Golder Associates Employee Reviews in Canada

Fantastic Company
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 13, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Golder Associates. It is an incredibly well run company which takes care of it's staff. I learned supervisor skills as well as how to work well as part of a large team. The hardest part of the job was living in hotels and working in different cities often but it really helped me grow as a person and I would do it again if I could. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a group of people with different skill sets whom I could learn from.
Pros
Being able to work outdoors.
Cons
Difficult physical labour.
Very brilliant coworkers
Air Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 29, 2016
• Analysis of manufacturing operations to understand their processes to model air emissions and performance;
• Prepared Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) as well as Emission Summary and Dispersion Modeling (ESDM) reports for mines and other industrial operations; and,
• Incorporated the Ontario Ministry of Environment Climate Change (MOECC) technical guidance documents and US EPA Air Pollution-42 Emission Factors to calculate emission rates and prepare emission Inventories for various manufacturing and industrial processes.
Pros
Company has a great reputation
Cons
Company not doing so well lately
Had good and bad points
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 29, 2016
like any workplace had its good and bad points and people. Overall pretty good despite their poor business sense cost alot of good people thier jobs
Wonderful place to work
Environmental Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 24, 2016
Great culture and working environment, amazing people to work with. Always a safe working environment, always willing to help grow employees. Great team work in all aspects.
Good Company with Some Challenges
Senior Groundwater Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
Golder is a good place to work, particularly for ambitious younger professionals. The company culture was the strongest advantage of the company for me when I started, but it is mostly gone now. It is still not the soul-grinding chaos of some other consulting firms I have worked with, but lacks flexibility and support for non-linear thinking, as most large companies do. At least in some offices, they have suffered in the oil slump, with many layoffs and morale problems. The compensation and benefits are good, and advancement (see ambitious younger professionals, above) can be good. Management works hard at keeping the company afloat, and I am impressed with the new CEO. Work-life balance is often addressed in communications, but in practice there is an unwritten expectation to tip that balance far over to the work side. The HSE culture is somewhat punitive. I would work there again.
Pros
Compensation/Benefits; Global Network; Respected Company
Cons
Inflexible; Draconian HSE Culture; Layoffs
Overall a good company to work for
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 20, 2016
Was good. Although couldn't see much chance to advance.Work culture was definitely one of the best parts of working there.
Love the people
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 4, 2016
I learned that one company cant have 65% of there income based soley on oil sands profit. This is why the office had to nearly cut half there staff :(
Receptionist
Reception/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 5, 2015
I worked there for about two years. Loved my job there. I answered phones and greeted clients. Filing and typing up reports and letters was also part of my duties. I was also responsible for keeping track of the technicians - they had to sign in and out at my desk. Loved the people and the environment. We had a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with 27 years later.
Pros
Loved the people i worked with
Cons
Didn't really have any
Good company, on the surface anyways
Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2015
Tough to fault since the axe fell pretty quickly once the economy began to suffer. Cutting front line employees didn't seem like the best idea to make up multi million dollar shortfalls but that happens when the "old boys club" makes the decisions.
A good place to work
accounts receivable clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very friendly work environment where you feel a sense of belonging.
Employees work as a team and the management interacts freely with junior staff and consultation between management and other staff is the norm, I love the place
Good Company to work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  CanadaJanuary 5, 2016
I worked in that company for about 8 years. These days this company is going through some financial challenges and losing so many talented people.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Average Salary
Very supportive environment and nice perks
Program Administrator - Marketing and Proposals (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 2, 2015
Great place to work with supportive management and morale. Good amount of vacation and personal days. Great family/life balance. Very big on health and safety. Amazing coworkers. Very in depth training.
Pros
Summer weekly BBQ onsite, good amount vacation and personal days
Cons
Lay offs
Beware - Things are not what they seem
EHS (Former Employee) –  EdmontonOctober 3, 2015
I was lured to this company with the expectation of a great work culture and work-life balance that was second to none. What a bunch of absolute rubbish!
First, there is only a work-life balance if the work is slow. If the work is slow, then people get laid off. If there is lots of work, you are expected to perform regardless of the number of hours or days involved or number of days out of town.
As for the group culture, the only way you will fit in is to plant a smile on your face and do everything you are told without questioning your instructions and without every saying no due to personal circumstances.
Management is aloof, elitist and unapproachable. Our group had 15 people when I started. Within a year and a half, 5 were fired for dubious reasons, mostly because they didn't 'fit in'.
Be very very careful with this company. They are not at all what they sell themselves to be.
No job security
coordinator (Current Employee) –  calgaryNovember 23, 2015
Golder was initially a great place to work, but over the years the management structure has declined making job security almost non-existent. There is no trust within the company.
Cons
no sense of community
Great Company, going through financial problems
Payable (Current Employee) –  TorontoAugust 26, 2015
Golder has layed off well over 500 people to date and the lay off continue.

This is not the place to seek employment right now. Please stay away until the new CEO gets a better handle on the finance or you will be sorry you did not listen.
Pros
Nice people to work with, very smart and team oriented
Cons
very unstable environment mass layoff since 2013 - now
Non
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2015
I was disappointed with the company's false claims about being different and striving to make the workplace a better and healthy environment. Salaries are market average, there is no job security (two rounds of lay offs in less than one year), benefits are standard and there is a visible distance between management and staff.
Mass Lay offs
Chargable employee (Current Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 19, 2015
Watch out, layoffs continue and do not seem to be anywhere near over. This company is very unstable right now. There is a new CEO and there seems to be a great deal of change going on.
Do youself a favor and stay away from this place!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 19, 2016
Don't listen to the Positive reviews about Golder Associates. They are more than likely false and created by their dwindling marketing team.

I don't know what else to say besides the fact that this company/organization went through its own very hard hit recession the past couple of years and had to fine tune their staff on a global level. They let go thousands of its hard working employees. Most of these people invested their lives into this company with hard work, company shares, devotion, etc to only see it disappear. There was and probably still is very bad attitudes all around with everything worried about their job security - I don't blame them.

Unless you're a Principal or an Associate, don't expect a good benefits package either. It's on par with any small-medium company.

Management is the weakest aspect of this company owned organization. Management should be able to communicate directly with their employees to ensure their needs are met, both work and personal related. There is too much finger pointing when somethings goes array.

My advice, do yourself a favor and find work somewhere else. I can't be anymore honest than that.

The way this company treats its people it absolutely wrong. Sure, you'll find nice people in the workplace just like any other place, just don't let that blindside you into thinking this company is great.

Read all the negative reviews on Glassdoor.ca about this company because they are all true.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Paid BBQ's
Dynamic and interesting, management can be sketchy.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CalgaryFebruary 21, 2015
i worked in the Calgary office for 4 years. My first position was great, fast paced, I was left to my own devices but was either micromanaged or wasn't managed enough!
When I was "reorganized" to a different division, my manager was a NIGHTMARE! I wound up quitting soon after.
Pros
great human resources and benefits
Cons
meetings meetings meetings!!!
Most Horrible company I ever worked for
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 7, 2015
Very unethical Manager.... I was in accounting department, Edmonton. My supervisor was a single Mom. As soon as I joined she was suspended for 5 weeks.. I heard she is terminated but she came back... scared... anyways...further story is that... As my husband did some business to sell laptops and cell phones... she was continuously after me to get at cheap rate... she use to say "I am very cheap person"... well indeed she is... lol...okay that story is that after she paid... she laid me off for no reason... like she had no moral or ethics... ... wont suggest anyone to work there. She made me work so much and even didn't allow me to put much of my time...
Pros
nothing
Cons
supervisor is a clown

2.9