GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great clients but isolation and under-rated.
JUMP Associate (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: work with great kids and free gym use.
Cons: under-rated and too much work for too little.
The hours are not desirable for they are too short but are consistent and may have all weekends off. You learn how to be around and handle children and get to meet great parents and kids. The hard part is the job is taxing for there is too much put onto the JUMP associate and expected of them for the little benefits they get.
n/a
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2014
A good learning experience as a new trainer just getting started
Fun and inspiring place to work
Sales/ Personal training/ Marketing (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: free gym membership, great oportunity to advance.
Cons: long hours.
Typical day is from 10-7pm. Long hours. Lots of overtime, no additional pay. I learned alot about people, fitness, and management. Co-workers are usually young and unprofessional, can make it difficult to feel "important". The hardest part of the job was the evening and weekend work in my eyes. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning so much, – more... and knowing that the oppotunity to advance was at my finger tips. Management is on point, they really guide you and train you through every interaction. – less
Unreal Staff at the Strandherd Goodlife
Fitness Advisor (Sales) (Current Employee), Nepean, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: breaks whenever, free gym membership
Cons: long hours (11-9)
Only worked there as a Fitness Advisor for about a month, nothing to complain about except of course it's a sales job so you constantly have to be working your butt off to get the money you want to make.
Friendly atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: no job security
The main part of my job was greeting gym members and attending to their needs.I was able to expand my knowledge on health supplements that were available at the gym. This allowed me to effective sale a product to members. The hardest part of the job was remember names of gym members.
Overall, this job was a great experience with great customers and – more... great co-workers. – less
Fun and Motivating
Sales (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioAugust 14, 2014
At our club we focus on creating the culture of having fun at work. A typical day involves booking prospective members to ensure sales goals are met. Once the appointment is booked the member comes in for a tour and we discuss how fitness can be part of their life. I am extremely passionate about helping people so this my absolute favorite part of my – more... job. – less
Good place to work given the right people
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 9, 2014
Pros: free membership, commission, supportive staff
Cons: long hours
I worked here for a year and overall it was a pretty good experience.

A typical day would be that I would come in at either 10 or 11, make a few confirmation calls to potential clients, then a team meeting to discuss the days layouts (ie; how many appointments you had for that day, how many more you needed in order to hit your daily quota, how many – more... appointments you had for the next day, how many people you needed to prospect for members, then you would be given your expectations (those of course being included in it but in addition; sell personal training, get extra leads,memorize your scripts, make sure you are setup for your next shift, etc.) Then you would hop into a call canvas where you would call potential members for appointments then between that meet with potential clients and sell them.

They really push using scripts and selling personal training. They do this obviously because it increases the companies revenue and you'll get more commission. Their idea on how the commission works isn't that fun personally. It's actually pretty stressful. They have you work crazy hours in order to reach new levels. There were times when you'd barely meet their "BAM" and the payout wasn't that high. You really have to keep ontop of everything as it's easy to fall behind. One of the worst things was not only did you have to worry about competition at other locations throughout town, but there were numerous times where my own management/coworkers stole my clients! That was what I had found to be one of the worst things about the job. Well that and there were times when management was two faced.They would gossip about you -personal matters to how you did your job- to the other co-workers while you weren't present and then act like your best friend when you were around. Personally I found that very unprofessional.
Minus that experience I had made good friends at the company, as for the most they do hire good people. The district manager was also very kind, and he even shows compassion to his staff. Which I found very rare/but of course good as that rarely happens when you have someone high up that genuinely cares about all their staff.

Overall I found working as a fitness adviser was a good experience. I learned how to become better organized, and had sharpened my sales skills. My co-workers were all very supportive and fun to work with. The company had hosted different events -some outside of the clubs and others within- which really did help keep things fun I found. Sometimes alot of hard work the commission wouldn't always quite pay out, but it also depended on the month -If it was a slower time for business that generally explained it! My only recommendation to the company would be that they try to work on the long hours thing (Seriously working from 11-9 or 10-8 with a mandatory 2 hour break that HAD to be taken 1-3 if you wanted a break that day is ridiculous, most people like to eat around 6 after not having eaten since about one, not 9. I understand that it gets busier at night, but if that persons agenda fits they should be able to take a break between 5-6:30 even if it's just a short half hour. After all we boosted that eating properly and on a certain schedule is healthy, we should practice that by allowing a 15 minute or half hour break so you can eat.
And the commission should be increased in the slow times to make it more worth working as hard. I understand the company needs to make profit but if they just increased it by say an extra 10-15 cents would make a difference. All and all Goodlife wasn't a bad place to work for. My overall experience was a good one. – less
Productive & fun work place
DAY CARE VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Nepean, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: after 1 month probation free gym fees
Its really a good experience while with the kids. I do not feel any stress while working.
Fun caring place to work
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee), cobourg, OnAugust 7, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: standing for 8 hrs a day
I love working at GoodLife. The members are amazing to see every day. Watching their bodies change and see progress is unreal. The coworkers are great to work with as well, we become one big family while being here. This is truly a great place to work.
Great company
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONAugust 5, 2014
Gym job is a great way to improve your lifestyle and help you become a healthier person with higher goals set for yourself
Great gym, not so great corporation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSAugust 4, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: no management support
Gym level, daily work was good. I loved greeting customers and making sure they were always comfortable and happy.

I did not like that when I would try to help a customer resolve an issue, there was not good support and when it was brought to the higher levels in the corporation (head office) it never seemed to benefit the customer.
Great corporate culture
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee), Halifax, Nova ScotiaJuly 16, 2014
GoodLife is a great company to work for - great opportunity for growth within the company, great culture
High energy, caring, motivating place to work
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Guelph Pergola CommonsJune 25, 2014
- high pressure sales environment
- very well organized and managed exceptionally
- always feel safe to approach management with questions or concerns
- everyone is warm and welcoming -staff are like one big happy family
Great!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), markham, onJune 16, 2014
GoodLife fitness is a great company especially if you love health and fitness. Working there for so long gave me all the tools to work in any industry and the customer service knowledge that everyone needs.
Fun culture and great social network
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2014
Good energy and great social opportunities. Learned how to provide focused customer service. Management was good. Overall my experience was good and I met many interesting people.
Awesome Company
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 8, 2014
Pros: excellent work environment
Cons: to get promoted to mgt or other mid-level positions requires agm position
I love my job & in reality do NOT want to leave; I am just not "into" the sales aspect of my position.
Toxic corporate environment where money is placed above people
Trainer (Former Employee), BCJune 2, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: poor/fear base management
In all the years that I have been working in the Health and Fitness industry, I have never witnessed such disregard for the associates' needs for balance in their lives. Pressure sales with an extremely high dollar per agreement value. People are paying for trainers that are not even certified and/or have any experience, however, charge premium rates. – more... Although the facilities are well maintained and a lot of the staff are nice, young and eager people, it isn't long before the environment becomes toxic with complaints and fear of management. I advise new trainers to find a way to begin their careers by working for smaller companies that will nurture their professional growth. If this company is your first exposure to the fitness industry, I am afraid that you will not see the best of our industry; you will see the complete opposite of what makes fitness so amazing. – less
Enjoyable place
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), 185 The West Mall, Etobicoke, ON M9C 5L5May 30, 2014
Pros: free facilitie to use.
Cons: n/a
Being working at the gym with a great team made me realized that we were a big family rather than just co-workers. We cared about each other, we had great moments, and we all helped each others to reach our health center's target.
Quality establishment, great life tool.
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Truro, Nova ScotiaMay 22, 2014
Working at Goodlife Fitness as a membership consultant was a learning experience that allowed me to apply my marketing and public relations skills in a venue other than food and beverage service. What I really enjoyed was being able to stand behind the service that I was selling, and to be confident that I was helping those in pursuit of such.
Stay away !!! Don't believe a word there say in the interview.
Maintenance (Former Employee), CalgaryMay 15, 2014
Cons: poor pay, no support
If you are not in Ontario there do not want to know! The supervisors are spineless and even if you have a concern about work practices there don't care. Long hours, poor pay and the contract you have to sign is a joke. There promise you the world to work for them, then when you start there change or deny there said it. You can see how he has made his – more... money by paying so little and not giving anything in return. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About GoodLife Fitness Clubs

Goodlife Fitness is the largest health club company in Canada with over 275 clubs. The company is 100% Canadian, and was founded – Read more