GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

Job relies on ability to promote yourself
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Expect to spend at least 20 hours a week at the beginning 'prospecting' or directly promoting yourself to the public.

You will not be paid for these hours, they will instead advance you minimum wage/hour out of your eventual commission.

Expect to not have any sort of personal life for the first three months (or you will very likely be quitting).
Pros
Get to set your own schedule
Cons
Long Hours or split shifts are frequently needed.
interactive place & helps sustain healthy life
FITNESS ADVISOR/SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
-meetings in the morning
-called up appointments or referrals to setup appointments
-when for out reach to different establishments in the area
-dealt with any appointments i setup on the previous day
-if i had time left over i would mingle with members to see if families or friends needed a push towards a healthier lifestyle
Pros
longer lunchs
Cons
lunches were too long
Laid back work environment
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
I was lucky enough to have some amazing managers who trusted me to do my job. Not having someone breathe down your neck made committing to your expectations a lot easier. As a result, I was able to become a top performer. Typical day consists of you dealing with member inquiries, answering sales questions, making sales and generating leads for your business.
Pros
Free membership
An okay place to work.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day consists of engaging clients towards the achievement of their fitness goals, providing structured workout programs and lifestyle tips for all fitness levels, and recruiting new members and personal training clients.

The company encourages employees to adapt to different clients needs, become incredibly personable, and to manage time and clients effectively.

GoodLife tends to micro manage their employees which I saw as a down side. While they emphasize personal, respectful and compassionate relationships between employees, employers, and members, I found the job to be in reality much more corporate, impersonal, and completely inflexible.

Generating new leads in an environment where clients and members are consistently called on and approached was one of the biggest obstacles at GoodLife,

However, the satisfaction of seeing someone accomplish something they once thought to be impossible was enjoyable. Educating others about the importance of physical activity, proper nutrition and the benefits of lifestyle changes was what I thought to be the most rewarding aspect of the job.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Incredibly long hours with no compensation nor the opportunity for flexibility.
Fun and friendly workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 28, 2016
Although it was just for coop I had a great experience and enjoyed the work environment and how the club is run. I learned how to provide excellent customer service as well as talking to the members. The management was wonderful and my co workers were great as well.
Pros
long breaks and fun environment
Cons
None I wish I had a full time training position here
GoodLife is a great place to work!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2016
Very well structured company that compensates well. Sales oriented so you may spend several hours a week there which is why Work/Life balance is low for me.
Co-Workers are friendly, but not the boss.
Child Minding (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
If my boss wasn't constantly checking on me, making sarcastic remarks and sending me text messages on every small piece of dust in the child minding room i missed, maybe I would have enjoyed my time more there. I worked 13 days straight once mostly worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week. Defiantly not worth the minimum wage with the stress I was put in.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Stressful.
Fun and positive work environment
Fitness Motivator (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 10, 2016
Great place to work. Work as a motivator at the front desk. I greet and talk to members as the enter the gym. Light cleaning duties are part of the position, booking tanning appointments, answering the phone and occasional instruction of proper equipment usage. Positive energy in the club.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
No hours. Limited advancement options in position.
was a midnight job at a gym.. i worked out and watched tv
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJune 22, 2016
Was a very easy job, clean the gym from top to bottom, learned how to do 8 hours of easy cleaning into 2 hours of intense cleaning(speed wise) and was still thorough with it.

then i got to spend 5-6 hours working out, talking to the few members that were there. watching tv
Fun and exciting place to work
Membership Consultant/Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 13, 2016
very motivating to do better and work hard to achieve your goals
Working as a motivator was the best part of working there you really just get to enjoy the company, the gym and the people.
Pros
free membership, and great classes
Cons
if in sale your life belongs to them
Fun and innovative
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Fast pace environment with incredibly motivated people and filled with good vibes.

Energetic atmosphere

Management was awful
Felt disrespected and guilt tripped

Not the best coworkers
Pros
Ate lunch whenever
Cons
didn't feel safe and relaxed in this environment sometimes
Growth potentail
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 11, 2016
In my role I have autonomy over scheduling and planning. We had support of our management. A lot of travel. I would recommend entry and moving up.
No work life balance.
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2016
Good job if your single. But if you have a family you'll never see them. No compensation for being there all day. Management is poor and most don't workout of even look like they workout. Turnover is really high.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
no sick days, no vacation, long hours, no compensation
If you sales driven this place is for you regardless of the position
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Typical Day:
Meetings
Prospecting
Clients

Management:
Hard seller's, fitness experience not necessary, client satisfaction disregarded, no appreciation of the work you do, never complimenting, stressed out daily.

Co-workers:
Jaded, Dog eat dog.
Works for some not for others.
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Excellent work place for someone who wants to dedicate their whole life to fitness and isn't aspiring to be a high level athlete or something that will also be time consuming. Long hours and highly sales driven.
It's a Great day at GoodLife
Fitness Trainer (Sales) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2016
I am a strong believer in GoodLife's Core Values, and have adapted them to everyday life.

I love to culture of the company, and everyone I work with; including managers who are encouraging and willing to mentor you to move up in the company.
good start into the fitness industry
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Overall, good place to work as a start but feel as if I have grown since I began and am ready to take on more of a management position as well as further my experience and learning
Great workplace environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 8, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of scanning members in, answering phone calls, keeping the club tidy and presentable, tending to all members needs and complaints.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No help from other staff
Amazing place to work!
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 8, 2016
GoodLife fitness is a fun and rewarding place to work! I have met so many amazing people there and developed so many great skills. A typical day for me involves lots of paperwork, organization, supply management and overseeing club function.
Friendly staff and easy to work well with
Front Desk and Sales Associate - Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 5, 2016
- improved on social skills
- learned about personal trainer career
- friendly management
- can be a bit boring at times depending on work situation
Pros
free gym access
Cons
repetitive workload

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location