Organization: Glebe Business Improvement Area
Position Title: Communications/Events Coordinator
Employment Definition: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Supervisor: Executive Director
Position Start Date: Immediately
Closing date for applications: April 25, 2013
A unique position working with and in one of Ottawa’s more vibrant urban main streets.
Position: Communications/Events Coordinator
- Energetic, social media savvy individual who will elevate the Glebe Business District through the digital network as well as live on-street
- Self-motivated, creative and detail oriented in coordinating and managing special events including sponsorship opportunities
- Enjoy meeting new people and connecting with them through various social media platforms and engaging the membership through these networks
- Confident writing skills to craft press releases, newsletters and member communications
- To maintain and increase the Glebe's reputation as one of Ottawa's premier shopping area
- Team player
- Assist the Executive Director and work with Board
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good working knowledge of social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Linked-In, Mail Chimp, etc.
- Good working knowledge of WordPress based website
- Database (Access)
- Microsoft Office
- File Management
- Events Management including budget
- Bilingualism is an asset but not required
The Board provides direction to the Executive Director who serves as the CEO.
Responsibilities and Conditions of Employment
1. Social Media Coordination
2. Prioritize social media outlets and be responsible for daily posts/tweets/updates including website. Other duties include proper on line messaging consistent with the direction of the Glebe BIA and relevancy to ensure consistency of messaging across multiple networks, collecting and consolidating online usage statistics and preparing reports specified by the Board on a monthly basis. Manage, maintain and update information on the Glebe BIA website.
3. Online Community Monitoring
Will act as the front line manager for the Glebe BIA by interacting with customers, business owners and fans in real time on various web platforms. Monitor all sites on a regular and consistent basis. Duties also include acting as a liaison across the internet, participating in online conversations and answering questions, offering solutions and mediating conversations, and creating content for feeds and sparking discussion on various social networking sites.
4. Event Coordination and Support
Responsible for research and analysis related to select BIA initiatives. Coordinate special events and promotions via planning and logistics, and communicate with members to provide information on such events/initiatives.Other duties, as may be determined.
5. Administrative Support
Research and prepare e-newsletter and other marketing and communications materials as needed.Responsible for updating member database information, and keep organized files and records of all relevant communication with members. Prepare Board of Management meeting minutes and agenda in a timely fashion, and distribute relevant information to Board as required.
The Glebe BIA Communications/Events Coordinator will work under the direction of and report directly to the Executive Director.
7. Hours of Work
The Glebe BIA Communications/Events Coordinator will work five days or 35 hours per week with some flexibility to allow for evening and weekend work requirements. This will be compensated through time off in lieu of overtime.
8. Terms of Employment
Conditions of employment as stated in the Employee Agreement.
About the The Glebe Business Improvement Area
The Glebe BIA is a local board of the City of Ottawa and a member-serving and funded corporation with over 300 members who own or rent commercial space within its boundaries.
The BIA is responsible for pursuing the strategic marketing and development of the area, including advocacy on issues impacting the BIA, strategic initiatives benefiting the BIA, beautification, marketing, promotions and special events and member communications.