GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun and social workplace with good benefits, however numerous members of staff including multiple managers were very unprofessional and innapropriate
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
It was a very enjoyable place to work, it had flexible hours and many options for advancement. Most of the staff was a very tight knit group who worked well together and got along in social settings. I learned socialization on a new level due to constantly interacting with members. However I found management very unprofessional and it was hard to deal with that on a daily basis.
Friendly staff and easy to work well with
Front Desk and Sales Associate - Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 5, 2016
- improved on social skills
- learned about personal trainer career
- friendly management
- can be a bit boring at times depending on work situation
Pros
free gym access
Cons
repetitive workload
Great company!
Motivator (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 2, 2016
Loved all my managers and co-workers. great atmosphere and overal company. free gym mebmership and perks included, pay could be higher though. love coming to work everyday and love what they stand for
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
poor pay
Great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 1, 2016
Some clubs get better rating as there are friendlier people. Goodlife has changed many lives. They should be a unionized company and have better wages as they are Canada's number 1 gym.
Fun and innovative
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Fast pace environment with incredibly motivated people and filled with good vibes.

Energetic atmosphere

Management was awful
Felt disrespected and guilt tripped

Not the best coworkers
Pros
Ate lunch whenever
Cons
didn't feel safe and relaxed in this environment sometimes
Enjoy my job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Country Hills Village, ABMay 11, 2016
Do in joy my job , I have learned so much and how far I have come to apply my skill why skills to the next job I may go into. You really don't get good benefits or salary.
Great Culture
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 9, 2016
I've learned that not only can you live a good life by the sides of your family and friends, but you can live an even better life when you're healthy and active.

My average day is going through approval processes of fitness and personal training memberships, processing payments, club inventory orders, payroll, submission of broken machines to repairmen and staying active!

GoodLife Fitness supports all fitness goals, and enables us to stay active by generously giving a free membership to associate and one family member! The culture is amazing and ever growing. Never have I been so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
Culture, free gym membership, free classes, amazing team
Cons
long hours, lots of paperwork
Lots of opportunity
Fitness Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 4, 2016
Performance Based company allows you to move as quickly as you want to.

Can work across Canada

New locations opening all over
An okay place to work.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day consists of engaging clients towards the achievement of their fitness goals, providing structured workout programs and lifestyle tips for all fitness levels, and recruiting new members and personal training clients.

The company encourages employees to adapt to different clients needs, become incredibly personable, and to manage time and clients effectively.

GoodLife tends to micro manage their employees which I saw as a down side. While they emphasize personal, respectful and compassionate relationships between employees, employers, and members, I found the job to be in reality much more corporate, impersonal, and completely inflexible.

Generating new leads in an environment where clients and members are consistently called on and approached was one of the biggest obstacles at GoodLife,

However, the satisfaction of seeing someone accomplish something they once thought to be impossible was enjoyable. Educating others about the importance of physical activity, proper nutrition and the benefits of lifestyle changes was what I thought to be the most rewarding aspect of the job.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Incredibly long hours with no compensation nor the opportunity for flexibility.
Rewarding as far as helping others, terrible management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 2, 2016
There is no room to move forward in this company and you can find yourself kept in the dark the majority of the time. My direct supervisors and managers as well as the other associates I would work with day to day were fantastic and the overall moral was fantastic. But if help was required from home office, or people wanted to advance or even saw a potentially better way of accomplishing a goal they are put down, ignored, and many times unanswered. Anything, that i experienced anyway, above the local club level was extremely unprofessional. I would not work for this company again even though it was the most rewarding job experience I have had.
Pros
Help People reach goals
Cons
Poor Management
Co-Workers are friendly, but not the boss.
Child Minding (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
If my boss wasn't constantly checking on me, making sarcastic remarks and sending me text messages on every small piece of dust in the child minding room i missed, maybe I would have enjoyed my time more there. I worked 13 days straight once mostly worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week. Defiantly not worth the minimum wage with the stress I was put in.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Stressful.
I love the Company Culture and Vision
Manager Development Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
I had the pleasure of working for GoodLIfe Fitness for 10 year. It wasn't always easy, but was a great experience.

The company was growing so if you worked hard you would be rewarded. The training I received as a Manager and various other roles was amazing. I learned a lot about how to run a business, leadership, and mentoring others.

The most challenging parts were for many of the employees this was a first job or something they thought would be fun/easy. It is a business just like any other so it can be fun, but you have to put in effort, time, and a positive attitude to be successful.

A big part of working for GoodLife is the culture, which I loved. It was great working with other people to help the members achieve their goals. It was also rewarding to see your team members grow and achieve their personal goal.
Workplace environment
Motivational Speaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at GoodLife allowed me to adapt into a multiple work base environment. I would be responsible to work with customer service relations, paper work, personal health and fitness, on hands sales, social and communications, telemarketing and collaborated group work environment. I also happened to learn how to work under pressure with on the job emergencies that enabled me to use my day to day social and communications skills as well as my critical and analytical skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
short shifts, low pay
Healthy lifestyle and Goal oriented
Front Desk Receptionist and Child Minding Program (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 11, 2016
I worked the 9am to 5pm shift. There was always paperwork to get done, phones to answer and people to greet, we were always busy.
Having many different kinds of people come in to workout, train, go over banking problems or just to check out the club gave me the skills to appropriately help everyone that step foot into the facility.
Since it is a fitness environment some people were more shy than others so I knew it was my job, as the first face they see walking in, to make sure I am high energy, always positive and make sure they feel comfortable. Some people came in very focused and no time to talk, just get their workout in and leave. In those situations I made sure to always greet them and get what ever they needed done as efficiently as I could.
My co-workers were usually pretty great. Never had many issues with any of them. Because it got so busy at times I usually would focus on what I know I had to get done. Any serious problems I encountered I spoke with management.
The hardest part of the job was around 4PM when we would get a rush of people coming from work at once.
Having to scan everybody's key tags individually, fixing banking issues if the system told us, answering 3 phone calls coming in at once, changing television stations, grabbing Personal trainers for their clients and making sure we always had fresh clean towels for those who pay for that service. all of this at once. It did make time go by fast and alot of clients that came in were quite understanding.
the most enjoyable part was meeting all different kinds of people coming in and getting to listen
  more... to their fitness and health goals. Why these goals are so important to them and being able to encourage them everyday. I also keep in touch with some of the regular members I met and the kids I got to work with in the daycare Goodlife provided.  less
Pros
The kids, Peoples fitness goals, new people all the time, goal oriented environment
Cons
Not enough people behind the desk.
Fun and positive work environment
Fitness Motivator (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 10, 2016
Great place to work. Work as a motivator at the front desk. I greet and talk to members as the enter the gym. Light cleaning duties are part of the position, booking tanning appointments, answering the phone and occasional instruction of proper equipment usage. Positive energy in the club.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
No hours. Limited advancement options in position.
Educational and fun workplace
Motivator (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Working at GoodLife has so many benefits if you are into learning about healthy living and lifestyles. The pay is a bit of an issue, along with promised hours, but overall you are the to motivate and getting yourself inspired.
high pace, environment
Motivator/ Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2016
i enjoyed working for goodlife.. the staff is great, the members are great, however, it is not my passion.

interacting with the different elements of fitness was a great experience, it made me a better communicator.
Customers Rock /Management in need of a Manager
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Tecumseh MallMarch 21, 2016
I absolutely loved interacting and motivating clients along their journey towards achieving a more active healthy lifestyle. Watching clients transformations as the set goals and reached each mileston. It was truly an honour to encourage them to keep on keeping on motivating them to stay focused and motivated when they may not necessarily be seeing physical results or have reached a plateau. Revisiting or revising activity and exercise plans as their needs and fitness goals change or are meet exceeded or no longer meet their visions for living and achieving their best possible selves and lives.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility and opportunity to pick up additional shifts.
Cons
Management high overturn due to young and inexperienced management team.
Good Company
Trainer for private and group classes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2016
GoodLife was a good company to work except for the management. The regional manager wasn't very helpful and only cared about number. If we hit our numbers we were great, if we didn't hit the quotas we were the worst employees in the world.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Growth potentail
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 11, 2016
In my role I have autonomy over scheduling and planning. We had support of our management. A lot of travel. I would recommend entry and moving up.

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location