Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Its a decent job to hold
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 January 2017
in my opinion the day to day life of a Giant Tiger employee is not the most gracious way to get through life, but at the same time it isn't the worst either. my shifts from week to week stay the same, two split shifts but mostly mornings. as of currently i am the only grocery employee who deals with the sorting of every truck load of groceries brought into the store. i work 6 days a week which i don't mind but somehow i don't have full time hours that's a bit of a downfall. Managers seem to listen to a very select group of employee on the topic of changes to certain ways we can accomplish our goal, also managers seem to try and cut corners instead of fixing the problem properly to try and save a dime.
Pros
store discount is a plus
Cons
knowing that its not being done right but not being heard
A nice place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2017
It was a nice place to work at it was well maintained and also the managers and co-workers were really friendly and also helpful.
nice people to work for
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON25 January 2017
No benefits, not enough hrs, management was good, setting up displays were very time consuming and hard to do at times , no chance for advancement
Pros
prizes given at xmas time
Cons
not enough hrs
Great staff and good location
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK19 January 2017
A typical day for me at this job was either unloading a truck or refilling shelves in the store and helping customers with some of their problems if any ever came up. What i learned at this job was facing procedures and time management. I also learned about how to take temperature readings in the freezers and how to rotate product to ensure that customers got the best.

Management there was ok but at times i felt like i was not being heard enough and that was a bit frustrating. The hardest part of my job was the bending and shifting of my movements because i was dealing with major health issues. The most enjoyable however was dealing with the customers that came in everyday, i really enjoy working with people. I have been told that i have exceptional customer service skills.
Pros
Monthly raises
Cons
Short Shifts
Fun and respectable workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 January 2017
Giant Tiger is a fast paced environment and every day is different so it is difficult to describe a typical day. I am a part-time employee so my schedule changes weekly so every day is not the same. However, I spend most of my time cashing customers through the register. I also work the customer service desk. At the service desk I handle returns and exchanges, as well as operating the lottery machine and tobacco purchases. When there are few customers I stock shelves that are in the cash area, mostly chocolate bars, candy and chips. While on cash we (my fellow cashiers and I) work together to make sure that hangers that come though the cash are being sorted and that we are not running out of shopping bags at each register. When there are no customers I face shelves and clean the cash area. When I work a night shift it is the cashiers job to clean all the cash register areas and restock bags. If there is seemingly nothing for me to do at cash, I speak with the manager on duty to see if there are any jobs I can do for them or if any other departments need assistance with anything.

Working at Giant Tiger has taught me quite a few things. It has taught me patients when handling frustrated customers. I have learned great communication skills while assisting customers with their purchases and questions they may have. I also learned great time management skills to ensure that all tasks I am given are completed by the end of my shift.

The management at Giant Tiger are AMAZING! They are extremely nice and always willing to help you with anything you need and are always eager to
  more... answer and questions you may have, They are considerate of any issues you may have and are so kind when you come to them to ask about anything.

My co-workers are wonderful. I'm sure it is probably unheard of but honestly everyone gets along. I have made some great friends working at Giant Tiger and am so thankful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this team.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave it. I absolutely loved working at Giant Tiger and would recommend it to anyone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the co-workers. They made the job fun. It made the day go by faster. It was something to look forward to going to because you got to spend the day with amazing and funny and all around good people. I cannot think of a day where I went to work and wasn't laughing and having a good time. I will miss them.
Pros
Discounts, Amazing co-workers
Cons
Schedules are given out less than a week in advance
A positive work environment !
Store Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 January 2017
Working as a cashier at our local Giant Tiger has been one of my favourite jobs as it lead to new friends and interacting with a great customer base .
wasnt that great
Cashier promoted to Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON29 December 2016
giant tiger was a boring job with only so much you could do before your looking for something more time consuming to do.......its a hard job to get into the groove because its not steady......its stop and go all day
Pros
had friends there
Cons
not enough hours
Productive & Fun Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 November 2016
Had a great time working at Giant Tiger. the associates were really helpful when you were in need of assistance completing a task.
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON17 November 2016
I loved Giant Tiger. My boss was amazing and my team was great. I was very sad to leave. Amazing hours. Very accommodating. It was like a whole new family when I was there.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Hour long unpaid lunches
A busy day
Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 November 2016
A typical day at Giant Tiger can be very busy. I have learned that great multitasking skills is extremely important to get all the jobs done, have time management skills and be a leader when needed.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Difficult customers
Very nice place to work good experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB6 November 2016
Everyone treats one another as family and they try their best to make sure all their employees are comfortable with the environment they're working in
Close family feeling when working very nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS3 November 2016
Great people to work with, this was my first job back in high school working part time an full time when I could . I work first as a cashier an then trained in every department then after about 6 months on cash I moved to frozen food an dry goods.
advancement
Head Cashier, Mascot, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2016
Giant Tiger is a great place to work. I enjoyed the team building and the Management was fantastic.I learned a lot about handling customers, sales and of course myself. the management was always fair, kind and caring but stern when needed.
Pros
team building
Cons
shift work
Not bad
Fashion associate (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON25 October 2016
A typical work day would be very taxing. I learned how to work a cash register. The management was nice. My coworkers were all petty and self-focused. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top of everything. The most enjoyable part was sometimes I would get super nice customers come through.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours alone
Excellent and diverse work scene.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 October 2016
Everyday started with a tucked in dress shirt, and a to-do list that every worker is given to finish before the end of their shift. Learned how to properly lift heavy objects and how to keep a steady heart rate from excessive work. Management was questionable due to their disability to increase my hours from 15-25 weekly, even after I was told they would give me 30-40 weekly. Ill just add that the staff list was changing on the regular. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing that the manager was happy and muscles were sore due to hard work!
Pros
Felt like something was accomplished after every shift.
Cons
Short breaks and short hours.
Enjoyable work place
Customer Service- Fulltime (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2016
A typical day was serving customers, and helping with their inquires and helping them out to the best of my abilities. My co workers were great and easy to work with. They worked with me and with my schedule knowing I have kids.
Pros
great hours
Cons
You always get one co worker that is jealous of the work you do.
Good Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON13 October 2016
Working at Giant Tiger has really given me all the customer service satisfactions that i need to learn about in the real world. All staff and management are very friendly and helpful if you were stuck or just needed that extra hand. I totally recommend working here.
Terrible work/life balance, worse training
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 September 2016
Expected to work more hours then necessary, multiple occasions where you are working 8-10 days in a row without a day off. The "training" they pride themselves on is laughable.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Too many to list.
friendly work environment
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
Going to work is like spending time with extended family. There's always going to be some speed bumps along the way but we work together as a team to get the job done safely and efficiently.
Pros
Staff appreciation bbq's and pot lucks
Cons
communication issues at times
Great Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON2 September 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have great staff and a great work environment to work in. I have learned a lot from my work experience here. I have gained better communication skills, how to handle products safely, and how to work well under pressure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Tiger. Our community is ready to answer.