GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive healthy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 15, 2016
I always looked forward to my work day because the energizing environment I was fortunate to work in. Members and staff are/were friendly, positive and made your day a positive one. Management supported you and encouraged personal health development. Working for GoodLife Fitness encouraged me to take the path I am on in my Nutrition studies journey. The ground work for my studies was laid by seeing how nutrition, health, fitness and personal mental development all go hand in hand. I am on an amazing journey of discovery.
Pros
Free membership
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ONAugust 3, 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income
It's a postive, fun, productive work environment
MEMBER CARE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  McCaul/QueenJuly 2, 2016
it's great starting with the morning meetings getting pumped up and focused on the goal throughout the day. There is always something to do, I was always busy and talking with members it's about meeting peoples needs and doing it while having fun and making good money so I can be with family or friends and meet new ones as well. I would love to be employed by the again and stay and build a career.
Pros
you work extra hours
Cons
you work extra hours
high targets and high turnover rates for FA
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 19, 2016
the pay and benefits are not in line with the amount of work you do. not a supportive of constructive work experience. daily tasks are high in number. 30 leads min a day, 6-8 booked appointments per day and must have a 50% closing sale ratio. must do a lot of outreach, cold calling, door to door. basically whatever it takes to get the numbers into the club. cult like atmosphere.
Pros
pay full time
Cons
long hours and high targets, stressful
Fun workplace, but can't be a long term.
PART TIME OVERNIGHT MOTIVATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 13, 2016
Typical day at work; greeting the guest, make them feel awesome every time they come in the club.
Opportunities to meet lots of people with different profile.
Some are very HOT and healthy, and some are not but with the willingness to reach their target goals. and we, as motivator, our job is to keep them motivated whenever we see them coming in the gym.
Pros
free gym membership, towel service. you work on your own.
Cons
sometimes it's boring! lol
Fun and social workplace with good benefits, however numerous members of staff including multiple managers were very unprofessional and innapropriate
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
It was a very enjoyable place to work, it had flexible hours and many options for advancement. Most of the staff was a very tight knit group who worked well together and got along in social settings. I learned socialization on a new level due to constantly interacting with members. However I found management very unprofessional and it was hard to deal with that on a daily basis.
Laid back work environment
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 26, 2016
I was lucky enough to have some amazing managers who trusted me to do my job. Not having someone breathe down your neck made committing to your expectations a lot easier. As a result, I was able to become a top performer. Typical day consists of you dealing with member inquiries, answering sales questions, making sales and generating leads for your business.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
interactive place & helps sustain healthy life
FITNESS ADVISOR/SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
-meetings in the morning
-called up appointments or referrals to setup appointments
-when for out reach to different establishments in the area
-dealt with any appointments i setup on the previous day
-if i had time left over i would mingle with members to see if families or friends needed a push towards a healthier lifestyle
Pros
longer lunchs
Cons
lunches were too long
Great Culture
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 9, 2016
I've learned that not only can you live a good life by the sides of your family and friends, but you can live an even better life when you're healthy and active.

My average day is going through approval processes of fitness and personal training memberships, processing payments, club inventory orders, payroll, submission of broken machines to repairmen and staying active!

GoodLife Fitness supports all fitness goals, and enables us to stay active by generously giving a free membership to associate and one family member! The culture is amazing and ever growing. Never have I been so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
Culture, free gym membership, free classes, amazing team
Cons
long hours, lots of paperwork
Fun and friendly workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 28, 2016
Although it was just for coop I had a great experience and enjoyed the work environment and how the club is run. I learned how to provide excellent customer service as well as talking to the members. The management was wonderful and my co workers were great as well.
Pros
long breaks and fun environment
Cons
None I wish I had a full time training position here
Rewarding as far as helping others, terrible management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 2, 2016
There is no room to move forward in this company and you can find yourself kept in the dark the majority of the time. My direct supervisors and managers as well as the other associates I would work with day to day were fantastic and the overall moral was fantastic. But if help was required from home office, or people wanted to advance or even saw a potentially better way of accomplishing a goal they are put down, ignored, and many times unanswered. Anything, that i experienced anyway, above the local club level was extremely unprofessional. I would not work for this company again even though it was the most rewarding job experience I have had.
Pros
Help People reach goals
Cons
Poor Management
Co-Workers are friendly, but not the boss.
Child Minding (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
If my boss wasn't constantly checking on me, making sarcastic remarks and sending me text messages on every small piece of dust in the child minding room i missed, maybe I would have enjoyed my time more there. I worked 13 days straight once mostly worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week. Defiantly not worth the minimum wage with the stress I was put in.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Stressful.
Workplace environment
Motivational Speaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at GoodLife allowed me to adapt into a multiple work base environment. I would be responsible to work with customer service relations, paper work, personal health and fitness, on hands sales, social and communications, telemarketing and collaborated group work environment. I also happened to learn how to work under pressure with on the job emergencies that enabled me to use my day to day social and communications skills as well as my critical and analytical skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
short shifts, low pay
was a midnight job at a gym.. i worked out and watched tv
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJune 22, 2016
Was a very easy job, clean the gym from top to bottom, learned how to do 8 hours of easy cleaning into 2 hours of intense cleaning(speed wise) and was still thorough with it.

then i got to spend 5-6 hours working out, talking to the few members that were there. watching tv
Fun and positive work environment
Fitness Motivator (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 10, 2016
Great place to work. Work as a motivator at the front desk. I greet and talk to members as the enter the gym. Light cleaning duties are part of the position, booking tanning appointments, answering the phone and occasional instruction of proper equipment usage. Positive energy in the club.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
No hours. Limited advancement options in position.
I love the Company Culture and Vision
Manager Development Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
I had the pleasure of working for GoodLIfe Fitness for 10 year. It wasn't always easy, but was a great experience.

The company was growing so if you worked hard you would be rewarded. The training I received as a Manager and various other roles was amazing. I learned a lot about how to run a business, leadership, and mentoring others.

The most challenging parts were for many of the employees this was a first job or something they thought would be fun/easy. It is a business just like any other so it can be fun, but you have to put in effort, time, and a positive attitude to be successful.

A big part of working for GoodLife is the culture, which I loved. It was great working with other people to help the members achieve their goals. It was also rewarding to see your team members grow and achieve their personal goal.
No work life balance.
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2016
Good job if your single. But if you have a family you'll never see them. No compensation for being there all day. Management is poor and most don't workout of even look like they workout. Turnover is really high.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
no sick days, no vacation, long hours, no compensation
Fun and innovative
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Fast pace environment with incredibly motivated people and filled with good vibes.

Energetic atmosphere

Management was awful
Felt disrespected and guilt tripped

Not the best coworkers
Pros
Ate lunch whenever
Cons
didn't feel safe and relaxed in this environment sometimes
Great workplace with Knowledgable people
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJuly 28, 2016
Busy work days tailored to my schedule. Work with fantastic and knowledgable trainers who are always willing to help in a great team atmosphere. Working with clients one on one and seeing their results is the most satisfying part of my job.
Customers Rock /Management in need of a Manager
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Tecumseh MallMarch 21, 2016
I absolutely loved interacting and motivating clients along their journey towards achieving a more active healthy lifestyle. Watching clients transformations as the set goals and reached each mileston. It was truly an honour to encourage them to keep on keeping on motivating them to stay focused and motivated when they may not necessarily be seeing physical results or have reached a plateau. Revisiting or revising activity and exercise plans as their needs and fitness goals change or are meet exceeded or no longer meet their visions for living and achieving their best possible selves and lives.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility and opportunity to pick up additional shifts.
Cons
Management high overturn due to young and inexperienced management team.

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location