recognition for the work I do. The pay is competitive with market, there are great opportunities to earn bonuses and/or incentives, and there is a very comprehensive benefits package, plus company matching RRSP and Profit Sharing programs.

You get out of the company what you put in. Yes, you work hard for your money, but isn't this the case everywhere? It is called work for a reason! Yes, our driving position is very physically labour intensive, but this is made clear from the time of application to the time of interview, and again when the offer is made. Those that are not interested in performing physical labour are given ample opportunities to self-select out before they are hired. Those that don't want to do the work and start with the company anyhow are doing it to earn a quick pay cheque and likely not interested in working hard, regardless of the job.
Good workplace, awesome atmosphere
Material Handler (Current Employee), Delta, BCOctober 16, 2014
The management are good and my colleagues are so friendly and helpful.
graveyard shift
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee), delta bcSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good pay and good benefits
Cons: management needs improvement
very physical job. shift working schedule. offers overtime all the time
Headquarters