GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Fun Work Place
Motivator / Fitness Adviser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2017
I leared hoq to manage things at a fast pace. It was a fun enviornment with great people. It is hard work but it pays off with the commsions and bonouses.
No stability, and numbers driven
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 June 2017
The payment structure is confusing. There is no job stability. Management is very duplicitous. They are completely numbers driven. They pretend to want to help people, but at the end of the day they only care about how much money each trainer made them, and they frequently openly discuss such matters. You could be the best trainer in the world, but if you didn't sell a $9000 training package to someone who can't afford it then you will not be commended.
Pros
Other trainers are great people
Cons
Lack of care for truly helping people better their lives
pressure
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa17 June 2017
high pressure sales, make your own hours, newly updated system, must be canfit pro certified, prospecting, find your own clients, manager makes a difference
GoodLife Fitness: Fitness Advisor/Management Review
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2017
GoodLife treats their employees terribly. You work overtime and are unpaid for it. You are used and manipulated into doing wrong things such as falsely sign someones name and commit fraud. GoodLife has an awful reputation for abandoning their associates when they say they are there for you in hard times. The management crews are all unfortunate. They swear and act inappropriate at work. I strongly recommend to stay away.
Pros
Cons
Awful, misleading and terrible company
Great associates to work with
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 June 2017
I enjoyed working here because of the people I worked with. There are Lots of learning opportunities and the staff are great. However work life balance, pay and job benefits could be improved.
Pros
culture, friendly staff
Cons
lack of work life balance
Not worth the time/effort
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 June 2017
A typical day at work is very structured. The structure used is ancient and ineffective, thus setting associates up for failure. I say this as one of the top associates in the district. I learned nothing besides the corporate structure and that it is a dog eat dog world. Management is no good. They do not care if coworker lie and steal from one another, as long as they sell. This leads to an awful workplace culture. You are also not paid for the hours you work (See 60 million dollar lawsuit). Hardest part of the job is waking up and forcing yourself to go there everyday. Enjoyable part of the job is that you can meet some awesome people.

It's really not worth the sacrifices you will have to make to be remotely successful. The company claims its' core value is CARING...but more caring about oneself and the money they can generate. The do not care about members or employees.
Pros
You may be able to pay bills
Cons
Mostly everything
Job is standard - Management another story
Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 June 2017
If you like sales and helping people then this is the right job for you. Everything about the job is good. The problem comes with management. As it is an ever evolving workplace managers and associates change often, and as such training new associates gets forgotten. So if you are good at learning on the spot then you're good to go.
Fun place to work and grow as a trainer
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
Great way to get started as a fitness trainer and you can learn a lot from peers and co-workers. The culture is great as you are able to set your own schedule to some degree, and in way you are your own boss.

The most enjoyable aspect is working with clients to achieve their fitness goals and seeing their results.

It is however challenging to get ahead and sustain income, and very difficult to bring in new clients.
Pros
people based, engaging, social, results based
Cons
long hours, low income
GoodLife atmosphere
Overnight Motivator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 June 2017
This position was wonderful, speaking to members about their overall fitness and goals and just assisting and motivating them into a healthy lifestyle.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Unreliable coworkers
High stress; can be rewarding.
PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 June 2017
Highly stressful environment to keep up with sales but a lot of opportunities to advance and be successful. Performance has a lot to do with the location of the club you're at, which can change how easy or difficult the job seems. Lots of great opportunities for education advancement of you're successful.
Fun atmosphere
Registered Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2017
Great for meeting new people everyday & did learn a lot about working out, healthy eating, etc. It is all sales based and you're expected to be there all day everyday to make a profit.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Required to do a lot with nothing in return
Fun place to work with great benefits
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL1 June 2017
I was very grateful for the opportunity to work with such a great energetic, positive and motivating company. I learned a lot, as I was new to the position so it was very rewarding. The management was great and very personable and easy to deal with on a daily basis. The work culture was amazing! Very high energy , encouraging and always motivating me to step up to any other challenges within the club. The hardest part of the job was probably having to coordinate with head office. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such a great and positive team. Also being surrounded with such amazing members and having a great relationship with them on a daily basis.
Pros
Free Membership for myself and family
Cons
Low pay
No work / life balance
Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary28 May 2017
The pay is okay, but not great and although the owner of GoodLife states that he wants to provide 'Every Canadian with the opportunity to live a fit and healthy good life', having staff that consistently work extra hours without extra pay or time off in lieu is not providing those Canadians with that opportunity and is in fact detrimental to their mental well being and happy 'home life'.

There is too much emphasis placed on Membership sales and not enough effort put into analyzing current member stats in order to provide them with a better follow-up service.

The AGM's seem to have the worst job of all as they are expected to cover shifts for all their direct front desk and childcare staff, regardless of the time of day or night (in a 24hr gym) or what they may be doing outside of work when they get that call.

The gym is a great facility to work in and workout in, with lots of equipment and varied group classes.

It seems the staff turnover is quite high, possibly for the reasons mentioned above.
Pros
Free gym membership. Nice clean work environment
Cons
Long hours and lack of work/life balance
Great for encouraging personal health
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON27 May 2017
Hours of work are broken and varied to maximize your income potential. Clients generally require training times before and after work making for long hours to achieve a full 40 hour work week. Also difficult to build clientele.

Goodlife is very micro-managed financially with a great amount of sales pressure.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is personally making a positive difference in someone's life and having flexibility in my schedule.
Pros
Free all-club gym membership
Cons
Hours required to earn full time pay
I would not apply now that i know more about the structure
Club Administrator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 May 2017
as someone who has worked for the company for over 10 years I found that they did not treat someone with that much experience with much respect. I have been in my currebt position for 4 years and my job is not secure, in fact over 600 people in my job role are being let go in June 20 with not much help finding a new job, though they have offered a job service package (Compass) they are all admin based and not generalized
Pros
free membership
Cons
not many chnaces for pay increases, management changes a lot
Knowlegable
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 May 2017
It was a great place to work, they kept a very well maintained gym. Just felt it was time for me to move forward and look for something to further my skills.
Pros
You create you schedule
Cons
Long days
Caring,trusting, company
General Manager/Markham (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 May 2017
I have nothing bad to say about this company, I believe it is like all company trying to make it in this world.
the company really care about the people that walk through the doors.
Friendly staff
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 May 2017
Working at Goodlife Fitness is a (usually) fun experience. Majority of other staff members are fantastic and wonderful to be around while at the workplace.
Lots of work for new trainers, but very rewarding if the effort was applied.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary 17th Ave.20 May 2017
Although I was working two jobs when i was working at Good life I still took this job on and was happy with it. Every day there would be meetings where knowledge was sent around. Management was strict and disciplined which was a good thing.

The hardest part of the job was researching for some clients, as every client is different and some can be challenging.
Fun workplace with great community
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2017
Long days, it basically becomes your second home.
Amazing community and friendships
Great management
Encouraging and supportive workplace culture
Rewarding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.