Gilead Sciences Employee Reviews

Incredibly talented team & great work environment!
UI/UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 6, 2016
I was originally brought on as a Front-End Developer, however after working with management and assessing user needs based on UX analysis methods it was clearly evident that the current UI wasn't addressing the complex user needs. Gradually my position transitioned to redesigning the UI and conducting UX design research to gather data.

Overall my experience was great! I had the opportunity to work with and learn from talented and seasoned developers. A typical day would consist of brief in depth meetings to assess daily workloads & how to implement and leverage technologies such as Angular JS, JAVA, javascript libraries, UI design sprints and timelines.
Pros
Company subsidized gourmet food!
Cons
Contract position
50/50 on Most areas
Empower CDS Administrator (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 20, 2016
A typical day at work is a mixed bag of lulls and a deluge of challenging tasks.
What I've learned is to expect anything.
Management is autocratic; this is unfortunately consistent with the industry, and shows no signs of abating.
Co-workers are on edge, most are contractors and are pre-occupied with job security.
Hardest/unpleasant part of the job is that communication style from management is uni directional.
Most enjoyable part of the job thus far is the cafeteria, If I'm being hones. But I'm fairly new so there is hopefully room for that to change.
Good Company, has it's flaws
QA (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJune 9, 2015
The benefits and stock options here are great but the company culture and work life balance are pretty bad. Most employees are doing the work of 3 people and it is impossible to work just a normal 8 hours day. The workload is not only heavy but very demanding as alot of the work is very urgent.

The political nature of this company doesn't allow for quick progress unless a manager personally likes you. Promotions aren't based off of what you know or the work you put in, but instead on if that manager wants you to be promoted or likes you enough to do it.
Pros
rapidly growing company, good benefits
Cons
no work life balance, poor management
fast paced environment
Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAFebruary 23, 2016
fast paced environment, high expectations, not enough work life balance, no WFH policy, different rules for different folks, not enough focus on employee development from managers due to pace of organization (managers themselves are swamped, and don't always know or have patience to understand employee's needs), not always objective, emphasis how one's image is portrayed to the team rather than collaborative approach of working together towards common goal, significant turn-over within organization
Cons
work life balance
The Worst Company You Can Imagine
Senior Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 10, 2016
The most discouraging place I ever worked, A company chock full of individuals that are not collaborating, and encourage a trickle down system of information.
A telephone game of long hours, on call, and pour treatment.
My supervisor once told me that a coworker could not be sleeping on the job, he was " A good Christian Brother" and this was just another day on the job!
This place is terrible.
Pros
Cons
Alot
Absolutely amazing place to work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  UxbridgeMay 4, 2016
Working Working in a team within a team of 6, providing implementation, development, guidance and support services to UK and EMEA-based business users, Global IS teams, Global Service Desk, and 3rd party support providers.

• Supervising all IT functions relative to 400 VIPs, Directors, Scientists and Sales Reps.
• Active Directory administration, VMware (VMSphere) administration , Horizon Client and VDI administration.
• Escalation point for other IT members reporting to directly to Gilead Management HQ in Paris.
• Worked closely with External Vendors with Major audits and compliance regulations.
• Working involvement of Microsoft Exchange Administrator, Active directory management and Mobile Iron device management, with heavy exposure to CISCO IP Telephony including administration of Cisco call manager Version 9.
• Vodafone site administrator, functions relating to Asset Management of all Mobile devices, associated billing accounts and identification codes for all devices.
• Procurement troubleshooting, administration and deployment of all Microsoft, iOS and Android devices.
Very friendly working experiecnce
Scheduling Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 12, 2016
Working at Gilead is an great experience getting to know people through different departments. Sometimes a day can be very busy to a calm day like on a Friday. Lastly enjoying the happy hour on Friday and just catch up with your friends at work. It something good to feel about coming to work everyday.
Pros
Happy hour
benefits
Outstanding Company - Difficult to Work for
Therapeutic Specialty Representative (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CaJuly 10, 2015
Depending on the division your in makes a difference in the job culture you are subjected to. IHD is the red headed step child of the organization and is treated poorly. Minimal support for Managed Care Contracting.
Pros
Great Pipeline, Stock Plan, Good Salary
Cons
Intense Culture, Long Hours, High Sales Goals that are challenging to say the least
I would strongly advise you NOT to work here!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJune 17, 2015
There is essentially no work-life balance and they can care less about your well being and your family. All they care about is making money. "For the love of money is the root of all evil!" Gilead demands you to work untill they tell you to go home. I'm not joking here, I slept in my car after working back to back 15-20 hour shifts. I have the many time card printouts to prove it! Gilead clams this is the best package you can find. Well these people haven't worked anywhere else in alot of years, they are inexperienced in what is offered out there now a days. What good is having benefits when you cant even take time off to go to the dentist or doctors because if your not at work your missing deadlines which hold up production which equals loss of money. This place is cancerous and I was out of there before that cancer killed my relationship with my family. You can make money anywhere, this place is not the only place in the world to make a great living in. If you care about your family and your well being look for employment elsewhere. If you just care about making money this is a place for you. But let me tell you all the money in the world cant buy happiness.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Anything you can think of
Oracle EBS Consultant
Oracle Apps SCM/OPM System Analyst (Current Employee) –  CAApril 18, 2016
Oracle EBS Functional and Technical.Good Job Culture.Participated in all Design phases of this project.
Learned more anout OPM and had adapted to different project reuirements,
We have a team size of 5 with developers and Functional consultants.
The harderst part of the job is to meet the complex req's which are solely in OPM .
The most enjoyable part of the job is despite stringent deadline we could meet all the req's and development with minor issues during Golive.
Great company culture with large are for growth
Associate Manager (Contract), HIV Medical Affairs (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAMay 19, 2015
Gilead was a great work experience for me, especially as my first major company. Management not only managed, but also did a good portion of the work which made myself and fellow employees feel as though it was a team effort. There were definitely opportunities for advancement and the compensation was good.
Pros
Great company culture, management and compensation
Cons
Contract employee
No career mobility
Biology, Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 24, 2016
Gilead Sciences does not encourage career mobility, if you stay in one division, you have little chance to move to other division, no matter you are good or not, no matter your skills fit in other division or not.
loved working over there
Service-Now Developer (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJune 9, 2016
Best place to work i loved working over there all employeeres are friendly. management was excellent. The best part of my job is My team. I am so fortunate to be part of a team that, despite everyone’s differences and eccentricities, manages to make every day at work seem like an episode of tosh.0.
Great company
Oncology Therapeutic Specialist (Current Employee) –  DCAugust 8, 2015
Great Company to work for, excellent pay, benefits, work life balance, management, small territory, company car, coworkers, travel, products are superior, etc.
Lean Company
Manager, IT (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 20, 2016
Company runs very lean and IT management is not mature to operate under lean workload. No employee reward, management is disconnected with individual contributors.
Pros
Stable Company
Cons
scale of 1 - 10 for lean, Gilead is 10+ lean
Great company to work at with exceptional benefits and growth potential.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Gilead is a really good company with a great pipeline compared to other pharma companies out there. They have good benefits and the cafeteria is really good. Management always supported new ideas and encouraged thinking outside of the box. My co-workers at Gilead were very supportive and experts in their fields. The hardest part of my job was establishing a consistent work life balance. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing my contributions impacted patients lives world wide.
Promotes strong support of company's mission and vision
Regulatory Affairs (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 1, 2016
A lot of one-on-one opportunities to really talk about your goals, your future, and also the future and state of the company itself.
Pros
Food, Flexible
$1000 per pill?
DIRECTOR, ENTERPRISE CONTENT MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 2, 2016
Nice very expensive cars all across the campus.Really bad culture that claims " it all about the science" when in reality its all about the profit. Need a new CFO ASAP.
Punitive and narrow-minded
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 29, 2016
Not a place to go to develop in a role. You are on your own. There is a very negative company culture that applauds over working until the point of burn out.
Oracle DBA
Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CASeptember 15, 2016
I have a very good experience working here.I have learned a lot form my managers that will be helpful in my future,Working environment is very good here

4.2