GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Expected to work past your shift doing paperwork with no overtime paid out.
Fitness advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Didn't agree with the fact that they expect you to stay late everyday filling out a page of math/data entry which management should be doing. Essentially this consists of inputting your sales goals/targets and what you actually met, then doing math to get the percentage of different numbers so they could track you. I found this something the manager should be doing. At the same time, the day was spent having many useless meetings, when in fact we could be taking customers and making money. This job may be for some, but was not something I agreed with.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, no overtime paid out, unfair/unequal sales system
fun place to work with home life balance
Motivator / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2016
working at Goodlife has really shown me my potential as a caring and motivating person. im encouraged daily by both staff and members to be the best i can be. i've learned a lot about myself and my worth. the hardest part of the job is knowing you cant help everybody but i enjoy maintaining a professional relationship with the members and encourage them to the best of my ability
Pros
free membership
Cons
not enough hours
Fitness Advisor
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
This job is a very hard job, is fun for a bit but it is not for people who want a life or sleep, the management is very bi-polar in what they want so be prepared to always be on your toes, The company itself is great great ideas, just very hard job to do and there is literally no slack given in this fact, there is lots of positives and negatives though, just know what youre getting yourself into.
Pros
free membership, benefits
Cons
long hours no life
Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
NOT about fitness. ALL about sales.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 October 2016
After 26 years as a PT and specializing in three distinct fields, the oil crash in Calgary forced me to move to Medicine Hat, so I applied to GoodLife. Within a minute I had 3 red flags come up. If I wanted to work there I now had to pay for a new course from them and pay it back within 3 months. RED FLAG ONE.
Then I would have to work almost 14 hrs a day to make what I made in Calgary and get 10% of what I brought in. This was almost RED FLAG 2 and 3.
Then the door slam one. Because I specialize in a very rare field (especially in Med Hat), I was told to my shock I would have to sign a form to NEVER train clients outside their facility. I teach certain things outside...OUTSIDE!. She told me I would have to stop doing that. The job interview was now over.
Pros
ARE NONE.
Cons
EVERYONE. No customer service...just sales
Fantastic workplace, with amazing staff members and amazing management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON21 September 2016
I absolutely loved working here, school did get in the way causing me to leave, but everything there was amazing. The staff was friendly and welcoming, the management team was also very friendly and welcoming. It felt as if it was a very close family-like environment in the workplace. Absolutely loved going to work and hated leaving.
Pros
Free workout time, close staff, friendly staff, friendly management
Cons
N/A
Great place to work need better management
Personal Trainer, fitness manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary7 September 2016
Really focused on making everyone a part of my family circle and enjoyed every day I worked there. Since meeting new people with a common goal is a enjoying making a difference in someones life is an experience that I will never forget. The problem was dealing with management everyday and making me feel like a kid instead of an adult was the reason why I left both times.
Great work environment (staff)
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 January 2017
The work environment (staff/customers) were great. Great culture!

Long work hours and little compensation, with a challenge to progress in the company because of lack of career advancement opportunities is why it is only 3 stars.
Pros
Staff, culture
Cons
Little pay, little opportunity for advancement
excellent organization
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 December 2016
this organization has a tremendous, infectious team morale throughout the country, with over 350 clubs and growing this place has developed way more than just a gym.

would highly recommend to use these facilities as a consumer but also as an employee if an opportunity presented itself.
Nice people to work with. Company doesn't care if you succeed.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 December 2016
If you want to be a personal trainer do it by yourself. Terrible experience. The people you work with are nice. But the company could care less about the personal trainers.
Pros
Nice people, free gym membership.
Cons
The pay, unsupportive and disconnected management.
Great management but terrible work policies
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto5 September 2016
This is not your average hourly job, the only time you are being paid is when you are in a work meeting, and training clients. Aside from that you are there on your own time trying to acquire clients from within the gym. The hardest part of the job is making sure your clients come and train for that hour block of time. If they do not show up, you will not be paid. You can decide to charge the client if they do not give you 24 hours notice of the cancellation. If you do charge them, you can be sure that some clients will be sour because they do not appreciate your time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk and learn about other peoples lives while you help them improve their physical wellness and lifestyle and helping them reach their fitness goals.
A good place to be motivated.
Motivator/Sales (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 November 2016
It is a great job if you want to meet new people and hear about their fitness journey to be motivated. The people are very friendly and are always willing to help correct formation of exercises. I have learned many things from goodlife about fitness and goals.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Unfair hours.
Best workplace
Accounting Associate - Receivables (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 December 2016
Amazing work place and enjoy your day; go everyday with purpose and learn new things; one of the best brand of Canada; second to none; relax environment and recommend others to start a good career
Pros
worklife balance
Cons
slow decision making; sometime feels like too relax
Positive healthy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 August 2016
I always looked forward to my work day because the energizing environment I was fortunate to work in. Members and staff are/were friendly, positive and made your day a positive one. Management supported you and encouraged personal health development. Working for GoodLife Fitness encouraged me to take the path I am on in my Nutrition studies journey. The ground work for my studies was laid by seeing how nutrition, health, fitness and personal mental development all go hand in hand. I am on an amazing journey of discovery.
Pros
Free membership
Good place to start your career
Personal Trainer Level (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2017
Working here taught me how to communicate with a wide variety of people. It was one of the best jobs I had to expand my network in a new city. Be prepared to build your own business from scratch.
Pros
free membership
Cons
long unpaid hours prospecting for new clients
Great place to work But verry competitive
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON17 November 2016
I was a personal trainer
It is 100% commission based
if you are not training someone, you are not getting paid
I did not get my full pay on many occations
Pros
Fun place to work and interact with others
Cons
Company is too Large and employees get lost in the paperwork
fun work environment with approachable staff
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 December 2016
Great job, fun, lots of help when necessary, management is great. Very enthusiastic conference calls, Trying to meet quota during slow months is a burden
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours, no paid over time and constant stress of meeting quota
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON3 August 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Reviews by Location