Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great Job to grow in Pet knowledge and awareness
Pet Food &Supplies Specialist (Current Employee), Stellarton, NSApril 18, 2016
A typical day at work requires general merchanizing, receiving product orders, managing the cash registers, and most importantly, helping customers find the right food, treats or accessories for their pet. This job has provided me a lot with a lot of insight into how to better care for my own pets due to the constant product knowlege training.
fun but boring place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 7, 2016
Pros: fun, easy
Cons: boring at times, poor management, poor pay, terrible owner
I was hired on and got let go right before my 3 months was up with very little reason given. I was in time for every shift, put away most of the deliveries plus doing cash, completed tasks list and everything asked of me.

It was a fun place to work but the location I worked at was slow and very boring at times. Not enough tasks were given to stay busy all day..

The manager was nice and quiet but not outgoing, never upselled, and had no idea how to communicate or deligate. Any mistake you made she'd tell higher ups. It's almost like she wants to be on her own in the store and is looking for reasons to be alone or get people fired.

Next to no training. Expected to learn everything on your own basically. Any.mistake that was made regardless of being new was frowned upon or punished. The owner was a stressed out and angry individual. It seemed like all she cared about was herself and money

The store hired about 4 new people and none of them worked out. Some didn't show up for shifts, called in sick, or kept switching shifts. In all honesty it's probably because they realized the owner was crazy. I'm sure they felt they had zero job security.

Advice to management and the owner would be to more intensive interviews first not just a five minute one to make sure you're hiring the ideal candidate. Take more time to properly train employees. Don't just leave them to their own devices. Allow for mistakes to be made. Instead of firing people and plowing through a high number of employees take the ones who actually show up and work hard and develop them into – more... a well trained sales associate. It's not going to happen overnight. Expectations for a minimum wage job are way too high and unfair.

I'd never recommend this job to a friend. – less
Rewarding and Flexible Job With Great Staff and Management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 4, 2016
Pros: Great staff
Cons: None
An average day involves processing transactions and maintaining the appearance of the store. Challenging customer requests are frequent; many come to Global when their pet has a food allergy or needs to find the right collar or harness to stop their dog from pulling. A thorough knowledge of animal nutrition and care is needed to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
The owner and manager of the store are very friendly and kind to their staff. Their leadership and positivity create a supportive and enjoyable environment to work in. Staff hired here are hired selectively due to the specific level of knowledge needed. My coworkers are a great asset to Global Pet Foods because the are always working efficiently and contributing to the team atmosphere of the store.
The hardest part of the job is hearing from regular customers who have lost a dear pet that we at the store may have known since the owner first got the pet.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the supportive and positive environment. The attitudes of the owner and manager encourage staff to strive for excellence in customer service, and to really go the extra mile.
Friendly and positive work environment
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at global is very slow paced. It involves assisting customers through out the store, providing them with useful information, and processing transactions. I have learned so much about the pet industry, and enjoy my time spent there. Management and co workers are all excellent people to work with as well.
Nice place to work if you love animals
Part time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Woodbridge, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Pros: discount on pet food, my managers were nice people, love animals
Cons: working sundays, heavy lifting (big dog food bags)
Working at this particular store was very chill most of the time, it's alot smaller than petsmart and rens so theres a more intimate relationship with the customer. Most of the day consists of restocking food items, answering phone calls and cashing people out.

i learned more about the pet food industry for sure and the value of good and healthy ingredients for your pet. the different values of raw food, and the importance of checking protein values and glycemic index in foods.

I had no issues with management, they were the some of the nicest people I have ever had the opportunity to work for.

I barely saw my coworker, just h and bye between shifts. It was a tiny shop, so it was usually one person working at teh store at a time.

The hardest part was always dealing with annoying customers who displayed a sense of entitlement, asked rhetorical questions or acted "irate" to get discounts or free stuff. Other than that it was putting away heavy food bags or getting heavy food bags for customers. Especially the ones at the bottom of a pile!

The most enjoyable part? working practically alone. sometimes the store would be slow during the week and i could watch netflix on my phone or do homework in between customers. over all very chill. and of course my super nice managers. i never had any issues with them at all.
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Sales Associate (Current Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 25, 2015
The job involves lots of various activities. It forces you to adapt depending on what needs to be done. There is a lot to learn and the management are more than willing to teach. The culture is good since there is not personal drama.
Unappreciated, over worked & hostile environment
sales associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Regular Customers, some employees
Cons: management, schedule changes, unorganized
Most of the people who work there are wonderful, however, there are certain people that are in charge that really shouldn't be. They push alot of sales on the employees and want you to up sell alot. Expect to be working at all of the locations and flipped around alot. The schedule changes sometimes the same day that you go into work and they just expect you to change your whole day around. The customers are great and there is some great products if used correctly. Overall, the unprofessional atmosphere, the gossip between co workers, miscommunication and poor management skills land them a 1 star. With the staff constantly changing it's a wonder how customers can even find an associate that they can trust.
Largest Canadian-owned per specialty retailer who pride themselves on being pet nutrition and care experts.
Area Manager (Current Employee), Milton, OntarioJune 14, 2015
I enjoyed working for a company who supply their front line pet specialists with the tools and information to help pet parents make informed decisions both on nutrition and overall health and well-being of their companion pets.
good job, poor management
Customer Sales Consultant (Current Employee), orangevilleMarch 5, 2015
the people were great and customers were friendly but the management was poor with little chance to move up the ladder. I would do it again if not for the manager.
Great work space and an amazing atmosphere
Employee, Global Pet Foods (Former Employee), 110, North Front Street, Belleville, OntarioJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: animals, long hours, fun environment
My typical day at work con sited of opening the store getting everything set up for the day, opening till, cleaning, facing shelves, and taking care of the animals. usually throughout the day it would go like customers come in I help them find what there looking for, ring them out on cash and they would leave. usually i would be stocking shelves on spare time and facing them as well to maintain the stores integrity.
i learned about specific food diets and i learned basic skill sets to using in jobs that i would have in the future such as cash, customer service and team work.
the co-workers and management at global was amazing and i have such a fun time working there.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working at the fast pace environment. it was a hard experience but it taught me to get used t the fast pace
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the animals I loved being able to work around animals because its something i want to do in the future.
A Typical day at work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 14, 2014
Pros: loved this job did not want to leave
Cons: haveing to leave due to life changing
I would start my day by moping and cleaning for the day ahead. going over inventory taking list of expired and damaged product. read and study about new and popular products. stocked shelfs and assisted customers with inquires. operated register and debit machine made sales and always gave my best posable additude forward.
Productive and Fun Work place
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2014
Carried out many cashier duties, and experiences on costumer services.
Nice People
Help with pet store (Former Employee), Acton, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Global Pet Foods, In Acton have nice people working for them and will answer most of the question you have. I like going in and being talked to unlike most pet stores.
Fun when the boss wasn't around
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Alliston, ONSeptember 9, 2014
I loved the customers and helping them with their pet's needs, and the environment was great.
Just another day at work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Pierrefonds, QCMay 23, 2014
day starts at 9;30 in the morning and finishes at 6:30
Monday to Wednesday is the same routine
get in the store pass the broom, check the shelves see if everything is faced properly and at the same time deal with customer looking for food
Thursday is delivery day so unload trucks check order put order out onto the shelves.

supper fun co worker to deal with all the time
the most enjoyable part of the day is dealing with customers
Slow paced workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work would be facing, restocking items, dusting shelves, cleaning up any messes animals have made, answering any questions a customer may have had, putting away merchandise that have been delivered and sweeping/washing floors at the end of the night. I haven't learned anything by working at this business. My co-workers while i worked at this establishment were kind and very helpful when needed. There was nothing really that hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the animals come into the store and the friendly conversations you have with people.
Great environment
Retail Staff (Former Employee), Ajax, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: pet food at a discount/cost
I enjoyed working with the Global Pet foods team for over 2 years. I learned a great deal about pet food and the different kind and ingredients. The management was great as were all the co-workers
A great place to work.
Salesperson (Former Employee), Trenton, ONAugust 30, 2013
I learned a lot at this workplace and I loved having a variety of tasks from salesperson, janitorial and animal care duties.
A great place to learn!
Sales and Advice (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 16, 2013
Pros: very friendly pleasant atmosphere
Cons: the owner
If you work hard here, the manager will care. She's a sweet woman, interested in you, and will do whatever she can to get you days off you need.
The place is a great opportunity to learn about pet nutrition, both scientific diet styles, and Holistic nutrition.
It does require heavy lifting, as one of the key parts of this customer service driven store is carry outs. And lets face it, customers enjoy a hand out with their 30lb bags of dog food, and 40lb bags of cat litter.
Customer service is major. I can not stress that enough. This store, under the newer management, has gained many customers from service alone.
While if you work hard, job security is great, advancement is non-existent. The Manager is awesome, the owner a fool.
Benefits are also non-existent, and while there is a monthly bonus opportunity, its not guaranteed, and not very big.
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Lindsay, ONMarch 4, 2013
Pros: franchise owned so experiences will vary mine was very good
Cons: franchise owned so experiences will vary
Good place to work if your a student but they are franchise owned so experiences will vary, my job there was perfect for while I was in school mangers are great