Start Date: May 1 – Oct 1, 2014
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Décor, Stage & Set Design Coordinator will be a crucial and essential position as part of the festivals development. Ottawa’s pre-eminent event and décor specialists will mentor the participant in this role. The skills that will be learned will translate into future work opportunities for the right individual.
The décor and staging of the festival is at the heart of the concept and is the single most important element. You will be part of the team that creates custom décor, major “art” installations as well as illuminating Bank Street. From creation to set-up and tear down you will work with a massive team of staff and volunteers to achieve the unachievable.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with décor team lead you will help create and build sets and props for the festival
- Work with Merchants team to come up with décor concepts and pitch to business owners to get them involved and decorate leading up to and during festival
- Onsite set-up, tear down
- Providing wrap up and recommendations report post-event.
- Catalogue and store all assets for next years festival use
- Other duties as required
- ARE A CREATIVE PERSON WITH VISION AND BIG IDEAS
- Have basic to advanced understanding of staging, set design, theatrical prop making or you are simply a natural born designer
- Have an uncanny ability to make something big and fabulous out of nothing
- In another life you would have been a window display person at Barney’s NY
- Have excellent creative, oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Monitor the pulse of what’s cool / trending
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in high stress situations and work with a volunteer base
- You work extremely well in a team environment and can equally work well individually
NICE TO HAVE:
- Arts background (digital, fine arts etc)
- Previous experience in design, décor and merchandising
This position is made possible through Employment Ontario’s Job Creation Partnership Program (JCP) The JCP rate of pay is $423 gross/week.
Requirements: "Ontario Job Creation Partnerships" (JCP) is an employment program provided by Employment Ontario. To participate, you must be unemployed and meet one of the following conditions: have established a claim for Employment Insurance benefits or that the Employment Insurance benefit period ended within the past three years; or established a claim for Employment Insurance maternity or parental benefits and were paid benefits within the past five years, and are re-entering the labour force after having left it to care for newborn or newly adopted children. For more information please visit
Please forward resume and cover letter to the attention of Sebastien Provost by Monday April 28th
Glow Fair Festival
C/o Sebastien Provost, Executive Producer
176 Gloucester Street, Unit 310
Ottawa, ON. K2P 0A6