GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
Fitness Advisor
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
This job is a very hard job, is fun for a bit but it is not for people who want a life or sleep, the management is very bi-polar in what they want so be prepared to always be on your toes, The company itself is great great ideas, just very hard job to do and there is literally no slack given in this fact, there is lots of positives and negatives though, just know what youre getting yourself into.
Pros
free membership, benefits
Cons
long hours no life
Great environment, Bad management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 September 2016
The environment is great, I loved being at the gym all day everyday and working with individual clients. Working with a bunch of young aspire trainers was great also and developed some good relationships. On the other hand, this company has way too much priority on sales, I didn't want to become a trainer so I could worry about selling all day everyday. The management puts so much pressure on all of its trainers to sell sell sell, if you do sell you get praised for about a day then the following day you're expected to sell more sessions and if not you're back to getting yelled at for not making the company money. At the end of it, they're was much more pressure to sell than there actually was training clients. If you want to do sales everyday all day then this is the job for you but for me I'd rather be training clients than continually harassing members on getting started with training.

In summary, a great atmosphere and most people are good. Could probably complain about the way they go about things all day but I won't, too much pressure on sales management doesn't care about you personally only about if you're making sales. Feels like you have to be a robot working for an evil corporation.

Better options out there for trainers.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Management, not caring for you, more sales than training.
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON3 August 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income
high targets and high turnover rates for FA
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2016
the pay and benefits are not in line with the amount of work you do. not a supportive of constructive work experience. daily tasks are high in number. 30 leads min a day, 6-8 booked appointments per day and must have a 50% closing sale ratio. must do a lot of outreach, cold calling, door to door. basically whatever it takes to get the numbers into the club. cult like atmosphere.
Pros
pay full time
Cons
long hours and high targets, stressful
No work life balance.
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2016
Good job if your single. But if you have a family you'll never see them. No compensation for being there all day. Management is poor and most don't workout of even look like they workout. Turnover is really high.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
no sick days, no vacation, long hours, no compensation
Great Place to Work
Fitness Advisor (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON1 November 2016
- Challenging work environment: push to sell quota of memberships
- Benefits include using any GoodLife across Canada
- Co-workers are supportive and inclusive
An okay place to work.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
A typical day consists of engaging clients towards the achievement of their fitness goals, providing structured workout programs and lifestyle tips for all fitness levels, and recruiting new members and personal training clients.

The company encourages employees to adapt to different clients needs, become incredibly personable, and to manage time and clients effectively.

GoodLife tends to micro manage their employees which I saw as a down side. While they emphasize personal, respectful and compassionate relationships between employees, employers, and members, I found the job to be in reality much more corporate, impersonal, and completely inflexible.

Generating new leads in an environment where clients and members are consistently called on and approached was one of the biggest obstacles at GoodLife,

However, the satisfaction of seeing someone accomplish something they once thought to be impossible was enjoyable. Educating others about the importance of physical activity, proper nutrition and the benefits of lifestyle changes was what I thought to be the most rewarding aspect of the job.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Incredibly long hours with no compensation nor the opportunity for flexibility.
Expected to work past your shift doing paperwork with no overtime paid out.
Fitness advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Didn't agree with the fact that they expect you to stay late everyday filling out a page of math/data entry which management should be doing. Essentially this consists of inputting your sales goals/targets and what you actually met, then doing math to get the percentage of different numbers so they could track you. I found this something the manager should be doing. At the same time, the day was spent having many useless meetings, when in fact we could be taking customers and making money. This job may be for some, but was not something I agreed with.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, no overtime paid out, unfair/unequal sales system
Enjoyable work place
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 July 2016
It requires hard work to be successful, but you will achieve success if you do what it takes! Compensation is more than fair, and the atmosphere/culture is amazing.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Long days
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
Changing peoples lives
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON26 September 2016
Great company to work for but unless you go into sales there is no advancement.
It can be a very fun place to work; the members are the best part.
I usually work the front desk for a few hours greeting members, scanning them in and preparing any paperwork to make any changes/payments to their account.
Later, I take all of the paperwork and cash to the back and go through the paperwork making sure that everything is correct on the paper and in the computer. If there is a problem I call the member to explain what is needed and make sure they understand what and why we need the information. I make sure that the cash balances and prepare the bank deposit as needed. Also responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
As a hole, I love my job however, there is no room for advancement unless I go into sales which is quite high stress with daily goals.
I would continue doing this job forever however, I am looking for more challenges.
Enjoy my job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Country Hills Village, AB11 May 2016
Do in joy my job , I have learned so much and how far I have come to apply my skill why skills to the next job I may go into. You really don't get good benefits or salary.
Good Company
Trainer for private and group classes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2016
GoodLife was a good company to work except for the management. The regional manager wasn't very helpful and only cared about number. If we hit our numbers we were great, if we didn't hit the quotas we were the worst employees in the world.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Educational and fun workplace
Motivator (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2016
Working at GoodLife has so many benefits if you are into learning about healthy living and lifestyles. The pay is a bit of an issue, along with promised hours, but overall you are the to motivate and getting yourself inspired.
Great Culture
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON9 May 2016
I've learned that not only can you live a good life by the sides of your family and friends, but you can live an even better life when you're healthy and active.

My average day is going through approval processes of fitness and personal training memberships, processing payments, club inventory orders, payroll, submission of broken machines to repairmen and staying active!

GoodLife Fitness supports all fitness goals, and enables us to stay active by generously giving a free membership to associate and one family member! The culture is amazing and ever growing. Never have I been so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
Culture, free gym membership, free classes, amazing team
Cons
long hours, lots of paperwork
Fun and social workplace with good benefits, however numerous members of staff including multiple managers were very unprofessional and innapropriate
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2016
It was a very enjoyable place to work, it had flexible hours and many options for advancement. Most of the staff was a very tight knit group who worked well together and got along in social settings. I learned socialization on a new level due to constantly interacting with members. However I found management very unprofessional and it was hard to deal with that on a daily basis.
Fun place to work
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
I learned how build my own business, pursue my own personal goals, and grow my love for the fitness industry. Management was great and always there for me every step of the way
Pros
Great team
Cons
NOT about fitness. ALL about sales.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 October 2016
After 26 years as a PT and specializing in three distinct fields, the oil crash in Calgary forced me to move to Medicine Hat, so I applied to GoodLife. Within a minute I had 3 red flags come up. If I wanted to work there I now had to pay for a new course from them and pay it back within 3 months. RED FLAG ONE.
Then I would have to work almost 14 hrs a day to make what I made in Calgary and get 10% of what I brought in. This was almost RED FLAG 2 and 3.
Then the door slam one. Because I specialize in a very rare field (especially in Med Hat), I was told to my shock I would have to sign a form to NEVER train clients outside their facility. I teach certain things outside...OUTSIDE!. She told me I would have to stop doing that. The job interview was now over.
Pros
ARE NONE.
Cons
EVERYONE. No customer service...just sales

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location