GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
High Pressure
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: hourly wage
Cons: long hours
GoodLife was not a great company to work for, there was a lot of pressure and the people were not that nice. Management didn't listen to any complaints.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free membership, salary and benefits.
Cons: long hours, poor, lazy & shady management.
I worked for GoodLife for 3 years as a fitness Advisor. The job is basically a glorified telemarketer. Overall the job was great and i learned a great deal. I was lucky enough to work in a busy location and we got a lot of walk in traffic. This took a lot of pressure off having to leave the club to find your own business. Although they provide you with a lot of tools to get the job done the training is a little shady. You have to find what your comfortable with and find a way to make it work. If you have a good manager they will train you everyday at the 3pm meetings "sharpen the saw", in my case this rarely happened. My manager was either out of the club, working out or dealing with personal issues during these times. When the district manager did their monthly meetings we would basically put on a show for them.

If you work in a location that is not so busy be prepared to do a lot of extra work and long hours and not be paid for overtime.

Room for advancement- if you apply for the assistant manager position i would strongly advise against it. The entire club is on your shoulders, the pay for the amount of work output sucks, and you will get very little support from the General Manger. The "numbers" that are reflected come from the hard work of the FA's and the AGM. If you hit your targets your GM will take all the credit for it and do very little work. The GM receives bonuses by cutting corners and piggy backing off of the hard work of the rest of the staff.Leading by example is not something they do and if they can throw you under the bus to make themselves look better they – more... will take advantage of that.

The company makes money off of the personal training packages not so much the memberships. The personal trainers are paid by commission only and have to work very very long hours. Make sure that you ask to see there certification as some of them that have worked there for over 6 months have no certification. As a personal Trainer you are more of a glorified Sales person.

The company is motivated by profit only. GoodLife will try and hide behind the "caring for the members" speech that you will hear frequently. This is just not the case. They care about profit only. For members that try and cancel their membership they are made to make an appointment so that they can be resold to. They make it very difficult for the member and really lack in customer care that way. The way they care is by directly booking them with personal trainers, some who are not certified, so they can sell big packages by using fear as a motivation. Once the member signs a contract for Personal Training they make it almost impossible to get out of it unless you move away-in B.C only. DON"T DRINK THE KOOL AID. They promote a party culture, this was taken to the extreme with the illegal drug use that was going on at both locations i worked at, namely management, so be careful of that. – less
Good
Customer Service (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: quotas
It is fun since one meets different people everyday. It is pretty routine which is good. It has never been boring. The company definitely offers advancements in position.
exciting and long
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ajax OntarioFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: gained experience
Cons: curently not working
Great experience

Staff and Customers were well mannered and polite. I gained a lot of first hand experience of working in a fitness field like Good Life Fitness .
Terrible Kool-Aid Culture
General Manager (Former Employee), Milton, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free gym membership for you and family member (not worth it)
Cons: over promise/under deliver, promise large on-target earnings that are not typically earned by current associates
DON'T DRINK the Kool-Aid!!

After 5-years and 3 different roles I have seen the inside and outside of that organization.

The care about profit like any company should -- however they disguise it by saying all the care about is helping members reach their goals-- this is not the case. They care about that only if you hit your goals.

On target payouts are not given until you reach 100% of your monthly target & profitability is the only thing celebrated.

They do not care about their associates work, or work-life balance.

Don't do it!
Fun workplace with motivated team members
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: learnt something new everyday and made amazing friends
Cons: in-consistent hours, and long hours (all day/night)
The most enjoyable part of being a Personal Trainer at Goodlife Fitness was the ability to create a family within a workplace. Not only was it enjoyable having a family away from home, it was enjoyable having such a good relationship with my clients.
Not so Goodlife
Personal Trainer, Team Training Coach (Former Employee), 319 yonge streetFebruary 4, 2015
You will not prosper in the company unless you are willing to give your life to Goodlife. I gave myself to them for almost a year, so very grateful they hired me with little experience. I learned a lot and grew like crazy but had no energy for anything else and that is not a "goodlife". I made them a lot of money for that knowledge they gave me and I am happy to have the experience, and now move on.
Fun work place with a great team
Fitness Motivator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day starts for me at 5am. I open the gym and perform all the opening duties (checking gym cleanliness, equiptment functions and towels.) You have to have great social skills to work in this position and be able to build repour with the members. My Coworkers are all hard working and friendly. Management is hard working and understand as well as being very supportive. The hardest part of the job would have to be dealing with member issues as they arrise. The challenging part is when members are uncooperative in which case a bit more energy is required to ensure they walk away happy. I love being able to use the gym and learn more aboiut fitness from the personal trainers.
Reliable but inconsistent
Volunteer (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free membership for the amount that i volunteered.
Cons: long hours volunteering without allowing me to assist motivators in their work, even when all of my other tasks are complete, in-efficient to have an able body just wasting away time.
Management had an overwhelming amount of re-casting on a regular basis. This makes it difficult to gain roots in an organization and be recognized for your dedication and hard work.
Work Life Balance
Fitness Manager and Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: incentives and bonuses
Cons: long hours
One of the main reasons why I took on this position 3yrs ago was because I wanted to achieve a work/life balance and that has been a constant struggle for me in this role as a Fitness Manager.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to empower women through fitness and yet the hardest part of my job has always been to find that balance between my job and my life.
School placement
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Ajax, ONJanuary 13, 2015
I did a Co-op placement here for 5 months and i enjoyed the whole aspect of being there. The people were extremely nice and were willing to help out anyone at a drop of a hat.
Wonderful job, just looking for change
Motivator (Current Employee), St. Johns, Nfld. Halifax, NSJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: no break
-Provided a great work environment
-Friendly and supportive coworkers
-I have worked with GoodLife for many years and am interested in expanding into other areas of work
-I originally was hired in Newfoundland in 2012
-I moved to Halifax for school which is when I transferred locations
High pressure position
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Tons of cold calls and way too much unnecessary sales pressure. Only a certain few can handle the job. It is not for the majority of people
Productive and fun work place while getting in shape.
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 29, 2014
Changing life with a positive fun environment way.
lots to learn in health and nutrition as well in the fitness industry.
I love to teach Zumba and smile I get from the members are priceless.
Fun workplace with opportunity for advancement
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: management works long hours with no pay off
Great culture and the company adapts well with changing workforce. Days are very busy and there are often no down times during the day. Most that work for the company have the same values and personality type. Fun place to work.
Good opportunities, must be good at sales
Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2014
Pros: great work environment
I thoroughly enjoy working for Goodlife because there are a lot of opportunities for you to grow financially, personally and professionally. I was able to face many new challenges and meet some amazing people to provide me with lasting friendships.

The benefits are achieved through self-directed learning, continuing education credits, and a strong sales oriented personality.
Awesome workplace environment
Personal trainer (Current Employee), Dieppe, NBNovember 24, 2014
Pros: great salary for young poeple who are just starting out
Cons: can be long hours with split-shifts
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife fitness, I started first as a motivator which is front desk for the first year and then I switched to personal trainer which I enjoyed even more because I would always interact and see the progress of my clients.

Overall my experience was great: Good people, amazing energie levels and a good job for poeple who love fitness. I learned to manage my own clients wich is basically my own business, do programming for each individuals. I would usually do split shifts, starting at 8 in the morning, having a mid afternoon break and work until 9 or so at night.

I learned a lot on how to manage my own time/business and of course a lot about fitness in general. The part I liked the most is of course the 1 on 1 hour I had with my clients, great way to bond with them and see how they respond to different types of training.

One of the hardest parts was the sales but always managed to to them of course, selling in average personal training packages of 3000$-6000$ for long term training.
Amazing place to work
❸ Desk receptionist duties (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 20, 2014
Pros: job opportunities
great staff, great customers. excellent work enviroment.
Fun workplace
FITNESS ADVISOR (Former Employee), OttawaNovember 14, 2014
Pros: able to change and impact people lives through fitness goals & memberships
Cons: constantly asking the same people for name & numbers
Prospect for name and numbers from clientele
Call prospect to offer free trial and drive them into the club
Attend appointment with prospect and present memberships & personal training offers.
Close membership sales with client.

Speak to existing members to get names & numbers of family & friend that may want to join a gym Daily.
Fun and challenging
Motivator/Fitness Trainer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2014
Working at GoodLife has helped with my own personal development.

About GoodLife Fitness Clubs

Goodlife Fitness is the largest health club company in Canada with over 275 clubs. The company is 100% Canadian, and was founded – Read more