Goodwill Industries

Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work!!!!!!!
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON29 January 2017
First of all this is my opinion from a former worker In a work place you would hope management leads by example but not here.Here they lead by intimidation with a smile on their faces.There is such a huge disconnect between management and employees.The pay is horrible with no chance of a raise. Management protects there own sort of like a club atmosphere.They dont touch product for fear of getting hands dirty.If you are looking for high morale then this is definitely not the place for you.

Bottom line is dont apply here its short term thats all low pay ,intimidation, basically a downer.
Pros
regular employees are good people
Cons
low pay, no morale, poorly run
Too bad they closed down
Employment Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 February 2017
Great company to work for. Culture is great in the coporate/office and people are generally very nice. Can't say the same for the employment center though - nice people but a lot of politics.
Pros
nice people, good culture, good pay, work life balance
Cons
they closed down, lots of politics and secrets, demographic was generally older so work being done wasn't very efficient
about my work place.
cashier cleaner; (Former Employee) –  dundas and islington30 January 2017
good environment ;happy  ;learned about ppl and customers.good management.different cultures.the most part interacting with ppl.'i enjoy working the hardest part of job was dealing with unruly customers;which made my job a little more desirable because it helped me cope with other parts of the business;;;
Pros
i enjoyed working;;;
Cons
bussiness closed
Productive and fun no stress alot of team work
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Essex, ON31 January 2017
Love working for them no stress and always worked as a team. They always took care of any concerns we h ad . Learn alot about help others in need. They always looked out for you and made sure you work were ok during storms and your work continue were good continue . Health and safe were a top priority
Pros
Good work hrs
Cons
Not enough hrs
Where dreams go to die.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 October 2016
I devoted several years of hard work, tons of overtime and travel and a great amount of innovation and implementation. I was not paid on time, 9 times! Once before Christmas. Myself and co-workers were screamed at, sneered at and treated as scum. This is in multiple locations in Southern Ontario. They abuse their workers, including their challenged workers. They put out moldy, disgusting materials and slap an outrageous price tag on it. They rob the community of not only their money and donations, but their pride and dignity as well. Worst place on Earth.
Pros
I don't work there anymore.
Cons
People work their. Even worse, people donate and shop there.
It was great place to work for
Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2017
It was a fun and great place to work for I really miss working there the people I got to work for were really nice and loved helping albertans with disabilities find a job and I felt like I was making a difference
Pros
Helping people with disabilities find a job
Cons
Lots of standing
It was a great place to work until it closed it's doors on us on Jan 16,2016.
Full Time Resell Agent (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 October 2016
I started my day cleaning up donations and I learned that you can recycle almost anything. My boss was a good guy and I got along with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the heavy lifting of furniture and the thing I enjoyed most was interacting with the donors and customers.
Pros
Employee discounts on priced items.
Working with different people of different cultures
Customer Service / Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bloor Street and Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON20 September 2016
Good learning experience, gaining new insights, meeting new people
Salary was satisfactory
Management was experienced and competent
My co-workers were great people, hard workers
The hardest part of the job was shift-work
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of doing a good job and doing it right the first time
Pros
Good working condiltions
Cons
layed off (1 year contract)
Poor workplace
Full-time Lead (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON10 January 2017
Goodwill is a very poor place to work for. No flexibility. Can be unsafe. Management is extremely poor and play favourites. It is not a relaxed environment and for being a non-profit organisation, all they care about is making money and not helping those in need as much as they say they do.
Negative enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara region9 September 2016
This is a terrible place to work. Management is unorganized and they don't care if you have a life outside the job. They don't train you properly and then they write you up for every little mistake you make. Very negative work environment. Head office management is very rude, unorganized and generally have the attitude that the employees are expendable.
Pros
People you work with excluding management
Cons
Negative work enviroment
conversations during break time
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 December 2016
Busy always with customers and I have learned to be patient when attending customer. I had nice co-workers always helping each others when some one of us have difficulties handling customers .
Pros
short breaks
Cons
distance from work
Enjoyable Work Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 August 2016
The average day starts by cleaning the store until opening. For the next 8 hours I greeted donors and thanked them for their donations. Each donation was sorted for salable items and any items that were not salable were recycled in their appropriate bin. The end of the day consisted of me cleaning my work station thoroughly. In addition, I was responsible for maintaining health and safety requirements on site.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary. Hard working employees.
Cons
Can be taxing at times if donation door gets busy
I enjoyed working there.
Kitchen staffing (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ont27 July 2016
The people that I worked with were very helpful and friendly. The work environment was very clean and accessible. Packaging some of the products can be a bit challenging, making sure everything was done correctly but I was able to do the task with either help and problem solve through it. I enjoyed meeting new people and staff. It was such a pleasant and friendly environment.
Friendly environment, different roles everyday
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2016
Typical day at work means opening and closing store front, working through rushes, as well as working on cash or floor.
Seeing regular customers come in I learned a lot about customer respect. We were encouraged to be chatty and friendly always.
Management was great, very reliable, flexible with time off and friendly with staff.
Co-workers were welcoming and friendly. They were always there if you were unsure of something.
The part I enjoyed the most was helping the customers, weather its assisting with the show case or answering questions on the floor. They were kind people and the more I saw them, the more we had to chat about.
Pros
see a variety of second hand treasures each day
Cons
did not get staff discount
review
Assistant MAnager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 February 2017
it was a job. the pay was alright. company didnt have room for advancement. since it somehow went out og business all the merchendise was free.
Pros
decent money
Cons
company is bankrupt
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
great place to work
great employees
fun place to be

just love charity/helping people to do well in such environment.
because giving to life is the most important key in working at goodwill
Productive place to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON3 October 2016
Starting my shift here I would assign employees their stations for the day, help them if needed, did hourly checks on productivity. Computer use, count money, balance cash registers and bank deposits daily.
fun and got the chance to meet new people
Labourer (coop) (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2016
a typical day at work would have to be when I set out at a station and productivity was not well organized but what I learned about it was how to do packaging and un-packaging and assortment and the team management was amazing to work with they set me out to do something as simple as it can be and instructed me with every single detail, and my coworkers were amazing to work with non were serious at all they had smiles made me laugh on occasion, and for the hard part of work was getting up to early and constant bending down, and the most enjoyable part of the job was having to learn new things every single day and meeting new people
like the people
Donations Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 January 2017
I started with sorting merchandise and was promoted to hanging and ticketing

the hrs were mon to fri 8-430 cant go wrong

and it was close to home in st thomas
Busy, labour intensive
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 December 2016
Constantly changing schedules make for difficult home-work balance for families. Employees are, for the most part, happy to be employed.