GNC Employee Reviews

Fun place to work, but training isn't done well
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 May 2016
work is decently easy and enjoyable
management isn't trained and is highly uneducated
customers are amazing and love hearing how much knowledge you might have
Pros
The job was easy and straight forward
Cons
Management was awful- they don't train the managers
Great employment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS1 May 2016
lots of ways to make extra money with commission as well as getting an hourly pay. job has much to do but tends to have time periods were you are left standing doing nothing.
Pros
great hours
Cons
lots of quiet periods
Informative Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 April 2016
Lots to learn working at GNC. Great working with like-minded people ! I look forward to more time working here ! I've forwarded my own health since I've started.
Overall great experience, serious scare tactics from upper management.
Customer Service Rep & Part-time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2016
Great money available, yet strict sales goals and commission infused paychecks. Upper management sales & scare tactics trickle down and undermine the younger employees at times.
This was a good icebreaker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 March 2016
This job was my first job and taught me a lot about the responsibilities that a job comes with. I had to learn a lot of new things in a short period of time. Overall this was a fun experience.
rewarding and informative workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
In this position I have learned a great deal about nutrition and overall body composition, A typical day at work consists of customers coming first and helping them to buy the supplements to achieve their personal goals. In between will be paperwork and store ops ( cleaning, ordering and scheduling). Overall this has been the best place for me to gain experience in managerial skills and organizational skills. The hardest part of my job currently is work life balance. The most enjoyable is most definitely the customer interaction. I come across all types of people everyday, and i really enjoy the ability to help them achieve their goals... and then to see them come back time and again and seeing the goals accomplished with my own eyes.
Enjoyable customer interaction with generous commission
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON4 March 2016
Fun workplace with like-minded health-conscious coworkers who genuinely want to help all customers that enter the store.
Healthy day to day challenges
SALES ASSOCTIATE (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 February 2016
Managing GNC.ca webstore

Learned interpersonal and communication skills required in order to be a successful salesman

Co-workers were always professional and eager to learn

Most enjoyable part of the job is when successfully helping a customer reach his or her goals via nutritional supplementation.
Great workplace but with a large focus on making as much profit as possible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 December 2015
A typical day at work would involve making sure all of the shelves are presentable and clean while helping all customers find the specific product for their needs.
I learned how to ask the right questions to be able to pick the best product fort he customer so they do not buy the wrong item.
All of my coworkers were extremely outgoing and nice people who focused on helping a customer in the best way they could.
The hardest part about the job was the companies extreme focus on selling as many products to a single person as possible. This caused every employee to be rated upon how many items they sold and how much profit they gave the company. This was hard for me to deal with as it felt unethical to me to attempt to sell someone a product that I know they do not need nor want. I was reprimanded many times by my manager for my lack of up selling products.
Pros
Interacting with customers on a regular basis
Cons
The focus on profit and not customer service
Encouraging,
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga and Etobicoke, ON15 October 2015
My time with GNC was a good one. I rose from sales associate to manager in less than a year. The company, and more specifically my regional sales manager, really took me under their wings to hone my skills and instill a great deal of confidence in my managerial abilities.

I managed at 2 stores over the span of just over 2 years, and in the end, opted to try schooling in the health field.
Pros
Meeting tonnes of great customers and being able to impart my knowledge, helping them make wiser choices in regards to their health.
Cons
Split weekends and scheduling issues made it difficult to schedule things outside of work
Nutrition benifits your lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 September 2015
Health and nutrition product knowledge. Assiting Customers with advice and nutrition facts to help with their lifetime goals.
Pros
Earned Commisions on sales
Cons
No promotion within the company
Learned a lot, and enjoyed helping customers reach there goals
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 September 2015
Working for GNC i learned a lot about a variety of products and body types. I enjoyed helping customers reach and exceed there goals.
no productivity and no fun work place....even no Christmas meeting, lunch etc....
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2015
GNC Holds no regard for any of their employes, my time working there i have never heard so many negative things coming from customers that had worked for GNC before, they would quote i like to get my supplements at GNC but couldn't really understand how anyone could tolerate the harassment that came from upper management. This is probably the reason GNC has the highest turn over rate of any company in America. They get all they can get out of you then throw you to the curb
Pros
Great Chance To Prove Management Skills & helping people acheived their health goals
Cons
Sales goals must be made, little training & total harassment from upper management
productive and exciting workplace
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2015
GNC was a great experience , I was fortunate to be part of a focused and driven team. The company had plenty of different activities set in place to improve costumer and employee interactions. GNC invested a lot into me from one on one manger training to online programs that expanded our knowledge on the company and its products. Overall it was a great experience that helped me a lot to improve on my many skills.
Pros
Every day brought new challenges, had the chance to meet new people and everyday was a new experience
Supplement company
Retail Assistant-Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON8 April 2015
-lots of goals to obtain through the day
-lots of organizational skills required
- details count and knowing your products
-matching customer needs with appropriate product
Pros
commision
Cons
expected a lot out of employees with little in return
The management was poor and needed work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 April 2015
Overall an okay job for a highschool student, not enough management as four stores had two managers. I helped customers, stocked shelves, told about the products and what they did.
Cons
Boring
consultant
Cashier (Current Employee) –  prince george13 February 2015
helped people with nutrition advice and was very attentive as a cashier, stock person, and consultant. overall, for a student, this is a wonderful job because there is flexible hours.
Productive Environment
RETAIL SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 February 2015
Basically dealing with customers on a daily basis, cleaning and dusting the store as well as facing our products. as it was a passion of mine i could it very easy to explain to customers what the best products where for their specific goals, needs and wants. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2015
The pay wasn't what I desired, but the owner is a really great lady who is both trusting and friendly. Located in Marlborough Mall, I suggest anyone who wants insight into better living to drop by.
Pros
Great location, Great owner
Cons
Pay was too low
Start of my career
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2014
The pay plan was commission based which I found out is the perfect thing for me. The manager there was the best I ever had and helped me start my career in sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GNC. Our community is ready to answer.