GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

A great place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONDecember 20, 2015
Really enjoy working at GoodLife. Great culture and great people to work with! A great way to stay fit during your work day.
GoodLife Summary
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 14, 2015
I learned alot of independent work skills while working with GoodLife.
The management was hard to work with because he was very biased with concerns and issues. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing friendly faces (members that come in every day).
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Overall Terrible.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Regent, MBDecember 9, 2015
I started out in child minding at goodlife while I was looking into their PT certification course CanFitPro. First off they expect you to watch 25+ children with only one paid worker and a volunteer. If you need something one person has to stay in the room and the other leaves. So not great at all. I then got "promoted" to front desk. Not a very hard job. I can deal with customers but the training side was an embarrassment. Ensure that your staff is fully trained on the policies and paper work before leaving them alone at the front desk. Management overall was terrible. They didn't know how to manage. The assistant manager prided herself on being a b*tch and the general manager was very passive aggressive and couldn't handle certain situations. I then became a trainer. It's great if you want to get started and PRACTICE being a trainer. But anyone can be a trainer at goodlife!!! All you have to do is pay $800 for the weekend course and you're in. Only a few trainers actually cared about furthering their knowledge and cared about their clients. Most trainers were perfectly fine at being mediocre at best. I got in trouble for getting certifications because it made the other trainers on the board look bad. Once you become a trainer you work obscene hours with little to no pay, and are expected to sell training packages which are along the lines of buying a small car. They preach about CARING when really they've turned inot a corporate giant with little to no care for their employees or members. BEWARE OF THE GOODLIFE KOOL-AID.
Pros
Great coworkers if you're lucky and free membership.
Cons
Obscene hours, terrible management, no focus on quality of service, and only cares about making money for the heads of the company.
Job relies on ability to promote yourself
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Expect to spend at least 20 hours a week at the beginning 'prospecting' or directly promoting yourself to the public.

You will not be paid for these hours, they will instead advance you minimum wage/hour out of your eventual commission.

Expect to not have any sort of personal life for the first three months (or you will very likely be quitting).
Pros
Get to set your own schedule
Cons
Long Hours or split shifts are frequently needed.
all that matters with goodlife is how much you sell, they don't care about quality of your service at ALL
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Victoria TerraceNovember 16, 2015
after becoming certified, my first personal training job was with goodlife. I joined them hoping to grow and learn with the "leading fitness industry". shorty after joining them I realised im in the wrong place if I want to be a professional trainer. first of all I looked at other trainers that have been at goodlife for more than 5 years and none of them knew anything other than canfitpros scope of practice. you ask a technical question and they all start scratching their head and dancing around fitness facts sounding like they have no idea what they are talking about. Also, as if this is elementary school, you have to worry about other personal trainers stealing your food, and I swear pigs live cleaner than some of these PTs.

I decided to become a personal trainer to actually change peoples life, but you cannot do that in goodlife. Personal trainers in goodlife have a DAILY meeting in the morning with their managers to tell them how many sessions did they sell the day before, or how many sessions they are hoping to sell on that day. BUT theres no meeting to ask the personal trainers how are they doing with their clients and what are the concerns, or anything about the quality of the service to the clients

to me, Goodlife is a joke and a symbol of corporation greed
Pros
Range of Equipments to use on your own workouts
Cons
long hours, poor management, no respect for quality of service to your clients, feel more like an insurance seller than a personal trainer
personal training at goodlife
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONNovember 9, 2015
Manager was not nice, long hours with very low pay. expect you to be a machine. go go go with no stopping. Manager interrogated me everyday
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours no pay
Amazing Culture!
LEARNING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2015
GoodLife is an amazing place to work with a big focus on culture. Each and every associate should love and breathe the GoodLife core values to really be successful.
It was a productive and fun workplace..
Fitness Trainer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2015
I totally enjoyed helping others achieve their goals...I learned how to deal with all different personalities..
Working with management was very helpful for me to learn
I love being a team player
Most enjoyable was working with the public
Pros
Meeting alot of people that live in the community and welcoming them back
Cons
The administrative stuff
I really miss
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 20, 2015
I really miss the upbeat atmosphere. I loved crunching sales numbers and developing to be the best I could possibly be. I would 100% recommend this job.
Pros
Working out for free
Cons
Long days
Energetic workplace, terrible work-life balance, no room to grow.
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 16, 2015
An average day as a personal trainer at GoodLife fitness included meeting new gym members to get them started on training, walking the floors to make sure the gym was tidy, and meeting current clients to train them.
Motivating people towards their goals felt great, but the work-life balance was very hard with the rate of pay.
Pros
Met tons of new people, felt energized at work, best shape of my life.
Cons
long hours, unprofessional management, rate of pay nil for first few weeks of working for them (until you build a client list)
amazing
Personal Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 13, 2015
Fun place to work in because of the supportive management. It has helped me personally grow into a fine personal trainer and a person. Most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Fun, Productive Workplace Environment
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 12, 2015
Making a difference in peoples lives by getting them on a program to be healthy is the most rewarding feeling in the world.

You get intensive training and guidance from your management team.
Great place to work and workout
Motivator (Customer Service Representative) (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, OntarioOctober 10, 2015
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
By yourself on weekends
boring workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 4, 2015
6/10 was okay, not as lively as I thought it would be. Co-workers were good people,learned how to time manage, management was not the best, lacked in some areas, typical day at work would be to check if there is soap, paper towels, clean up equipment, dust down equipment.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
work is too slow
very productive
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  ajaxOctober 1, 2015
Level 2 Personal Trainer
GoodLife Fitness Club, Ajax, ON (Contract) 2014

Maintained a portfolio of 3-5 consistent personal training clients
Sold numerous ‘boot camp’ programs to potential long-term training clients
Used my specialize service of stretching as a means to bring added value and overall holistic training to my clients
Prospected for new clients on a regular basis
One-on-one consults with potential clients to analyze and understand their fitness needs and goals
Designed customized personal fitness programs and personal profiles that will assist in achieving client expectations
Supported and promoted all GoodLife Fitness Programs within all business and training activities
fun and nice place for work
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2015
Fun work place with great chances to work out and maintain good healthy life. Nice new equipments to work with and good training on how to use gym equipments and safety.
Long Hours, Mediocre pay, Expensive benifits, Great opportunity for Learning,
Sales Manager/ Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2015
I met great people while working there. I learned a great deal and experience a great deal of success...but it was not easy!!!

I works incredibly hard and worked long hours. The job forced me out of my comfort zone and challenged my inhibitions.

The part I loved best was helping people. They would come feeling nervous or sad or frustrated. They wouldn't know where to start and I would show them and educate them and give them tools and options and sometimes (not always) it changed a person's life. And I was able to watch the change. That felt good.

Policies and procedures changed often making things a bit confusing at times.

Low rate in pay for frontline associates translated to low level of commitment to GL's so called " World Class Customer Service" and made employee attrition terrible.
Pros
The potential positive impact you can make in people's lives is awesome
Cons
frontline workers are under paid - turn over was crazy.
If you are a go getter...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 17, 2015
You have to be a go getter and one with thick skin to work here. It is a large company and if you are able to overcome cost objections with people and sell, sell, sell..then this is the job for you.
Reception
Receptionist/Administrator and Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Really good company, opens a lot of opportunities when working there, Very busy place so always running around. Bosses always happy to help
Pros
fun place
Cons
lunches cut short
good facility, great work culture,
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  select ave clubSeptember 14, 2015
meeting at 10:30, prospecting hours and down time( rest and workout time). and then training clients schedule week advanced. manage your own work and life time to get the best enjoyable work time.
my co-workers are so nice to help each other. and we are truly as a family.
the hardest part of the job is hard to find clients as your premium clients
the most enjoyable part of the job is control your own time.
Pros
good hourly pay; control your own time; encouragement; motivations
Cons
commission based