Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

very productive place of employment
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  main warehouse on 51st ave and vanburen3 April 2017
went to work every day and performed assigned duties in a timely manner, learned how to stack gaylords 6 high fair managment dirty work enviroment, hardest thing was rotating broken gaylords. enjoyable was the overtime
Pros
i got overtime whenever i wanted it
Cons
poor benifits some managers are trecherous
Such a nice workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
Working at Goodwill is great. We have a two hours of break one hour for the first break and thirty minutes for the second one and fifteen for the last one.My co-workers are so nice. for me, it doesn't have a hardest part of the job
Hard worker for the company, dedicated and always willing to work extra hours, disappointed company went bankrupt
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket and Aurora19 March 2017
Good job, learned a lot, paid at minimum wage, but enjoyed the work, greeting the people I met, worked hard for the company and was willing to give 110%
Pros
cloee to get to, self management
Cons
company went bankrupt
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 March 2017
Goodwill was a fun place to work with good people, and I learned many different skills while working there. The work life balance was really good as well.
Rewarding experience
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2017
Working for a non-profit company is such a rewarding feeling. Nobody does it for the money, it was a living wage for one person and no extras. Working in the store was exhausting so I slept so well every night.

It's long hours on your feet though which is why I had to leave the position. It's meant for someone young and/or very fit. I stuck it out for 7 years and was tearful when I left.

The people I worked with and the customers were wonderful. Goodwill's mission is to employ Albertans with disabilities so along with the different ethnic culture, you are also working with people who have been told for so long that they can't work and they're just such an asset to the company.
Pros
Multi-cultural experience, discount off purchases
Cons
physically taxing
Goodwill Summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 February 2017
- Cashier
- Stocking
- Opening/Closing Store
- Assisting customers finding desired products and clothing
- Separation of donated products in different categories (Mens, Women, Toys, Hardware etc)
Perfect Place to work for.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
A great place to start a career in a Non-Profit sector.
great management.
Flexible schedules
Friendly working environment.
Too bad they closed down
Employment Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 February 2017
Great company to work for. Culture is great in the coporate/office and people are generally very nice. Can't say the same for the employment center though - nice people but a lot of politics.
Pros
nice people, good culture, good pay, work life balance
Cons
they closed down, lots of politics and secrets, demographic was generally older so work being done wasn't very efficient
review
Assistant MAnager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 February 2017
it was a job. the pay was alright. company didnt have room for advancement. since it somehow went out og business all the merchendise was free.
Pros
decent money
Cons
company is bankrupt
Productive and fun no stress alot of team work
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Essex, ON31 January 2017
Love working for them no stress and always worked as a team. They always took care of any concerns we h ad . Learn alot about help others in need. They always looked out for you and made sure you work were ok during storms and your work continue were good continue . Health and safe were a top priority
Pros
Good work hrs
Cons
Not enough hrs
about my work place.
cashier cleaner; (Former Employee) –  dundas and islington30 January 2017
good environment ;happy  ;learned about ppl and customers.good management.different cultures.the most part interacting with ppl.'i enjoy working the hardest part of job was dealing with unruly customers;which made my job a little more desirable because it helped me cope with other parts of the business;;;
Pros
i enjoyed working;;;
Cons
bussiness closed
Horrible place to work!!!!!!!
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON29 January 2017
First of all this is my opinion from a former worker In a work place you would hope management leads by example but not here.Here they lead by intimidation with a smile on their faces.There is such a huge disconnect between management and employees.The pay is horrible with no chance of a raise. Management protects there own sort of like a club atmosphere.They dont touch product for fear of getting hands dirty.If you are looking for high morale then this is definitely not the place for you.

Bottom line is dont apply here its short term thats all low pay ,intimidation, basically a downer.
Pros
regular employees are good people
Cons
low pay, no morale, poorly run
like the people
Donations Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 January 2017
I started with sorting merchandise and was promoted to hanging and ticketing

the hrs were mon to fri 8-430 cant go wrong

and it was close to home in st thomas
It was great place to work for
Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2017
It was a fun and great place to work for I really miss working there the people I got to work for were really nice and loved helping albertans with disabilities find a job and I felt like I was making a difference
Pros
Helping people with disabilities find a job
Cons
Lots of standing
Poor workplace
Full-time Lead (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON10 January 2017
Goodwill is a very poor place to work for. No flexibility. Can be unsafe. Management is extremely poor and play favourites. It is not a relaxed environment and for being a non-profit organisation, all they care about is making money and not helping those in need as much as they say they do.
conversations during break time
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 December 2016
Busy always with customers and I have learned to be patient when attending customer. I had nice co-workers always helping each others when some one of us have difficulties handling customers .
Pros
short breaks
Cons
distance from work
Busy, labour intensive
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 December 2016
Constantly changing schedules make for difficult home-work balance for families. Employees are, for the most part, happy to be employed.
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
great place to work
great employees
fun place to be

just love charity/helping people to do well in such environment.
because giving to life is the most important key in working at goodwill
It was a great place to work until it closed it's doors on us on Jan 16,2016.
Full Time Resell Agent (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 October 2016
I started my day cleaning up donations and I learned that you can recycle almost anything. My boss was a good guy and I got along with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was the heavy lifting of furniture and the thing I enjoyed most was interacting with the donors and customers.
Pros
Employee discounts on priced items.
Where dreams go to die.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 October 2016
I devoted several years of hard work, tons of overtime and travel and a great amount of innovation and implementation. I was not paid on time, 9 times! Once before Christmas. Myself and co-workers were screamed at, sneered at and treated as scum. This is in multiple locations in Southern Ontario. They abuse their workers, including their challenged workers. They put out moldy, disgusting materials and slap an outrageous price tag on it. They rob the community of not only their money and donations, but their pride and dignity as well. Worst place on Earth.
Pros
I don't work there anymore.
Cons
People work their. Even worse, people donate and shop there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.