GOLF TOWN Employee Reviews

bean counters at head office who dont recognize the hard working people at store level
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2016
Their struggles were inevitable . Eye test is never done . Bean counters make decisions . Mid management personnel are know it all's . Good riddance GT . Worked with some great people at the store level there but management squeezed them all out . As stores close and people get fired , look in the mirror HQ .
Pros
fun in store environment
Cons
hard work goes unnoticed
Just dont every do it.
Departmental Sales Lead Hardlines Department (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 November 2016
Terrible unorganized place to work. Too much personal feelings as managers were married. No care for employees, seemed golfing in tournaments was a little more important than the health and well being of fellow associates. Being hospitalized does not constitute a reason to miss work. Left right after due to ridicule from managers via email and verbally. Glad to see this poison close.
Friendly Environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 September 2016
This was a great place to work and interact with new people on a daily basis. I learned how to improve my communication skills and the most enjoyable part of my job was watching my students learn new things.
Progressive and exciting company that wanted to grow everyday
NATIONAL SALES AND MERCHANDISE MGR PING APPAREL (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 July 2016
Great experience in making sales and coaching buyers and team in developing all aspects of the retail business, also fostering great relationships with vendor partners.
Lots of fun if you love golf but low pay!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langford, B.C.18 November 2013
On most days, the store would be ready for customers by the closing team however opening staff turn on sims, TV's and do a walk-around to make sure store is ready. As customers arrive, it is mandatory to greet them and continually check in with them while they visit even if they do not need assistance. Sales are a very high priority with this company. Hours received are sales driven! If you don't sell you will not get hours. If you sell, you get hours and the store reaches its daily, weekly and monthly targets, only the store management team gets the bonuses. I started at $11 per hour and after a year received a .36 cent raise! Employees of GT are not well paid. My fellow co-workers were one of the best parts of the job. We created a fun work enviroment and during the quiet times were always doing product testing and evaluations. The hardest part of this job is being on your feet for 7 hours a day with only ONE 30 minute paid break! The 2nd hardest part was having a manager who has no people skills. Best part of the job for me was getting that customer fully equipped with new golf gear, fitted out, and leaving the store with this huge smile as he or she had new clubs ready to play that first round.
Pros
discounts on products, test new equipment, mini-sales contests, getting customers into new equipment, co-workers
Cons
manager, on feet all day, no 15 min.breaks, one 30 min. unpaid break, poor training, no chance of advancement, poor wages
Awesome place to work!
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 March 2016
love this job and the atmosphere, coworkers and managers are very friendly. Nothing really hard about this job, very easy going but when there is work to do, there is a lot.
Great work place with energentic motivated team members
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Various Locations2 November 2015
Golf Town was an amazing place to work where I was able to develop my skills to become a better manager/employee. They have a tremendous support system that allowed you to feel safe inside the workplace. The people where what made the business what it is and is the reason that the company is the best in its field.
Love this job!
Cashier and Apparel (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 November 2015
A typical day at work consisted of helping customers with apparel and shoes, assisting costumers in returns and exchanges as well as item check out. When there were no customers I folded clothes and organized merchandise. My co-workers were what made work so enjoyable as they were always cheerful and fun to be around. The managers were also awesome!
Over all a good place to work for but some managers have there own non-constructive agenda
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Laird store Torontoo3 May 2012
As a pro shop manager I would start the day by assessing repairs to be done, equipment to be ordered and check Emails. As the hourly staff came in I would quide them to there duties and respond to any questions they would have . The G.M. was a sometimes difficult person to approch or know what his agenda was.
I don't remember any parts of my job-position as being hard or difficult and I enjoyed assisting any of the staff in there duties.
The most enjoyable part of my position is the satisfaction I gave our customers, some of whom I have delt with in the past.
Pros
great co-workers, seeing old customers, being in the golf buisness
Cons
long hours, but they where of my own choice, to comeplete the needs of the customer, over 600 extra hours in 2010&2011
Good job for a student but not for a full time position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2014
- Typical day: speak to customers about product features, make them try products, take care of merchandising, print new signs
- Skills I learned: selling techniques, merchandising
- Management: Dowtown Toronto store manager is the worst boss I've ever had.
- Co-worker: really good atmospher between coworkers as we are all golf lovers
- Hardest part of the job: hours without customers
- Most enjoyable part of the job: sales

A good job as student but not for a full time position.
Pros
Discount on products, coworkers
Cons
11.45$/h without comissions, Downtown Toronto store general manager
THIS COMPANY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS EMPLOYEES
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto17 September 2014
Management is on their own agenda here. It doesn't matter if you are hired part-time or full-time you get the hours you are given and don't bother asking or complaining. They have zero empathy and understanding when it comes to personal issues and will throw you under the bus if you make one mistake.
I enjoyed my fellow sales associates and it was fun to have the game of golf in common but the rest of the workplace is all about management and sales.
Pros
Mutual interest in the gome
Cons
Bad management, poor pay, no empathy for employees lives
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2014
You are scheduled in for 1 of 5 areas of the store for your shift. There is cash, apparel, footwear, clubs, and the pro shop. I am not familiar with the clubs or pro shop so I was always either on cash, apparel or footwear. The cashier would greet customers coming into the store and of course, cash out any purchases made that day and would also go through cash-out procedures at the end of the night. On downtime, the cashier would also fold clothes and set up new apparel on hangers etc. Footwear and apparel were basic customer service positions, helping customers with sizes and any other related needs the customer requires. I learned a lot about golf and became really interested in it. I didn't know much about golf when I first started working there, but then gain a big interest in it. Management was very helpful whenever I had a question and they were very easy to get along with. Co-workers were nice and also easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was not getting enough hours. I was in school also at the time but a couple shifts a week just wasn't cutting it for me at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was using the simulators on my break times.
Pros
really great discounts
Cons
not enough shifts
Fun Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 March 2015
Enjoyed the job and the customers. Learned a lot about golf. Well supervised management. Co workers were youthful and fun. Enjoyed working in apparel and talking to customers about golf.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Couldn't guarantee fulltime permanent hours
Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2015
Great management and growth opportunities. Lots of chances to learn about all the products that are associated with golf today.
Enjoyable place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines20 March 2012
Been a Great 5 years working for GolfTown. Great Perks and can be a Great place for a fresh out of College student, allowing them to fine tune their Management Skills.
Pros
great golf perks
Cons
tough on family life
Work Hard Play Hard
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 April 2014
Work hard play hard atmosphere. Great deals on clothes and equipment.
Golf 24/7 Helping people get better at the game
Department Sales Lead, Hardlines/Pro Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC20 August 2013
If you love golf and want to help people get better at the game, this is the place for you. Days can be very slow or very busy with a lot of club fittings or none at all do to weather, day of week etc...Overall an alright place of employment.
Pros
discount
Cons
slow, lack of motivation, nothing driving you
great place to work, great culture, awesome team.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 February 2013
I loved my time at Golf Town. Working with great people and having the opportunity to work and grow as a person all while helping people enjoy the great game of golf was a truly amazing experience.
Pros
helping people enjoy the great game of golf
Cons
retail hours can be tough to balance at times
Great environment to work in
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 December 2013
Work was very busy however the people i worked with were amazing. It was challenging but enjoyable to keep the lines of communication open between the sales team and the vendors. I truly enjoyed all the interaction this position gave me.
Pros
store discounts, staff lunches
Fun workplace in a fast paced environment, as well as friendly staff.
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2014
The staff was very friendly and enjoyable to work with, the customers were also very friendly and made work a great environment.

2.8