Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Work/life balance unrealistic
Geotechnical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 February 2018
Instead of having enough staff they'd rather tell their employees to work 12 hour days and weekends to get the work done. If the pay was decent it wouldn't be so bad but with making $2 above minimum wage its not worth the amount of stress, responsibility, and time that the job requires.

This used to be a good company to work for before they restructured it. They employ as little staff as possible and expect everyone to work more to compensate for it, yet they don't show any kind of gratitude when it comes to raises. Going up 30 cents an hour per year is not enough.
Pros
Cake day once a month
Cons
Low pay, no work/life balance mentality
Not great at this time
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2018
-No raises or career advancement in the last 4 years
-employee morale is low
-expected to be willing to travel at last minutes notice
-recent cutting of benefits and any travel perks
-no job security
-treated as expendable
Used to be great
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2018
Golder used to be a great place to work and there was a time when I would have given it 5 stars - now, if I could give it 0, I would. It's all about the bottom line and increasing the share value so the CEO and his "dream team" can get sell the company and retire. Golder has gone through years of layoffs and restructuring - some real head scratching decisions were made in terms of who they would let go of, meanwhile they hung on to some staff who obviously don't want to be here (and rarely show up!) and help contribute to the environments low morale. Staff are no longer valued and good people are leaving for much better jobs as we speak. Management are disorganized and disengaged - it's obvious even they don't want to be here. They've cut positions, benefits. departments, you name it. They've cut far too close to the bone, so now more and more is being asked of staff who have no experience in certain areas (logistics, H&S, AP) where they could have people in local offices very busy, helping to keep things moving and flowing seamlessly. Instead, we have inept leaders controlling our various department to help "streamline functions and improve efficiencies", which is the complete opposite of what's been happening. It's embarrassing to see any company operate like this - I will be one of many jumping ship as soon as I line something else up :)
Pros
Some good people are left...
Productive and supportive company
Receptionist/Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC16 January 2018
Golder Associates is a world class employee owned consulting company. It offers many avenues for advancement and training. A very supportive place to work.
Pros
Educational, sustainable
Not what it used to be
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 January 2018
Golder used to be a great company to work for. Now it feels like you are a number with a sole purpose of making the company money. The company culture is "make money, make money, make money". It's draining. Training is now non-existent. Benefits were recently cut. Pay is now below standard. Things are still constantly changing.

You can find worse companies, but I had to leave for something more stable and healthy for my psyche.
A professional organization of engineers.
Environmental Health and Safety Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 December 2017
This would have been a great career. But I discovered that as a technologist, I was not valued but treated instead as an expendable resource. The office environment was health and safety orientated to a very high standard but my experience was that this hid the underlying sophisticated harassment that was conducted.
Big Company Operation with local focus.
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2017
Canadian Based and head quartered global company.
Diverse in staff and projects.
Owned and managed by established employees.
International in scope.
Pros
Very corporate culture, well defined.
Cons
A wide variety of experiences
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2017
This job has a wide range of tasks and experiences. From days within the office doing busy work to traveling to different towns for field work. This is a fast paced industry.
Challenging yet rewarding company
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2017
Excellent knowledge and experience gained.
Each day presented a new challenge, people made it exciting.
Employee benefits were greatly appreciated.
warm comfortable atmosphere.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Golder is going through turbulence - fasten your career seat belt !
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada8 November 2017
Used to be a great company, but things changed in a way that is not in the best interest of an average employee particularly new employees.
You have to be 100% chargeable and yet there is no appreciation. If you are down a few months then you are out the door, is it professional? or purely business?
Everyone is struggling to meet his/her chargeability.
Pros
Global company
Cons
No job security
An employee oriented and employee owned company.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 October 2017
Great place to work with good benefits and good wages. In my position I had to pleasure of meeting and greeting a lot of clients from all over the world.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
difficult deadlines to be met
Office and field
Biological technician (Former Employee) –  Boyle, AB24 October 2017
My hours were a little inconsistent but everyone I met was very nice and supportive. Many people wanted to know me and try to help me move forward in my career.
Great People but no advancement opportunities
Project Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 September 2017
Salary is competitive and co workers are fabulous. Despite lots of talk about succession planning etc. there really isn't a plan to do so. Training is hit and miss. Most of the benefits (education reimbursement etc) disappeared in 2014. No real opportunities for advancement.
Great experiences and amazing learning opportunities yet a little tough on work/life balance
N/A (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2017
Great company, great staff, great learning opportunities, decent wages and coverage however sometimes it can be a little bit of a challenge to balance work/life.

Great balance of working in a team environment and also as an individual.
Good Place to Work
Project Secretary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 July 2017
Enjoyed my time with the company. They encouraged development and advancement in their staff. Always felt like I was part of the team. Good work life balance.
Struggling Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada5 July 2017
Golder Associates Ltd. is no longer the company it once was. The company use to be client oriented and our main focus was to provide excellent services to our clients. Now the company's focus is to only obtain clients with deep pockets and have people with poor management skills run the offices. The first half of my career was great, however, the last half was mentally draining and sad watching a once great company crash and burn.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Management
Overworked and underpaid
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
Golder has so many different business units and reorganizes the company so often that it appears really disorganized.
Some of the management seems good but the employee owned structure promotes people who buy shares, whether they are good or not
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
long hours, disorganized
excellent company
CAD Technician (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 June 2017
It is a very professional company, excellent leadership, fun environment. very organized and safety first. the workplace culture is very flexible and fun to work with them. the most enjoyable part of my job is the team are like family and they always help when you are confused or lost.
Good leaders and teams
Senior EHS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2017
An employee owned EHS consulting firm provide all EHS services globally. Very knowledgeable and experienced leaders. Diversified employees bringing good ideas. Driving high quality services to clients. Coaching and developing opportunities available for all junior employees.
Work life balance is heavily skewed towards work
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2017
The company has had a large turn around since I joined in 2015. It seems to be improving but the entry level workers seem to cycle every 2-3 years from what I've been told and am currently seeing.

Large amounts of field work with low diems, no standard overnight or out of town work bonuses, long hours in the field while typically working alone or supervising a few subcontractors.

The job does have great benefits, ability to bank your OT or take a payout, you can buy into the company (although I haven't heard of anyone doing that except senior management), and a flexible schedule.
Pros
Salaried with overtime bank or payout
Cons
Lots of travel, low diem payouts, expenses take weeks to reimburse, no travel or out of town compensation