The folks at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center have plenty of reasons to feel good about their efforts. The hospital is part of Catholic Health Services of Long Island (CHS) and serves the south shore community of West Islip, New York. As a full-service medical center with 440 acute care beds and 900 physicians, it offers a complete range of health care, counseling, and rehabilitation services. Good Samaritan provides emergency medicine and trauma care, in addition to oncology, cardiology, pediatric, woman's health, diagnostic, and surgical care. It also operates the Good Samaritan Nursing Home, a 100-bed skilled nursing facility, as well as satellite clinics and a home health care agency.
Good Samaritan admits about 30,000 inpatients per year and has an annual occupancy rate of about 86%. The hospital's outpatient services include same day surgeries, pulmonary rehabilitation, pediatric specialty visits, and physical, occupational, and speech therapy sessions; it also has satellite locations that provide dialysis treatment.
Good Samaritan is recognized for its cancer care and radiology programs, as well as its cardiac, pediatric, and women's health services, all of which it has been expanding and enhancing in recent years. For instance, the hospital added a nephrology unit within its pediatric division to evaluate and treat children with kidney disease in 2011, and a new diagnostic imaging center providing radiology services including breast imaging was opened on the hospital's first floor in 2012. In addition, Good Samaritan is working to add an open-heart surgery program to its cardiology division through a partnership with St. Francis Hospital, another member of the CHS organization also known as The Heart Center.
The not-for-profit facility's growth measures are supported in part by its charitable organization, The Guilds of Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center. The Good Samaritan hospital provides some $50 million in community service and charity care each year.
Founded in 1959, Good Samaritan became part of the CHS organization in 1997. – less