Global Thermoelectric is the world’s leading manufacturer and distributor of thermoelectric generators (TEG) and one of the world’s leading suppliers of remote power systems. The Company’s products are used extensively in remote oil & gas and telecommunications applications as well as security & surveillance and military applications.
With sales into 50 countries, Global has been providing reliable solutions for critical remote power applications around the world since 1975. The Company has maintained a particular focus on oil and gas markets where there is an acknowledged niche for Global’s solid state (i.e. no moving parts) TEGs for pipeline, gas well, and offshore platform applications. The Company also enters into OEM relationships with third parties seeking to incorporate Global's thermoelectric heat conversion devices into their own products.
Global also provides turnkey engineered to purpose integrated systems for off-grid, and grid backup applications combining diesel or propane powered generators with battery storage and proprietary control system architectures to achieve autonomous operation for up to 1 year without service or refueling requirements. Global also manufactures an ultra high reliability solar remote power solutions combining photovoltaics with thermoelectric backup to achieve otherwise unobtainable levels of system availability.
We are looking for energetic and dedicated individuals to join our Global Team. You will be a part of a positive, respectful environment where we take genuine pride in all that we do and are passionate about ensuring the success of our customers and our employees.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager and as part of the Product Engineering Team, the Materials & Chemical Engineer will be the primary metallurgical resource for the organization, a key resource in the design of fuel processing sub-systems as well as the design, development, validation and maintenance Global’s new and existing standard products.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Thermoelectric material production support and process improvement.
- Lead failure investigations related to materials and material processes.
- Assessing and assisting in selection of new technologies on the technology roadmap to meet the business needs.
- Participate as a member of the team in the design and validation of new standard products including evaluating and selecting appropriate materials.
- Designing natural gas conditioning and pressure reduction systems for use upstream of Global’s power generation equipment.
- Support Sales Engineering and Integrated Systems Engineering in the use of gas conditioning equipment on systems quotations and orders.
- Support Sales, Integrated System Engineering and Customer Service on materials and corrosion related issues as required.
The position is based in Calgary, Alberta. Due to the nature of the responsibilities and based on the project priorities, significant time may be required at our plant in Bassano, Alberta and regular trips to Calgary based contract manufacturers can be expected.
The candidate is expected to have the following minimum skills and qualifications:
- Materials, Metallurgical or Chemical Engineering Degree with APEGA eligibility (P.Eng.)
- Proven project based experience in a manufacturing and development environment. Candidates with experience in the design and development of gas conditioning systems, power generation products, semiconductor manufacturing, materials development for products, design related materials selection and/or failure investigations with drive to determine root cause will be preferred.
- Experience in Oil & Gas is not a prerequisite. Applicants with manufacturing and development experience from automotive, metals, mining, aerospace and other relevant sectors will be considered.
- Solid analytic and problem solving skills, attention to details and an inquiring mind.
- Candidates with experience in chemical process modeling, elevated temperature corrosion and semiconducting materials are preferred.
- Must be practical and have proven hands-on work experience.
- General understanding of varied engineering, physical and electro-chemical principles.
- Desire to learn, adapt and accept new challenges in a product development and manufacturing environment.
- Strong organizational and project management and reporting skills.
- Ability to accept and provide constructive criticism from and to peers and mentors.
- Good communication and computer literacy (Word, Excel) skills.
- Must exhibit safe work practices with mechanical, electrical and chemical systems and associated tools.
Global Thermoelectric will be accepting applications for this position effective immediately. Please submit your resume online.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only candidates deemed to meet the criteria set out above will be contacted for interview. Remuneration will be fair and equitable, in accordance with Global’s standard policies, and based on the candidate’s level of study and experience.