GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere with great people to work with.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2017
They are very pushy to have their goals met and do not allow you to take breaks when needed if you are not where they need you to be
Pros
You get to make your own schedule, workout anytime you want, You get to teach members how to workout properly to avoid injury, watch them progress in their journey to their goals
Cons
Extremely Long hours, must spend all day in the gym, make sure you do not fall below a certain amount of hours, or there will be repercussions to deal with
fun and energetic work place.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 February 2017
show up 15 minutes before first client, depending on the day i would train clients during hours i had no bookings we would work on leads and walking the floor.
learned how to interact with clients and one on one sales, using methods i acquired through the company.
Hardest part is creating a schedule that works with work life balance.
enjoyed meeting different people whether they were my clients or just regulars in the gym, building life long friends.
Pros
gym membership
Cons
split days
Fun and energetic environment
FITNESS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 February 2017
I was involved in engaging in a number of activities over the course of a typical day such as teaching scheduled group classes which would be focused on cycling, dance, weight lifting or aerobic exercise. One-on-one personal training sessions with clients. When I was not instructing anyone, you would find me spending time training my team on interpersonal sales approaching skills and coming up with unique workouts for their clients and classes.
Pros
Making a positive change in someones life
Cons
Physically demanding
Always changing environment.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Lots of opportunity to sell yourself and the products with heavy traffic coming through the doors. keeping clients engaged is important.
Fun!
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 February 2017
Working at Goodlife was a fun experience. I love working in a fitness industry. A typical day at work is basically getting leads in which they can turn to be potential members. Selling memberships was the hardest part of the job but staying confident to sell was easy. Management were always very friendly and outgoing, always made you feel like one of them. I really enjoyed the job itself. I liked working with something I was passionate about.
Not worth working here
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
As a personal trainer, you will often spend 10+ hours per day at the club, while only being paid for half of that. Not to mention GoodLife keeps 50% of the money paid for training sessions in the first place. So you basically need to work 60 hour weeks to get 30 hours. Not worth it.
Pros
Work with good, cool people for the most part
Cons
Everything Else
Fun Work Place
Co-op at GoodLife Fitness (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 January 2017
At GoodLife Fitness the environment is so amazing and so are the workers they are very welcoming we smiles on their faces.
You're expected to be a car salesman!
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Do not apply here to be a personal trainer!... unless you're a car salesman at heart. If you can do the pushy sales thing, give it a go, otherwise don't waste your time. You are expected to gain your own clients by using extremely pushy sales tactics. Management makes bonuses off of your sales. When you don't meet sales goals or lock people into at least 6 months at 3 times a week (roughly $5000), you get scolded in front of everyone. It's been so stressful trying to make ends meet and being scolded on a weekly basis by management. They put your numbers on boards and in pamphlets for other co-workers to embarrass you even more. Very negative environment... unless you're good at the pushy sales, like I said. I've lost my training passion working here. You'll never get ahead, and you'll work split shifts constantly to accommodate clients.

You get minimum wage to start. They make it sound like it's easy to gain clients... it's not, especially in this economy. You need 15-18 clients at 2-3x/week to make any sort of a decent income. No benefits or paid vacation. Clients cancel on a daily basis, and that's money out of your pocket, so be aware.
Pros
Make your own schedule... kind of.
Cons
Long days, low pay.
no benefits
General Manager, Bedford Ravines (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
Hard to call a place a career when there is little to no benefits available to full-time employees. Very fun environment to work in, great people to work with and rewarding to help people.
Great coworkers... job was aweful
Member experience specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 January 2017
I worked a few positions with goodlife, but the worst was as a member experience specialist at home office. The culture changed dramatically over the time I was there. It went from providing the best service to the members, to providing the fastest. It was very much a call centre environment.
They expect you to include A, B,C, D, and E in the call, but they want you to complete everything in 3 minutes, which is incredibly stressful. If you don't complete these things, you are reprimanded.
You are also yelled at on a daily basis by members, which emotionally drains you. And it always gets worse when there is a major change made to any of the clubs. You are usually the last to know about it, but you have to deal with all the complaints and backlash.
At the end of the day, the pay is really not worth the amount of work you do and the stress you deal with.
The one saving grace is that the people you work with are really great and I ended up making some really close relationships with them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too much stress, little pay, evaluated on quantity not quality.
Loved the job
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC20 January 2017
As a Fitness Trainer, I would make recommendations of available health and fitness services based on personal member needs and preferences. Reception and clerical duties including handing paperwork, filing, computer entries, bookkeeping and collecting payments. Greeting of new and regular clientele while providing a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Also building strong personal rapport and providing facility and equipment orientations.
All staff have to be CPR and AED every year.
My manager was awesome, unfortunately our location was converted to a different branch and most if not all staff were laid off.
The workplace culture was one of a kind. We were not just a ladies only fitness club, we were a community. From the staff to the members, we were always there for each other.
Hardest part of the job was the low pay, but the highlights of the job made it so worth it.
Giving ladies a safe place to be themselves and improve, as well as help to change their life by making healthy choices. It will be missed!
Pros
Free Canada wide membership!
Cons
Low pay
Good for students
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON19 January 2017
Greeted and scanned members into the
Laundry towels
Club runs
Deal with membership concerns
Collect payments

Most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with regular members. Hardest part of the job would definitely dealing upset members
Very exciting work enviornment
Personal Trainer - Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2017
Was a competitive rewarding job if you had the required skill set. Always had potential members around to build your client list if your skill set was in demand.
Pros
wages/commision
Cons
scattered hours
Great work environment (staff)
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 January 2017
The work environment (staff/customers) were great. Great culture!

Long work hours and little compensation, with a challenge to progress in the company because of lack of career advancement opportunities is why it is only 3 stars.
Pros
Staff, culture
Cons
Little pay, little opportunity for advancement
Flexible work environment with a diverse curture.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS11 January 2017
I enjoyed this establishment and the flexibility it provided.
It provided an environment I was very comfortable working it and
allowed me to meet many new people on a daily basis.
Not worth the pay
Childminding (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 January 2017
I work in childminding and it is minimum wage which is ridiculous for the amount of work required. Working shifts longer than 3 hours I also lose an hour of pay to pay for parking.
Experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2017
Goodlife fitness was an amazing opportunity for me. I got the chance to work there through a summer jobs program and I loved it. The environment was great and so were the people.
Great Welcoming Environment
Club Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 January 2017
I love what we do we have lots of fun.
Learned A lot
Own Office
EAP
Deadlines
Good Time Off
Good place to start your career
Personal Trainer Level (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2017
Working here taught me how to communicate with a wide variety of people. It was one of the best jobs I had to expand my network in a new city. Be prepared to build your own business from scratch.
Pros
free membership
Cons
long unpaid hours prospecting for new clients
Great Place to work
Motivator (Current Employee) –  Dieppe, NB4 January 2017
A great place to work with friendly people around. If you workout you will love it. If you do not, might as well give it a try.