Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

Glorified Retail Clerk
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 January 2017
Fun place to work -especially when people bring their dogs in. Great place to acquire knowledge about healthy choices in pet food. Learn lots about supplements and health depending on which store you work at.
No benefits, barely above minimum wage
Management needs to appreciate value of staff more
Pros
Dogs, friendly customers
Cons
Weekend, nights, no benefits, no room for advancement
Fun workplace, and atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  1747 Queen Street East Toronto ON, M4L 3Y421 November 2016
A typical day at Global for me would be to:
• Opening duties
• Confirming orders, adding on to existing orders
• Supervising Co-Workers, delegating duties
• Providing excellent Customer Service to our clients, getting to know our clients by name, treating them like family with a warm welcoming experience.
• receiving deliveries, checking invoices, putting away stock-rotating stock
• Proficient in PointOfSales System - LBOSS
• Closing duties

Always made friends and got along easily with co workers, teaching new staff the ropes, making them feel comfortable in the workplace while learning new things.

Hardest part of the job would be receiving Show Orders, that's when we would receive 3 times the normal amount, trying to figure out where bulk product would go, but still keeping the store clean and inviting.

The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting the dogs, cats, and sometimes small animals who would come in the store (with their owner of course) giving the dogs treats, petting them, and making new friends!
Pros
Great staff, boss, management, natural pet nutrition, discount on pet food and accessories for staff
Cons
Long hours - 9 - 11 hour shifts depending on day from open to close.
Awful!
Pet Nutrition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 November 2016
Don't get me wrong, the customers were amazing and the education there is great but it's a big game of favourites. Everyone is in to benefit only themselves and they'll destroy you if you threaten that. I was promised a raise I never received, was also promised a "fair schedule" and worked only nights for 4 months straight. They also mass hire and don't train them so it's basically like you're babysitting, and in a job where you can kill a customers animal by making the wrong recommendation it creates incredible stress. I would NOT recommend working there.
Pros
Discount, Customers, Dogs
Cons
Long hours, Low wages, High Work Load.
Busy and very productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB14 November 2016
Work day was busy but productive
I learned a lot about pet food and pet health
Management was good to work with
Co-workers were good to work with
The hardest part of my job was finding space for all the stock
The most enjoyable part of my job was the physical part
Pros
the physical part
Cons
to much over stock
Bad management
Pet Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 November 2016
They expect you to be trained before coming in. Do minimal training, then belittle you for not knowing the specifics of the company. Force you to push products based on who took the manger out for supper last. They pretend to help customers find the best food for your pet, but don't let you suggest perfectly good (if not the best) foods, because the manger doesn't get any extra benefits from the company.
They will also lie about your dismissal.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not honest, bad management
A great place for an animal lover to work.
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON29 October 2016
A typical day at work was stocking and facing the shelves, taking care of the instore pets, helping to unload the trucks, helping customers carry the heavier loads to their cars.

The owners are really nice and laid back.

The hardest part of the job, was when it was slow. It's a small store, so there were often slow days without much to do.

The part I enjoyed most was getting to work with people who love animals, and taking care of the animals that live in the store, despite not really liking cats.
Cons
Can sometimes be slow.
Bad Managing, Emotional Abuse
General Labor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Manning Crossing23 August 2016
I like the company but the manager I had at my store was the worst anyone could have asked for. He went out of his way to make work unbearable for any of his employees and never kept anyone past 6months.

He had my one coworker so freaked out she drove 30 mins at 1 am to come back and make sure she locked the door. Even though she knew she locked it she had just failed to do the habit of pulling the door handle.

I once got a write up for something I didn't do that before the write up was given my coworker admitted to him in front of me that she had done it and I was still given the write up.

I do not think anyone should have to work for him ever.
Pros
Were aloud to read on shift
Cons
The manager/Owner
Was Fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 May 2016
This was a great place to work. I made lots of friends and even hung out with my co-workers outside of work. We worked hard and learned a lot. However, management changed and things went downhill from there. 4 people quit at once due to this issue and the place wasn't the same anymore. The pay wasn't the greatest, but the work environment was worth it. I was very happy there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Unsteady hours
Great Job to grow in Pet knowledge and awareness
Pet Food &Supplies Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stellarton, NS18 April 2016
A typical day at work requires general merchanizing, receiving product orders, managing the cash registers, and most importantly, helping customers find the right food, treats or accessories for their pet. This job has provided me a lot with a lot of insight into how to better care for my own pets due to the constant product knowlege training.
fun but boring place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 April 2016
I was hired on and got let go right before my 3 months was up with very little reason given. I was in time for every shift, put away most of the deliveries plus doing cash, completed tasks list and everything asked of me.

It was a fun place to work but the location I worked at was slow and very boring at times. Not enough tasks were given to stay busy all day..

The manager was nice and quiet but not outgoing, never upselled, and had no idea how to communicate or deligate. Any mistake you made she'd tell higher ups. It's almost like she wants to be on her own in the store and is looking for reasons to be alone or get people fired.

Next to no training. Expected to learn everything on your own basically. Any.mistake that was made regardless of being new was frowned upon or punished. The owner was a stressed out and angry individual. It seemed like all she cared about was herself and money

The store hired about 4 new people and none of them worked out. Some didn't show up for shifts, called in sick, or kept switching shifts. In all honesty it's probably because they realized the owner was crazy. I'm sure they felt they had zero job security.

Advice to management and the owner would be to more intensive interviews first not just a five minute one to make sure you're hiring the ideal candidate. Take more time to properly train employees. Don't just leave them to their own devices. Allow for mistakes to be made. Instead of firing people and plowing through a high number of employees take the ones who actually show up and work hard and develop them into
  more... a well trained sales associate. It's not going to happen overnight. Expectations for a minimum wage job are way too high and unfair.

I'd never recommend this job to a friend.
Pros
fun, easy
Cons
boring at times, poor management, poor pay, terrible owner
Rewarding and Flexible Job With Great Staff and Management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 April 2016
An average day involves processing transactions and maintaining the appearance of the store. Challenging customer requests are frequent; many come to Global when their pet has a food allergy or needs to find the right collar or harness to stop their dog from pulling. A thorough knowledge of animal nutrition and care is needed to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
The owner and manager of the store are very friendly and kind to their staff. Their leadership and positivity create a supportive and enjoyable environment to work in. Staff hired here are hired selectively due to the specific level of knowledge needed. My coworkers are a great asset to Global Pet Foods because the are always working efficiently and contributing to the team atmosphere of the store.
The hardest part of the job is hearing from regular customers who have lost a dear pet that we at the store may have known since the owner first got the pet.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is the supportive and positive environment. The attitudes of the owner and manager encourage staff to strive for excellence in customer service, and to really go the extra mile.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Friendly and positive work environment
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2016
A typical day at global is very slow paced. It involves assisting customers through out the store, providing them with useful information, and processing transactions. I have learned so much about the pet industry, and enjoy my time spent there. Management and co workers are all excellent people to work with as well.
Nice place to work if you love animals
Part time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON16 January 2016
Working at this particular store was very chill most of the time, it's alot smaller than petsmart and rens so theres a more intimate relationship with the customer. Most of the day consists of restocking food items, answering phone calls and cashing people out.

i learned more about the pet food industry for sure and the value of good and healthy ingredients for your pet. the different values of raw food, and the importance of checking protein values and glycemic index in foods.

I had no issues with management, they were the some of the nicest people I have ever had the opportunity to work for.

I barely saw my coworker, just h and bye between shifts. It was a tiny shop, so it was usually one person working at teh store at a time.

The hardest part was always dealing with annoying customers who displayed a sense of entitlement, asked rhetorical questions or acted "irate" to get discounts or free stuff. Other than that it was putting away heavy food bags or getting heavy food bags for customers. Especially the ones at the bottom of a pile!

The most enjoyable part? working practically alone. sometimes the store would be slow during the week and i could watch netflix on my phone or do homework in between customers. over all very chill. and of course my super nice managers. i never had any issues with them at all.
Pros
discount on pet food, my managers were nice people, love animals
Cons
working sundays, heavy lifting (big dog food bags)
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 December 2015
The job involves lots of various activities. It forces you to adapt depending on what needs to be done. There is a lot to learn and the management are more than willing to teach. The culture is good since there is not personal drama.
Unappreciated, over worked & hostile environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 December 2015
Most of the people who work there are wonderful, however, there are certain people that are in charge that really shouldn't be. They push alot of sales on the employees and want you to up sell alot. Expect to be working at all of the locations and flipped around alot. The schedule changes sometimes the same day that you go into work and they just expect you to change your whole day around. The customers are great and there is some great products if used correctly. Overall, the unprofessional atmosphere, the gossip between co workers, miscommunication and poor management skills land them a 1 star. With the staff constantly changing it's a wonder how customers can even find an associate that they can trust.
Pros
Regular Customers, some employees
Cons
management, schedule changes, unorganized
Decent place to work
Pet Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 August 2015
Worked with nice people. Must be able to lift heavy objects. Must be able to deal with over or under scheduling. Franchisees are independently-minded.
Pros
Free lunches, occasional bonuses
Cons
Hours are difficult to negotiate
Largest Canadian-owned per specialty retailer who pride themselves on being pet nutrition and care experts.
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton, Ontario14 June 2015
I enjoyed working for a company who supply their front line pet specialists with the tools and information to help pet parents make informed decisions both on nutrition and overall health and well-being of their companion pets.
good job, poor management
Customer Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  orangeville5 March 2015
the people were great and customers were friendly but the management was poor with little chance to move up the ladder. I would do it again if not for the manager.
Great work space and an amazing atmosphere
Employee, Global Pet Foods (Former Employee) –  110, North Front Street, Belleville, Ontario26 January 2015
My typical day at work con sited of opening the store getting everything set up for the day, opening till, cleaning, facing shelves, and taking care of the animals. usually throughout the day it would go like customers come in I help them find what there looking for, ring them out on cash and they would leave. usually i would be stocking shelves on spare time and facing them as well to maintain the stores integrity.
i learned about specific food diets and i learned basic skill sets to using in jobs that i would have in the future such as cash, customer service and team work.
the co-workers and management at global was amazing and i have such a fun time working there.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working at the fast pace environment. it was a hard experience but it taught me to get used t the fast pace
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the animals I loved being able to work around animals because its something i want to do in the future.
Pros
animals, long hours, fun environment
A Typical day at work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 December 2014
I would start my day by moping and cleaning for the day ahead. going over inventory taking list of expired and damaged product. read and study about new and popular products. stocked shelfs and assisted customers with inquires. operated register and debit machine made sales and always gave my best posable additude forward.
Pros
loved this job did not want to leave
Cons
haveing to leave due to life changing

2.9