Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

not really a review
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON4 October 2017
not really a review, it was fine, i was there for volunteering, everyone was fine, it was quick an easy to do, fun even. heck id do it again in my spare time if i could.
it is a positive work environment and extremely productive
cashier, helped customers (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2017
goodwill is a really good starter job for teens or for anyone looking for a job in retail. goodwill is productive and a great environment because the people i worked with, they were positive and productive.
easy to get along with the other employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON22 September 2017
If you love meeting new people, its the job for you! I love seeing all the new faces and everyone was always so happy. its a positive environment and the time flew by so quickly
Pros
work parties
Cons
not enough hours as i started with
fun workplace
Part Time Resell Agent (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 September 2017
it was a fun easygoing environment with supportive coworkers. New challenges everyday and loved meeting the people who came in. Would work there again
No thanks
Customer service/Production (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 September 2017
Terrible place to work. Dirty, dusty place to work is you have any allergies. management is terrible. They only care about money. Throws away a lot of stuff unnecessarily.
Pros
Cons
terrible dirty environment
Great company
Cashier, Donation door attendant, Processer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
I really enjoyed working for the company it has a great mission I would work there again The team members are great and the opportunities they give others is wonderful
Too many boses
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 September 2017
Leadership was a issue when I worked there.This company really doesn't care or treat their employees very well or fairly.Safety and conduct conditions,were not usally adhered to.
Fast paced community centered enviroment
Re-sale agent (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON30 August 2017
My time at Good Will, while shorter than I'd have liked due to it's closure, was excellent. Management was efficient, friendly, and always promoting a friendly and active work environment. The work was challenging and rewarding, and offered excellent chances to interact with the community that we were there to serve.
Pros
Fast paced, friendly, community involvement.
customer are great, in store mangers are great. People working in head office only care about making money
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 August 2017
The customers and in store mangers are amazing... although some of the workers have very poor customer service skills. Since I've been there I've heard a lot from staff about how head office is changing so much and not asking how the employees feel about it... when the employees are the ones who ACTUALLY WORK IN THE STORE and see all the problems. For example apparently we do not accept chandlers but a women told me she donated a brand new one and she gave me the other piece that went with it.. when i brought the other piece into the back to ask about it they said they had THROWN IN OUT. A brand new chandler in the garbage... my question, why even take it? Also i took some extra hours to sort through wares and what they throw out is insane some people could really use that stuff... cups, plates etc. I think all the "junky" stuff should be put out at the end of each month on discount maybe have a 25 cent table for the stuff the store was just going to through out anyways. Cashier are ONLY rated on how many donations we get.. how it works is we ask the customer as they are checking out if they would like to donate to our job training program (99% of the employees do not even know what this program is, therefore they can not properly explain what good the program does for our community) most people shopping at goodwill but not have the funds to be shopping elsewhere let alone make a donation cashier have been called names be the customers for asking such as "greedy"and "panhandlers". At the end of the day if our donations are not high we get in trouble....we even got excluded from  more... a free day off contest because our donation were not high enough even though our sales per hour are amazing.. donations are something we can not control. Mental health is another big thing that needs to be addressed at the location im at, i feel both management and staff are not fully trained on how to deal with the type of clientele the store gets. I think head office should listen to the staff more and let us put in suggestions, because trust me... we have good ones.  less
Pros
customers are amazing
Cons
under paid, unpaid lunches, no benefits.
Overall great place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
Excellent place to work.

Great staff. Great Leadership.

Feels like you are doing something productive as it is a non profit, with money going to help people with disabilities improve their lives.
Fast paced work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 August 2017
Operating cash. Setting up displays. Hanging clothes and bedding. Pricing and sorting donations. Assisting customers with sales. Fast paced work environment.
Pros
Fast paced work environment
Cons
Long shifts
a great place to work
Warehouse Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 August 2017
From the first day on the job i was treated as part of the team not the new guy and that was great

the lunches and breaks were well spaced and unless we were short handed you were never without a team member close by
Pros and Cons from my experience
Cashier/Production (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 July 2017
Based on my 2 1/2 year employment:

Pros- Great Co-workers, Job (Cashier/Donor Greet) not too difficult, good experience building.

Cons- Poor Management on multiple levels, Greedy Corporate Environment for being donation driven, all about profits/donor quotas (yes.... a quota for how many donations come into the store per day), minimum wage with very little yearly increase, low fluxuating hours.

Had some good and many bad experiences with my time at Goodwill.
Pros
Noted in summary
Cons
Noted in summary
geet
Cashier and Customer service representative - PT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2017
this is my best job
i learned how to do many things
managemetn was friendly
work place culture was good
hardest part of job was leaving
most enjoyable part was satisfaction
Amazing place to volunteer with great (and hard) workers
GOODWILL VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 June 2017
I was a volunteer here for a few months, and it was fantastic! It's a very open and friendly area. The supervisors and other workers are great and always open to help you if you're confused. This volunteer job helped me become more comfortable talking to people.
Enjoyed working for the company
Retail (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Ontario Canada15 June 2017
I enjoyed working with the public,Goodwill is a wonderful place for employment. I would definetly refer a friend to seek employment with the company.The atmosphere was a fantastic !
Pros
Enjoyed working with the public, wonderful atmosphere
Cons
No complaints
very energetic work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Duck Lake, SK14 June 2017
enjoyed working in the hotel very energetic as well as entertaining. loved working with my fellow coworkers. and interacting with customers showing my customer service skills.
great place
Customer Service Clerk/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON29 May 2017
Have a smile on for every customer you see, interact with them, serving coffee, donuts, bagels and sandwiches. Learned to work as a group to get things done, learned to deal with unsatisfied people and how to fix their order immediately. Worked with a greta group of people, always nice and ready to help others. The hardest part of the job is to stand there while someone is complaining and yelling at you at how bad you did something while it was a team effort and only one person gets the blame for it. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing all the regulars that come in. Knowing your name and having a smile at all times, makes you have a better day. Another enjoyable part is being there, the people I worked with were great and made coming to work fun and worth it.
All inclusive environment, collabrative environment
Senior District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 May 2017
Constantly finding ways to complete process improvement. Great stepping stone in your career. They teach you a lot and they let you develop your initiatives
Cons
Long Hours, Unionized environment that was not healthy
Not very enjoyable
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON23 May 2017
I did not find this job that enjoyable because i had not really been working I was volunteering and not getting paid but after i was done i felt a good sensation because i had just helped others out.
Pros
Cons
No pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.