GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

NOT about fitness. ALL about sales.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 October 2016
After 26 years as a PT and specializing in three distinct fields, the oil crash in Calgary forced me to move to Medicine Hat, so I applied to GoodLife. Within a minute I had 3 red flags come up. If I wanted to work there I now had to pay for a new course from them and pay it back within 3 months. RED FLAG ONE.
Then I would have to work almost 14 hrs a day to make what I made in Calgary and get 10% of what I brought in. This was almost RED FLAG 2 and 3.
Then the door slam one. Because I specialize in a very rare field (especially in Med Hat), I was told to my shock I would have to sign a form to NEVER train clients outside their facility. I teach certain things outside...OUTSIDE!. She told me I would have to stop doing that. The job interview was now over.
Pros
ARE NONE.
Cons
EVERYONE. No customer service...just sales
Goodlife Fitness
Motivator, Front desk worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON10 October 2016
The atmosphere was great, interacting with new people all the time. However it can be quite boring when its a slow day. Overall a great place to work and a fun atmosphere. Always felt like a family there.
Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Great Culture
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2016
Is a company that cares for the people and the members. The owner is very involved and for such a large company, it really is nice to have everyone meet the owner. Can improve on finding a way to create better work life balance
A Blank Book with a Pretty Cover
Overnight Motivator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016
Goodlife Fitness started out as the dream career and progressively lost its flare after a few years of working there and getting no where.
What used to be a "gym family" focused environment soon turned into a money making sales push.
goodlife
personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 September 2016
Goodlife is a great company to work for
I have worked with them for 2 years
they are eager to help develop your roles and learn new things
my coworkers are amazing
and I have a lot of fun everyday
Fun place to work
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
I learned how build my own business, pursue my own personal goals, and grow my love for the fitness industry. Management was great and always there for me every step of the way
Pros
Great team
Cons
I was able to stay fit and work
motivator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 September 2016
I really enjoyed my time working at GoodLife fitness. My co workers were very nice people I'm glad I got to meet them. The environment was very positive and fun. I also enjoyed welcoming members into the gym with a positivity.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
there was cons
Great environment, Bad management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 September 2016
The environment is great, I loved being at the gym all day everyday and working with individual clients. Working with a bunch of young aspire trainers was great also and developed some good relationships. On the other hand, this company has way too much priority on sales, I didn't want to become a trainer so I could worry about selling all day everyday. The management puts so much pressure on all of its trainers to sell sell sell, if you do sell you get praised for about a day then the following day you're expected to sell more sessions and if not you're back to getting yelled at for not making the company money. At the end of it, they're was much more pressure to sell than there actually was training clients. If you want to do sales everyday all day then this is the job for you but for me I'd rather be training clients than continually harassing members on getting started with training.

In summary, a great atmosphere and most people are good. Could probably complain about the way they go about things all day but I won't, too much pressure on sales management doesn't care about you personally only about if you're making sales. Feels like you have to be a robot working for an evil corporation.

Better options out there for trainers.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Management, not caring for you, more sales than training.
Good Company, No work life balance.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 September 2016
Working for GoodLife is a great job, but it offers low income and has low to almost no work life balance. Great people to work with, awesome culture.
workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 September 2016
good work place and employees, made great friendships and also was able to learn a lot with handling clients as they had a fitness goal to achieve, i was able to offer guidence
Changing peoples lives
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON26 September 2016
Great company to work for but unless you go into sales there is no advancement.
It can be a very fun place to work; the members are the best part.
I usually work the front desk for a few hours greeting members, scanning them in and preparing any paperwork to make any changes/payments to their account.
Later, I take all of the paperwork and cash to the back and go through the paperwork making sure that everything is correct on the paper and in the computer. If there is a problem I call the member to explain what is needed and make sure they understand what and why we need the information. I make sure that the cash balances and prepare the bank deposit as needed. Also responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
As a hole, I love my job however, there is no room for advancement unless I go into sales which is quite high stress with daily goals.
I would continue doing this job forever however, I am looking for more challenges.
Fantastic workplace, with amazing staff members and amazing management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON21 September 2016
I absolutely loved working here, school did get in the way causing me to leave, but everything there was amazing. The staff was friendly and welcoming, the management team was also very friendly and welcoming. It felt as if it was a very close family-like environment in the workplace. Absolutely loved going to work and hated leaving.
Pros
Free workout time, close staff, friendly staff, friendly management
Cons
N/A
Tough bu rewarding
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 September 2016
I love to encourage, inspire, and motivate others to achieve their fitness goals and I was able to accomplish this at Goodlife. I found out the hard way that you're expected to be more of a salesman than a trainer which I disliked.
Great Experience
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 September 2016
Great place to start off. I worked here for 7 years and I would never change it for the world, My superiors were fabulous. Alot of growth and networking done.
Great place to work need better management
Personal Trainer, fitness manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary7 September 2016
Really focused on making everyone a part of my family circle and enjoyed every day I worked there. Since meeting new people with a common goal is a enjoying making a difference in someones life is an experience that I will never forget. The problem was dealing with management everyday and making me feel like a kid instead of an adult was the reason why I left both times.
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
Great management but terrible work policies
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto5 September 2016
This is not your average hourly job, the only time you are being paid is when you are in a work meeting, and training clients. Aside from that you are there on your own time trying to acquire clients from within the gym. The hardest part of the job is making sure your clients come and train for that hour block of time. If they do not show up, you will not be paid. You can decide to charge the client if they do not give you 24 hours notice of the cancellation. If you do charge them, you can be sure that some clients will be sour because they do not appreciate your time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk and learn about other peoples lives while you help them improve their physical wellness and lifestyle and helping them reach their fitness goals.
Terrible Management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 September 2016
Management are all inexperienced, immature, vindictive and incredibly ignorant.Expectations were totally unrealistic and was punished if the expectations were not met.
Pros
Free Gym mebership
Cons
Long hours, Expectations of working for no pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.