GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Expected to work past your shift doing paperwork with no overtime paid out.
Fitness advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Didn't agree with the fact that they expect you to stay late everyday filling out a page of math/data entry which management should be doing. Essentially this consists of inputting your sales goals/targets and what you actually met, then doing math to get the percentage of different numbers so they could track you. I found this something the manager should be doing. At the same time, the day was spent having many useless meetings, when in fact we could be taking customers and making money. This job may be for some, but was not something I agreed with.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, no overtime paid out, unfair/unequal sales system
fun place to work with home life balance
Motivator / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2016
working at Goodlife has really shown me my potential as a caring and motivating person. im encouraged daily by both staff and members to be the best i can be. i've learned a lot about myself and my worth. the hardest part of the job is knowing you cant help everybody but i enjoy maintaining a professional relationship with the members and encourage them to the best of my ability
Pros
free membership
Cons
not enough hours
Fitness Advisor
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
This job is a very hard job, is fun for a bit but it is not for people who want a life or sleep, the management is very bi-polar in what they want so be prepared to always be on your toes, The company itself is great great ideas, just very hard job to do and there is literally no slack given in this fact, there is lots of positives and negatives though, just know what youre getting yourself into.
Pros
free membership, benefits
Cons
long hours no life
Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Fantastic workplace, with amazing staff members and amazing management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON21 September 2016
I absolutely loved working here, school did get in the way causing me to leave, but everything there was amazing. The staff was friendly and welcoming, the management team was also very friendly and welcoming. It felt as if it was a very close family-like environment in the workplace. Absolutely loved going to work and hated leaving.
Pros
Free workout time, close staff, friendly staff, friendly management
Cons
N/A
NOT about fitness. ALL about sales.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 October 2016
After 26 years as a PT and specializing in three distinct fields, the oil crash in Calgary forced me to move to Medicine Hat, so I applied to GoodLife. Within a minute I had 3 red flags come up. If I wanted to work there I now had to pay for a new course from them and pay it back within 3 months. RED FLAG ONE.
Then I would have to work almost 14 hrs a day to make what I made in Calgary and get 10% of what I brought in. This was almost RED FLAG 2 and 3.
Then the door slam one. Because I specialize in a very rare field (especially in Med Hat), I was told to my shock I would have to sign a form to NEVER train clients outside their facility. I teach certain things outside...OUTSIDE!. She told me I would have to stop doing that. The job interview was now over.
Pros
ARE NONE.
Cons
EVERYONE. No customer service...just sales
Great place to work need better management
Personal Trainer, fitness manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary7 September 2016
Really focused on making everyone a part of my family circle and enjoyed every day I worked there. Since meeting new people with a common goal is a enjoying making a difference in someones life is an experience that I will never forget. The problem was dealing with management everyday and making me feel like a kid instead of an adult was the reason why I left both times.
Great management but terrible work policies
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto5 September 2016
This is not your average hourly job, the only time you are being paid is when you are in a work meeting, and training clients. Aside from that you are there on your own time trying to acquire clients from within the gym. The hardest part of the job is making sure your clients come and train for that hour block of time. If they do not show up, you will not be paid. You can decide to charge the client if they do not give you 24 hours notice of the cancellation. If you do charge them, you can be sure that some clients will be sour because they do not appreciate your time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk and learn about other peoples lives while you help them improve their physical wellness and lifestyle and helping them reach their fitness goals.
Positive healthy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 August 2016
I always looked forward to my work day because the energizing environment I was fortunate to work in. Members and staff are/were friendly, positive and made your day a positive one. Management supported you and encouraged personal health development. Working for GoodLife Fitness encouraged me to take the path I am on in my Nutrition studies journey. The ground work for my studies was laid by seeing how nutrition, health, fitness and personal mental development all go hand in hand. I am on an amazing journey of discovery.
Pros
Free membership
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON3 August 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
A good place to be motivated.
Motivator/Sales (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 November 2016
It is a great job if you want to meet new people and hear about their fitness journey to be motivated. The people are very friendly and are always willing to help correct formation of exercises. I have learned many things from goodlife about fitness and goals.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Unfair hours.
Nice people to work with. Company doesn't care if you succeed.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 December 2016
If you want to be a personal trainer do it by yourself. Terrible experience. The people you work with are nice. But the company could care less about the personal trainers.
Pros
Nice people, free gym membership.
Cons
The pay, unsupportive and disconnected management.
It's a postive, fun, productive work environment
MEMBER CARE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  McCaul/Queen2 July 2016
it's great starting with the morning meetings getting pumped up and focused on the goal throughout the day. There is always something to do, I was always busy and talking with members it's about meeting peoples needs and doing it while having fun and making good money so I can be with family or friends and meet new ones as well. I would love to be employed by the again and stay and build a career.
Pros
you work extra hours
Cons
you work extra hours
Great place to work But verry competitive
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON17 November 2016
I was a personal trainer
It is 100% commission based
if you are not training someone, you are not getting paid
I did not get my full pay on many occations
Pros
Fun place to work and interact with others
Cons
Company is too Large and employees get lost in the paperwork
Changing peoples lives
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON26 September 2016
Great company to work for but unless you go into sales there is no advancement.
It can be a very fun place to work; the members are the best part.
I usually work the front desk for a few hours greeting members, scanning them in and preparing any paperwork to make any changes/payments to their account.
Later, I take all of the paperwork and cash to the back and go through the paperwork making sure that everything is correct on the paper and in the computer. If there is a problem I call the member to explain what is needed and make sure they understand what and why we need the information. I make sure that the cash balances and prepare the bank deposit as needed. Also responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
As a hole, I love my job however, there is no room for advancement unless I go into sales which is quite high stress with daily goals.
I would continue doing this job forever however, I am looking for more challenges.
high targets and high turnover rates for FA
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2016
the pay and benefits are not in line with the amount of work you do. not a supportive of constructive work experience. daily tasks are high in number. 30 leads min a day, 6-8 booked appointments per day and must have a 50% closing sale ratio. must do a lot of outreach, cold calling, door to door. basically whatever it takes to get the numbers into the club. cult like atmosphere.
Pros
pay full time
Cons
long hours and high targets, stressful
Laid back work environment
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2016
I was lucky enough to have some amazing managers who trusted me to do my job. Not having someone breathe down your neck made committing to your expectations a lot easier. As a result, I was able to become a top performer. Typical day consists of you dealing with member inquiries, answering sales questions, making sales and generating leads for your business.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
The staff are amazing, but head office doesn't care for their company employees
Fitness Instructor and Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON10 November 2016
Pretty easy-going job, but customers get into staff's personal space and business too often. Should be a higher-paying job for the work we put in.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Not enough pay