GNC Employee Reviews in Canada

rewarding and informative workplace
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
In this position I have learned a great deal about nutrition and overall body composition, A typical day at work consists of customers coming first and helping them to buy the supplements to achieve their personal goals. In between will be paperwork and store ops ( cleaning, ordering and scheduling). Overall this has been the best place for me to gain experience in managerial skills and organizational skills. The hardest part of my job currently is work life balance. The most enjoyable is most definitely the customer interaction. I come across all types of people everyday, and i really enjoy the ability to help them achieve their goals... and then to see them come back time and again and seeing the goals accomplished with my own eyes.
Great employment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NSMay 1, 2016
lots of ways to make extra money with commission as well as getting an hourly pay. job has much to do but tends to have time periods were you are left standing doing nothing.
Pros
great hours
Cons
lots of quiet periods
Informative Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 21, 2016
Lots to learn working at GNC. Great working with like-minded people ! I look forward to more time working here ! I've forwarded my own health since I've started.
Great workplace but with a large focus on making as much profit as possible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 15, 2015
A typical day at work would involve making sure all of the shelves are presentable and clean while helping all customers find the specific product for their needs.
I learned how to ask the right questions to be able to pick the best product fort he customer so they do not buy the wrong item.
All of my coworkers were extremely outgoing and nice people who focused on helping a customer in the best way they could.
The hardest part about the job was the companies extreme focus on selling as many products to a single person as possible. This caused every employee to be rated upon how many items they sold and how much profit they gave the company. This was hard for me to deal with as it felt unethical to me to attempt to sell someone a product that I know they do not need nor want. I was reprimanded many times by my manager for my lack of up selling products.
Pros
Interacting with customers on a regular basis
Cons
The focus on profit and not customer service
Nutrition benifits your lifestyle
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 16, 2015
Health and nutrition product knowledge. Assiting Customers with advice and nutrition facts to help with their lifetime goals.
Pros
Earned Commisions on sales
Cons
No promotion within the company
no productivity and no fun work place....even no Christmas meeting, lunch etc....
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 11, 2015
GNC Holds no regard for any of their employes, my time working there i have never heard so many negative things coming from customers that had worked for GNC before, they would quote i like to get my supplements at GNC but couldn't really understand how anyone could tolerate the harassment that came from upper management. This is probably the reason GNC has the highest turn over rate of any company in America. They get all they can get out of you then throw you to the curb
Pros
Great Chance To Prove Management Skills & helping people acheived their health goals
Cons
Sales goals must be made, little training & total harassment from upper management
productive and exciting workplace
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
GNC was a great experience , I was fortunate to be part of a focused and driven team. The company had plenty of different activities set in place to improve costumer and employee interactions. GNC invested a lot into me from one on one manger training to online programs that expanded our knowledge on the company and its products. Overall it was a great experience that helped me a lot to improve on my many skills.
Pros
Every day brought new challenges, had the chance to meet new people and everyday was a new experience
Productive Environment
RETAIL SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Basically dealing with customers on a daily basis, cleaning and dusting the store as well as facing our products. as it was a passion of mine i could it very easy to explain to customers what the best products where for their specific goals, needs and wants. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Great Place to Work!
GNC Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 29, 2014
Being able to work for a company who is recognized all around the world was amazing. One of the best things that I was able to do was communicate with the customers, and express my advice and concern to each costumer. Health & Fitness is something that has been in my life since I was a little kid. I unfortunately couldn't get much experience at GNC because I had to leave due to personal reasons. But, talking Health & Fitness with customers is a great way to make a living!
The management was poor and needed work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 2, 2015
Overall an okay job for a highschool student, not enough management as four stores had two managers. I helped customers, stocked shelves, told about the products and what they did.
Cons
Boring
Time theft, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCApril 23, 2014
This is the worst job to work at, your hard work is not appreciated the moment your sales go down. You are automatically threatened with getting your hours cut or even losing your job. Corporate is always breathing down your managers neck, causing your manager to constantly reem you out. Worst work environment to work at. STAY AWAY.

The only good thing about this job was that I met amazing people and developed my social skills. Learning about health and fitness was the best thing I could have done. It's too bad the people up above don't know how to keep their employees happy.
Pros
high comission
Cons
bad management, corrupt, time theft, no loyalty
Great Place to work
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 15, 2011
GNC was my favorite job. It had to living a healthier life and i enjoyed the people i worked with. It was indeed a pleasant workplace. The scheduling was great because it worked with my lifestyle and there was enough shifts all the time. I liked what i was doing and the products i was selling therefor related to them better and was a great sales person. I enjoyed working here and would work there again anytime. I recommend GNC to everyone. It truly changed my life
Excellent part-time job when also going to school
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONNovember 5, 2012
Provide courteous, professional customer service when promoting products and services.
Conversing with customers on what they would like to do with regards to working out and having a healthier life. Steer them towards a path that will help them accomplish those goals.
There were few other co-workers which was good at establishing friendships within the workplace.
The hardest part of the job would be that there were times where you would be the only one working, and when the store would get busy it would be a challenge to handle all priorities.
Pros
opportunity for commission
Cons
balancing school with work
great chance to make money but terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2013
worked for two years as a sales associate, but managers changed three times while i was there. Two were terrible and whoever hired them obviously didnt know what they were doing. The only good manager we had stuck around for a month before he was promoted. Constant head butting with the manager made a bunch of us quit, turnover rate is ridiculous at small locations.
Pros
great comission, great place to work if you like fitness/nutrition
Cons
poor structure and management, treated sales reps like disposable items
Sales job where you have to put the company's ideas before the customer's needs.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 15, 2012
Great place to work. Talking with customers was fun and enjoyable. However, the company had stats to be met for selling specific products that didn't always match up with what a customer may need. This creates issues between selling what the person needs and what the company feels they should buy.
I learned a lot about the types of products and how they can aid in people's health. Co-workers were fine, it's always a toss-up, but most of the time I was on my own anyway.
GNC places too much importance on stats. Get rid of the stats and sell what the customer needs and this job is perfect, but until then, it's not quite there.
Pros
enjoyable, social environment
Cons
sales quotas
Enjoyed working with the associates at this location.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 13, 2012
Assisted customers in need of herbal products, to obtain their goals. Was trained in various levels of digestive health, and completed GNC University, class 1 The Nutrients. Management was good to the employees at this site, allowing them the freedom to do their jobs correctly. Enjoyed working as a team with other associates or independently. The hardest part of the job, was multitasking, weather dealing with customer, relining the store, dusting and basic merchandising, along with daily emails and other management assignments. The most enjoyable part was seeing a customer go away with a smile on their face, completely happy with their choices and experience within the store, and knowing that you would see a happy customer again.
Great place to develop interpersonal skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioDecember 27, 2013
This is a great part-time job where each day I encounter different types of people that challenge me to think critically in an instant. Management is very fair and gives hours based on individual performance. The hardest part of the job is meeting sales targets on days that are not very busy.
Pros
learning how to deal with all types of individuals
Good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2015
The pay wasn't what I desired, but the owner is a really great lady who is both trusting and friendly. Located in Marlborough Mall, I suggest anyone who wants insight into better living to drop by.
Pros
great location, great owner
Cons
pay was too low
fun and exiting workplace
Franchise (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 23, 2014
Head Pharmacist
Hiring/ firing
performance reviews
inventory control
productivity
scheduling
working along with other departments
dispensing meds & counselling patients
Cross training staff members within the same store
Working within parameter of budget ( wages & expenses )
Pros
celebrating success
Cons
high traffic
A fast pace, informative environment with many opportunites to learn.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAJuly 9, 2013
In my current position, a balance must be maintained between sales and management. While being responsible for personal as well as over all sales, I am also responsible for the focus and direction of the sales to meet company goals. This requires proper training and education of all employees, as well as retraining for new products and promotions. The sales floor merchandising and sales promotions are continually changing which requires great organizational skills. There is also a large amount of training material and product information that must be kept up to date, organized and readily accessible. There are many other aspects, such as communication and creating a clean and inviting environment, that make up the fast pace day to day operations at my current position.
Pros
great discount on products.