GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Super pushy sales job
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
Work as a Personal Trainer for 7 month, crazy schedule 5-9am and 4-8pm split shifts training clients the rest of the time prospecting, 60+hours a work week to meet the goal, no overtime pay, pay for your own training, very little training provided by GL, management is always on your case to hit numbers, get written off every week, workplace culture sucks - everybody for themselves, no help from anybody. The hardest part is finding time for family and friends, staying happy working long crazy hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and socializing.
Pros
Free Membership, meeting new people, making friends
Cons
Long hours, no work/life ballance, unpaid OT, very little training, pushy sales tactics, early hours, split shifts
Worst Job Experience
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 March 2017
You have your regular people who are great, there's some people that are a pain and stupid and complain about the most ridiculous things - it's disgusting how people don't have any respect to clean up their own equipment. Managements a joke, very bi-polar. The culture is amazing with the location I'm at. Hardest part? Dealing with management over stupid things. Most enjoyable part of the job? The members.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No other benefits for employees, their benefits is equivalent to that of the members of the gym
Great work environment (staff)
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 January 2017
The work environment (staff/customers) were great. Great culture!

Long work hours and little compensation, with a challenge to progress in the company because of lack of career advancement opportunities is why it is only 3 stars.
Pros
Staff, culture
Cons
Little pay, little opportunity for advancement
Expected to work past your shift doing paperwork with no overtime paid out.
Fitness advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Didn't agree with the fact that they expect you to stay late everyday filling out a page of math/data entry which management should be doing. Essentially this consists of inputting your sales goals/targets and what you actually met, then doing math to get the percentage of different numbers so they could track you. I found this something the manager should be doing. At the same time, the day was spent having many useless meetings, when in fact we could be taking customers and making money. This job may be for some, but was not something I agreed with.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, no overtime paid out, unfair/unequal sales system
Pros and Cons
Fitness Advisor (Full-time Sales Position) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
-Great environment to learn people skills
-Healthy environment (fitness)
-Motivated people
-Decent pay and compensation plan

-Long hours
-Micromanagement
-Lack of leadership based management style
Pros
Opportunity to meet many people
Cons
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON3 August 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income
Fitness Advisor
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
This job is a very hard job, is fun for a bit but it is not for people who want a life or sleep, the management is very bi-polar in what they want so be prepared to always be on your toes, The company itself is great great ideas, just very hard job to do and there is literally no slack given in this fact, there is lots of positives and negatives though, just know what youre getting yourself into.
Pros
free membership, benefits
Cons
long hours no life
Pt/fm
Fitness Manager/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON21 March 2017
Great corporate culture, great training and development, opportunities for advancement for staff. Not for the faint of heart. Must be a highly motivated self starter.
Pros
Flexible schedule, unlimited income potential
Cons
You're expected to be a car salesman!
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Do not apply here to be a personal trainer!... unless you're a car salesman at heart. If you can do the pushy sales thing, give it a go, otherwise don't waste your time. You are expected to gain your own clients by using extremely pushy sales tactics. Management makes bonuses off of your sales. When you don't meet sales goals or lock people into at least 6 months at 3 times a week (roughly $5000), you get scolded in front of everyone. It's been so stressful trying to make ends meet and being scolded on a weekly basis by management. They put your numbers on boards and in pamphlets for other co-workers to embarrass you even more. Very negative environment... unless you're good at the pushy sales, like I said. I've lost my training passion working here. You'll never get ahead, and you'll work split shifts constantly to accommodate clients.

You get minimum wage to start. They make it sound like it's easy to gain clients... it's not, especially in this economy. You need 15-18 clients at 2-3x/week to make any sort of a decent income. No benefits or paid vacation. Clients cancel on a daily basis, and that's money out of your pocket, so be aware.
Pros
Make your own schedule... kind of.
Cons
Long days, low pay.
n/a
Personal Trainer and Boot Camp instructor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 March 2017
Learned how to sell training packages
Too many long hours
Most enjoyable part was training clients.
Workplace culture is dependent on your team of employees
Management is great
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Great environment, Bad management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 September 2016
The environment is great, I loved being at the gym all day everyday and working with individual clients. Working with a bunch of young aspire trainers was great also and developed some good relationships. On the other hand, this company has way too much priority on sales, I didn't want to become a trainer so I could worry about selling all day everyday. The management puts so much pressure on all of its trainers to sell sell sell, if you do sell you get praised for about a day then the following day you're expected to sell more sessions and if not you're back to getting yelled at for not making the company money. At the end of it, they're was much more pressure to sell than there actually was training clients. If you want to do sales everyday all day then this is the job for you but for me I'd rather be training clients than continually harassing members on getting started with training.

In summary, a great atmosphere and most people are good. Could probably complain about the way they go about things all day but I won't, too much pressure on sales management doesn't care about you personally only about if you're making sales. Feels like you have to be a robot working for an evil corporation.

Better options out there for trainers.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Management, not caring for you, more sales than training.
Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
fun workplace
Motivator (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2017
Loved working here, probably one of my favourite jobs! You build relationships with members, get into a healthy active lifestyle, and have great networking opportunities.
Pros
free membership, opportunity to move around
Cons
terrible benefits and job security
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
fun work environment with approachable staff
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 December 2016
Great job, fun, lots of help when necessary, management is great. Very enthusiastic conference calls, Trying to meet quota during slow months is a burden
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours, no paid over time and constant stress of meeting quota
no benefits
General Manager, Bedford Ravines (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
Hard to call a place a career when there is little to no benefits available to full-time employees. Very fun environment to work in, great people to work with and rewarding to help people.
Loved the job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC20 January 2017
As a Fitness Trainer, I would make recommendations of available health and fitness services based on personal member needs and preferences. Reception and clerical duties including handing paperwork, filing, computer entries, bookkeeping and collecting payments. Greeting of new and regular clientele while providing a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Also building strong personal rapport and providing facility and equipment orientations.
All staff have to be CPR and AED every year.
My manager was awesome, unfortunately our location was converted to a different branch and most if not all staff were laid off.
The workplace culture was one of a kind. We were not just a ladies only fitness club, we were a community. From the staff to the members, we were always there for each other.
Hardest part of the job was the low pay, but the highlights of the job made it so worth it.
Giving ladies a safe place to be themselves and improve, as well as help to change their life by making healthy choices. It will be missed!
Pros
Free Canada wide membership!
Cons
Low pay
Great coworkers... job was aweful
Member experience specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 January 2017
I worked a few positions with goodlife, but the worst was as a member experience specialist at home office. The culture changed dramatically over the time I was there. It went from providing the best service to the members, to providing the fastest. It was very much a call centre environment.
They expect you to include A, B,C, D, and E in the call, but they want you to complete everything in 3 minutes, which is incredibly stressful. If you don't complete these things, you are reprimanded.
You are also yelled at on a daily basis by members, which emotionally drains you. And it always gets worse when there is a major change made to any of the clubs. You are usually the last to know about it, but you have to deal with all the complaints and backlash.
At the end of the day, the pay is really not worth the amount of work you do and the stress you deal with.
The one saving grace is that the people you work with are really great and I ended up making some really close relationships with them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too much stress, little pay, evaluated on quantity not quality.
Awesome Place To Work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 March 2017
Awesome Place To Work & I Hope To Work There Again Soon

All The Staff Where I Worked Were Awesome & Easy To Get Along With

Typical Work Day For Me Was Sometimes 8am-6pm

Management Was Awesome

Hardest Part Of My Job Would Have Been Trying To Make Sales When I have Very Little Sale Experience

The Most Enjoyable Part Of My Job Was Meeting New People Everyday & Getting To Know Them On A Personal Level
Pros
Availability To Unlimited Learning
Cons
Not All Clubs Are 24/7

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.