GoodLife Fitness Clubs

• Salary/Benefits
Great job
Motivator (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Love it.
Friendly staff to work with.. flexible with my school hours..members are always very nice.
energetic place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: access to gym equipment, personal trainers, convenient locations, lots of laughs
I enjoyed working at the gym. I was able to assist members during there time at the gym and was also able to improve myself physically . I looked forward to being able to come to work even on my days off when I would come in and work out with friends. I became more aware of my physical appearance and health. I was happy that Goodlife Fitness played – more... a role in helping me maintain the healthy body image I have. I was really fast on my feet and able to multi task and help every one of the members and employees that came my way. I also enjoyed being able to be myself and to create a fun environment for members and other co-workers. – less
Energetic fast paced environment.
Fitness Adviser (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: great sale compensation structure
Cons: long hours, no days off no matter what on three last days of month.
A typical day at work is compromised of a morning meeting then a call canvas from the leads that you have acquired from the previous days worked. Head out to the market or the mall and start talking the everyone to generate leads for your business.(hardest part to stay on top of)

the most enjoyable part of the job is sitting with potential members, – more... helping them decide weather fitness is for them. – less
PT have fun together, but the Fitness Manager was the cancer of the gym.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Airdrie, ABDecember 30, 2013
Pros: free use of gym
Cons: no money
Hardest part of the job is relying on your clients to come in. Training a client is the only way of getting paid through GL

- I learned how to deal with people. Overcome objectives, and run my own successful business

- hardest part of the job was showing up at 5 AM and learning 25 minutes later that your 5 AM was not showing up for that session.

- – more... Most enjoyable part of working for GL had to be the trainers. Awesome team we had.

-Management was a nightmare from hell. No idea what she was doing, two faced, and never offered any sort of help to new and upcoming PT. Safe to say she is out of a job as we speak.

- Typical day is working 15 hours, trying to get new clients, and training the clients you do have in your inventory. Filling out consults, and always setting goals to better yourself.

- It was hard to advance in GL, In order to advance you would have to spend money on GL courses to be able to advance, Numbers mattered, but not so much when it came to advancing from a level 2, to any higher position. – less
Enjoyed working their but didn't like the fact that is was based on commission.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), HarwoodDecember 17, 2013
It a great beginner job for the fitness industry but its not for everybody.
money driven
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), KelownaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: 24 hours service
Cons: used high sale technics to commit client
don't care about customer financial problem. it's all about make money
Too much of everything
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2013
Pros: right in the middle of downtown
Cons: long hours and low pay.
Long hours. Expectations unreasonable if you have any type of life outside of work. Especially a family.
Demanding Job
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 14, 2013
Cons: long hours
Must have excellent interpersonal skills and maintain lasting relationships with members. Employees must also invest in job full time, very difficult to manage with other priorities to do well. Strong-willed and motivated personalities work best.
Good place to work for starters
Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2013
It is a good environment for someone very new in the fitness industry.
My position at GoodLife
Reception, Administration, CS (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: stress
I have gained a lot of experience as a receptionist and administrative assistant. I have perfected my skills in working as a team or by myself, whenever needed. I have learnt to work under a lot of stress, though not desired.
My day consists of greeting clients, answering incoming calls, making outbound calls to current clients, working in team or alone, – more... reporting to the General Manager or Assistant General Manager, building a good rapport with clients, co-workers and managers.
Hardest part of the job is working understaffed, not getting a deserving raise, working with constant changes in staff and management, as well as tremendous amount of issues from clients, stress.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with pleasant clients and co-workers, having an understanding Manager, perks to using the fitness club for myself and family. – less
This place is an absolute toilet
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), OshawaOctober 18, 2013
Pros: other personal trainers are kind and supportive
Cons: long hours, no pay, no benefits, no days off, punished for sick days, berated by management, garbage company. the whole thing is basically one big scam.
No pay, no benefits, no time off. Want to work a 60-80 hour week, days, evenings, weekends and receive no pay or benefits? Then GoodLife Penitentiary is the place for you. That and the management are essentially adult children. Their job advertisements include "Competitive base salary" ($0.00/hour), "Benefits package" (just kidding) and "flexible hours" – more... (as in ALL the hours). Don't be fooled, flipping burgers, delivering flyers, or stripping will all pay you better - by better, I mean at all. – less
Fun, healthy balance lifestyle job
Motivator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2013
.overall, goodlife is a good company to work for, learned a lot about fitness, and living a healthy lifestyle, co workers were fun and easy to get along with.
Awesome place to work
CUSTOMER CARE (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: free gym memberships
Great place to work if you are into making friends (fellow employees along with the patrons), and enjoy working in a positive atmosphere.
Fun and friendly work environment
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2013
Pros: doing what i like to do, and help people develop that same liking
Cons: availability from 6am to 7pm, even though only 5 of those hours were spent working
A typical day at work consisted of preparing paperwork on PC for clients to signature, indicating that they had attended and paid for the session. My first client started at 6am, 3 days a week. After this, I would do rounds on the gym floors, helping members with anything and general tidying up ( putting away weights and equipment ). Then I might have – more... a Personal Health Profile Assessment (PHP) scheduled ( explained on resume ). Lunch was whenever you could take it, which might be as early as 11am, or as late as 2pm, due to a client training session either at 12 or 1pm, 3 days a week. Between then and 5pm, I would read relevant books or stand in at the request of another personal trainers session, so that I may learn some tricks of the trades from them. At 5pm, the mad rush came, but it was a terrific atmosphere, because everyone felt so enthusiastic to get going after a hard days work. At 6 or 7 I was done for the day. A long day it may have been, but helping people turn their lives around was worth it. The hardest part of the job was learning to tailor yourself to each clients personality ; clients typically consider their personal trainers as "shrinks" or "agony aunts". Although this was draining at times, it was paradoxically very rewarding. – less
good
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJune 29, 2013
its a great company but the job just wasnt for me. the people were nice and they care about the memebers
Corp Office not great to work at
home office (Former Employee), London, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: free membership, people, casual dresscode
Cons: management, pay, benefits, technology, office building
Salary is significantly lower than market value and no one in upper management seems to care - work way too much and too hard for what is paid. Benefits are alright if you're single, but as soon as you add dependents, there goea half of your paycheque. Yes, you do get a free membership...let's be honest, it doesn't cost them anything for this.

Management – more... was the worst ever worked for - no motivation, inspiration, communication sucked, and they do not support ideas for change. You can go to HR about issues, but they don't do anything to help their staff.

The major positive is that the majority of people working there are actually great and fun people - def made the job easier to deal with.

The co is growing to fast for what they can handle, and they are so technologically behind it's like living in the dark ages. – less
Watching peoples lives change eveyday for the better
General Manager (Former Employee), London OntJune 11, 2013
Pros: work out when we wanted to
Cons: long hours of work
Operation of the club. membership sales, management meetings, financial, staff support.
reported to the regional manager. they were very involved and supportive
My staff was fun energetic and pleasers. Made the job easy!
Hardest part was the very long hours expected of the management team.
I enjoyed helping people with weight or heath problems. Being – more... able to see them transform. – less
Horrible place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), CanadaJune 5, 2013
If you want to be treated unfairly, get hit on by the trainers, and not have management support when needed...then work here.
Trainers need to be trained on sexual harassment.
Horrible pay.
Unorganized, all about the sales, less about peoples' health.
Very cultured work environment
Motivator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 28, 2013
Pros: free membership
Cons: unbalanced hours
I loved the experience of working within a gym, the work environment was good. The people were friendly and were very eager to hear about my knowledge in fitness. It was a good step toward my personal goal of becoming a Personal Trainer. I enjoyed teaching new members how to use equipment and answering all their fitness questions.

June 7, 2013

GoodLife is a Big legalized Scam, I worked as a trainer then got promoted as a Fitness Manager for two years in Total. System is working like this,turnover is very high, they always hire new trainers to do for them free consultations, at first trainers pay for goodlife personal trainers certification, then they will be forced to get more certifications(base camp, TRX...) and trainers have to pay for that as well, a lot of pressure from the management. Plus Goodlife sale personal training to the clients with highest interest 18%, and clients stuck in that agreements for a year...

Productive and fun place to work
Volunteer/ General Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMay 7, 2013
I enjoy working at goodlife because the energy is always high, and everyone has a good time.

About GoodLife Fitness Clubs

Goodlife Fitness is the largest health club company in Canada with over 275 clubs. The company is 100% Canadian, and was founded – Read more