GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Job for those who excel in sales
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: No work life balance
GoodLife Fitness Advisor is a great job for those who excel in sales and pushing a sale. As a health professional however I found that there was too much misinformation about what is healthy. I also found that there was more emphasis put on selling the member and not retaining them or living by the Core Values set out by the owner.
Productive and fun place to work at
Volunteer (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 27, 2015
Pros: Very nice staff
Cons: Not a lot of help around
work would be fun
learned how to mange my time and various people skills
co-workers were very nice and kind
hardest part about my job was the cleaning aspect
most enjoyable part was the people who worked there
Good company, with strong values
General Manager (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 22, 2015
GoodLife was a very structured and enjoyable place to work. The company is great for developing the skills you need not only for GoodLife, but for many more career opportunities.
fun
Fitness Motivator (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 9, 2015
Pros: you are your own boss kinda
Cons: hours feel longer
It was fun working there because the atmosphere in the workplace was good to be around and I enjoyed working with clients.
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 9, 2015
Pros: Work with great people
Cons: N/A
A work day is fun and learn how to deal with different clients, management is great lots of support. The co workers are great people to work with. the hard part is the closeing the deal with some clients and the enjoyable part is help some one change the life.
Janitor (Former Employee), Markville MallApril 4, 2015
Pros: Got to know many people
Cons: Hard labour and must be completely it a certain time
When I was working as a janitor for GoodLife Fitness, I was taught to clean the entire gym. I learned how to use the cleaning materials there. I learned to coordinate with my co-workers to be as efficient as possible. I also communicated with the customers there as well, and develop on-going relationships with them.
Positive work environment and constantly able to advance within the company
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONMarch 31, 2015
- Friendly staff to work with on a day to day basis
- Everyone is very dedicated to their work and always willing to educate themselves to benefit their clients
- The hardest part of the job would be the split shifts and 12 hour days
- The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing success in your clients and watching them go through a life changing experience
fun, great atmosphere
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee), 2300 yonge streetMarch 26, 2015
Pros: get to workout for free and before my lunch
Cons: terrible assistant manager
a typical day at work involved talking to potential members and aiding them in getting started with their fitness goals, and at the same time developing leads and following up on leads inside and outside the club. I've learned how to effectively manage my time, the job required me to make my own schedule and make my own appointments which was very new to me. the general manager was great probably the best i've known, the assistant manager however is the worst i've known. I had a bad feeling about this manager from the start, they lacked professionalism and manners and i found out they were giving sales to a specific advisor because they were friends, which made my job harder because i had to try and match their sales. However i do enjoy the job because i love interacting with new people every day.
Is good to build personal life muscle and character
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 24, 2015
lots of hours, low pay. But great culture and work environment. Room for advancements. But again there lots of hour and income might not be guarantee every months
My goals
Motivator/JUMP (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 20, 2015
Pros: free memberships
Cons: not enough hours
I enjoy the team that I work with as well as working individually. I have fun but I perform to the best of my ability, going out of my way to make a customer happy is what makes me happy, knowing I did my best.
Great place to settle for longterm career.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), edmontonMarch 19, 2015
A workplace driven by knowledge everyone in this place strives to learn more and display the best of their abilities. Each employee is given equal opportunity to move up both their status and financially.
Energetic and diverse environment to work in.
Club Administrator (Current Employee), North York, ONMarch 17, 2015
The atmosphere is a great place to be in. It is very fast paced, but everyone always has a positive and peak attitude. It is great to be surrounded by people - both members and staff - who have the same goals and interests. It makes the place feel more unified.
Great people, and environment
Personal Training Specialist (Former Employee), North York, TorontoMarch 16, 2015
Fun environment, great colleagues. The most difficult part of the job was making sales to clients. It was always enjoyable to see when clients were pleased with results.
great atmosphere
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free membership
Cons: hours
trained clients, had to meet sales objectives, hours aren't the greatest being a personal trainer. Great staff, just not a fan of how hard they push for sales rather than focusing on client goals
amazing structured company
FITNESS ADVISOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2015
Pros: worked in fitness
Cons: worked ots of hours
worked 6 days a week 10-8 managment was structered was able to work and also work out and help people become more healthy coworkers were very helpful and positive enviroment
High Pressure
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: hourly wage
Cons: long hours
GoodLife was not a great company to work for, there was a lot of pressure and the people were not that nice. Management didn't listen to any complaints.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free membership, salary and benefits.
Cons: long hours, poor, lazy & shady management.
I worked for GoodLife for 3 years as a fitness Advisor. The job is basically a glorified telemarketer. Overall the job was great and i learned a great deal. I was lucky enough to work in a busy location and we got a lot of walk in traffic. This took a lot of pressure off having to leave the club to find your own business. Although they provide you with a lot of tools to get the job done the training is a little shady. You have to find what your comfortable with and find a way to make it work. If you have a good manager they will train you everyday at the 3pm meetings "sharpen the saw", in my case this rarely happened. My manager was either out of the club, working out or dealing with personal issues during these times. When the district manager did their monthly meetings we would basically put on a show for them.

If you work in a location that is not so busy be prepared to do a lot of extra work and long hours and not be paid for overtime.

Room for advancement- if you apply for the assistant manager position i would strongly advise against it. The entire club is on your shoulders, the pay for the amount of work output sucks, and you will get very little support from the General Manger. The "numbers" that are reflected come from the hard work of the FA's and the AGM. If you hit your targets your GM will take all the credit for it and do very little work. The GM receives bonuses by cutting corners and piggy backing off of the hard work of the rest of the staff.Leading by example is not something they do and if they can throw you under the bus to make themselves look better they – more... will take advantage of that.

The company makes money off of the personal training packages not so much the memberships. The personal trainers are paid by commission only and have to work very very long hours. Make sure that you ask to see there certification as some of them that have worked there for over 6 months have no certification. As a personal Trainer you are more of a glorified Sales person.

The company is motivated by profit only. GoodLife will try and hide behind the "caring for the members" speech that you will hear frequently. This is just not the case. They care about profit only. For members that try and cancel their membership they are made to make an appointment so that they can be resold to. They make it very difficult for the member and really lack in customer care that way. The way they care is by directly booking them with personal trainers, some who are not certified, so they can sell big packages by using fear as a motivation. Once the member signs a contract for Personal Training they make it almost impossible to get out of it unless you move away-in B.C only. DON"T DRINK THE KOOL AID. They promote a party culture, this was taken to the extreme with the illegal drug use that was going on at both locations i worked at, namely management, so be careful of that. – less
Good
Customer Service (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: quotas
It is fun since one meets different people everyday. It is pretty routine which is good. It has never been boring. The company definitely offers advancements in position.
exciting and long
Volunteer (Former Employee), Ajax OntarioFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: gained experience
Cons: curently not working
Great experience

Staff and Customers were well mannered and polite. I gained a lot of first hand experience of working in a fitness field like Good Life Fitness .
Terrible Kool-Aid Culture
General Manager (Former Employee), Milton, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free gym membership for you and family member (not worth it)
Cons: over promise/under deliver, promise large on-target earnings that are not typically earned by current associates
DON'T DRINK the Kool-Aid!!

After 5-years and 3 different roles I have seen the inside and outside of that organization.

The care about profit like any company should -- however they disguise it by saying all the care about is helping members reach their goals-- this is not the case. They care about that only if you hit your goals.

On target payouts are not given until you reach 100% of your monthly target & profitability is the only thing celebrated.

They do not care about their associates work, or work-life balance.

Don't do it!

1 2 3 4 5

About GoodLife Fitness Clubs

Goodlife Fitness is the largest health club company in Canada with over 275 clubs. The company is 100% Canadian, and was founded – Read more