GNC Employee Reviews

Fitness related
Sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 18, 2016
I enjoy working at GNC as it enables me to use my knowledge on supplements, fitness and leading a healthy lifestyle in order to help others.
Great employment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NSMay 1, 2016
lots of ways to make extra money with commission as well as getting an hourly pay. job has much to do but tends to have time periods were you are left standing doing nothing.
Pros
great hours
Cons
lots of quiet periods
Informative Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 21, 2016
Lots to learn working at GNC. Great working with like-minded people ! I look forward to more time working here ! I've forwarded my own health since I've started.
rewarding and informative workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
In this position I have learned a great deal about nutrition and overall body composition, A typical day at work consists of customers coming first and helping them to buy the supplements to achieve their personal goals. In between will be paperwork and store ops ( cleaning, ordering and scheduling). Overall this has been the best place for me to gain experience in managerial skills and organizational skills. The hardest part of my job currently is work life balance. The most enjoyable is most definitely the customer interaction. I come across all types of people everyday, and i really enjoy the ability to help them achieve their goals... and then to see them come back time and again and seeing the goals accomplished with my own eyes.
Great workplace but with a large focus on making as much profit as possible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 15, 2015
A typical day at work would involve making sure all of the shelves are presentable and clean while helping all customers find the specific product for their needs.
I learned how to ask the right questions to be able to pick the best product fort he customer so they do not buy the wrong item.
All of my coworkers were extremely outgoing and nice people who focused on helping a customer in the best way they could.
The hardest part about the job was the companies extreme focus on selling as many products to a single person as possible. This caused every employee to be rated upon how many items they sold and how much profit they gave the company. This was hard for me to deal with as it felt unethical to me to attempt to sell someone a product that I know they do not need nor want. I was reprimanded many times by my manager for my lack of up selling products.
Pros
Interacting with customers on a regular basis
Cons
The focus on profit and not customer service
Nutrition benifits your lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Health and nutrition product knowledge. Assiting Customers with advice and nutrition facts to help with their lifetime goals.
Pros
Earned Commisions on sales
Cons
No promotion within the company
no productivity and no fun work place....even no Christmas meeting, lunch etc....
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 11, 2015
GNC Holds no regard for any of their employes, my time working there i have never heard so many negative things coming from customers that had worked for GNC before, they would quote i like to get my supplements at GNC but couldn't really understand how anyone could tolerate the harassment that came from upper management. This is probably the reason GNC has the highest turn over rate of any company in America. They get all they can get out of you then throw you to the curb
Pros
Great Chance To Prove Management Skills & helping people acheived their health goals
Cons
Sales goals must be made, little training & total harassment from upper management
productive and exciting workplace
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
GNC was a great experience , I was fortunate to be part of a focused and driven team. The company had plenty of different activities set in place to improve costumer and employee interactions. GNC invested a lot into me from one on one manger training to online programs that expanded our knowledge on the company and its products. Overall it was a great experience that helped me a lot to improve on my many skills.
Pros
Every day brought new challenges, had the chance to meet new people and everyday was a new experience
The management was poor and needed work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 2, 2015
Overall an okay job for a highschool student, not enough management as four stores had two managers. I helped customers, stocked shelves, told about the products and what they did.
Cons
Boring
consultant
Cashier (Current Employee) –  prince georgeFebruary 13, 2015
helped people with nutrition advice and was very attentive as a cashier, stock person, and consultant. overall, for a student, this is a wonderful job because there is flexible hours.
Productive Environment
RETAIL SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Basically dealing with customers on a daily basis, cleaning and dusting the store as well as facing our products. as it was a passion of mine i could it very easy to explain to customers what the best products where for their specific goals, needs and wants. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2015
The pay wasn't what I desired, but the owner is a really great lady who is both trusting and friendly. Located in Marlborough Mall, I suggest anyone who wants insight into better living to drop by.
Pros
great location, great owner
Cons
pay was too low
Nice work environment with ample opportunity to extend your knowledge in the field of health products.
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chatham, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Customer service job that provided extensive GNC University training on the hundreds of different products including new and upcoming products available. We offer advice to customers on health regimes as well as products to enhance their workout. Handled large amounts of cash on a daily basis as well as basic accounting skills with balancing cash control at the beginning and end of each shift. There is daily goals that are required as well as basic cleaning, organizing, inventory, and expiry date checking of the products in the store. Management gives us tips and advice on ways to meet all required goals on a regular basis. We work independently as well as with co-workers for a portion of the shifts. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset or agitated customers however I am usually able to diffuse most situations in a calm and professional manner. I enjoy being able to learn about new products on a daily basis.
Great Place to Work!
GNC Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 29, 2014
Being able to work for a company who is recognized all around the world was amazing. One of the best things that I was able to do was communicate with the customers, and express my advice and concern to each costumer. Health & Fitness is something that has been in my life since I was a little kid. I unfortunately couldn't get much experience at GNC because I had to leave due to personal reasons. But, talking Health & Fitness with customers is a great way to make a living!
The challenge day at work is how to receive shipment, block & face shelves
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2014
The challenge day at work is how to receive shipment, block & face shelves
Pros
good bonus
Cons
working on satusdays
fun and exiting workplace
Franchise (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 23, 2014
Head Pharmacist
Hiring/ firing
performance reviews
inventory control
productivity
scheduling
working along with other departments
dispensing meds & counselling patients
Cross training staff members within the same store
Working within parameter of budget ( wages & expenses )
Pros
celebrating success
Cons
high traffic
Time theft, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCApril 23, 2014
This is the worst job to work at, your hard work is not appreciated the moment your sales go down. You are automatically threatened with getting your hours cut or even losing your job. Corporate is always breathing down your managers neck, causing your manager to constantly reem you out. Worst work environment to work at. STAY AWAY.

The only good thing about this job was that I met amazing people and developed my social skills. Learning about health and fitness was the best thing I could have done. It's too bad the people up above don't know how to keep their employees happy.
Pros
high comission
Cons
bad management, corrupt, time theft, no loyalty
Good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 5, 2014
A typical day at work was basically attending to customers needs answering questions about products, Merchandising products and cleaning. Management was really good, understanding and easy to talk to. Great co-workers who help a lot!
Great place to develop interpersonal skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioDecember 27, 2013
This is a great part-time job where each day I encounter different types of people that challenge me to think critically in an instant. Management is very fair and gives hours based on individual performance. The hardest part of the job is meeting sales targets on days that are not very busy.
Pros
learning how to deal with all types of individuals
Working with GNC.
Manager (Former Employee) –  100 Bayshore DriveDecember 9, 2013
My satisfaction came from long term clients and personal training clientele who came in to seek advice. Through their results I gained lifetime consumers. I took the managing position to keep the original staff. You're only as strong as your team. The hardest thing I had to deal with was with politics from the higher authority; because we are corporate, we need to hit certain standards, or stats I should say. GNC pushes GNC products although my research pointed at times to other ones, I hit the stats but gave my clients options. Being part of a Crew or should I say a team environment is what kept me going there. Not meaning the other stores but the particular one I was in charge of. When a corporation decides to compromise good customer service for their corporate gains-well let's just say that as an employee it's good as management, you get to see the real picture.
Pros
promotial money's were offered.
Cons
perfect standards were expected w/ minimal training.