Golder Associates Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Proceed with Caution
Accountant (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKOctober 5, 2015
I started at this company in 2008. At this time, the company was at its apex of profitability. With revenues flowing in through office doors all across the country (Canada), pressures to stay chargeable and busy were not as great. Employees were encouraged to upgrade skills or engage in professional development on company dime. It was a great time to be at Golder. When the price of oil started to slip drastically in 2013 I witnessed first hand the squeeze starting to take hold on the company, particularly in central Canada (Prairies Region) where I worked. Then, in November of 2014, 500 people were layed off across Canada one of which was myself. And this despite being very chargeable. My own specific reason was a disagreement with a newly appointed Office Manager who exhibited very real signs of autism and a complete inability to lead people. In any case,it worked out for the best as my shares were liquidated prior to what I've heard was a 30% drop from 2014 to 2015. I sold out at $50 and they have since dropped to $38!! I've heard through former colleagues some of the larger offices are hacking jobs left and right (Fall 2015).

For me it's worked out good, as I have since found gainful employment and don't miss some of the uneducated used car salesman Associates and Principals that work out the Calgary and Edmonton Offices (EHS!!).
Excellent culture; difficult to move and make changes
Leader - Project Management Office (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 5, 2014
Pros: great teams; good benefits
Cons: frustrating management systems
Golder is an employee owned company. This has the incentive-benefit of in essence working for yourself, as shares in the company provide an annual return. The major shareholders are the Principals and Associates, who act as a "shadow management". This makes it difficult to keep the company nimble and enable changes.

As Leader - Project Management Office, I am responsible to develop the project management skills within Golder, globally. This includes training and development for our PMs, Organisational Support, developing knowledge, tools and systems and developing global hubs of expertise.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting wiht my teams and co-workers, a truly splendid group of people committed to the future of the company.

The hardest part of my job is to maintain focussed and positive in an increasingly difficult work environment where project management is seen as periphery to the main technical thrust of the company.
Beware - Things are not what they seem
EHS (Former Employee), EdmontonOctober 3, 2015
I was lured to this company with the expectation of a great work culture and work-life balance that was second to none. What a bunch of absolute rubbish!
First, there is only a work-life balance if the work is slow. If the work is slow, then people get laid off. If there is lots of work, you are expected to perform regardless of the number of hours or days involved or number of days out of town.
As for the group culture, the only way you will fit in is to plant a smile on your face and do everything you are told without questioning your instructions and without every saying no due to personal circumstances.
Management is aloof, elitist and unapproachable. Our group had 15 people when I started. Within a year and a half, 5 were fired for dubious reasons, mostly because they didn't 'fit in'.
Be very very careful with this company. They are not at all what they sell themselves to be.
RUN AWAY!!! YOU CAN DO BETTER!!!
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), WhitbyOctober 7, 2014
Pros: no pros stay away
Cons: working there in the first place!!
I had the misfortune of working in their pavement lab in Whitby. I was trained for a grand total of 6 hours on different pavement analysis tests (which take months to learn properly BTW) and then left with one other employee who started the day before me to run the entire pavement lab (I wish I was joking) I was training him on tests my first day! I worked 11 hours my first day with a 15 minute lunch....I have NEVER worked for such an unorganized and frankly dangerous company. I was not provided proper PPE or training to conduct my job. Having previously worked in a lab I know how one is suppose to run an this one was a nightmare. They mostly hire on contract and WILL work you like dogs.

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME WHEN I SAY STAY AWAY FROM THE LABS!! STAY AWAY FROM THE HOLE COMPANY THE PLACE IS A JOKE!
By far the worst place I've ever worked
Environmental tech (Former Employee), Ottawa, ontOctober 26, 2014
Pros: very safety oriented, decent pay
Cons: micromanaged, intimidation, dishonest
Micro manged... Would even call my cell if I went to the washroom without asking. They tried to get me to come in after I had surgery (not work related) while I was short term disability. Constant intimidation an treats to fire if you don't do what they say. Kept trying to get me to work out of town ( upto 4 hours away), when that wasn't even mentioned in the interview. Upper management is horrible...constantly making employees cry , making them upset. Watched over my shoulder and made me chose and write answers for the 50 best company survey. What a joke... No wonder they made the cut when managment gets to fill out the survey instead of the employee.
Most Horrible company I ever worked for
Project Accountant (Former Employee), EdmontonJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: supervisor is a clown
Very unethical Manager.... I was in accounting department, Edmonton. My supervisor was a single Mom. As soon as I joined she was suspended for 5 weeks.. I heard she is terminated but she came back... scared... anyways...further story is that... As my husband did some business to sell laptops and cell phones... she was continuously after me to get at cheap rate... she use to say "I am very cheap person"... well indeed she is... lol...okay that story is that after she paid... she laid me off for no reason... like she had no moral or ethics... ... wont suggest anyone to work there. She made me work so much and even didn't allow me to put much of my time...
Very brilliant coworkers
Air Quality Intern (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: Company has a great reputation
Cons: Company not doing so well lately
• Analysis of manufacturing operations to understand their processes to model air emissions and performance;
• Prepared Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA) as well as Emission Summary and Dispersion Modeling (ESDM) reports for mines and other industrial operations; and,
• Incorporated the Ontario Ministry of Environment Climate Change (MOECC) technical guidance documents and US EPA Air Pollution-42 Emission Factors to calculate emission rates and prepare emission Inventories for various manufacturing and industrial processes.
Receptionist
Reception/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 5, 2015
Pros: Loved the people i worked with
Cons: Didn't really have any
I worked there for about two years. Loved my job there. I answered phones and greeted clients. Filing and typing up reports and letters was also part of my duties. I was also responsible for keeping track of the technicians - they had to sign in and out at my desk. Loved the people and the environment. We had a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends that I still keep in touch with 27 years later.
Awesome environment with lots to do
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 9, 2012
Pros: awesome coffee machine
-Days went by very fast as they were enjoyable and productive.
-I learned a lot about working with clients and respecting them.
-Management was flexible and relaxing to work for.
-Co-workers were fun to work with as the mentality in the office was work harder, play harder.
-The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job were the stressful and challenging situations that had to be mitigated immediately.
Productive place with plenty of learning opportunities
BC Region Continuous Improvement Leader (Current Employee), Burnaby, british ColumbiaJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: gym on site and flexible schedule
Cons: meeting over lunch time is happening all the time
Very fast paced environment and busy.
Gained self confidence and management skills
People in general are nice although they do not interact to much with each other
The challenge is to get people engaged and participating in improvement projects
Emphasis on employee safety
Shipper/ Receiver, Mailroom & Customs Coordinator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 1, 2014
Pros: weekly barbecues in the summer. company offered varied sporting activities.
Cons: i'm a morning person. i could not start work until 9:00 a.m.
I was allowed to set standards & procedures for the mailroom & shipping/receiving.
Daily job functions allow me to inter-act with staff & management of over 500 employees.
I like to solve & follow-up on situations that may arise.
geotechnical group in Calgary
former geotechnical engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 25, 2012
Pros: big name, worldwide presence
Cons: poor management, does not recognize talent, do not care about employee professional growth, no or little mentorship
It is in a mess. There is one big name and the rest is empty. This is not a place for professional growth. This company is for the principal, by the principal and the rest of the staff has no say, no value, no recognition.
Great Place to work friendly environment
Geotechnical Engineering Technologist, C.E.T (Former Employee), Whitby, ONApril 14, 2014
Pros: great holiday get togethers for families and employees, great benefits
Cons: potentially long hours
Well known established company.
Accomodating for familiy needs and doctor's appointments.
Coworkers friendly, hard working individuals.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the field placements all over Ontario.
Over worked under paid
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2013
Cons: long hours, no parking, no employee rewards or appreciation, did not pay for education or courses, poor health benefits
Golder did not provide any flexibility, even though they promoted work life balance they did not follow through. I was in a car accident on January 14th 2013 and they were not accommodating. My manager was not punctual and attentive.
Great Company, going through financial problems
Payable (Current Employee), TorontoAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Nice people to work with, very smart and team oriented
Cons: very unstable environment mass layoff since 2013 - now
Golder has layed off well over 500 people to date and the lay off continue.

This is not the place to seek employment right now. Please stay away until the new CEO gets a better handle on the finance or you will be sorry you did not listen.
Dynamic and interesting, management can be sketchy.
Coordinator (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great human resources and benefits
Cons: meetings meetings meetings!!!
i worked in the Calgary office for 4 years. My first position was great, fast paced, I was left to my own devices but was either micromanaged or wasn't managed enough!
When I was "reorganized" to a different division, my manager was a NIGHTMARE! I wound up quitting soon after.
Very supportive environment and nice perks
Program Administrator - Marketing and Proposals (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 2, 2015
Pros: Summer weekly BBQ onsite, good amount vacation and personal days
Cons: Lay offs
Great place to work with supportive management and morale. Good amount of vacation and personal days. Great family/life balance. Very big on health and safety. Amazing coworkers. Very in depth training.
productive and highly professional environment
Environmental Scientist-Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2013
Pros: invest its employees
Cons: hourly wages not as competitive as other companies
Golder is a team-oriented company. it is easy to get help from co-workers. the work require lots of organization. the hardest part is that procedures keep changing so employees has to stay up to date.
Non
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2015
I was disappointed with the company's false claims about being different and striving to make the workplace a better and healthy environment. Salaries are market average, there is no job security (two rounds of lay offs in less than one year), benefits are standard and there is a visible distance between management and staff.
I feel good in the work placement where gym is there
Volunteer (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaApril 3, 2013
Pros: free luch
Cons: long hour
I like most of the job that i work for espicially with Golder Associates because ii is a new environment new field like Backup employee expenses in BST, year end changes all the files teach me where to file and take them as a requirement i was given