The Good Hope Cannery is a private resort, a Fishing Lodge, located at River’s Inlet, British Columbia, Canada. Good Hope Cannery is set amongst some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, a remote wilderness fishing lodge, accessible by boat and plane only. We take our food seriously and source the freshest, best ingredients, including organic meats, produce and fruits.
Each and every Good Hope Cannery employee is entitled to all of these amazing job perks:
- Travel from Vancouver to and from lodge included
- On-site staff accommodations, including laundry facilities
- All Meals and snacks
- Complimentary Wireless, Telephone Service, Satellite TV, Library, DVDs
- Use of recreation facilities (based upon availability)
- Uniforms (jacket, hats, aprons, pants)
- Good Hope Cannery t-shirts
Head Chef is an experienced chef position ideally suited for a well-rounded, versatile chef; this position includes developing and leading a small team, to prepare and serve meals, for 30 to 40 people. This is a flexible position, with final job description and schedule determined by your strengths.
Your job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- This position will take a hands on cooking and leadership role in preparation and production of all food requirements for our varied daily functions
- Works the line for lunch and dinner daily
- Strong and creative knowledge for vegetarian, ethnic and diverse recipes and dishes
- Strong knowledge of working with organic products
- Prepares the necessary food items in accordance with standards and in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service
- Adheres to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Predominantly responsible for the leadership and guidance of a 4-5 person team responsible for preparing all food requirements and completing the cooking process for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Responsible for organizing and providing all food items for the staff and guests, including creative lunches to go
- Assist with the continuous hands-on training of all kitchen team members, focused on providing consistently high quality food and value
- Assist with menu planning and recipe costing as required
- Assist with the maintenance of efficient purchasing, ordering, receiving, food storage and inventory control procedures
- Creates a par stock level for ordering and inventory maintenance
- Ensure all kitchen team members are correctly trained according to municipally approved food handling procedures
- Achieve and maintain full compliance with all regulatory health and safety codes in food preparation areas
- Complete all standard requirements of Good Hope Cannery health & safety training and maintain a strong work place health and safety environment
- Keeps work stations clean and organized including fridge’s/freezers, countertops and stove tops
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum in order to reduce food cost expense
- Will operate all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with resort and government Food Safety guidelines
- Report any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Operations Manager in a timely fashion
- Knows the detailed cooking procedures for all breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Prepare and cook special meals for guests upon request
- Know the proper preparation method for all different recipes
- Ensure quality of food and determine size of food proportions
- Know and practice procedures for dating and identifying products
- Properly store and label left overs
- Prepare dishes for customers with food allergies or intolerances
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- Inspect kitchens and food service areas
- Responsible for cleanliness of all tools and all work stations, all knives and instruments, equipment
- Oversee cleaning tasks and cleaning task schedule
- Know and practise good hygiene and food safe procedures
- Work with specialized cooking equipment (Deep Fryer, AltoSham, Grills, Ovens, Rational Combiovens, Hobarts, etc.)
- Must be very organized with their time and has dedication to their position.
- Work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team member, in a remote resort, with minimal staff
- Assists in an entire team effort for the success of the lodge and guest satisfaction
- Complete other job related duties as necessary for resort excellence, including assisting in other departments if required
- Creates a supportive, team work environment to ensure excellent staff working conditions, as well as a wonderful guest culinary experience
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including split shifts - mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays
Professionalism and Style Expectations:
The following is expected of every Team Member and Manager at Good Hope Cannery:
- Serves great food with great service and a great attitude.
- Projects and assignments are completed thoroughly, professionally and with care in a timely manner.
- Adjusts to high pressure situations and is open to change.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development.
- Conducts themselves (acts & dresses) professionally at all times while setting the standard for all Team Members.
- Understands and communicates the Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Expresses ideas and conveys information clearly, effectively and professionally.
- Works to resolve disagreements; is respectful of peers and co-workers.
- Maintains their uniforms, washing and ironing as needed, using laundry facilities provided
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Red Seal Program an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
Special Skills or knowledge necessary for this position:
- Technical training at the highest level of culinary arts, supported by professional qualifications.
- Complete certification on WHMIS policies and procedures
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a wide variety of food & beverage operations, with a proven track record in similar fine dining establishments (previous work experience in a remote resort kitchen or comparable position will be an asset)
- Full-Service Resort or Restaurant Kitchen Experience is desired
- Excellent knife handling skills
- Excellent carving skills
- Excellent cooking skills
- Knowledge of farm to table cooking an asset
- Passion for local ingredients and clean cooking
- Strong communication skills
- Recent food service experience - specifically working on the ground in a kitchen for extended periods of time Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
- Time management skills to balance multiple priorities
- Baking experience an asset
- Ability to organize and manage buffets and banquets an asset
- Organizational skills-Ability to be organized in a changing environment
- Ability to maintain a calm professional demeanor during periods of uncertainty or crisis
- Proven performance with cost controls.
- Self-motivated, innovative problem solver, with proven leadership and communication skills.
- Excellent customer relations and service skills.
- Must love and enjoy working with food
- High level of personal hygiene
- Good organization and management skills
- Can work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to quickly identify and solve problems
- Must be innovative, detail oriented and quality conscious
Terms of Employment: This is a full time seasonal position that will be required to work fulltime, split shifts, and weekends, holidays, days and evenings. The season tentatively starts July 1, 2014 and ends September 6, 2014. Employees are expected to commit to a full season upon contract signing, and understand they will work and live at River’s Inlet, Good Hope Cannery for the full season, 7 days a week. Standard Work Hours – 10 hour days, possibility for split shifts, mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
Title: Head Chef
Terms of Employment: Seasonal, Full Time, On Call, Shift, Weekend, Day, Night, Evening
Contract Salary: based on experience- typically wages for 1 month are in excess of $5000, plus accommodations, meals, and a share of gratuities
Anticipated Contract Date: 2014/07/01 – 2014/06/09 (subject to change)
Location: River’s Inlet, BC
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses):
- Safe Food Handling certificate, Food Safe Level 1 and 2 Certificates
- WHMIS Certificate
Experience: 5 year minimum
Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English
Work Setting: Remote Resort, cooking for approximately 30 – 40 guests.
Work Conditions: Fast-paced environment, work under pressure, tight deadlines, physically demanding, with great attention to detail required.
Essential Physical Requirements:
Daily physical requirements and/or number of pounds that may need to be lifted on the job:
- Stands during the entire shift.
- Reaches, bends, squats and lifts.
- Combination of bending, crouching, and kneeling, standing, walking.
- Carries plates, lifts glass racks and boxes weighing up to 50 pounds up to 20 times per shift.
- Some exposure to smoke, steam, high temperatures and humidity.
Work Site Environment: Noisy, Odours, Hot, Cold/refrigerated, Non-smoking
Transportation/Travel Information: transportation provided in and out of resort to Vancouver, once at the beginning of season, and once at the end of the season
Work Location Information: Staff accommodation included, rural community, Remote location
Essential Skills: Reading text, Document use, Oral communication, working with others, Job task planning and organizing,
Employer: Good Hope Cannery Fishing Lodge
How to Apply: Send resume, including specialties and cooking strengths, with references and cover letter, via email Attention: Allyson Price, Food and Beverage Director
Application Deadline Interviews
March 31, 2014 April 7 – 11, 2014
Due to the high volume of applicants, only short listed applicants will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Good Hope Cannery Fishing Lodge, and thank you for applying.