GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 March 2017
fun place to work, you get to meet lots of new people, you can take time and get to know the basics of excersising equpiment all while on the job. loved this job
fun workplace
Motivator (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2017
Loved working here, probably one of my favourite jobs! You build relationships with members, get into a healthy active lifestyle, and have great networking opportunities.
Pros
free membership, opportunity to move around
Cons
terrible benefits and job security
I'm very dedicated passionate and enjoy working
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 March 2017
Withe every company I have worked with following and upholding company culture is important to me.
I enjoy working with people and helping them grow within the facility and believe in going the extra mile to help where I can.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
n/a
Personal Trainer and Boot Camp instructor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 March 2017
Learned how to sell training packages
Too many long hours
Most enjoyable part was training clients.
Workplace culture is dependent on your team of employees
Management is great
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Sales before service
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Regina3 March 2017
Company emphasizes high pressure sales to build a massage clientele. Also is moving to fixed massage rates nation wide. Pricing therapists in smaller towns and cities out of the local market. Company also seems unable to effectively promote health centre services so you will be required to sell and self promote in addition to your services.
Pros
Free gym membership, discount on personal training, generally a fun friendly group of co-workers
Cons
High stress with income being commission base, many unpaid hours required to be successful
Worst Job Experience
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 March 2017
You have your regular people who are great, there's some people that are a pain and stupid and complain about the most ridiculous things - it's disgusting how people don't have any respect to clean up their own equipment. Managements a joke, very bi-polar. The culture is amazing with the location I'm at. Hardest part? Dealing with management over stupid things. Most enjoyable part of the job? The members.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No other benefits for employees, their benefits is equivalent to that of the members of the gym
Awesome Place To Work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 March 2017
Awesome Place To Work & I Hope To Work There Again Soon

All The Staff Where I Worked Were Awesome & Easy To Get Along With

Typical Work Day For Me Was Sometimes 8am-6pm

Management Was Awesome

Hardest Part Of My Job Would Have Been Trying To Make Sales When I have Very Little Sale Experience

The Most Enjoyable Part Of My Job Was Meeting New People Everyday & Getting To Know Them On A Personal Level
Pros
Availability To Unlimited Learning
Cons
Not All Clubs Are 24/7
Pros and Cons
Fitness Advisor (Full-time Sales Position) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
-Great environment to learn people skills
-Healthy environment (fitness)
-Motivated people
-Decent pay and compensation plan

-Long hours
-Micromanagement
-Lack of leadership based management style
Pros
Opportunity to meet many people
Super pushy sales job
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
Work as a Personal Trainer for 7 month, crazy schedule 5-9am and 4-8pm split shifts training clients the rest of the time prospecting, 60+hours a work week to meet the goal, no overtime pay, pay for your own training, very little training provided by GL, management is always on your case to hit numbers, get written off every week, workplace culture sucks - everybody for themselves, no help from anybody. The hardest part is finding time for family and friends, staying happy working long crazy hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and socializing.
Pros
Free Membership, meeting new people, making friends
Cons
Long hours, no work/life ballance, unpaid OT, very little training, pushy sales tactics, early hours, split shifts
overworked their trainer not enough income for the amount worked
Personal Trainer Level III (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2017
A typical day at work was to meet new clientele and give them free fitness assessment (2-5 hrs with no pay ) to gain clients. personal i had a really bad experience working with goodlife with the 4 years i was working with them . The hardest part was management was no help when you needed their help and made me work overtime because needed to hit current hours to make a living. The most enjoyable part of the job was training clients and seeing amazing results.

Want to know more about GoodLife Fitness Clubs?

Ask a question
Friendly, upbeat environment, great team members
Motivator - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB25 February 2017
Working at GoodLife Fitness isn't like you're going to work. It's such a friendly, upbeat environment. The associates and management are so welcoming, and you make great relationships with members of the gym.
Pros
Commission when you sell memberships
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Great atmosphere with great people to work with.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2017
They are very pushy to have their goals met and do not allow you to take breaks when needed if you are not where they need you to be
Pros
You get to make your own schedule, workout anytime you want, You get to teach members how to workout properly to avoid injury, watch them progress in their journey to their goals
Cons
Extremely Long hours, must spend all day in the gym, make sure you do not fall below a certain amount of hours, or there will be repercussions to deal with
fun and energetic work place.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 February 2017
show up 15 minutes before first client, depending on the day i would train clients during hours i had no bookings we would work on leads and walking the floor.
learned how to interact with clients and one on one sales, using methods i acquired through the company.
Hardest part is creating a schedule that works with work life balance.
enjoyed meeting different people whether they were my clients or just regulars in the gym, building life long friends.
Pros
gym membership
Cons
split days
Fun and energetic environment
FITNESS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 February 2017
I was involved in engaging in a number of activities over the course of a typical day such as teaching scheduled group classes which would be focused on cycling, dance, weight lifting or aerobic exercise. One-on-one personal training sessions with clients. When I was not instructing anyone, you would find me spending time training my team on interpersonal sales approaching skills and coming up with unique workouts for their clients and classes.
Pros
Making a positive change in someones life
Cons
Physically demanding
Always changing environment.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Lots of opportunity to sell yourself and the products with heavy traffic coming through the doors. keeping clients engaged is important.
Fun!
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 February 2017
Working at Goodlife was a fun experience. I love working in a fitness industry. A typical day at work is basically getting leads in which they can turn to be potential members. Selling memberships was the hardest part of the job but staying confident to sell was easy. Management were always very friendly and outgoing, always made you feel like one of them. I really enjoyed the job itself. I liked working with something I was passionate about.
Not worth working here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
As a personal trainer, you will often spend 10+ hours per day at the club, while only being paid for half of that. Not to mention GoodLife keeps 50% of the money paid for training sessions in the first place. So you basically need to work 60 hour weeks to get 30 hours. Not worth it.
Pros
Work with good, cool people for the most part
Cons
Everything Else
Fun Work Place
Co-op at GoodLife Fitness (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 January 2017
At GoodLife Fitness the environment is so amazing and so are the workers they are very welcoming we smiles on their faces.
You're expected to be a car salesman!
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Do not apply here to be a personal trainer!... unless you're a car salesman at heart. If you can do the pushy sales thing, give it a go, otherwise don't waste your time. You are expected to gain your own clients by using extremely pushy sales tactics. Management makes bonuses off of your sales. When you don't meet sales goals or lock people into at least 6 months at 3 times a week (roughly $5000), you get scolded in front of everyone. It's been so stressful trying to make ends meet and being scolded on a weekly basis by management. They put your numbers on boards and in pamphlets for other co-workers to embarrass you even more. Very negative environment... unless you're good at the pushy sales, like I said. I've lost my training passion working here. You'll never get ahead, and you'll work split shifts constantly to accommodate clients.

You get minimum wage to start. They make it sound like it's easy to gain clients... it's not, especially in this economy. You need 15-18 clients at 2-3x/week to make any sort of a decent income. No benefits or paid vacation. Clients cancel on a daily basis, and that's money out of your pocket, so be aware.
Pros
Make your own schedule... kind of.
Cons
Long days, low pay.
no benefits
General Manager, Bedford Ravines (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
Hard to call a place a career when there is little to no benefits available to full-time employees. Very fun environment to work in, great people to work with and rewarding to help people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval