Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
great place to work
great employees
fun place to be

just love charity/helping people to do well in such environment.
because giving to life is the most important key in working at goodwill
Where dreams go to die.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 October 2016
I devoted several years of hard work, tons of overtime and travel and a great amount of innovation and implementation. I was not paid on time, 9 times! Once before Christmas. Myself and co-workers were screamed at, sneered at and treated as scum. This is in multiple locations in Southern Ontario. They abuse their workers, including their challenged workers. They put out moldy, disgusting materials and slap an outrageous price tag on it. They rob the community of not only their money and donations, but their pride and dignity as well. Worst place on Earth.
Pros
I don't work there anymore.
Cons
People work their. Even worse, people donate and shop there.
Productive place to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON3 October 2016
Starting my shift here I would assign employees their stations for the day, help them if needed, did hourly checks on productivity. Computer use, count money, balance cash registers and bank deposits daily.
Working with different people of different cultures
Customer Service / Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bloor Street and Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON20 September 2016
Good learning experience, gaining new insights, meeting new people
Salary was satisfactory
Management was experienced and competent
My co-workers were great people, hard workers
The hardest part of the job was shift-work
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of doing a good job and doing it right the first time
Pros
Good working condiltions
Cons
layed off (1 year contract)
Goodwill is great!
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 September 2016
I enjoy working at Goodwill because of the:

- Great opportunities for job advancement
- Upbeat and fast paced work environment
- Dental, eye and health benefits
- Experience gained in a social enterprise
Negative enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara region9 September 2016
This is a terrible place to work. Management is unorganized and they don't care if you have a life outside the job. They don't train you properly and then they write you up for every little mistake you make. Very negative work environment. Head office management is very rude, unorganized and generally have the attitude that the employees are expendable.
Pros
People you work with excluding management
Cons
Negative work enviroment
Enjoyable Work Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 August 2016
The average day starts by cleaning the store until opening. For the next 8 hours I greeted donors and thanked them for their donations. Each donation was sorted for salable items and any items that were not salable were recycled in their appropriate bin. The end of the day consisted of me cleaning my work station thoroughly. In addition, I was responsible for maintaining health and safety requirements on site.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salary. Hard working employees.
Cons
Can be taxing at times if donation door gets busy
I enjoyed working there.
Kitchen staffing (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ont27 July 2016
The people that I worked with were very helpful and friendly. The work environment was very clean and accessible. Packaging some of the products can be a bit challenging, making sure everything was done correctly but I was able to do the task with either help and problem solve through it. I enjoyed meeting new people and staff. It was such a pleasant and friendly environment.
Friendly environment, different roles everyday
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 July 2016
Typical day at work means opening and closing store front, working through rushes, as well as working on cash or floor.
Seeing regular customers come in I learned a lot about customer respect. We were encouraged to be chatty and friendly always.
Management was great, very reliable, flexible with time off and friendly with staff.
Co-workers were welcoming and friendly. They were always there if you were unsure of something.
The part I enjoyed the most was helping the customers, weather its assisting with the show case or answering questions on the floor. They were kind people and the more I saw them, the more we had to chat about.
Pros
see a variety of second hand treasures each day
Cons
did not get staff discount
fun and got the chance to meet new people
Labourer (coop) (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2016
a typical day at work would have to be when I set out at a station and productivity was not well organized but what I learned about it was how to do packaging and un-packaging and assortment and the team management was amazing to work with they set me out to do something as simple as it can be and instructed me with every single detail, and my coworkers were amazing to work with non were serious at all they had smiles made me laugh on occasion, and for the hard part of work was getting up to early and constant bending down, and the most enjoyable part of the job was having to learn new things every single day and meeting new people
Great work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON16 June 2016
bringing stuff from outside to inside the store. Then stocked shelves, wiped them down, dusted, sorted, stacked, heavy lifting
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough work
Productive and relaxing workplace
Administrative Assistant (co-op) (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 June 2016
I really enjoyed doing my Co-Op placement at the GoodWill . Everyone is so friendly and helpful . Never a dull moment always something to do .
Pros
Got to work An Awards ceremony.
Cons
Co-Op had to end .
great opportunity
Client Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
I had many opportunities to deliver efficient customer services to clients and be supportive with their specific work related needs
Pros
Idea sharing
good employess
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 May 2016
great place and people to work with,and great first experience for the training i just had with pathways skills P.M.T course.
great place to work, fun and joyful
retail.sales agent (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 April 2016
steady work place, learning different areas of work place, management was the best to work with, the people were not only co-workers but just like having family. loading unloading trucks were hardest part. my enjoyable part of the job was see my co-workers every day and working at all difffernt stations,
Pros
great management
Cons
unorganized
A great place to work and a great team of employees.
Senior Re-Sell Agent (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 April 2016
A fast paced and fun work enviroment, I learned a great deal on managing and supervising 10 to 15 people a day, When help was needed for the management team I was always ready to assist. Part of my duties was,also dealing with customers concerns and trouble shooting to help them with purchases or their donated goods. Sorting through the donations and getting them ready for re-sale.
Pros
Being rewared for a job well done was free lunches for staff
Cons
Bringing in donations that were left outside, that were usually unsellable because of the weather.
I worked efficiently and effectively with the staff to achieved the targets
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton ON2 April 2016
I gained remarkable experience in working at the Goodwill store. I learned how to communicate with the staff to achieve the goals of the company.I am pragmatic and dynamic manager, the first quarter of 2015, I increased 4% of the sales budget of my store. The co-workers were very happy to work with me because I always concerned about their work environment, safety work place, free of hazardous and effective communication with them The hardest part of the job was to control the difficult customers. My most enjoyable part of the job was to listen the grievances of the staff and solved their problems, and built up good relationship with the customers.
Pros
Get the new ideas from the employees to improve the business
Cons
Changing the attitudes of the people
Organization is now bankrupt!
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2016
Senior management was very irresponsible, and very unethical.
My co-workers were the only good part of the job.
Location was out of the way and far from transit.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
senior management
Productive, team oriented work enviornment
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 March 2016
GoodWill Industries gave me an opportunity to grow as an individual in a very positive environment. Goodwill Industries promoted family balance and encouraged team spirit.
A comfortable environment with productive spirit
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON23 March 2016
At Goodwill, employees organize, restock, handle imports and exports, and providing customer service. I learned quite a bit about how an average workplace operates, and how management of employees is handled. I enjoyed working alongside my co-workers, who were both equally helpful and kind. The job was not hard to do at all, and I found most of the time there enjoyable.
Pros
Productive environment
Cons
Standing all day

Goodwill Industries Reviews by Location