GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

You're expected to be a car salesman!
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Do not apply here to be a personal trainer!... unless you're a car salesman at heart. If you can do the pushy sales thing, give it a go, otherwise don't waste your time. You are expected to gain your own clients by using extremely pushy sales tactics. Management makes bonuses off of your sales. When you don't meet sales goals or lock people into at least 6 months at 3 times a week (roughly $5000), you get scolded in front of everyone. It's been so stressful trying to make ends meet and being scolded on a weekly basis by management. They put your numbers on boards and in pamphlets for other co-workers to embarrass you even more. Very negative environment... unless you're good at the pushy sales, like I said. I've lost my training passion working here. You'll never get ahead, and you'll work split shifts constantly to accommodate clients.

You get minimum wage to start. They make it sound like it's easy to gain clients... it's not, especially in this economy. You need 15-18 clients at 2-3x/week to make any sort of a decent income. No benefits or paid vacation. Clients cancel on a daily basis, and that's money out of your pocket, so be aware.
Pros
Make your own schedule... kind of.
Cons
Long days, low pay.
Great Compensation
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 October 2016
I was employed by GoodLife for a year, where I worked full time as in Membership Sales. A very demanding job. Quotas are hard to hit consistently, and the hours are not very friendly towards work-life balance. In spite of this, if you work hard and do meet quotas, the compensation is very fair. Working in a gym is also a very motivating environment, and the networking opportunities are incredible. You meet people from every walk of life, and if you foster these relationships they will benefit in the future.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unrealistic Quotas
Fitness Advisor
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
This job is a very hard job, is fun for a bit but it is not for people who want a life or sleep, the management is very bi-polar in what they want so be prepared to always be on your toes, The company itself is great great ideas, just very hard job to do and there is literally no slack given in this fact, there is lots of positives and negatives though, just know what youre getting yourself into.
Pros
free membership, benefits
Cons
long hours no life
Great work environment (staff)
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 January 2017
The work environment (staff/customers) were great. Great culture!

Long work hours and little compensation, with a challenge to progress in the company because of lack of career advancement opportunities is why it is only 3 stars.
Pros
Staff, culture
Cons
Little pay, little opportunity for advancement
Great environment, Bad management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 September 2016
The environment is great, I loved being at the gym all day everyday and working with individual clients. Working with a bunch of young aspire trainers was great also and developed some good relationships. On the other hand, this company has way too much priority on sales, I didn't want to become a trainer so I could worry about selling all day everyday. The management puts so much pressure on all of its trainers to sell sell sell, if you do sell you get praised for about a day then the following day you're expected to sell more sessions and if not you're back to getting yelled at for not making the company money. At the end of it, they're was much more pressure to sell than there actually was training clients. If you want to do sales everyday all day then this is the job for you but for me I'd rather be training clients than continually harassing members on getting started with training.

In summary, a great atmosphere and most people are good. Could probably complain about the way they go about things all day but I won't, too much pressure on sales management doesn't care about you personally only about if you're making sales. Feels like you have to be a robot working for an evil corporation.

Better options out there for trainers.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Management, not caring for you, more sales than training.
no benefits
General Manager, Bedford Ravines (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
Hard to call a place a career when there is little to no benefits available to full-time employees. Very fun environment to work in, great people to work with and rewarding to help people.
If fitness is your passion, don't work here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON3 August 2016
Management sucks unless they have been in the role for years and actually know how to lead. Micromanagers galore. IT IS A SALES JOB. That is all you learn how to do.. you essentially teach yourself how to be a trainer.
Long hours which are unpaid after your 3 months. The money you make in your probation period is essentially "loaned" and then you pay it back with your commission from sales. You get written up if you don't have enough clients or hours after probation... this happens every month until you hit target hours. Co-workers and clients will be the only thing that keep you sane but it is not worth it overall.
Pros
working with clients and getting people results
Cons
management, no work/life balance, no job security or stable income
Expected to work past your shift doing paperwork with no overtime paid out.
Fitness advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
Didn't agree with the fact that they expect you to stay late everyday filling out a page of math/data entry which management should be doing. Essentially this consists of inputting your sales goals/targets and what you actually met, then doing math to get the percentage of different numbers so they could track you. I found this something the manager should be doing. At the same time, the day was spent having many useless meetings, when in fact we could be taking customers and making money. This job may be for some, but was not something I agreed with.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Long hours, no overtime paid out, unfair/unequal sales system
Great Place to Work
Fitness Advisor (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON1 November 2016
- Challenging work environment: push to sell quota of memberships
- Benefits include using any GoodLife across Canada
- Co-workers are supportive and inclusive
high targets and high turnover rates for FA
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2016
the pay and benefits are not in line with the amount of work you do. not a supportive of constructive work experience. daily tasks are high in number. 30 leads min a day, 6-8 booked appointments per day and must have a 50% closing sale ratio. must do a lot of outreach, cold calling, door to door. basically whatever it takes to get the numbers into the club. cult like atmosphere.
Pros
pay full time
Cons
long hours and high targets, stressful
No work life balance.
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2016
Good job if your single. But if you have a family you'll never see them. No compensation for being there all day. Management is poor and most don't workout of even look like they workout. Turnover is really high.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
no sick days, no vacation, long hours, no compensation
Fun, interactive, a very lively place to work at.
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
My work consist of me booking appointments and generating leads. When a prospect comes in for the appointment as a Fitness Advisor I have to determine the best membership options for them.

I've learnt to be more confident and be personable to be successful in this sales job.

Management was great, Everything was ran with integrity.

The hardest part would have to be getting sales leads every month.

I love being able to interact with new members and making sure they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
An okay place to work.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
A typical day consists of engaging clients towards the achievement of their fitness goals, providing structured workout programs and lifestyle tips for all fitness levels, and recruiting new members and personal training clients.

The company encourages employees to adapt to different clients needs, become incredibly personable, and to manage time and clients effectively.

GoodLife tends to micro manage their employees which I saw as a down side. While they emphasize personal, respectful and compassionate relationships between employees, employers, and members, I found the job to be in reality much more corporate, impersonal, and completely inflexible.

Generating new leads in an environment where clients and members are consistently called on and approached was one of the biggest obstacles at GoodLife,

However, the satisfaction of seeing someone accomplish something they once thought to be impossible was enjoyable. Educating others about the importance of physical activity, proper nutrition and the benefits of lifestyle changes was what I thought to be the most rewarding aspect of the job.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Incredibly long hours with no compensation nor the opportunity for flexibility.
fun work environment with approachable staff
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 December 2016
Great job, fun, lots of help when necessary, management is great. Very enthusiastic conference calls, Trying to meet quota during slow months is a burden
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long hours, no paid over time and constant stress of meeting quota
Enjoyable work place
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 July 2016
It requires hard work to be successful, but you will achieve success if you do what it takes! Compensation is more than fair, and the atmosphere/culture is amazing.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Long days
fun and energetic work place.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 February 2017
show up 15 minutes before first client, depending on the day i would train clients during hours i had no bookings we would work on leads and walking the floor.
learned how to interact with clients and one on one sales, using methods i acquired through the company.
Hardest part is creating a schedule that works with work life balance.
enjoyed meeting different people whether they were my clients or just regulars in the gym, building life long friends.
Pros
gym membership
Cons
split days
Lots of Oppurtunity for Advancement
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
Very positive company culture. Learned viable tools such as retention, scheduling, and motivation of staff and members.

Long hours that exceed over 44 hours (unpaid), on call 24/7 (unpaid).
Pros
Mostly positive atmosphere
Cons
Many groups form Cliques, lack of appreciation for associates from some management.
Changing peoples lives
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON26 September 2016
Great company to work for but unless you go into sales there is no advancement.
It can be a very fun place to work; the members are the best part.
I usually work the front desk for a few hours greeting members, scanning them in and preparing any paperwork to make any changes/payments to their account.
Later, I take all of the paperwork and cash to the back and go through the paperwork making sure that everything is correct on the paper and in the computer. If there is a problem I call the member to explain what is needed and make sure they understand what and why we need the information. I make sure that the cash balances and prepare the bank deposit as needed. Also responsible for taking the deposit to the bank.
As a hole, I love my job however, there is no room for advancement unless I go into sales which is quite high stress with daily goals.
I would continue doing this job forever however, I am looking for more challenges.
Loved the job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC20 January 2017
As a Fitness Trainer, I would make recommendations of available health and fitness services based on personal member needs and preferences. Reception and clerical duties including handing paperwork, filing, computer entries, bookkeeping and collecting payments. Greeting of new and regular clientele while providing a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Also building strong personal rapport and providing facility and equipment orientations.
All staff have to be CPR and AED every year.
My manager was awesome, unfortunately our location was converted to a different branch and most if not all staff were laid off.
The workplace culture was one of a kind. We were not just a ladies only fitness club, we were a community. From the staff to the members, we were always there for each other.
Hardest part of the job was the low pay, but the highlights of the job made it so worth it.
Giving ladies a safe place to be themselves and improve, as well as help to change their life by making healthy choices. It will be missed!
Pros
Free Canada wide membership!
Cons
Low pay
Great coworkers... job was aweful
Member experience specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 January 2017
I worked a few positions with goodlife, but the worst was as a member experience specialist at home office. The culture changed dramatically over the time I was there. It went from providing the best service to the members, to providing the fastest. It was very much a call centre environment.
They expect you to include A, B,C, D, and E in the call, but they want you to complete everything in 3 minutes, which is incredibly stressful. If you don't complete these things, you are reprimanded.
You are also yelled at on a daily basis by members, which emotionally drains you. And it always gets worse when there is a major change made to any of the clubs. You are usually the last to know about it, but you have to deal with all the complaints and backlash.
At the end of the day, the pay is really not worth the amount of work you do and the stress you deal with.
The one saving grace is that the people you work with are really great and I ended up making some really close relationships with them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too much stress, little pay, evaluated on quantity not quality.