GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

boring workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 4, 2015
6/10 was okay, not as lively as I thought it would be. Co-workers were good people,learned how to time manage, management was not the best, lacked in some areas, typical day at work would be to check if there is soap, paper towels, clean up equipment, dust down equipment.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
work is too slow
Amazing Culture!
LEARNING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2015
GoodLife is an amazing place to work with a big focus on culture. Each and every associate should love and breathe the GoodLife core values to really be successful.
Fun, Productive Workplace Environment
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 12, 2015
Making a difference in peoples lives by getting them on a program to be healthy is the most rewarding feeling in the world.

You get intensive training and guidance from your management team.
very productive
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  ajaxOctober 1, 2015
Level 2 Personal Trainer
GoodLife Fitness Club, Ajax, ON (Contract) 2014

Maintained a portfolio of 3-5 consistent personal training clients
Sold numerous ‘boot camp’ programs to potential long-term training clients
Used my specialize service of stretching as a means to bring added value and overall holistic training to my clients
Prospected for new clients on a regular basis
One-on-one consults with potential clients to analyze and understand their fitness needs and goals
Designed customized personal fitness programs and personal profiles that will assist in achieving client expectations
Supported and promoted all GoodLife Fitness Programs within all business and training activities
Fun lively energitic workplace
Customer Service Coordinator / Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Best place to work as a young adult
helped make people healthy each and every day
sales training is beyond measurable
a place to smile everyday
lots of ladders to climb
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 17, 2016
• Greet visitors or callers and handled their inquiries.
• Scheduled and confirmed appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
• Maintained proper cleanliness in the studio.
• Responsible as a key holder for opening and closing the studio.
• Met daily sale quotas.
Overall Terrible.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Regent, MBDecember 9, 2015
I started out in child minding at goodlife while I was looking into their PT certification course CanFitPro. First off they expect you to watch 25+ children with only one paid worker and a volunteer. If you need something one person has to stay in the room and the other leaves. So not great at all. I then got "promoted" to front desk. Not a very hard job. I can deal with customers but the training side was an embarrassment. Ensure that your staff is fully trained on the policies and paper work before leaving them alone at the front desk. Management overall was terrible. They didn't know how to manage. The assistant manager prided herself on being a b*tch and the general manager was very passive aggressive and couldn't handle certain situations. I then became a trainer. It's great if you want to get started and PRACTICE being a trainer. But anyone can be a trainer at goodlife!!! All you have to do is pay $800 for the weekend course and you're in. Only a few trainers actually cared about furthering their knowledge and cared about their clients. Most trainers were perfectly fine at being mediocre at best. I got in trouble for getting certifications because it made the other trainers on the board look bad. Once you become a trainer you work obscene hours with little to no pay, and are expected to sell training packages which are along the lines of buying a small car. They preach about CARING when really they've turned inot a corporate giant with little to no care for their employees or members. BEWARE OF THE GOODLIFE KOOL-AID.
Pros
Great coworkers if you're lucky and free membership.
Cons
Obscene hours, terrible management, no focus on quality of service, and only cares about making money for the heads of the company.
Awful Work Environment
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2012
The company is not interested in its customers and servicing them anymore, it has grown too fast and is now filling its managerial roles with inexperienced and unqualified people. Its become an entirely sales driven environment, with few benefits for the sales teams and trainers who do the majority of the work, while the managers who are supposed to assist these teams do little while reaping the rewards.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours, low pay, poor management
A fun yet discipline place to start.
Marketing Promotional Associate (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 14, 2015
People often believe that working fast food is bad, but it really teaches you the power of teamwork and the effectiveness of time management. You meet a lot of people and learn from their experiences, which in turn, will aid you greatly i the future.
Pros
Lunches, and coworkers.
fun atmosphere
Personal Trainer / Kickboxing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 26, 2016
very friendly, positive and motivating.
social and outgoing coworkers.
supportive and helpful
enjoy going into work and training clients
High energy and fun workplace
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
A high energy and fun workplace that encourages a healthy lifestyle. Friendly and welcoming staff and members. Lively and rewarding work environment.
Fun workplace with opportunity for advancement
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2014
Great culture and the company adapts well with changing workforce. Days are very busy and there are often no down times during the day. Most that work for the company have the same values and personality type. Fun place to work.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
management works long hours with no pay off
FUN
GoodLife Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 27, 2015
If you have a passion for fitness this is the place for you. Motivating and energetic people. Peak attitude is a must when motivating other people to work out.
Great co-workers, great clients
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A great overall experience that had me leaving each day with the satisfaction of accomplishment. Getting the clients a good experience was paramount.
Fun environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Being a co-op at Goodlife Fitness is an enjoyable experience. The overall environment is very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Filling paperwork
Very Supportive Company
General manager (Current Employee) –  EdmontonApril 22, 2013
I started as an AGM and was promoted to GM. I love my job!
There is a lot of room for advancement and they give you all the tools you need to be successful. They offer employees the opportunity to take extra courses which have made me a better manager and person !
Those of you who wrote negative comments were obviously not in it for the right reasons. Yes, there is pressure to make sales so why apply for a sales if you don't enjoy the challenge?? Not everyone will get along with their manager but chances are if you do your job you won't have any issues ;)
If you are passionate about helping people ,the sales Will come with it , which equals $$$.
You will get out what you put in.
Pros
free memberships, healthy lifestyle, ongoing support, advancement, fun
Cons
work life balance, which is expected when working full time
Corp Office not great to work at
home office (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 13, 2013
Salary is significantly lower than market value and no one in upper management seems to care - work way too much and too hard for what is paid. Benefits are alright if you're single, but as soon as you add dependents, there goea half of your paycheque. Yes, you do get a free membership...let's be honest, it doesn't cost them anything for this.

Management was the worst ever worked for - no motivation, inspiration, communication sucked, and they do not support ideas for change. You can go to HR about issues, but they don't do anything to help their staff.

The major positive is that the majority of people working there are actually great and fun people - def made the job easier to deal with.

The co is growing to fast for what they can handle, and they are so technologically behind it's like living in the dark ages.
Pros
free membership, people, casual dresscode
Cons
management, pay, benefits, technology, office building
Toxic corporate environment where money is placed above people
Trainer (Former Employee) –  BCJune 2, 2014
In all the years that I have been working in the Health and Fitness industry, I have never witnessed such disregard for the associates' needs for balance in their lives. Pressure sales with an extremely high dollar per agreement value. People are paying for trainers that are not even certified and/or have any experience, however, charge premium rates. Although the facilities are well maintained and a lot of the staff are nice, young and eager people, it isn't long before the environment becomes toxic with complaints and fear of management. I advise new trainers to find a way to begin their careers by working for smaller companies that will nurture their professional growth. If this company is your first exposure to the fitness industry, I am afraid that you will not see the best of our industry; you will see the complete opposite of what makes fitness so amazing.
Pros
free membership
Cons
poor/fear base management
Great place to work if you like to be bullied and harrssed by management!!!
CA (Current Employee) –  St. John'sNovember 18, 2012
This company talks about living the Goodlife and talks about core values and work/life balance. That is all it is! TALK!!! Once they rope you in to work there they bully and harass people into what they think is you doing your job! They will lower your self esteem and make you feel that you are inadequate at doing your job!

If you want to feel like a number for the company that you work for, you want to be bullied, harassed and feel inadequate about your work abilities, and work for less than min. wage (for the hours they require you to work and for what they pay you AND they don't follow labour standards) and poor management - then this is the company for YOU!!!
Pros
some of the best co-workers i have met
Cons
see below!!!
Awesome workplace environment
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Dieppe, NBNovember 24, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife fitness, I started first as a motivator which is front desk for the first year and then I switched to personal trainer which I enjoyed even more because I would always interact and see the progress of my clients.

Overall my experience was great: Good people, amazing energie levels and a good job for poeple who love fitness. I learned to manage my own clients wich is basically my own business, do programming for each individuals. I would usually do split shifts, starting at 8 in the morning, having a mid afternoon break and work until 9 or so at night.

I learned a lot on how to manage my own time/business and of course a lot about fitness in general. The part I liked the most is of course the 1 on 1 hour I had with my clients, great way to bond with them and see how they respond to different types of training.

One of the hardest parts was the sales but always managed to to them of course, selling in average personal training packages of 3000$-6000$ for long term training.
Pros
great salary for young poeple who are just starting out
Cons
can be long hours with split-shifts

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location