GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Company
Trainer for private and group classes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2016
GoodLife was a good company to work except for the management. The regional manager wasn't very helpful and only cared about number. If we hit our numbers we were great, if we didn't hit the quotas we were the worst employees in the world.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Educational and fun workplace
Motivator (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Working at GoodLife has so many benefits if you are into learning about healthy living and lifestyles. The pay is a bit of an issue, along with promised hours, but overall you are the to motivate and getting yourself inspired.
Great place to work if you are a fitness enthusiast
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Can make as much money you want, salary is $11 an hour and rest is all commission, depends on which location you are working , if its busy one lots of money can be made
loved the work environment.
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
If you are a health freak,this place is best for you.
You get to change your life along with the lives of others.least stress,alot of fun and good benefits.
Customers Rock /Management in need of a Manager
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Tecumseh MallMarch 21, 2016
I absolutely loved interacting and motivating clients along their journey towards achieving a more active healthy lifestyle. Watching clients transformations as the set goals and reached each mileston. It was truly an honour to encourage them to keep on keeping on motivating them to stay focused and motivated when they may not necessarily be seeing physical results or have reached a plateau. Revisiting or revising activity and exercise plans as their needs and fitness goals change or are meet exceeded or no longer meet their visions for living and achieving their best possible selves and lives.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility and opportunity to pick up additional shifts.
Cons
Management high overturn due to young and inexperienced management team.
This job was the most positive, healthy and motivating environment.
Gym Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife, There was a lot of benifits such as having a free membership and being able to work out, and also gaining knowledge on how to train myself from trained and professional personal trainers.
Pros
I loved how healthy it made me.
Cons
I didn't necessarily like cleaning up the dirty towels so much but hey!
Fun busy workplace
Part-time Motivator and Team Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
A wonderful experience working with this organisation. If you have an interest in fitness and like to see people improve themselves then this is the best place to work. The positive attitude and forward minded culture is great to be immersed in. You are encouraged to better yourself by continuous assessment and communication with management, this, I feel is a very clever way of making each associate see how they impact the clients experience and can better themselves too. A good team spirit is crucial to the success of all organisations. David Patchell-Evans has this mastered.
Fun work with high ethics and development
General Manager, Canyon Meadows location (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2015
During my time in my current position of general manager at GoodLife, I have successfully managed the club and a big team by making sure all the policies are being followed , focusing on health and safety of members and staff.\ and delivering a great customer service experience.

My day is very structured starts with lots of meetings in the morning then have an action plan for the day and make sure all the expectation are being met.
Pros
good culture, great support, fun enviroment, healthy and fit people, benefits
Cons
long hours, repetitive work
I love the Company Culture and Vision
Manager Development Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
I had the pleasure of working for GoodLIfe Fitness for 10 year. It wasn't always easy, but was a great experience.

The company was growing so if you worked hard you would be rewarded. The training I received as a Manager and various other roles was amazing. I learned a lot about how to run a business, leadership, and mentoring others.

The most challenging parts were for many of the employees this was a first job or something they thought would be fun/easy. It is a business just like any other so it can be fun, but you have to put in effort, time, and a positive attitude to be successful.

A big part of working for GoodLife is the culture, which I loved. It was great working with other people to help the members achieve their goals. It was also rewarding to see your team members grow and achieve their personal goal.
Energetic workplace, terrible work-life balance, no room to grow.
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 16, 2015
An average day as a personal trainer at GoodLife fitness included meeting new gym members to get them started on training, walking the floors to make sure the gym was tidy, and meeting current clients to train them.
Motivating people towards their goals felt great, but the work-life balance was very hard with the rate of pay.
Pros
Met tons of new people, felt energized at work, best shape of my life.
Cons
long hours, unprofessional management, rate of pay nil for first few weeks of working for them (until you build a client list)
Rewarding as far as helping others, terrible management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 2, 2016
There is no room to move forward in this company and you can find yourself kept in the dark the majority of the time. My direct supervisors and managers as well as the other associates I would work with day to day were fantastic and the overall moral was fantastic. But if help was required from home office, or people wanted to advance or even saw a potentially better way of accomplishing a goal they are put down, ignored, and many times unanswered. Anything, that i experienced anyway, above the local club level was extremely unprofessional. I would not work for this company again even though it was the most rewarding job experience I have had.
Pros
Help People reach goals
Cons
Poor Management
Great Culture
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 9, 2016
I've learned that not only can you live a good life by the sides of your family and friends, but you can live an even better life when you're healthy and active.

My average day is going through approval processes of fitness and personal training memberships, processing payments, club inventory orders, payroll, submission of broken machines to repairmen and staying active!

GoodLife Fitness supports all fitness goals, and enables us to stay active by generously giving a free membership to associate and one family member! The culture is amazing and ever growing. Never have I been so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
Culture, free gym membership, free classes, amazing team
Cons
long hours, lots of paperwork
Good Entry Level
Motivator and Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 14, 2016
I've met a lot of great people working here. The networking opportunities are unreal and the people I've worked with have been great - except for a handful of bad apples.

However, I'm on my feet all day and I also do a lot of running around (ie, lifting weights off the ground, laundry service for towels, washroom checks, hourly club runs, etc.)

It's great for students as management is very accommodating of school schedules.
Pros
Free membership for yourself, discount memberships for friends and family, networking opportunities
Cons
Standing for long periods of time, management varies from club to club
Job relies on ability to promote yourself
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Expect to spend at least 20 hours a week at the beginning 'prospecting' or directly promoting yourself to the public.

You will not be paid for these hours, they will instead advance you minimum wage/hour out of your eventual commission.

Expect to not have any sort of personal life for the first three months (or you will very likely be quitting).
Pros
Get to set your own schedule
Cons
Long Hours or split shifts are frequently needed.
Good staff and a fun environment
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJanuary 29, 2016
*help customers
*sort/ file paperwork
*sell memberships
*deal with fiancées
*great management
*help customers with gym equipment and usuage.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
long hours on feet
Workplace environment
Motivational Speaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at GoodLife allowed me to adapt into a multiple work base environment. I would be responsible to work with customer service relations, paper work, personal health and fitness, on hands sales, social and communications, telemarketing and collaborated group work environment. I also happened to learn how to work under pressure with on the job emergencies that enabled me to use my day to day social and communications skills as well as my critical and analytical skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
short shifts, low pay
GoodLife is a great place to work!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2016
Very well structured company that compensates well. Sales oriented so you may spend several hours a week there which is why Work/Life balance is low for me.
Fun and exciting place to work
Membership Consultant/Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 13, 2016
very motivating to do better and work hard to achieve your goals
Working as a motivator was the best part of working there you really just get to enjoy the company, the gym and the people.
Pros
free membership, and great classes
Cons
if in sale your life belongs to them
Long Hours, Mediocre pay, Expensive benifits, Great opportunity for Learning,
Sales Manager/ Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2015
I met great people while working there. I learned a great deal and experience a great deal of success...but it was not easy!!!

I works incredibly hard and worked long hours. The job forced me out of my comfort zone and challenged my inhibitions.

The part I loved best was helping people. They would come feeling nervous or sad or frustrated. They wouldn't know where to start and I would show them and educate them and give them tools and options and sometimes (not always) it changed a person's life. And I was able to watch the change. That felt good.

Policies and procedures changed often making things a bit confusing at times.

Low rate in pay for frontline associates translated to low level of commitment to GL's so called " World Class Customer Service" and made employee attrition terrible.
Pros
The potential positive impact you can make in people's lives is awesome
Cons
frontline workers are under paid - turn over was crazy.
personal training at goodlife
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONNovember 9, 2015
Manager was not nice, long hours with very low pay. expect you to be a machine. go go go with no stopping. Manager interrogated me everyday
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours no pay