Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Decent management, many changes occuring
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Overall I would say Golder is a great place to work. Work/life balance is generally encouraged as we work 37.5 hour weeks. There is many great people. Management of my team was great, but other teams could be better. However the company recently hired a new CEO and there has been a large amount of layoffs and turnovers. Morale has become very low.
Pros
37.5 hour work weeks, free lunches, great benefits
Cons
No position growth, poor management
Not fun place to work. Felt like prison. Warden constantly spying on staff
Accounts Payable Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
Initially when I started there it felt like a family owned company, with Management concerned over the health and welfare of the staff. No over time required, or constantly being monitored as to your daily activities.

After the corporate restructuring, the workload tripled, less staff and monitored, even when you were entitled to your breaks or lunch.

All my co-workers feared that if you did not jump when told to, you would be out the door.
Pros
When training sessions conducted, free lunch.
Cons
Every week long hours. Short staffed and overworked.
Good Company with Some Challenges
Senior Groundwater Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
Golder is a good place to work, particularly for ambitious younger professionals. The company culture was the strongest advantage of the company for me when I started, but it is mostly gone now. It is still not the soul-grinding chaos of some other consulting firms I have worked with, but lacks flexibility and support for non-linear thinking, as most large companies do. At least in some offices, they have suffered in the oil slump, with many layoffs and morale problems. The compensation and benefits are good, and advancement (see ambitious younger professionals, above) can be good. Management works hard at keeping the company afloat, and I am impressed with the new CEO. Work-life balance is often addressed in communications, but in practice there is an unwritten expectation to tip that balance far over to the work side. The HSE culture is somewhat punitive. I would work there again.
Pros
Compensation/Benefits; Global Network; Respected Company
Cons
Inflexible; Draconian HSE Culture; Layoffs
Enjoyable work
Junior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority. hot ladies new hires.
Pros
great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Do youself a favor and stay away from this place!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 May 2016
Don't listen to the Positive reviews about Golder Associates. They are more than likely false and created by their dwindling marketing team.

I don't know what else to say besides the fact that this company/organization went through its own very hard hit recession the past couple of years and had to fine tune their staff on a global level. They let go thousands of its hard working employees. Most of these people invested their lives into this company with hard work, company shares, devotion, etc to only see it disappear. There was and probably still is very bad attitudes all around with everything worried about their job security - I don't blame them.

Unless you're a Principal or an Associate, don't expect a good benefits package either. It's on par with any small-medium company.

Management is the weakest aspect of this company owned organization. Management should be able to communicate directly with their employees to ensure their needs are met, both work and personal related. There is too much finger pointing when somethings goes array.

My advice, do yourself a favor and find work somewhere else. I can't be anymore honest than that.

The way this company treats its people it absolutely wrong. Sure, you'll find nice people in the workplace just like any other place, just don't let that blindside you into thinking this company is great.

Read all the negative reviews on Glassdoor.ca about this company because they are all true.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Paid BBQ's
Beware - Things are not what they seem
EHS (Former Employee) –  Edmonton3 October 2015
I was lured to this company with the expectation of a great work culture and work-life balance that was second to none. What a bunch of absolute rubbish!
First, there is only a work-life balance if the work is slow. If the work is slow, then people get laid off. If there is lots of work, you are expected to perform regardless of the number of hours or days involved or number of days out of town.
As for the group culture, the only way you will fit in is to plant a smile on your face and do everything you are told without questioning your instructions and without every saying no due to personal circumstances.
Management is aloof, elitist and unapproachable. Our group had 15 people when I started. Within a year and a half, 5 were fired for dubious reasons, mostly because they didn't 'fit in'.
Be very very careful with this company. They are not at all what they sell themselves to be.
Great company to work for
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
Worked with a big group of hard working guys. Gots lots of work done with a time efficiency. Great benefits and room or development
Prductive
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 December 2016
Fun exciting jobs that keeps it interesting from barge work to land work and you get to work with big machines fun place to work bad management.
Pros
fee lunches
Cons
bad supervisors
Overall a good company to work for
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 June 2016
Was good. Although couldn't see much chance to advance.Work culture was definitely one of the best parts of working there.
Run as if it were a project, rather than an enterprise.
Junior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 April 2016
Company had just gone through a "slimming down" process due to the slow economy. Many people, mainly the younger staff, were just happy to be employed.

I disagree with their management style in that they are 100% focused on "chargeability" or basically, is a client paying for the work you're doing right now. Any downtime was seen as a negative and you were encouraged to use banked time if you had no chargeable work. With that, they feel that productivity and chargeability are the same thing. Productivity is my responsibility, chargeability, should be my managers responsibility. If I don't have any chargeable tasks, I should be given other, still productive, things to do and not just sent home.

I feel that this really hindered the development of young staff in that they're missing out on opportunities to tag along with more senior staff and see how things are done at the level above them. They are very reluctant to train you on new things because while you're being trained, that time is non-chargeable. You end up being stuck at a certain point, or on a certain project where you aren't able to develop your skills. Even when one person is overloaded with work they don't move people up because "it's better to have one person at 140% chargeability, than two people at 70%." They'll often dangle the "moving up" carrot out in front of you to keep you engaged, but you begin to see their tactics once your initially planned date of advancement is 6 months past and there's no talk of things changing.

I'm not sure if it's just the Saskatoon office, but it seems like someone asked,
  more... "how do we make more money?" and the easiest most basic answer they came up with was "make sure our employees are chargeable all the time." This will make the company money, yes, but it does not add value. There will soon come a time when they can't compete because while being cheap, all their staff is under-trained, and under-experienced.  less
Pros
Good benefits package and decent salary for the work I was doing.
Cons
Young engineers and technicians are leaving the company, there are no opportunities for them to advance in the near future.
Fantastic Company
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Canada13 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Golder Associates. It is an incredibly well run company which takes care of it's staff. I learned supervisor skills as well as how to work well as part of a large team. The hardest part of the job was living in hotels and working in different cities often but it really helped me grow as a person and I would do it again if I could. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a group of people with different skill sets whom I could learn from.
Pros
Being able to work outdoors.
Cons
Difficult physical labour.
Non
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2015
I was disappointed with the company's false claims about being different and striving to make the workplace a better and healthy environment. Salaries are market average, there is no job security (two rounds of lay offs in less than one year), benefits are standard and there is a visible distance between management and staff.
Wonderful place to work
Environmental Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2016
Great culture and working environment, amazing people to work with. Always a safe working environment, always willing to help grow employees. Great team work in all aspects.
No job security
coordinator (Current Employee) –  calgary23 November 2015
Golder was initially a great place to work, but over the years the management structure has declined making job security almost non-existent. There is no trust within the company.
Cons
no sense of community
Had good and bad points
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 May 2016
like any workplace had its good and bad points and people. Overall pretty good despite their poor business sense cost alot of good people thier jobs
Good Company to work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Canada5 January 2016
I worked in that company for about 8 years. These days this company is going through some financial challenges and losing so many talented people.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Average Salary
Very brilliant coworkers
Air Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2016
• Analysis of manufacturing operations to understand their processes to model air emissions and performance;
• Prepared Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) as well as Emission Summary and Dispersion Modeling (ESDM) reports for mines and other industrial operations; and,
• Incorporated the Ontario Ministry of Environment Climate Change (MOECC) technical guidance documents and US EPA Air Pollution-42 Emission Factors to calculate emission rates and prepare emission Inventories for various manufacturing and industrial processes.
Pros
Company has a great reputation
Cons
Company not doing so well lately
A good place to work
accounts receivable clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2016
Very friendly work environment where you feel a sense of belonging.
Employees work as a team and the management interacts freely with junior staff and consultation between management and other staff is the norm, I love the place
Love the people
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
I learned that one company cant have 65% of there income based soley on oil sands profit. This is why the office had to nearly cut half there staff :(
Excellent culture; difficult to move and make changes
Leader - Project Management Office (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2014
Golder is an employee owned company. This has the incentive-benefit of in essence working for yourself, as shares in the company provide an annual return. The major shareholders are the Principals and Associates, who act as a "shadow management". This makes it difficult to keep the company nimble and enable changes.

As Leader - Project Management Office, I am responsible to develop the project management skills within Golder, globally. This includes training and development for our PMs, Organisational Support, developing knowledge, tools and systems and developing global hubs of expertise.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting wiht my teams and co-workers, a truly splendid group of people committed to the future of the company.

The hardest part of my job is to maintain focussed and positive in an increasingly difficult work environment where project management is seen as periphery to the main technical thrust of the company.
Pros
Great teams; good benefits
Cons
Frustrating management systems

2.9