Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
I enjoyed working at this company. I got to learn a lot about pet care, and it made me more interested in the pet industry. Sometimes it was hard to find things to do, which made days drag on, but overall it was a pretty good experience. There were times where one of the owners made me feel bad about my mistakes, but it wasn't enough to make me dislike this job. I wish I had gotten to work here longer, but unfortunately got let go, which was slightly frustrating because it happened just before the holidays.
Overall, I would recommend giving this job a try, and I would work for Global Pet Foods again if the opportunity was given.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Sometimes there was nothing to do
Glorified Retail Clerk
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 January 2017
Fun place to work -especially when people bring their dogs in. Great place to acquire knowledge about healthy choices in pet food. Learn lots about supplements and health depending on which store you work at.
No benefits, barely above minimum wage
Management needs to appreciate value of staff more
Pros
Dogs, friendly customers
Cons
Weekend, nights, no benefits, no room for advancement
Awful!
Pet Nutrition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 November 2016
Don't get me wrong, the customers were amazing and the education there is great but it's a big game of favourites. Everyone is in to benefit only themselves and they'll destroy you if you threaten that. I was promised a raise I never received, was also promised a "fair schedule" and worked only nights for 4 months straight. They also mass hire and don't train them so it's basically like you're babysitting, and in a job where you can kill a customers animal by making the wrong recommendation it creates incredible stress. I would NOT recommend working there.
Pros
Discount, Customers, Dogs
Cons
Long hours, Low wages, High Work Load.
Bad management
Pet Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 November 2016
They expect you to be trained before coming in. Do minimal training, then belittle you for not knowing the specifics of the company. Force you to push products based on who took the manger out for supper last. They pretend to help customers find the best food for your pet, but don't let you suggest perfectly good (if not the best) foods, because the manger doesn't get any extra benefits from the company.
They will also lie about your dismissal.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not honest, bad management
A great place for an animal lover to work.
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON29 October 2016
A typical day at work was stocking and facing the shelves, taking care of the instore pets, helping to unload the trucks, helping customers carry the heavier loads to their cars.

The owners are really nice and laid back.

The hardest part of the job, was when it was slow. It's a small store, so there were often slow days without much to do.

The part I enjoyed most was getting to work with people who love animals, and taking care of the animals that live in the store, despite not really liking cats.
Cons
Can sometimes be slow.
Busy and very productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB14 November 2016
Work day was busy but productive
I learned a lot about pet food and pet health
Management was good to work with
Co-workers were good to work with
The hardest part of my job was finding space for all the stock
The most enjoyable part of my job was the physical part
Pros
the physical part
Cons
to much over stock
Bad Managing, Emotional Abuse
General Labor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Manning Crossing23 August 2016
I like the company but the manager I had at my store was the worst anyone could have asked for. He went out of his way to make work unbearable for any of his employees and never kept anyone past 6months.

He had my one coworker so freaked out she drove 30 mins at 1 am to come back and make sure she locked the door. Even though she knew she locked it she had just failed to do the habit of pulling the door handle.

I once got a write up for something I didn't do that before the write up was given my coworker admitted to him in front of me that she had done it and I was still given the write up.

I do not think anyone should have to work for him ever.
Pros
Were aloud to read on shift
Cons
The manager/Owner
Was Fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2016
This was a great place to work. I made lots of friends and even hung out with my co-workers outside of work. We worked hard and learned a lot. However, management changed and things went downhill from there. 4 people quit at once due to this issue and the place wasn't the same anymore. The pay wasn't the greatest, but the work environment was worth it. I was very happy there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Unsteady hours
Fun workplace, and atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  1747 Queen Street East Toronto ON, M4L 3Y421 November 2016
A typical day at Global for me would be to:
• Opening duties
• Confirming orders, adding on to existing orders
• Supervising Co-Workers, delegating duties
• Providing excellent Customer Service to our clients, getting to know our clients by name, treating them like family with a warm welcoming experience.
• receiving deliveries, checking invoices, putting away stock-rotating stock
• Proficient in PointOfSales System - LBOSS
• Closing duties

Always made friends and got along easily with co workers, teaching new staff the ropes, making them feel comfortable in the workplace while learning new things.

Hardest part of the job would be receiving Show Orders, that's when we would receive 3 times the normal amount, trying to figure out where bulk product would go, but still keeping the store clean and inviting.

The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting the dogs, cats, and sometimes small animals who would come in the store (with their owner of course) giving the dogs treats, petting them, and making new friends!
Pros
Great staff, boss, management, natural pet nutrition, discount on pet food and accessories for staff
Cons
Long hours - 9 - 11 hour shifts depending on day from open to close.
Great Job to grow in Pet knowledge and awareness
Pet Food &Supplies Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stellarton, NS18 April 2016
A typical day at work requires general merchanizing, receiving product orders, managing the cash registers, and most importantly, helping customers find the right food, treats or accessories for their pet. This job has provided me a lot with a lot of insight into how to better care for my own pets due to the constant product knowlege training.
Friendly and positive work environment
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2016
A typical day at global is very slow paced. It involves assisting customers through out the store, providing them with useful information, and processing transactions. I have learned so much about the pet industry, and enjoy my time spent there. Management and co workers are all excellent people to work with as well.
Unappreciated, over worked & hostile environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 December 2015
Most of the people who work there are wonderful, however, there are certain people that are in charge that really shouldn't be. They push alot of sales on the employees and want you to up sell alot. Expect to be working at all of the locations and flipped around alot. The schedule changes sometimes the same day that you go into work and they just expect you to change your whole day around. The customers are great and there is some great products if used correctly. Overall, the unprofessional atmosphere, the gossip between co workers, miscommunication and poor management skills land them a 1 star. With the staff constantly changing it's a wonder how customers can even find an associate that they can trust.
Pros
Regular Customers, some employees
Cons
management, schedule changes, unorganized
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 December 2015
The job involves lots of various activities. It forces you to adapt depending on what needs to be done. There is a lot to learn and the management are more than willing to teach. The culture is good since there is not personal drama.
Rewarding and Flexible Job With Great Staff and Management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 April 2016
An average day involves processing transactions and maintaining the appearance of the store. Challenging customer requests are frequent; many come to Global when their pet has a food allergy or needs to find the right collar or harness to stop their dog from pulling. A thorough knowledge of animal nutrition and care is needed to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
The owner and manager of the store are very friendly and kind to their staff. Their leadership and positivity create a supportive and enjoyable environment to work in. Staff hired here are hired selectively due to the specific level of knowledge needed. My coworkers are a great asset to Global Pet Foods because the are always working efficiently and contributing to the team atmosphere of the store.
The hardest part of the job is hearing from regular customers who have lost a dear pet that we at the store may have known since the owner first got the pet.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the supportive and positive environment. The attitudes of the owner and manager encourage staff to strive for excellence in customer service, and to really go the extra mile.
Pros
Great staff
Slow paced workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB14 April 2014
A typical day at work would be facing, restocking items, dusting shelves, cleaning up any messes animals have made, answering any questions a customer may have had, putting away merchandise that have been delivered and sweeping/washing floors at the end of the night. I haven't learned anything by working at this business. My co-workers while i worked at this establishment were kind and very helpful when needed. There was nothing really that hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the animals come into the store and the friendly conversations you have with people.
Largest Canadian-owned per specialty retailer who pride themselves on being pet nutrition and care experts.
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario14 June 2015
I enjoyed working for a company who supply their front line pet specialists with the tools and information to help pet parents make informed decisions both on nutrition and overall health and well-being of their companion pets.
Just another day at work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QC23 May 2014
day starts at 9;30 in the morning and finishes at 6:30
Monday to Wednesday is the same routine
get in the store pass the broom, check the shelves see if everything is faced properly and at the same time deal with customer looking for food
Thursday is delivery day so unload trucks check order put order out onto the shelves.

supper fun co worker to deal with all the time
the most enjoyable part of the day is dealing with customers
A Typical day at work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 December 2014
I would start my day by moping and cleaning for the day ahead. going over inventory taking list of expired and damaged product. read and study about new and popular products. stocked shelfs and assisted customers with inquires. operated register and debit machine made sales and always gave my best posable additude forward.
Pros
loved this job did not want to leave
Cons
haveing to leave due to life changing
A company that needs to improve their hiring techniqes.
I was hoping it to be sales associate. (Former Employee) –  I was hoping it to be Halifax.6 February 2013
I would of liked to of worked for Global Pet Foods but when I applied for a position with them they didn't give my application the "time of day". I could maybe understand that if I had no experience but I have over 17 years of customer service experience and I love animals and own a beautiful dog. My husband and myself had also been regular customers at another location which was another reason I applied to work for this company. It seemed like it would be a really nice place to work. Any ways It didn't happen and because of that I will no longer be a customer as well. This company needs to look strongly at the way employees are being hired and by who. If this company wants the best employees possible they truly aren't showing it.
Pros
great products.
Cons
bad hiring process.
A great place to learn!
Sales and Advice (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 May 2013
If you work hard here, the manager will care. She's a sweet woman, interested in you, and will do whatever she can to get you days off you need.
The place is a great opportunity to learn about pet nutrition, both scientific diet styles, and Holistic nutrition.
It does require heavy lifting, as one of the key parts of this customer service driven store is carry outs. And lets face it, customers enjoy a hand out with their 30lb bags of dog food, and 40lb bags of cat litter.
Customer service is major. I can not stress that enough. This store, under the newer management, has gained many customers from service alone.
While if you work hard, job security is great, advancement is non-existent. The Manager is awesome, the owner a fool.
Benefits are also non-existent, and while there is a monthly bonus opportunity, its not guaranteed, and not very big.
Pros
Very friendly pleasant atmosphere
Cons
The owner

2.9