GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to work given the right people
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 9, 2014
Pros: free membership, commission, supportive staff
Cons: long hours
I worked here for a year and overall it was a pretty good experience.

A typical day would be that I would come in at either 10 or 11, make a few confirmation calls to potential clients, then a team meeting to discuss the days layouts (ie; how many appointments you had for that day, how many more you needed in order to hit your daily quota, how many appointments you had for the next day, how many people you needed to prospect for members, then you would be given your expectations (those of course being included in it but in addition; sell personal training, get extra leads,memorize your scripts, make sure you are setup for your next shift, etc.) Then you would hop into a call canvas where you would call potential members for appointments then between that meet with potential clients and sell them.

They really push using scripts and selling personal training. They do this obviously because it increases the companies revenue and you'll get more commission. Their idea on how the commission works isn't that fun personally. It's actually pretty stressful. They have you work crazy hours in order to reach new levels. There were times when you'd barely meet their "BAM" and the payout wasn't that high. You really have to keep ontop of everything as it's easy to fall behind. One of the worst things was not only did you have to worry about competition at other locations throughout town, but there were numerous times where my own management/coworkers stole my clients! That was what I had found to be one of the worst things about the job. Well that and there were times when management was – more... two faced.They would gossip about you -personal matters to how you did your job- to the other co-workers while you weren't present and then act like your best friend when you were around. Personally I found that very unprofessional.
Minus that experience I had made good friends at the company, as for the most they do hire good people. The district manager was also very kind, and he even shows compassion to his staff. Which I found very rare/but of course good as that rarely happens when you have someone high up that genuinely cares about all their staff.

Overall I found working as a fitness adviser was a good experience. I learned how to become better organized, and had sharpened my sales skills. My co-workers were all very supportive and fun to work with. The company had hosted different events -some outside of the clubs and others within- which really did help keep things fun I found. Sometimes alot of hard work the commission wouldn't always quite pay out, but it also depended on the month -If it was a slower time for business that generally explained it! My only recommendation to the company would be that they try to work on the long hours thing (Seriously working from 11-9 or 10-8 with a mandatory 2 hour break that HAD to be taken 1-3 if you wanted a break that day is ridiculous, most people like to eat around 6 after not having eaten since about one, not 9. I understand that it gets busier at night, but if that persons agenda fits they should be able to take a break between 5-6:30 even if it's just a short half hour. After all we boosted that eating properly and on a certain schedule is healthy, we should practice that by allowing a 15 minute or half hour break so you can eat.
And the commission should be increased in the slow times to make it more worth working as hard. I understand the company needs to make profit but if they just increased it by say an extra 10-15 cents would make a difference. All and all Goodlife wasn't a bad place to work for. My overall experience was a good one. – less
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: free membership, salary and benefits.
Cons: long hours, poor, lazy & shady management.
I worked for GoodLife for 3 years as a fitness Advisor. The job is basically a glorified telemarketer. Overall the job was great and i learned a great deal. I was lucky enough to work in a busy location and we got a lot of walk in traffic. This took a lot of pressure off having to leave the club to find your own business. Although they provide you with a lot of tools to get the job done the training is a little shady. You have to find what your comfortable with and find a way to make it work. If you have a good manager they will train you everyday at the 3pm meetings "sharpen the saw", in my case this rarely happened. My manager was either out of the club, working out or dealing with personal issues during these times. When the district manager did their monthly meetings we would basically put on a show for them.

If you work in a location that is not so busy be prepared to do a lot of extra work and long hours and not be paid for overtime.

Room for advancement- if you apply for the assistant manager position i would strongly advise against it. The entire club is on your shoulders, the pay for the amount of work output sucks, and you will get very little support from the General Manger. The "numbers" that are reflected come from the hard work of the FA's and the AGM. If you hit your targets your GM will take all the credit for it and do very little work. The GM receives bonuses by cutting corners and piggy backing off of the hard work of the rest of the staff.Leading by example is not something they do and if they can throw you under the bus to make themselves look better they – more... will take advantage of that.

The company makes money off of the personal training packages not so much the memberships. The personal trainers are paid by commission only and have to work very very long hours. Make sure that you ask to see there certification as some of them that have worked there for over 6 months have no certification. As a personal Trainer you are more of a glorified Sales person.

The company is motivated by profit only. GoodLife will try and hide behind the "caring for the members" speech that you will hear frequently. This is just not the case. They care about profit only. For members that try and cancel their membership they are made to make an appointment so that they can be resold to. They make it very difficult for the member and really lack in customer care that way. The way they care is by directly booking them with personal trainers, some who are not certified, so they can sell big packages by using fear as a motivation. Once the member signs a contract for Personal Training they make it almost impossible to get out of it unless you move away-in B.C only. DON"T DRINK THE KOOL AID. They promote a party culture, this was taken to the extreme with the illegal drug use that was going on at both locations i worked at, namely management, so be careful of that. – less
If you like bugging people for numbers
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), GuelphMay 16, 2015
Pros: None really
Cons: Long, odd hours. Setup for failure, money isn't there. So much out of your control
Frustrating go at it! You can work as hard as you can talking to everyone you see but so much of this job is out of your control and it's all your responsibility because your only a number who is supposed to Bring in numbers.
You telemarket over the phone by bugging people when their at work, most times they never answer because like I said their at work! We make are calls around 11:30-12:30 and 3:30-4.30. The names and numbers we have to use when making our calls are from what you personally got the previous day which means standing at a booth in the club talking to members who walk by. You really feel like a homeless person begging for change it really doesn't feel good when most guys don't even care to give you a second of their time. Although some girls stop for their free t shirt and the you fake numbers or just the most horrible leads. Your salary depends on what those people wrote down for names and numbers. They may never answer, they may already be members, they may live out of town, may never show up for appointments or hang up on you. I don't even have to mention standing out front of a grocery store on a rainy afternoon to try and pass out free passes to the gym and try and get names and numbers.
It really is rediculous when you do everything asked of you and out of nowhere your asked to leave and clean up your desk and walk out. That is so cold, for no reason at all, it's wrong! Busted my butt In parking lots and events and talked to everyone who passed by me when trying to give away goodlife t shirts or a chance to win an umbrella that nobody wants.
Hours are – more... usually 10-7 or 11-8 so a pretty bad work/life balance. There was a job posting for my position 2 weeks before I was randomly asked to leave so maybe managemet was being fake for 2 weeks would be disgusting. I felt as though I didn't have a real job since if I wasn't telemarketing, I was standing at a booth bugging people for names and numbers before or after their workout and half looked down upon me, so it's not with constantly being rejected or talking to the same people everyday asking for names and numbers it really makes you feel like a shmuck.

During team meetings you have to let everyone know your numbers based on unreasonable expectations so ofcourse you always feel like a failure bexsuse you only got 13 of 30 leads and 1 appointment out of 9 and that guy didn't even show up. Again bottom line is, 70% of your results you have no control of! So it really isn't fair, so guys don't even bother it's only a stepping stone anyways but not worth the stress. Unrealistic anyways your setup for failure if you can't take walk ins and rely on leads from no frills parking lots and referall booth. – less
Overall Terrible.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Regent, MBDecember 9, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers if you're lucky and free membership.
Cons: Obscene hours, terrible management, no focus on quality of service, and only cares about making money for the heads of the company.
I started out in child minding at goodlife while I was looking into their PT certification course CanFitPro. First off they expect you to watch 25+ children with only one paid worker and a volunteer. If you need something one person has to stay in the room and the other leaves. So not great at all. I then got "promoted" to front desk. Not a very hard job. I can deal with customers but the training side was an embarrassment. Ensure that your staff is fully trained on the policies and paper work before leaving them alone at the front desk. Management overall was terrible. They didn't know how to manage. The assistant manager prided herself on being a b*tch and the general manager was very passive aggressive and couldn't handle certain situations. I then became a trainer. It's great if you want to get started and PRACTICE being a trainer. But anyone can be a trainer at goodlife!!! All you have to do is pay $800 for the weekend course and you're in. Only a few trainers actually cared about furthering their knowledge and cared about their clients. Most trainers were perfectly fine at being mediocre at best. I got in trouble for getting certifications because it made the other trainers on the board look bad. Once you become a trainer you work obscene hours with little to no pay, and are expected to sell training packages which are along the lines of buying a small car. They preach about CARING when really they've turned inot a corporate giant with little to no care for their employees or members. BEWARE OF THE GOODLIFE KOOL-AID.
Amazing workplace with wonderful people and motivating colleagues :)
Group EXercise Instructor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 15, 2014
Pros: staying fit and healthy, happy and energetic all year long! :)
Cons: love my job too much! :)
Fantastic place to grow and advance and learn so many things about life, people, relationships, fitness and so much more. This company truly cares about the well being of people and therefore makes me very happy and proud to be a part of it!! Every time I teach my class, I am giving the very best of me, and each and every time I discover that I can give more, do better and improve with every class. I love to apply my knowledge in this environment and do my best to bring joy to people while they're working really hard on their fitness. To me, it's all about being happy and loving what you're doing because then you can share this love with others and make them happy too! :)
I have truly amazing and motivating co-workers (my TEAM!). Every part of my job is enjoyable, every bit of it! REALLY!!!
A typical class for me involves showing up on time in my peak attitude, welcoming everyone to the class and delivering a fun and energizing workout to kickstart their day, mid-afternoon or evening! Knowing the choreography and music inside out is a truly significant part of my job, because it frees you to be able to be truly present with the people in the room, while trusting that your preparation (music and choreo) are there for you, and letting yourself just BE YOURSELF! That's what I love most about it... Being an Group Exerices Instructor gives you the freedom to explore yourself and let your unique talents come through... <3 Therefore, making each class a unique experience!
I am most grateful for having this job and for being a part of such a great TEAM! :)
Issues with management
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 10, 2014
Pros: free membership, some benefits
Cons: pressure from management, stress, long-hours
I worked in sales as Membership Coordinator. A typical day included a morning sales meeting, run down of daily tasks, appointments with clients, another sales meeting after lunch, on the phones to book appointments for the next day. All the while doing tours and selling people gym memberships.

I learned a lot about how to sell gym memberships and how to overcome objections.

Management was strict and agressive on sales goals. Very hard on employees and at times emotionally abusive.

Co-workers included other sales people who are for the most part pretty inexperienced. The personal trainers are there but they act as a different and separate entity within the business and often compete with sales associates in different ways. The customer service staff are great but mostly kept in the dark about the sales side of the business so it is hard to explain to them the need for certain sales procedures and ways approach potential members in a way that best sets up a sale.

The hardest part of the job is generating leads. The leads from members are hard to qualify and most people know by now the approach Goodlife takes with point of sale referrals and they don't provide many qualified leads because they feel GL sales associates will call their friends (they will).

The most enjoyable part of the job was actually selling a gym membership to someone who legitimately needs it and you see they are happy with the sale and there experience in the gym. These are few and far between so it makes them especially nice.
all that matters with goodlife is how much you sell, they don't care about quality of your service at ALL
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Victoria TerraceNovember 16, 2015
Pros: Range of Equipments to use on your own workouts
Cons: long hours, poor management, no respect for quality of service to your clients, feel more like an insurance seller than a personal trainer
after becoming certified, my first personal training job was with goodlife. I joined them hoping to grow and learn with the "leading fitness industry". shorty after joining them I realised im in the wrong place if I want to be a professional trainer. first of all I looked at other trainers that have been at goodlife for more than 5 years and none of them knew anything other than canfitpros scope of practice. you ask a technical question and they all start scratching their head and dancing around fitness facts sounding like they have no idea what they are talking about. Also, as if this is elementary school, you have to worry about other personal trainers stealing your food, and I swear pigs live cleaner than some of these PTs.

I decided to become a personal trainer to actually change peoples life, but you cannot do that in goodlife. Personal trainers in goodlife have a DAILY meeting in the morning with their managers to tell them how many sessions did they sell the day before, or how many sessions they are hoping to sell on that day. BUT theres no meeting to ask the personal trainers how are they doing with their clients and what are the concerns, or anything about the quality of the service to the clients

to me, Goodlife is a joke and a symbol of corporation greed
The fattest fitness corporation I've ever worked for
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Decent entry level wage, opportunities to advance
Cons: Hours not guaranteed, management is bad, bureaucracy in the corporation is terrible, work place drama.
GoodLife is very good at making money. As a personal trainer you have zero job security and will not begin making any real money until you level up to level three and above. What is required to level up seems to be very straight-forward, however upper management can stop you from leveling up if your numbers don't meet their expectations.
Typically you will work a split shift, 3 or 4 clients in the morning and 4 or 5 clients in the evening, if you have a full roster of clients that is.
I learned some valuable information through some of the advertised courses through GoodLife. These courses are expensive however and often require you to travel to them.
Management tends to have no training in human resources or general management at all. Those managing personal trainers have no job security either and are under constant stress to expand their numbers, making their lives difficult, and your lives difficult.
Your coworkers are often uneducated people hired as PT's off the floor because they look fit. This tends to make for some terrible training and workplace drama
Constantly fighting to keep a full schedule is the hardest part of this job
The best part of this job is working with your clients and seeing their progress.
Fun and friendly work environment
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2013
Pros: doing what i like to do, and help people develop that same liking
Cons: availability from 6am to 7pm, even though only 5 of those hours were spent working
A typical day at work consisted of preparing paperwork on PC for clients to signature, indicating that they had attended and paid for the session. My first client started at 6am, 3 days a week. After this, I would do rounds on the gym floors, helping members with anything and general tidying up ( putting away weights and equipment ). Then I might have a Personal Health Profile Assessment (PHP) scheduled ( explained on resume ). Lunch was whenever you could take it, which might be as early as 11am, or as late as 2pm, due to a client training session either at 12 or 1pm, 3 days a week. Between then and 5pm, I would read relevant books or stand in at the request of another personal trainers session, so that I may learn some tricks of the trades from them. At 5pm, the mad rush came, but it was a terrific atmosphere, because everyone felt so enthusiastic to get going after a hard days work. At 6 or 7 I was done for the day. A long day it may have been, but helping people turn their lives around was worth it. The hardest part of the job was learning to tailor yourself to each clients personality ; clients typically consider their personal trainers as "shrinks" or "agony aunts". Although this was draining at times, it was paradoxically very rewarding.
Poor management and the jod was not was I was promised
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: Being in the gym all day meeting the great members
Cons: long hours and poor management
In my short time with Goodlife I was disappointed. After being in the Massage business for 3 1/2 plus years I was hoping to build my career into working as a personal trainer and massage therapist. This was explained in the hiring interview. I was told that I would be able to run my massage business and learn to train at goodlife. The demanding hours needed to fulfill daily job tasks took over my personal and massage business life. Unable to provide time for my current massage clients and the stress put on me as a trainer to fulfil sales number was disheartening to what I believed the personal training business to be. That is teaching clients how to better their lives and teach them to live a healthy lifestyle and teach them how to work out properly to lessen risk of injury and creating imbalances.
Management was very poor. From harassing texts on days of to demeaning meetings and contradicting rules and tasks.

I enjoyed being able to teach the few clients a little bit about fitness and give them my knowledge of a healthy lifestyle. I love communicating with people and being sociable and the gym allowed me to be very social and meat some great people.
Awesome workplace environment
Personal trainer (Current Employee), Dieppe, NBNovember 24, 2014
Pros: great salary for young poeple who are just starting out
Cons: can be long hours with split-shifts
I really enjoyed working at Goodlife fitness, I started first as a motivator which is front desk for the first year and then I switched to personal trainer which I enjoyed even more because I would always interact and see the progress of my clients.

Overall my experience was great: Good people, amazing energie levels and a good job for poeple who love fitness. I learned to manage my own clients wich is basically my own business, do programming for each individuals. I would usually do split shifts, starting at 8 in the morning, having a mid afternoon break and work until 9 or so at night.

I learned a lot on how to manage my own time/business and of course a lot about fitness in general. The part I liked the most is of course the 1 on 1 hour I had with my clients, great way to bond with them and see how they respond to different types of training.

One of the hardest parts was the sales but always managed to to them of course, selling in average personal training packages of 3000$-6000$ for long term training.
PT have fun together, but the Fitness Manager was the cancer of the gym.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Airdrie, ABDecember 30, 2013
Pros: free use of gym
Cons: no money
Hardest part of the job is relying on your clients to come in. Training a client is the only way of getting paid through GL

- I learned how to deal with people. Overcome objectives, and run my own successful business

- hardest part of the job was showing up at 5 AM and learning 25 minutes later that your 5 AM was not showing up for that session.

- Most enjoyable part of working for GL had to be the trainers. Awesome team we had.

-Management was a nightmare from hell. No idea what she was doing, two faced, and never offered any sort of help to new and upcoming PT. Safe to say she is out of a job as we speak.

- Typical day is working 15 hours, trying to get new clients, and training the clients you do have in your inventory. Filling out consults, and always setting goals to better yourself.

- It was hard to advance in GL, In order to advance you would have to spend money on GL courses to be able to advance, Numbers mattered, but not so much when it came to advancing from a level 2, to any higher position.
Great team and positive environment
FITNESS MANAGER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2012
Pros: working with a great team
Cons: long hours
I was managing an average of 15 personal trainers. Daily I would meet with each personal trainer and help them with any certain issues they were having. I would do a lot of role play in different scenarios to coach them through consults, sales, client issues, phone calls, etc.

It is a revenue driven business which I would manage the sales on the month, our daily appointments, generating new business, and renewing clients. I would goal set monthly with each associate and ensure they are on pace throughout the month.

I would also have time set aside to do reports on service, and sales for our club and for individual trainers. I would also spend time on the floor to monitor clients session and trainer professionalism.

Hardest part to the job was the long hours.
Most enjoyable part to the job was coaching individuals and seeing them suceed.

I learned how to manage a variety of different individuals and work with them to ensure they were successful.
Long Hours, Mediocre pay, Expensive benifits, Great opportunity for Learning,
Sales Manager/ Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: The potential positive impact you can make in people's lives is awesome
Cons: frontline workers are under paid - turn over was crazy.
I met great people while working there. I learned a great deal and experience a great deal of success...but it was not easy!!!

I works incredibly hard and worked long hours. The job forced me out of my comfort zone and challenged my inhibitions.

The part I loved best was helping people. They would come feeling nervous or sad or frustrated. They wouldn't know where to start and I would show them and educate them and give them tools and options and sometimes (not always) it changed a person's life. And I was able to watch the change. That felt good.

Policies and procedures changed often making things a bit confusing at times.

Low rate in pay for frontline associates translated to low level of commitment to GL's so called " World Class Customer Service" and made employee attrition terrible.
Productive work environment
Sales/Fitness Advisor (Former Employee), Kanata, ONFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: long hours
On a day to day basis everything was broken down and planned out well, our sales goals for the day were broken down at the beginning of each shift. In "das" books daily schedule was also planned out therefore expectations were very well broken down from how long lead generation would be, how long your workout/lunch was and how many times you would leave open for following up with clientele with phone calls etc. Management and staff were gossipy and unprofessional at times although supportive when necessary. I found the most difficult part of the job was managing my time outside of my long work hours and learning how to always be consistent with sales although management gave me excellent support through roll plays, and different training exercises. My favourite part about working at Goodlife was being able to have time to workout everyday during my shift as well as having the chance to change, help and save lives.
Toxic corporate environment where money is placed above people
Trainer (Former Employee), BCJune 2, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: poor/fear base management
In all the years that I have been working in the Health and Fitness industry, I have never witnessed such disregard for the associates' needs for balance in their lives. Pressure sales with an extremely high dollar per agreement value. People are paying for trainers that are not even certified and/or have any experience, however, charge premium rates. Although the facilities are well maintained and a lot of the staff are nice, young and eager people, it isn't long before the environment becomes toxic with complaints and fear of management. I advise new trainers to find a way to begin their careers by working for smaller companies that will nurture their professional growth. If this company is your first exposure to the fitness industry, I am afraid that you will not see the best of our industry; you will see the complete opposite of what makes fitness so amazing.
Corp Office not great to work at
home office (Former Employee), London, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: free membership, people, casual dresscode
Cons: management, pay, benefits, technology, office building
Salary is significantly lower than market value and no one in upper management seems to care - work way too much and too hard for what is paid. Benefits are alright if you're single, but as soon as you add dependents, there goea half of your paycheque. Yes, you do get a free membership...let's be honest, it doesn't cost them anything for this.

Management was the worst ever worked for - no motivation, inspiration, communication sucked, and they do not support ideas for change. You can go to HR about issues, but they don't do anything to help their staff.

The major positive is that the majority of people working there are actually great and fun people - def made the job easier to deal with.

The co is growing to fast for what they can handle, and they are so technologically behind it's like living in the dark ages.
My position at GoodLife
Reception, Administration, CS (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 23, 2013
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: stress
I have gained a lot of experience as a receptionist and administrative assistant. I have perfected my skills in working as a team or by myself, whenever needed. I have learnt to work under a lot of stress, though not desired.
My day consists of greeting clients, answering incoming calls, making outbound calls to current clients, working in team or alone, reporting to the General Manager or Assistant General Manager, building a good rapport with clients, co-workers and managers.
Hardest part of the job is working understaffed, not getting a deserving raise, working with constant changes in staff and management, as well as tremendous amount of issues from clients, stress.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with pleasant clients and co-workers, having an understanding Manager, perks to using the fitness club for myself and family.
fun, great atmosphere
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee), 2300 yonge streetMarch 26, 2015
Pros: get to workout for free and before my lunch
Cons: terrible assistant manager
a typical day at work involved talking to potential members and aiding them in getting started with their fitness goals, and at the same time developing leads and following up on leads inside and outside the club. I've learned how to effectively manage my time, the job required me to make my own schedule and make my own appointments which was very new to me. the general manager was great probably the best i've known, the assistant manager however is the worst i've known. I had a bad feeling about this manager from the start, they lacked professionalism and manners and i found out they were giving sales to a specific advisor because they were friends, which made my job harder because i had to try and match their sales. However i do enjoy the job because i love interacting with new people every day.
Enjoyable place to work
CSR (Former Employee), Wasaga Beach, ONApril 15, 2013
Pros: got to work out for free
Cons: couldn├Ęt be in two places at once; but i tried!
I greeted each and every person that came into the club and assisted each of them to their needs.
I sold products and encouraged customers to take advantage of promotions taking place.
I answered phones and took messages for other co-workers in the club.
I also took care of paper work regarding tans, inventory, appointments, events etc...
I assisted our trainers with their paper work to they could attend to their clients in a timely fashion.

I learned that health and fitness is great in our everyday life. Working out with other members brought so much joy to me knowing that I could help them succeed their goals.

My co-workers were a great goup of people. They inspired me each and everyday.

The hardest part of my job was having to leave.

Seeing the smiles on our clients face is and was the greatest part of the job.