If you are looking for meaningful employment to make a difference in your community then you have come to the right place!
Since 1935, Goodwill’s mission is to enable work opportunities and provide skills development for people facing barriers to employment, including persons with disabilities, youth, the chronically unemployed and newcomers to Canada. Our Community Stores resell a wide variety of donated goods for reuse, the revenues from which create jobs at Goodwill, provide essential job training, and give people the skills to secure future employment.
Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (“Goodwill”) is committed to involving volunteers in store operations and service delivery. Goodwill recognizes that its work would not be impossible without the time, skill, generosity, and commitment of volunteers.
Reporting to the Manager, Volunteer and Resource Development, the Volunteer Program Assistant is responsible for the coordination of the volunteer program within Goodwill. This includes staff recruitment and supervision, providing support to management, relationship building with community and corporate partners and day-to-day program coordination within the region.
1. Researches and recruits high level skilled volunteers in the York Simcoe region to increase volunteer program;
2. Facilitates the training of volunteers by use of supportive tools including the Goodwill manual;
3. Organizes community work with Store Managers and staff to ensure volunteers are welcomed and integrated into teams;
4. Strategizes with Manager, Volunteer and Resources Development to develop strong communication between staff and volunteers;
5. In conjunction with the Manager, Volunteer and Resources Development, trains volunteers to speak at corporate meetings, networking/community clubs to increase volunteer engagement opportunities and Goodwill partnerships;
6. Promotes an increased awareness of volunteer opportunities through information sessions, web presence, volunteer fairs, and other promotional avenues;
7. Works with Manager, Volunteer and Resource Development to help create new partnerships/links with employers;
8. Designs and develops meaningful volunteer opportunities in consultation with Goodwill staff in alignment with organizational mission and values;
9. Cultivates skilled volunteers to increase program profile and community engagement and provide appropriate placements;
10. Continuously liaises with Manager, Volunteer and Resource Development to ensure volunteer policies and procedures are followed;
11. Works with the Manager, Volunteer and Resources Development, to ensure Go Green Advisory Group is contributing to a Go Green Strategy;
12. Researches businesses and high schools to host donation drives;
13. Manages a database and tracking system of volunteer contact information, activities and hours to evaluate program effectiveness and ensure Ontario Trillium Foundation requirements are being met;
14. Compiles information from community outreach events on a monthly basis;
15. Contributes to operationalizing the provincial volunteer strategy;
16. In consultation with Volunteer Coordinator to keep Goodwill website current and interactive with Volunteer position descriptions, photos and volunteer testimonials (individual and corporate);
17. Assists with the planning and implementation of staff events and help coordinate a volunteer recognition and stewardship program;
18. Other duties as assigned.
1. Maintain timely electronic records of volunteer activities in compliance with Goodwill’s policies and procedures;
2. Ensure Volunteer Registration Forms / Data Processing Forms are completed with supporting documentation;
3. Communicate directly with the Volunteer Manager for regular check-ins via phone, email and in-person meetings;
4. Ensure volunteer requests are responded to within 24 hours;
5. Record minutes, prepare documents and keep communication materials updated and properly filed;
6. Ability to use discretion, judgment and tact in handling sensitive/confidential information/situations;
7. Ensure proper documentation is kept for stewardship / recognition plan;
8. Participates in internal and external meetings, as required;
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Manager, Volunteer and Resource Development;
2. Community Store Managers (Barrie Bayfield, Barrie Bryne Drive, Newmarket, Orillia);
3. Human Resources team;
4. Employment Services team;
5. Developmental Services team;
6. Local school boards, principals and guidance counselors;
7. Various other internal and external stakeholders.
1. University degree, vocational diploma or certificate ideally in human resources, business, marketing, fundraising or related discipline
2. Minimum of 3 years experience in staff/volunteer supervision, recruitment, engagement, development and training or a combination of experience and education
3. Experience with program development and implementation
4. Experience in adult education, peer counseling and group facilitation
5. Energetic, dynamic people person
6. Experience planning and implementing events, delivering presentations, training and facilitating small or large groups
7. Excellent verbal, written, listening, and communication skills
8. Proven leadership ability
9. Excellent customer service skills and demonstrated ability to work and build relationships with a
variety of internal and external stakeholders from diverse backgrounds and various physical/cognitive abilities
10. Demonstrated ability to think strategically, take initiative, work independently and on a team
11. Proven time management, problem solving and multi-tasking skills
12. Desire to learn about Goodwill practices, including skills development and to share the Goodwill mission with the community
13. Must be a resident of York-Simcoe region
14. Must be willing to travel to various Goodwill locations
15. Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
16. Must produce a satisfactory criminal background check
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter quoting: Volunteer Program Assistant - File # GW 034-14 by June 14, 2014. Successful applicants maybe asked to submit a Goodwill Medical Report and Criminal Record Check.
Goodwill is committed to equity in employment. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce. We strongly encourage applications from women and men, people from racialized communities, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and aboriginal persons. For additional information about Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario please visit out website at www.goodwill.on.ca
We thank all applicants in advance for your interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.