Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Decent management, many changes occuring
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2016
Overall I would say Golder is a great place to work. Work/life balance is generally encouraged as we work 37.5 hour weeks. There is many great people. Management of my team was great, but other teams could be better. However the company recently hired a new CEO and there has been a large amount of layoffs and turnovers. Morale has become very low.
Pros
37.5 hour work weeks, free lunches, great benefits
Cons
No position growth, poor management
Not fun place to work. Felt like prison. Warden constantly spying on staff
Accounts Payable Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
Initially when I started there it felt like a family owned company, with Management concerned over the health and welfare of the staff. No over time required, or constantly being monitored as to your daily activities.

After the corporate restructuring, the workload tripled, less staff and monitored, even when you were entitled to your breaks or lunch.

All my co-workers feared that if you did not jump when told to, you would be out the door.
Pros
When training sessions conducted, free lunch.
Cons
Every week long hours. Short staffed and overworked.
Great team environment in a dynamic company
Ecologist/Biologist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2017
Great people...intelligent and hard working. Lots of room for pursuing your own interest and specialty. The challenges include lack of communication between offices as this firm is global.
The best company in the field of soils.
EIT (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 January 2017
It is the best company in the field of soils, but not in the field of construction materials. They speak in different terminologies with concrete engineers.
Prductive
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 December 2016
Fun exciting jobs that keeps it interesting from barge work to land work and you get to work with big machines fun place to work bad management.
Pros
fee lunches
Cons
bad supervisors
Enjoyable work
Junior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority. hot ladies new hires.
Pros
great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Great company to work for
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
Worked with a big group of hard working guys. Gots lots of work done with a time efficiency. Great benefits and room or development
Fantastic Company
Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Canada13 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Golder Associates. It is an incredibly well run company which takes care of it's staff. I learned supervisor skills as well as how to work well as part of a large team. The hardest part of the job was living in hotels and working in different cities often but it really helped me grow as a person and I would do it again if I could. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a group of people with different skill sets whom I could learn from.
Pros
Being able to work outdoors.
Cons
Difficult physical labour.
Very brilliant coworkers
Air Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2016
• Analysis of manufacturing operations to understand their processes to model air emissions and performance;
• Prepared Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) as well as Emission Summary and Dispersion Modeling (ESDM) reports for mines and other industrial operations; and,
• Incorporated the Ontario Ministry of Environment Climate Change (MOECC) technical guidance documents and US EPA Air Pollution-42 Emission Factors to calculate emission rates and prepare emission Inventories for various manufacturing and industrial processes.
Pros
Company has a great reputation
Cons
Company not doing so well lately
Overall a good company to work for
Lab/Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 June 2016
Was good. Although couldn't see much chance to advance.Work culture was definitely one of the best parts of working there.
Had good and bad points
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 May 2016
like any workplace had its good and bad points and people. Overall pretty good despite their poor business sense cost alot of good people thier jobs
Love the people
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
I learned that one company cant have 65% of there income based soley on oil sands profit. This is why the office had to nearly cut half there staff :(
Wonderful place to work
Environmental Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2016
Great culture and working environment, amazing people to work with. Always a safe working environment, always willing to help grow employees. Great team work in all aspects.
Receptionist
Reception/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 November 2015
I worked there for about two years. Loved my job there. I answered phones and greeted clients. Filing and typing up reports and letters was also part of my duties. I was also responsible for keeping track of the technicians - they had to sign in and out at my desk. Loved the people and the environment. We had a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with 27 years later.
Pros
Loved the people i worked with
Cons
Didn't really have any
Good Company with Some Challenges
Senior Groundwater Scientist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
Golder is a good place to work, particularly for ambitious younger professionals. The company culture was the strongest advantage of the company for me when I started, but it is mostly gone now. It is still not the soul-grinding chaos of some other consulting firms I have worked with, but lacks flexibility and support for non-linear thinking, as most large companies do. At least in some offices, they have suffered in the oil slump, with many layoffs and morale problems. The compensation and benefits are good, and advancement (see ambitious younger professionals, above) can be good. Management works hard at keeping the company afloat, and I am impressed with the new CEO. Work-life balance is often addressed in communications, but in practice there is an unwritten expectation to tip that balance far over to the work side. The HSE culture is somewhat punitive. I would work there again.
Pros
Compensation/Benefits; Global Network; Respected Company
Cons
Inflexible; Draconian HSE Culture; Layoffs
Good company, on the surface anyways
Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 December 2015
Tough to fault since the axe fell pretty quickly once the economy began to suffer. Cutting front line employees didn't seem like the best idea to make up multi million dollar shortfalls but that happens when the "old boys club" makes the decisions.
A good place to work
accounts receivable clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2016
Very friendly work environment where you feel a sense of belonging.
Employees work as a team and the management interacts freely with junior staff and consultation between management and other staff is the norm, I love the place
Very supportive environment and nice perks
Program Administrator - Marketing and Proposals (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2015
Great place to work with supportive management and morale. Good amount of vacation and personal days. Great family/life balance. Very big on health and safety. Amazing coworkers. Very in depth training.
Pros
Summer weekly BBQ onsite, good amount vacation and personal days
Cons
Lay offs
Beware - Things are not what they seem
EHS (Former Employee) –  Edmonton3 October 2015
I was lured to this company with the expectation of a great work culture and work-life balance that was second to none. What a bunch of absolute rubbish!
First, there is only a work-life balance if the work is slow. If the work is slow, then people get laid off. If there is lots of work, you are expected to perform regardless of the number of hours or days involved or number of days out of town.
As for the group culture, the only way you will fit in is to plant a smile on your face and do everything you are told without questioning your instructions and without every saying no due to personal circumstances.
Management is aloof, elitist and unapproachable. Our group had 15 people when I started. Within a year and a half, 5 were fired for dubious reasons, mostly because they didn't 'fit in'.
Be very very careful with this company. They are not at all what they sell themselves to be.
Great Company, going through financial problems
Payable (Current Employee) –  Toronto26 August 2015
Golder has layed off well over 500 people to date and the lay off continue.

This is not the place to seek employment right now. Please stay away until the new CEO gets a better handle on the finance or you will be sorry you did not listen.
Pros
Nice people to work with, very smart and team oriented
Cons
very unstable environment mass layoff since 2013 - now

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golder Associates. Our community is ready to answer.