GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Company
Trainer for private and group classes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2016
GoodLife was a good company to work except for the management. The regional manager wasn't very helpful and only cared about number. If we hit our numbers we were great, if we didn't hit the quotas we were the worst employees in the world.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Educational and fun workplace
Motivator (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Working at GoodLife has so many benefits if you are into learning about healthy living and lifestyles. The pay is a bit of an issue, along with promised hours, but overall you are the to motivate and getting yourself inspired.
Great place to work if you are a fitness enthusiast
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Can make as much money you want, salary is $11 an hour and rest is all commission, depends on which location you are working , if its busy one lots of money can be made
loved the work environment.
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
If you are a health freak,this place is best for you.
You get to change your life along with the lives of others.least stress,alot of fun and good benefits.
Customers Rock /Management in need of a Manager
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario Tecumseh MallMarch 21, 2016
I absolutely loved interacting and motivating clients along their journey towards achieving a more active healthy lifestyle. Watching clients transformations as the set goals and reached each mileston. It was truly an honour to encourage them to keep on keeping on motivating them to stay focused and motivated when they may not necessarily be seeing physical results or have reached a plateau. Revisiting or revising activity and exercise plans as their needs and fitness goals change or are meet exceeded or no longer meet their visions for living and achieving their best possible selves and lives.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility and opportunity to pick up additional shifts.
Cons
Management high overturn due to young and inexperienced management team.
Fun busy workplace
Part-time Motivator and Team Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
A wonderful experience working with this organisation. If you have an interest in fitness and like to see people improve themselves then this is the best place to work. The positive attitude and forward minded culture is great to be immersed in. You are encouraged to better yourself by continuous assessment and communication with management, this, I feel is a very clever way of making each associate see how they impact the clients experience and can better themselves too. A good team spirit is crucial to the success of all organisations. David Patchell-Evans has this mastered.
Great Culture
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 9, 2016
I've learned that not only can you live a good life by the sides of your family and friends, but you can live an even better life when you're healthy and active.

My average day is going through approval processes of fitness and personal training memberships, processing payments, club inventory orders, payroll, submission of broken machines to repairmen and staying active!

GoodLife Fitness supports all fitness goals, and enables us to stay active by generously giving a free membership to associate and one family member! The culture is amazing and ever growing. Never have I been so lucky to work for such a great company.
Pros
Culture, free gym membership, free classes, amazing team
Cons
long hours, lots of paperwork
Rewarding as far as helping others, terrible management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 2, 2016
There is no room to move forward in this company and you can find yourself kept in the dark the majority of the time. My direct supervisors and managers as well as the other associates I would work with day to day were fantastic and the overall moral was fantastic. But if help was required from home office, or people wanted to advance or even saw a potentially better way of accomplishing a goal they are put down, ignored, and many times unanswered. Anything, that i experienced anyway, above the local club level was extremely unprofessional. I would not work for this company again even though it was the most rewarding job experience I have had.
Pros
Help People reach goals
Cons
Poor Management
I love the Company Culture and Vision
Manager Development Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
I had the pleasure of working for GoodLIfe Fitness for 10 year. It wasn't always easy, but was a great experience.

The company was growing so if you worked hard you would be rewarded. The training I received as a Manager and various other roles was amazing. I learned a lot about how to run a business, leadership, and mentoring others.

The most challenging parts were for many of the employees this was a first job or something they thought would be fun/easy. It is a business just like any other so it can be fun, but you have to put in effort, time, and a positive attitude to be successful.

A big part of working for GoodLife is the culture, which I loved. It was great working with other people to help the members achieve their goals. It was also rewarding to see your team members grow and achieve their personal goal.
This job was the most positive, healthy and motivating environment.
Gym Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife, There was a lot of benifits such as having a free membership and being able to work out, and also gaining knowledge on how to train myself from trained and professional personal trainers.
Pros
I loved how healthy it made me.
Cons
I didn't necessarily like cleaning up the dirty towels so much but hey!
Fun work with high ethics and development
General Manager, Canyon Meadows location (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2015
During my time in my current position of general manager at GoodLife, I have successfully managed the club and a big team by making sure all the policies are being followed , focusing on health and safety of members and staff.\ and delivering a great customer service experience.

My day is very structured starts with lots of meetings in the morning then have an action plan for the day and make sure all the expectation are being met.
Pros
good culture, great support, fun enviroment, healthy and fit people, benefits
Cons
long hours, repetitive work
Do not do it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 20, 2016
This job was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.
As a sales representative, the expectations are absolutely absurd. You have a morning meeting with your fellow sales consultants ( between 1-5 reps) you basically have to show in this book your given how many appointments you have, and have to " commit" to your manager how many sales you will get and how many personal training packages you will sell. If your thinking " I been in sales a long time this doesn't sound hard" trust me! I have been in sales for a really long time and always succeed ...except here. It's
Kinda hard when the " walk in people wanting to sign up" are only given to the manager or assistant. You have to commit to 3-5 hours of going out in the public and harassing people for their names and phone numbers where later you call harass them to book an appointment to come in. The hourly pay sucks. The commission sucks. You even have to pay for your own uniform and they hold
Pay for 4 weeks so good luck not having anything for a month. Don't do it!!!!
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Pay, hours, management, paying for your own uniform, the people who work there are fake, the traning
Fun and social workplace with good benefits, however numerous members of staff including multiple managers were very unprofessional and innapropriate
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
It was a very enjoyable place to work, it had flexible hours and many options for advancement. Most of the staff was a very tight knit group who worked well together and got along in social settings. I learned socialization on a new level due to constantly interacting with members. However I found management very unprofessional and it was hard to deal with that on a daily basis.
Good Entry Level
Motivator and Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 14, 2016
I've met a lot of great people working here. The networking opportunities are unreal and the people I've worked with have been great - except for a handful of bad apples.

However, I'm on my feet all day and I also do a lot of running around (ie, lifting weights off the ground, laundry service for towels, washroom checks, hourly club runs, etc.)

It's great for students as management is very accommodating of school schedules.
Pros
Free membership for yourself, discount memberships for friends and family, networking opportunities
Cons
Standing for long periods of time, management varies from club to club
It's a postive, fun, productive work environment
MEMBER CARE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  McCaul/QueenJuly 2, 2016
it's great starting with the morning meetings getting pumped up and focused on the goal throughout the day. There is always something to do, I was always busy and talking with members it's about meeting peoples needs and doing it while having fun and making good money so I can be with family or friends and meet new ones as well. I would love to be employed by the again and stay and build a career.
Pros
you work extra hours
Cons
you work extra hours
Workplace environment
Motivational Speaker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
Working at GoodLife allowed me to adapt into a multiple work base environment. I would be responsible to work with customer service relations, paper work, personal health and fitness, on hands sales, social and communications, telemarketing and collaborated group work environment. I also happened to learn how to work under pressure with on the job emergencies that enabled me to use my day to day social and communications skills as well as my critical and analytical skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
short shifts, low pay
Fun workplace, but can't be a long term.
PART TIME OVERNIGHT MOTIVATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 13, 2016
Typical day at work; greeting the guest, make them feel awesome every time they come in the club.
Opportunities to meet lots of people with different profile.
Some are very HOT and healthy, and some are not but with the willingness to reach their target goals. and we, as motivator, our job is to keep them motivated whenever we see them coming in the gym.
Pros
free gym membership, towel service. you work on your own.
Cons
sometimes it's boring! lol
Energetic workplace, terrible work-life balance, no room to grow.
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 16, 2015
An average day as a personal trainer at GoodLife fitness included meeting new gym members to get them started on training, walking the floors to make sure the gym was tidy, and meeting current clients to train them.
Motivating people towards their goals felt great, but the work-life balance was very hard with the rate of pay.
Pros
Met tons of new people, felt energized at work, best shape of my life.
Cons
long hours, unprofessional management, rate of pay nil for first few weeks of working for them (until you build a client list)
high targets and high turnover rates for FA
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 19, 2016
the pay and benefits are not in line with the amount of work you do. not a supportive of constructive work experience. daily tasks are high in number. 30 leads min a day, 6-8 booked appointments per day and must have a 50% closing sale ratio. must do a lot of outreach, cold calling, door to door. basically whatever it takes to get the numbers into the club. cult like atmosphere.
Pros
pay full time
Cons
long hours and high targets, stressful
Good staff and a fun environment
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJanuary 29, 2016
*help customers
*sort/ file paperwork
*sell memberships
*deal with fiancées
*great management
*help customers with gym equipment and usuage.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
long hours on feet

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location