Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Overworked and underpaid
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
Golder has so many different business units and reorganizes the company so often that it appears really disorganized.
Some of the management seems good but the employee owned structure promotes people who buy shares, whether they are good or not
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
long hours, disorganized
Good leaders and teams
Senior EHS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2017
An employee owned EHS consulting firm provide all EHS services globally. Very knowledgeable and experienced leaders. Diversified employees bringing good ideas. Driving high quality services to clients. Coaching and developing opportunities available for all junior employees.
Professional environment
Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
Professional environment, management encourages work/life balance. Conservative approach to proposals. I did enjoy my one year there. There was a lot of opportunities for professional development and training. Health and safety was central to the company's operations.
No growth opportunities
Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2017
There is no difference between seasonal and full time employees. Both are sent home and laid off during slow season. If you are a full time employee you will be forced to resign.

You will be stuck doing the same thing throughout your career in Golder.
Pros
Cant think of anything positive.
good and friendly
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 April 2017
employee owned company. If you're a principal/associate you re included, and treated as important. If not, you are excluded, treated as someone just appearing for a job.
career development
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada28 March 2017
excellent environment
great experience
great knowledge
friend people to work with
career development
the hardest part in this job will be the work pressure one will experience during the busy season
Pros
career development
Cons
The best company in the field of soils.
EIT (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 January 2017
It is the best company in the field of soils, but not in the field of construction materials. They speak in different terminologies with concrete engineers.
Great team environment in a dynamic company
Ecologist/Biologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2017
Great people...intelligent and hard working. Lots of room for pursuing your own interest and specialty. The challenges include lack of communication between offices as this firm is global.
Great company to work for
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
Worked with a big group of hard working guys. Gots lots of work done with a time efficiency. Great benefits and room or development
Prductive
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 December 2016
Fun exciting jobs that keeps it interesting from barge work to land work and you get to work with big machines fun place to work bad management.
Pros
fee lunches
Cons
bad supervisors
Decent management, many changes occuring
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Overall I would say Golder is a great place to work. Work/life balance is generally encouraged as we work 37.5 hour weeks. There is many great people. Management of my team was great, but other teams could be better. However the company recently hired a new CEO and there has been a large amount of layoffs and turnovers. Morale has become very low.
Pros
37.5 hour work weeks, free lunches, great benefits
Cons
No position growth, poor management
Not fun place to work. Felt like prison. Warden constantly spying on staff
Accounts Payable Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
Initially when I started there it felt like a family owned company, with Management concerned over the health and welfare of the staff. No over time required, or constantly being monitored as to your daily activities.

After the corporate restructuring, the workload tripled, less staff and monitored, even when you were entitled to your breaks or lunch.

All my co-workers feared that if you did not jump when told to, you would be out the door.
Pros
When training sessions conducted, free lunch.
Cons
Every week long hours. Short staffed and overworked.
Enjoyable work
Junior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority. hot ladies new hires.
Pros
great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Overall a good company to work for
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 June 2016
Was good. Although couldn't see much chance to advance.Work culture was definitely one of the best parts of working there.
Had good and bad points
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 May 2016
like any workplace had its good and bad points and people. Overall pretty good despite their poor business sense cost alot of good people thier jobs
Do youself a favor and stay away from this place!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 May 2016
Don't listen to the Positive reviews about Golder Associates. They are more than likely false and created by their dwindling marketing team.

I don't know what else to say besides the fact that this company/organization went through its own very hard hit recession the past couple of years and had to fine tune their staff on a global level. They let go thousands of its hard working employees. Most of these people invested their lives into this company with hard work, company shares, devotion, etc to only see it disappear. There was and probably still is very bad attitudes all around with everything worried about their job security - I don't blame them.

Unless you're a Principal or an Associate, don't expect a good benefits package either. It's on par with any small-medium company.

Management is the weakest aspect of this company owned organization. Management should be able to communicate directly with their employees to ensure their needs are met, both work and personal related. There is too much finger pointing when somethings goes array.

My advice, do yourself a favor and find work somewhere else. I can't be anymore honest than that.

The way this company treats its people it absolutely wrong. Sure, you'll find nice people in the workplace just like any other place, just don't let that blindside you into thinking this company is great.

Read all the negative reviews on Glassdoor.ca about this company because they are all true.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Paid BBQ's
Fantastic Company
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Canada13 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Golder Associates. It is an incredibly well run company which takes care of it's staff. I learned supervisor skills as well as how to work well as part of a large team. The hardest part of the job was living in hotels and working in different cities often but it really helped me grow as a person and I would do it again if I could. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a group of people with different skill sets whom I could learn from.
Pros
Being able to work outdoors.
Cons
Difficult physical labour.
Love the people
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
I learned that one company cant have 65% of there income based soley on oil sands profit. This is why the office had to nearly cut half there staff :(
Run as if it were a project, rather than an enterprise.
Junior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 April 2016
Company had just gone through a "slimming down" process due to the slow economy. Many people, mainly the younger staff, were just happy to be employed.

I disagree with their management style in that they are 100% focused on "chargeability" or basically, is a client paying for the work you're doing right now. Any downtime was seen as a negative and you were encouraged to use banked time if you had no chargeable work. With that, they feel that productivity and chargeability are the same thing. Productivity is my responsibility, chargeability, should be my managers responsibility. If I don't have any chargeable tasks, I should be given other, still productive, things to do and not just sent home.

I feel that this really hindered the development of young staff in that they're missing out on opportunities to tag along with more senior staff and see how things are done at the level above them. They are very reluctant to train you on new things because while you're being trained, that time is non-chargeable. You end up being stuck at a certain point, or on a certain project where you aren't able to develop your skills. Even when one person is overloaded with work they don't move people up because "it's better to have one person at 140% chargeability, than two people at 70%." They'll often dangle the "moving up" carrot out in front of you to keep you engaged, but you begin to see their tactics once your initially planned date of advancement is 6 months past and there's no talk of things changing.

I'm not sure if it's just the Saskatoon office, but it seems like someone asked,
  more... "how do we make more money?" and the easiest most basic answer they came up with was "make sure our employees are chargeable all the time." This will make the company money, yes, but it does not add value. There will soon come a time when they can't compete because while being cheap, all their staff is under-trained, and under-experienced.  less
Pros
Good benefits package and decent salary for the work I was doing.
Cons
Young engineers and technicians are leaving the company, there are no opportunities for them to advance in the near future.
Wonderful place to work
Environmental Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2016
Great culture and working environment, amazing people to work with. Always a safe working environment, always willing to help grow employees. Great team work in all aspects.