GNC Employee Reviews

Great money and meeting alot of famous trainers and ex WWE stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2016
loved working there. but I really didn't like how to management operates.. don't sell and you get threatened to be fired.

but overall a great job with many opportunities and travel to different GNCs if you get into management. a lot of free perks too!
Pros
free pre workout and protein etc.
Cons
management forces you to sell GNC products
Money Hungry
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 November 2016
GNC is, was and has always been a money hungry establishment that doesnt care about their employees or customers. They are more concerned with selling a GNC product that they want their employees to lie to customers. If you do actually help the customer with sound, educated advice and recommend something not GNC product, you get a backlash from management.
Pros
Commission in some stores
Cons
Everything else
rewarding and informative workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
In this position I have learned a great deal about nutrition and overall body composition, A typical day at work consists of customers coming first and helping them to buy the supplements to achieve their personal goals. In between will be paperwork and store ops ( cleaning, ordering and scheduling). Overall this has been the best place for me to gain experience in managerial skills and organizational skills. The hardest part of my job currently is work life balance. The most enjoyable is most definitely the customer interaction. I come across all types of people everyday, and i really enjoy the ability to help them achieve their goals... and then to see them come back time and again and seeing the goals accomplished with my own eyes.
Fun place to work, but training isn't done well
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 May 2016
work is decently easy and enjoyable
management isn't trained and is highly uneducated
customers are amazing and love hearing how much knowledge you might have
Pros
The job was easy and straight forward
Cons
Management was awful- they don't train the managers
If you into fitness this is it
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 September 2016
great job, learned a lot about the human body and advanced how I could gain weight overly well. it was a fun place to work if you don't mind dealing with people and stock
Pros
discount
Cons
bad wage
Overall great experience, serious scare tactics from upper management.
Customer Service Rep & Part-time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2016
Great money available, yet strict sales goals and commission infused paychecks. Upper management sales & scare tactics trickle down and undermine the younger employees at times.
Fitness related
Sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 June 2016
I enjoy working at GNC as it enables me to use my knowledge on supplements, fitness and leading a healthy lifestyle in order to help others.
Great employment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS1 May 2016
lots of ways to make extra money with commission as well as getting an hourly pay. job has much to do but tends to have time periods were you are left standing doing nothing.
Pros
great hours
Cons
lots of quiet periods
A fast pace, informative environment with many opportunites to learn.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Novato, CA9 July 2013
In my current position, a balance must be maintained between sales and management. While being responsible for personal as well as over all sales, I am also responsible for the focus and direction of the sales to meet company goals. This requires proper training and education of all employees, as well as retraining for new products and promotions. The sales floor merchandising and sales promotions are continually changing which requires great organizational skills. There is also a large amount of training material and product information that must be kept up to date, organized and readily accessible. There are many other aspects, such as communication and creating a clean and inviting environment, that make up the fast pace day to day operations at my current position.
Pros
Great discount on products.
Informative Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 April 2016
Lots to learn working at GNC. Great working with like-minded people ! I look forward to more time working here ! I've forwarded my own health since I've started.
Working with GNC.
Manager (Former Employee) –  100 Bayshore Drive9 December 2013
My satisfaction came from long term clients and personal training clientele who came in to seek advice. Through their results I gained lifetime consumers. I took the managing position to keep the original staff. You're only as strong as your team. The hardest thing I had to deal with was with politics from the higher authority; because we are corporate, we need to hit certain standards, or stats I should say. GNC pushes GNC products although my research pointed at times to other ones, I hit the stats but gave my clients options. Being part of a Crew or should I say a team environment is what kept me going there. Not meaning the other stores but the particular one I was in charge of. When a corporation decides to compromise good customer service for their corporate gains-well let's just say that as an employee it's good as management, you get to see the real picture.
Pros
Promotial Money's were offered.
Cons
Perfect standards were expected w/ minimal training.
Great workplace but with a large focus on making as much profit as possible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 December 2015
A typical day at work would involve making sure all of the shelves are presentable and clean while helping all customers find the specific product for their needs.
I learned how to ask the right questions to be able to pick the best product fort he customer so they do not buy the wrong item.
All of my coworkers were extremely outgoing and nice people who focused on helping a customer in the best way they could.
The hardest part about the job was the companies extreme focus on selling as many products to a single person as possible. This caused every employee to be rated upon how many items they sold and how much profit they gave the company. This was hard for me to deal with as it felt unethical to me to attempt to sell someone a product that I know they do not need nor want. I was reprimanded many times by my manager for my lack of up selling products.
Pros
Interacting with customers on a regular basis
Cons
The focus on profit and not customer service
This was a good icebreaker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 March 2016
This job was my first job and taught me a lot about the responsibilities that a job comes with. I had to learn a lot of new things in a short period of time. Overall this was a fun experience.
Healthy day to day challenges
SALES ASSOCTIATE (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 February 2016
Managing GNC.ca webstore

Learned interpersonal and communication skills required in order to be a successful salesman

Co-workers were always professional and eager to learn

Most enjoyable part of the job is when successfully helping a customer reach his or her goals via nutritional supplementation.
Enjoyable customer interaction with generous commission
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON4 March 2016
Fun workplace with like-minded health-conscious coworkers who genuinely want to help all customers that enter the store.
no productivity and no fun work place....even no Christmas meeting, lunch etc....
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2015
GNC Holds no regard for any of their employes, my time working there i have never heard so many negative things coming from customers that had worked for GNC before, they would quote i like to get my supplements at GNC but couldn't really understand how anyone could tolerate the harassment that came from upper management. This is probably the reason GNC has the highest turn over rate of any company in America. They get all they can get out of you then throw you to the curb
Pros
Great Chance To Prove Management Skills & helping people acheived their health goals
Cons
Sales goals must be made, little training & total harassment from upper management
Encouraging,
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga and Etobicoke, ON15 October 2015
My time with GNC was a good one. I rose from sales associate to manager in less than a year. The company, and more specifically my regional sales manager, really took me under their wings to hone my skills and instill a great deal of confidence in my managerial abilities.

I managed at 2 stores over the span of just over 2 years, and in the end, opted to try schooling in the health field.
Pros
Meeting tonnes of great customers and being able to impart my knowledge, helping them make wiser choices in regards to their health.
Cons
Split weekends and scheduling issues made it difficult to schedule things outside of work
Nutrition benifits your lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 September 2015
Health and nutrition product knowledge. Assiting Customers with advice and nutrition facts to help with their lifetime goals.
Pros
Earned Commisions on sales
Cons
No promotion within the company
Enjoyed working with the associates at this location.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 June 2012
Assisted customers in need of herbal products, to obtain their goals. Was trained in various levels of digestive health, and completed GNC University, class 1 The Nutrients. Management was good to the employees at this site, allowing them the freedom to do their jobs correctly. Enjoyed working as a team with other associates or independently. The hardest part of the job, was multitasking, weather dealing with customer, relining the store, dusting and basic merchandising, along with daily emails and other management assignments. The most enjoyable part was seeing a customer go away with a smile on their face, completely happy with their choices and experience within the store, and knowing that you would see a happy customer again.
Time theft, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC23 April 2014
This is the worst job to work at, your hard work is not appreciated the moment your sales go down. You are automatically threatened with getting your hours cut or even losing your job. Corporate is always breathing down your managers neck, causing your manager to constantly reem you out. Worst work environment to work at. STAY AWAY.

The only good thing about this job was that I met amazing people and developed my social skills. Learning about health and fitness was the best thing I could have done. It's too bad the people up above don't know how to keep their employees happy.
Pros
high comission
Cons
bad management, corrupt, time theft, no loyalty