Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

Awful!
Pet Nutrition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 November 2016
Don't get me wrong, the customers were amazing and the education there is great but it's a big game of favourites. Everyone is in to benefit only themselves and they'll destroy you if you threaten that. I was promised a raise I never received, was also promised a "fair schedule" and worked only nights for 4 months straight. They also mass hire and don't train them so it's basically like you're babysitting, and in a job where you can kill a customers animal by making the wrong recommendation it creates incredible stress. I would NOT recommend working there.
Pros
Discount, Customers, Dogs
Cons
Long hours, Low wages, High Work Load.
Bad management
Pet Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 November 2016
They expect you to be trained before coming in. Do minimal training, then belittle you for not knowing the specifics of the company. Force you to push products based on who took the manger out for supper last. They pretend to help customers find the best food for your pet, but don't let you suggest perfectly good (if not the best) foods, because the manger doesn't get any extra benefits from the company.
They will also lie about your dismissal.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not honest, bad management
Fun workplace, and atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  1747 Queen Street East Toronto ON, M4L 3Y421 November 2016
A typical day at Global for me would be to:
• Opening duties
• Confirming orders, adding on to existing orders
• Supervising Co-Workers, delegating duties
• Providing excellent Customer Service to our clients, getting to know our clients by name, treating them like family with a warm welcoming experience.
• receiving deliveries, checking invoices, putting away stock-rotating stock
• Proficient in PointOfSales System - LBOSS
• Closing duties

Always made friends and got along easily with co workers, teaching new staff the ropes, making them feel comfortable in the workplace while learning new things.

Hardest part of the job would be receiving Show Orders, that's when we would receive 3 times the normal amount, trying to figure out where bulk product would go, but still keeping the store clean and inviting.

The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting the dogs, cats, and sometimes small animals who would come in the store (with their owner of course) giving the dogs treats, petting them, and making new friends!
Pros
Great staff, boss, management, natural pet nutrition, discount on pet food and accessories for staff
Cons
Long hours - 9 - 11 hour shifts depending on day from open to close.
Bad Managing, Emotional Abuse
General Labor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Manning Crossing23 August 2016
I like the company but the manager I had at my store was the worst anyone could have asked for. He went out of his way to make work unbearable for any of his employees and never kept anyone past 6months.

He had my one coworker so freaked out she drove 30 mins at 1 am to come back and make sure she locked the door. Even though she knew she locked it she had just failed to do the habit of pulling the door handle.

I once got a write up for something I didn't do that before the write up was given my coworker admitted to him in front of me that she had done it and I was still given the write up.

I do not think anyone should have to work for him ever.
Pros
Were aloud to read on shift
Cons
The manager/Owner
A great place for an animal lover to work.
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON29 October 2016
A typical day at work was stocking and facing the shelves, taking care of the instore pets, helping to unload the trucks, helping customers carry the heavier loads to their cars.

The owners are really nice and laid back.

The hardest part of the job, was when it was slow. It's a small store, so there were often slow days without much to do.

The part I enjoyed most was getting to work with people who love animals, and taking care of the animals that live in the store, despite not really liking cats.
Cons
Can sometimes be slow.
Was Fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2016
This was a great place to work. I made lots of friends and even hung out with my co-workers outside of work. We worked hard and learned a lot. However, management changed and things went downhill from there. 4 people quit at once due to this issue and the place wasn't the same anymore. The pay wasn't the greatest, but the work environment was worth it. I was very happy there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Unsteady hours
fun but boring place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 April 2016
I was hired on and got let go right before my 3 months was up with very little reason given. I was in time for every shift, put away most of the deliveries plus doing cash, completed tasks list and everything asked of me.

It was a fun place to work but the location I worked at was slow and very boring at times. Not enough tasks were given to stay busy all day..

The manager was nice and quiet but not outgoing, never upselled, and had no idea how to communicate or deligate. Any mistake you made she'd tell higher ups. It's almost like she wants to be on her own in the store and is looking for reasons to be alone or get people fired.

Next to no training. Expected to learn everything on your own basically. Any.mistake that was made regardless of being new was frowned upon or punished. The owner was a stressed out and angry individual. It seemed like all she cared about was herself and money

The store hired about 4 new people and none of them worked out. Some didn't show up for shifts, called in sick, or kept switching shifts. In all honesty it's probably because they realized the owner was crazy. I'm sure they felt they had zero job security.

Advice to management and the owner would be to more intensive interviews first not just a five minute one to make sure you're hiring the ideal candidate. Take more time to properly train employees. Don't just leave them to their own devices. Allow for mistakes to be made. Instead of firing people and plowing through a high number of employees take the ones who actually show up and work hard and develop them into
  more... a well trained sales associate. It's not going to happen overnight. Expectations for a minimum wage job are way too high and unfair.

I'd never recommend this job to a friend.
Pros
fun, easy
Cons
boring at times, poor management, poor pay, terrible owner
A great place to learn!
Sales and Advice (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 May 2013
If you work hard here, the manager will care. She's a sweet woman, interested in you, and will do whatever she can to get you days off you need.
The place is a great opportunity to learn about pet nutrition, both scientific diet styles, and Holistic nutrition.
It does require heavy lifting, as one of the key parts of this customer service driven store is carry outs. And lets face it, customers enjoy a hand out with their 30lb bags of dog food, and 40lb bags of cat litter.
Customer service is major. I can not stress that enough. This store, under the newer management, has gained many customers from service alone.
While if you work hard, job security is great, advancement is non-existent. The Manager is awesome, the owner a fool.
Benefits are also non-existent, and while there is a monthly bonus opportunity, its not guaranteed, and not very big.
Pros
Very friendly pleasant atmosphere
Cons
The owner
Great Job to grow in Pet knowledge and awareness
Pet Food &Supplies Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stellarton, NS18 April 2016
A typical day at work requires general merchanizing, receiving product orders, managing the cash registers, and most importantly, helping customers find the right food, treats or accessories for their pet. This job has provided me a lot with a lot of insight into how to better care for my own pets due to the constant product knowlege training.
Friendly and positive work environment
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2016
A typical day at global is very slow paced. It involves assisting customers through out the store, providing them with useful information, and processing transactions. I have learned so much about the pet industry, and enjoy my time spent there. Management and co workers are all excellent people to work with as well.
Rewarding and Flexible Job With Great Staff and Management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 April 2016
An average day involves processing transactions and maintaining the appearance of the store. Challenging customer requests are frequent; many come to Global when their pet has a food allergy or needs to find the right collar or harness to stop their dog from pulling. A thorough knowledge of animal nutrition and care is needed to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
The owner and manager of the store are very friendly and kind to their staff. Their leadership and positivity create a supportive and enjoyable environment to work in. Staff hired here are hired selectively due to the specific level of knowledge needed. My coworkers are a great asset to Global Pet Foods because the are always working efficiently and contributing to the team atmosphere of the store.
The hardest part of the job is hearing from regular customers who have lost a dear pet that we at the store may have known since the owner first got the pet.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the supportive and positive environment. The attitudes of the owner and manager encourage staff to strive for excellence in customer service, and to really go the extra mile.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Unappreciated, over worked & hostile environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 December 2015
Most of the people who work there are wonderful, however, there are certain people that are in charge that really shouldn't be. They push alot of sales on the employees and want you to up sell alot. Expect to be working at all of the locations and flipped around alot. The schedule changes sometimes the same day that you go into work and they just expect you to change your whole day around. The customers are great and there is some great products if used correctly. Overall, the unprofessional atmosphere, the gossip between co workers, miscommunication and poor management skills land them a 1 star. With the staff constantly changing it's a wonder how customers can even find an associate that they can trust.
Pros
Regular Customers, some employees
Cons
management, schedule changes, unorganized
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 December 2015
The job involves lots of various activities. It forces you to adapt depending on what needs to be done. There is a lot to learn and the management are more than willing to teach. The culture is good since there is not personal drama.
Nice place to work if you love animals
Part time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON16 January 2016
Working at this particular store was very chill most of the time, it's alot smaller than petsmart and rens so theres a more intimate relationship with the customer. Most of the day consists of restocking food items, answering phone calls and cashing people out.

i learned more about the pet food industry for sure and the value of good and healthy ingredients for your pet. the different values of raw food, and the importance of checking protein values and glycemic index in foods.

I had no issues with management, they were the some of the nicest people I have ever had the opportunity to work for.

I barely saw my coworker, just h and bye between shifts. It was a tiny shop, so it was usually one person working at teh store at a time.

The hardest part was always dealing with annoying customers who displayed a sense of entitlement, asked rhetorical questions or acted "irate" to get discounts or free stuff. Other than that it was putting away heavy food bags or getting heavy food bags for customers. Especially the ones at the bottom of a pile!

The most enjoyable part? working practically alone. sometimes the store would be slow during the week and i could watch netflix on my phone or do homework in between customers. over all very chill. and of course my super nice managers. i never had any issues with them at all.
Pros
discount on pet food, my managers were nice people, love animals
Cons
working sundays, heavy lifting (big dog food bags)
Great work space and an amazing atmosphere
Employee, Global Pet Foods (Former Employee) –  110, North Front Street, Belleville, Ontario26 January 2015
My typical day at work con sited of opening the store getting everything set up for the day, opening till, cleaning, facing shelves, and taking care of the animals. usually throughout the day it would go like customers come in I help them find what there looking for, ring them out on cash and they would leave. usually i would be stocking shelves on spare time and facing them as well to maintain the stores integrity.
i learned about specific food diets and i learned basic skill sets to using in jobs that i would have in the future such as cash, customer service and team work.
the co-workers and management at global was amazing and i have such a fun time working there.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working at the fast pace environment. it was a hard experience but it taught me to get used t the fast pace
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the animals I loved being able to work around animals because its something i want to do in the future.
Pros
animals, long hours, fun environment
Awful Management
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alliston2 October 2012
Took a major pay cut to work at Global as a sales clerk. Thought it would be a great place to work as I would like to become an animal nutritionist. The job itself was fine, lots of interaction with customers, which I quite enjoyed. Management on the other hand was very lacking. With customers she was great, with staff, not so much. I was told not to discuss my pets with customers because they don't want to hear about it. It is a pet store, right? Management talking about other staff, unsafe practices like climbing high ladders with no one else in the store, the bathroom is located in the basement, which the public has access to - when you work by yourself, that is very unsafe. Left to work in store alone without proper training on store procedures. I could go on & on.I left before my probation was finished and found out that management had told staff at other stores she had fired me!! How unprofessional! Still considering going to the labour board over their unsafe practices.
Pros
great training for products
Cons
management, lack of training for staff, 12 hour shifts, unsafe practices
Global Review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS18 June 2012
I loved my job at Global Pet Foods. I am an animal lover and took pride in helping customers make the right choices for their pets. I learned that there is a lot of things to consider when choosing products for your pet. A typical day included receiving orders, stocking shelves, entering new product into database, explaining the pros and cons of foods and accessories for particular animals based on breed, size, age and needs. Hardest part of the job was nothing. I didn't find anything hard about this job.

Management was under experienced. The manager could do the paper work but lacked experience in dealing with employees, scheduling and wasn't much of an animal lover which I think is key in this type of business. Only 3 of us worked in the store, the manager, myself and the manager's son.
Pros
working with the customers, including the 4 legged ones, helping decide on products
Cons
management lacked experience.
Decent place to work
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 August 2015
Worked with nice people. Must be able to lift heavy objects. Must be able to deal with over or under scheduling. Franchisees are independently-minded.
Pros
Free lunches, occasional bonuses
Cons
Hours are difficult to negotiate
A company that needs to improve their hiring techniqes.
I was hoping it to be sales associate. (Former Employee) –  I was hoping it to be Halifax.6 February 2013
I would of liked to of worked for Global Pet Foods but when I applied for a position with them they didn't give my application the "time of day". I could maybe understand that if I had no experience but I have over 17 years of customer service experience and I love animals and own a beautiful dog. My husband and myself had also been regular customers at another location which was another reason I applied to work for this company. It seemed like it would be a really nice place to work. Any ways It didn't happen and because of that I will no longer be a customer as well. This company needs to look strongly at the way employees are being hired and by who. If this company wants the best employees possible they truly aren't showing it.
Pros
great products.
Cons
bad hiring process.
Slow paced workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB14 April 2014
A typical day at work would be facing, restocking items, dusting shelves, cleaning up any messes animals have made, answering any questions a customer may have had, putting away merchandise that have been delivered and sweeping/washing floors at the end of the night. I haven't learned anything by working at this business. My co-workers while i worked at this establishment were kind and very helpful when needed. There was nothing really that hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the animals come into the store and the friendly conversations you have with people.

2.6