GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

The fattest fitness corporation I've ever worked for
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKAugust 26, 2015
GoodLife is very good at making money. As a personal trainer you have zero job security and will not begin making any real money until you level up to level three and above. What is required to level up seems to be very straight-forward, however upper management can stop you from leveling up if your numbers don't meet their expectations.
Typically you will work a split shift, 3 or 4 clients in the morning and 4 or 5 clients in the evening, if you have a full roster of clients that is.
I learned some valuable information through some of the advertised courses through GoodLife. These courses are expensive however and often require you to travel to them.
Management tends to have no training in human resources or general management at all. Those managing personal trainers have no job security either and are under constant stress to expand their numbers, making their lives difficult, and your lives difficult.
Your coworkers are often uneducated people hired as PT's off the floor because they look fit. This tends to make for some terrible training and workplace drama
Constantly fighting to keep a full schedule is the hardest part of this job
The best part of this job is working with your clients and seeing their progress.
Pros
Decent entry level wage, opportunities to advance
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, management is bad, bureaucracy in the corporation is terrible, work place drama.
Fun and innovative
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Fast pace environment with incredibly motivated people and filled with good vibes.

Energetic atmosphere

Management was awful
Felt disrespected and guilt tripped

Not the best coworkers
Pros
Ate lunch whenever
Cons
didn't feel safe and relaxed in this environment sometimes
It was a productive and fun workplace..
Fitness Trainer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2015
I totally enjoyed helping others achieve their goals...I learned how to deal with all different personalities..
Working with management was very helpful for me to learn
I love being a team player
Most enjoyable was working with the public
Pros
Meeting alot of people that live in the community and welcoming them back
Cons
The administrative stuff
A great place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONDecember 20, 2015
Really enjoy working at GoodLife. Great culture and great people to work with! A great way to stay fit during your work day.
Not worth it
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  windsorAugust 5, 2015
The job seems really intriguing but the hours are long and the management can be sort of brutal at times. It's hard to establish what you're actually getting paid for as well which is kind of annoying
Pros
free membership
personal training at goodlife
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONNovember 9, 2015
Manager was not nice, long hours with very low pay. expect you to be a machine. go go go with no stopping. Manager interrogated me everyday
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours no pay
high pace, environment
Motivator/ Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2016
i enjoyed working for goodlife.. the staff is great, the members are great, however, it is not my passion.

interacting with the different elements of fitness was a great experience, it made me a better communicator.
Great workplace environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 8, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of scanning members in, answering phone calls, keeping the club tidy and presentable, tending to all members needs and complaints.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No help from other staff
Friendly staff and easy to work well with
Front Desk and Sales Associate - Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 5, 2016
- improved on social skills
- learned about personal trainer career
- friendly management
- can be a bit boring at times depending on work situation
Pros
free gym access
Cons
repetitive workload
Great company!
Motivator (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 2, 2016
Loved all my managers and co-workers. great atmosphere and overal company. free gym mebmership and perks included, pay could be higher though. love coming to work everyday and love what they stand for
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
poor pay
amazing
Personal Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 13, 2015
Fun place to work in because of the supportive management. It has helped me personally grow into a fine personal trainer and a person. Most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Fun and exciting!
Motivator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 20, 2016
Working at GoodLife fitness is pure joy! It is a lot of fun, because you are constantly surrounded by uplifting people. I would recommend anyone who is still in school to pursue a job at GL.
Great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 1, 2016
Some clubs get better rating as there are friendlier people. Goodlife has changed many lives. They should be a unionized company and have better wages as they are Canada's number 1 gym.
Great fun atmosphere
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 13, 2016
I really enjoyed the company, I would say it is hard to move up in the cooperate side of the company without relocating to ontario
Pros
great culture
Cons
poor work life balance
Long hours and fake people at home office
Fitness Advisor (Sales Rep) (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONApril 12, 2014
Hours as a sales rep are 10am-8pm.. way too long. They tell you that you will make thousands in sales but not always the case. There are some nice and friendly people but a lot of politics and fake people in home office and training program. Disappointed at the lack of professionalism from the HR training program side in Toronto. They try to brainwash you to be a "Goodlife Robot" and are very condescending in the training program...were treated like children.

Very unfortunate for such a positive company.

This is a temporary job not a career unless you really want to move up in management. Hours and expectations are way too high expect to not have much of a life.
Pros
made friends
Cons
long hours, low pay, drama and unprofessional
Overall positive environment among colleagues
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2015
Working during peak club hours can often become very hectic, with constant multi-tasking. I have learned quite a bit more about the fitness industry and I am an expert towel folder now. I love my co-workers, they are mostly fun and like minded individuals. Management needs major improvement. Most employee requests or suggestions go unanswered or simply ignored. The hardest part of the job is the lack of staffing during peak hours, definitely a struggle at times. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping our members and encouraging them to improve their lives.
Pros
free gym membership for family or friends after a year
Cons
difficulty switching late night shifts when needed
This job was the most positive, healthy and motivating environment.
Gym Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife, There was a lot of benifits such as having a free membership and being able to work out, and also gaining knowledge on how to train myself from trained and professional personal trainers.
Pros
I loved how healthy it made me.
Cons
I didn't necessarily like cleaning up the dirty towels so much but hey!
Enjoy my job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Country Hills Village, ABMay 11, 2016
Do in joy my job , I have learned so much and how far I have come to apply my skill why skills to the next job I may go into. You really don't get good benefits or salary.
Sales is all they care about
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 15, 2016
In a 40 hour week of personal training training, 1 hour was spent shadowing the manager train someone, at least 6 hours was spent talking about price presentation and sales tactics. All they care about is sales and pressuring you to find clients or else you can't go home
Pros
Nothing is worth it
Cons
Everything about the job
boring workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 4, 2015
6/10 was okay, not as lively as I thought it would be. Co-workers were good people,learned how to time manage, management was not the best, lacked in some areas, typical day at work would be to check if there is soap, paper towels, clean up equipment, dust down equipment.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
work is too slow