Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

Best job I've had
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON13 October 2017
I've worked at 2 seperate globals now , the first sadly closed down and now I'm at global in waterdown Ontario , it is truly one of the best jobs I've had and I've done lots from other pet stores to construction , catering, wedding planning even bartending.
Managment is wonderful and very easy to work with. Coworkers are awesome and customers are so kind.
The only down fall is the pay but it is retail so you can't expect much above minimum wage and I wish there were more hours but other wise it's a great place to work especially if you love animals and giving great care to animals.
They are knowledgeable and help you learn as much as you can .
And they actually care for animals health unlike a lot of other pet store chains.
Pros
Great company, good managment, wonderful HEALTHY choices for pet care.
Cons
None.
Was not a pleasant experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2017
The location I worked at valued it's customers much more than staff. I was often given the same tasks over and over again that no one else wanted (such as cleaning the shelves, sweeping/mopping, taking out the trash, bringing signs in and out of the store). I don't mind doing these tasks, but was bothered that I was only stuck with them because no one else wanted to do them and management was okay with people passing off their share of the tasks on other people.
Management also chose favorites and made it obvious who was respected more. The favorite staff members would receive incentives and gifts, while others were not. The working conditions were extremely unfair and I did not feel like a valued employee at all.
I was treated poorly because I have a slight mental disability. Sometimes I make mistakes by confusing one thing with the other, but I usually catch my mistake immediately and do my best to rectify it. The manager would act like I was dumb and treat me as such. I also have a physical aspect of me that I've very self conscious about and it was brought up often and made me feel very insecure.
Pros
I got to play with animals as they came into the store.
Cons
Management chose favorites, pay was not good, hours were almost non existent
Great all around
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 August 2017
Managment was great! They really cared about customers and their employees. We were always respected and never underestimated. They gave us a lot of freedom and responsibility which then allowed us to learn and get more out of our job.
Pros
Get to pet dogs
Cons
Too many dogs to pet
Fun people to work with, and animals always coming in store!
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE30 June 2017
I love working at Global Pet Foods. The associates are fun and the work environment is fairly relaxing. I love when people bring in there pets and have questions about food or toys or treats etc. Most people who do are truly carrying for there pets and it makes you try extra hard to help them find what will work best for there pet. Working in a pet job makes going to work all that more enjoyable.
Pros
Great discount for my own pet foods. Fun staff. Pets coming in store.
Cons
Lots of lifting, been there a while and I just feel like my salary is not to where is should be, with all the work and extra time I put in.
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 June 2017
great environment friendly staff good training no cxomplaints was a pleasant experience got to see pets and work at the same time scheduling was fair and gave youschedule ahead oftime
Trash company with garbage management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 June 2017
I was fired the second day of work for making two mistakes. Probably carried over 600 pounds of dog food. The supervisor was smug, arrogant and self absorbed. It was full of cliques and I'd have to say it was one of thee worst retail experiences I've had, and I used to manage retail. Truly a joke of a business.
Pros
Nothing. You get 15 percent off on purchases, but that means nothing unless you have a pet.
Cons
No training. If you have little knowledge of dog food they'll treat you like a moron.
Great people, Great place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2017
Good people, and good place to work. Management was great, and co workers were good. Small business feel to a franchise making it better to work in then a corporate environment.
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON5 April 2017
Great in field experience, I learned so much from all of my co-workers and the bosses help me in the future. This was my first sales job, that really helped me engage in more interpersonal work.
Excellent source of experience and skill development
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB31 March 2017
My job at Global Pet Foods, Red Deer, was an excellent source of experience and skill development. I worked in the retail stores before being promoted to the warehouse manager position.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 February 2017
I've worked here for quite a few years. The only part I wouldn't say are 5 star is pay (hey, it's retail, you're not going to get rich)!

You are expected to be engaged and pleasant, be willing to learn, and be mature and somewhat independent. It can be tough to keep busy during the inevitable slow periods, but if you're motivated, you can always find something above and beyond assigned tasks to keep busy with! And going the extra mile is always noticed and appreciated!

A big perk is getting to know awesome customers who frequently bring in their pets. If you're an animal lover, getting to bond and help pets and their owners be as happy and healthy is a great reward. And a shift will rarely go by without getting puppy cuddles!

The owner works really hard to keep the stores performing. She can be demanding if that appears to NOT be happening, but she is also one of the fairest and most considerate people you'll ever meet! She will go to the wall for you in any professional or personal matter if you've earned it.
Pros
Too many to count!
Cons
The pay...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
I enjoyed working at this company. I got to learn a lot about pet care, and it made me more interested in the pet industry. Sometimes it was hard to find things to do, which made days drag on, but overall it was a pretty good experience. There were times where one of the owners made me feel bad about my mistakes, but it wasn't enough to make me dislike this job. I wish I had gotten to work here longer, but unfortunately got let go, which was slightly frustrating because it happened just before the holidays.
Overall, I would recommend giving this job a try, and I would work for Global Pet Foods again if the opportunity was given.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Sometimes there was nothing to do
Glorified Retail Clerk
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 January 2017
Fun place to work -especially when people bring their dogs in. Great place to acquire knowledge about healthy choices in pet food. Learn lots about supplements and health depending on which store you work at.
No benefits, barely above minimum wage
Management needs to appreciate value of staff more
Pros
Dogs, friendly customers
Cons
Weekend, nights, no benefits, no room for advancement
Fun workplace, and atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  1747 Queen Street East Toronto ON, M4L 3Y421 November 2016
A typical day at Global for me would be to:
• Opening duties
• Confirming orders, adding on to existing orders
• Supervising Co-Workers, delegating duties
• Providing excellent Customer Service to our clients, getting to know our clients by name, treating them like family with a warm welcoming experience.
• receiving deliveries, checking invoices, putting away stock-rotating stock
• Proficient in PointOfSales System - LBOSS
• Closing duties

Always made friends and got along easily with co workers, teaching new staff the ropes, making them feel comfortable in the workplace while learning new things.

Hardest part of the job would be receiving Show Orders, that's when we would receive 3 times the normal amount, trying to figure out where bulk product would go, but still keeping the store clean and inviting.

The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting the dogs, cats, and sometimes small animals who would come in the store (with their owner of course) giving the dogs treats, petting them, and making new friends!
Pros
Great staff, boss, management, natural pet nutrition, discount on pet food and accessories for staff
Cons
Long hours - 9 - 11 hour shifts depending on day from open to close.
Awful!
Pet Nutrition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 November 2016
Don't get me wrong, the customers were amazing and the education there is great but it's a big game of favourites. Everyone is in to benefit only themselves and they'll destroy you if you threaten that. I was promised a raise I never received, was also promised a "fair schedule" and worked only nights for 4 months straight. They also mass hire and don't train them so it's basically like you're babysitting, and in a job where you can kill a customers animal by making the wrong recommendation it creates incredible stress. I would NOT recommend working there.
Pros
Discount, Customers, Dogs
Cons
Long hours, Low wages, High Work Load.
Busy and very productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB14 November 2016
Work day was busy but productive
I learned a lot about pet food and pet health
Management was good to work with
Co-workers were good to work with
The hardest part of my job was finding space for all the stock
The most enjoyable part of my job was the physical part
Pros
the physical part
Cons
to much over stock
Bad management
Pet Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 November 2016
They expect you to be trained before coming in. Do minimal training, then belittle you for not knowing the specifics of the company. Force you to push products based on who took the manger out for supper last. They pretend to help customers find the best food for your pet, but don't let you suggest perfectly good (if not the best) foods, because the manger doesn't get any extra benefits from the company.
They will also lie about your dismissal.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not honest, bad management
A great place for an animal lover to work.
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON29 October 2016
A typical day at work was stocking and facing the shelves, taking care of the instore pets, helping to unload the trucks, helping customers carry the heavier loads to their cars.

The owners are really nice and laid back.

The hardest part of the job, was when it was slow. It's a small store, so there were often slow days without much to do.

The part I enjoyed most was getting to work with people who love animals, and taking care of the animals that live in the store, despite not really liking cats.
Cons
Can sometimes be slow.
Bad Managing, Emotional Abuse
General Labor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Manning Crossing23 August 2016
I like the company but the manager I had at my store was the worst anyone could have asked for. He went out of his way to make work unbearable for any of his employees and never kept anyone past 6months.

He had my one coworker so freaked out she drove 30 mins at 1 am to come back and make sure she locked the door. Even though she knew she locked it she had just failed to do the habit of pulling the door handle.

I once got a write up for something I didn't do that before the write up was given my coworker admitted to him in front of me that she had done it and I was still given the write up.

I do not think anyone should have to work for him ever.
Pros
Were aloud to read on shift
Cons
The manager/Owner
Was Fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2016
This was a great place to work. I made lots of friends and even hung out with my co-workers outside of work. We worked hard and learned a lot. However, management changed and things went downhill from there. 4 people quit at once due to this issue and the place wasn't the same anymore. The pay wasn't the greatest, but the work environment was worth it. I was very happy there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Unsteady hours
Great Job to grow in Pet knowledge and awareness
Pet Food &Supplies Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stellarton, NS18 April 2016
A typical day at work requires general merchanizing, receiving product orders, managing the cash registers, and most importantly, helping customers find the right food, treats or accessories for their pet. This job has provided me a lot with a lot of insight into how to better care for my own pets due to the constant product knowlege training.