Giant Tiger Employee Reviews in Canada

First employment as a student
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Dover, ONMay 3, 2016
Typical workday included:
Maintaining inventory levels
Assisting customers
Working with cash
Ordering inventory when needed
High-school part time employment for nearly 7 years
Great place t work
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
A typical day of work at Giant Tiger was a great place to work. I learned how to do returns, cashier, cashing out people with debit, and credit cards, help customers in the dressing room and help make fashion decisions, and stalk shelves. I really enjoyed working with the management team and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning how to work in a different environment, but I learned how to adapt to the environment pretty quickly. I enjoyed going into work because the management and co-workers made it a enjoyable place to work
Productive and great work place with great co workers and managment
I really enjoyed working for Giant Tiger, it was great team member that made it easier for a work day. I learned how to do returns, guiding customers to changing room and helping them to make decisions. I had learned the codes for the clothing to know what section it went to. The manager made it easy to work there, they are great people. The workers there was also great people to work with, we worked well as team members to get the job done. I can not remember many hard parts of the job, but one of the hard things was when it got busy and to try and cash people out in a timely manner. But I would just have to stop and breath and realise that I can get through it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my manager and co workers. They made it a happy place to work
Fun Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 14, 2016
Giant Tiger was overall a fun place to work at the fellow employees were great to work with, they were very flexible and it was always a joy going into work!
Productive and Friendly Place!
Sales Associate (Grocery, Fashion) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONApril 13, 2016
In a typical day of work, I work with my fellow co-workers to merchandise and stock the store. I also answer questions that customers my have and help them bring their groceries to their cars if they require help. If the store is busy, I open up a cash register and help cash people out. I've learned better communication skills that have helped with my co-workers and with customers. I am also a better team-player and can lead and assist my associates. My leadership skills have also improved. The management is good and listens to you ideas and works with you to make these ideas happen. Most of my co-workers are amazing and I always have a wonderful time working with them. I'm even best friends with a couple outside of work! They make the store a more enjoyable place to work and help with the stress. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is pulling their weight and making sure the customer is satisfied. The most enjoyable part is being able to feel like part of a family.
Pros
Friendly co-workers that are easy to get along with
Cons
Not everyone doing their share of the tasks
Fun Workplace
Fashion Department Associate (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 2, 2016
A lot of the employees I worked with were very kind. I gained people, independence, and organization skill from working here.
productive fast paced workplace at times.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ONMarch 17, 2016
In my opinion a typical work day at my previous job was that it was a good establishment with good hard working people. i learned a lot of things to do with retail and customer service. management was good i believe i could have a little more training at the beginning but i learned quick and had amazing co-workers to help me along. I think the hardest part of my job was organizing and cleaning the sales floor, everything would be in different spots from customers moving it around so you would have to go look around the store and put everything back to where it needed to be, Not hard so much as just frustrating. The most Enjoyable part of my day was assisting the customers, helping them and talking to them made my day better and you get to see a lot of friendly faces .
Pros
i got a lot of hours
Cons
very very busy during christmas
Interesting Company
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 7, 2016
Typical shift - front end cash, restocking shelves
Good management team
Co-workers are friendly
Hardest part of job - standing for long periods
Most enjoyable part of job - customer interaction
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
A fun, team work atmosphere with kind staff and happy customers.
Cash, Customer Service, Stock, Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 4, 2016
My experience at Giant Tiger has helped me improve my customer service skills, greatly. The team work abilities and comunication skills were very helpful in the workplace and i have learned a lot.
Productive job very fun staff and management.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Giant Tiger the work was plentiful and the staff was excellent to work with. I recommend this job to anyone and would definitely return if I was to move back to the city. The management are great people always there to help with problems and assist in work projects.
Pros
Laid back good company good benefits bonuses and hours with excellent breaks in between
Great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 25, 2016
In the brief time I've worked at Giant Tiger I've learned how to broaden my skill sets, step out of my comfort zone, embrace and overcome new challenges on a daily basis. With a friendly and welcoming staff and management team, it's never a dull moment. I'm very privileged to be a Giant Tiger employee :).
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Hours could be longer
Giant Tiger
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I had a great time here working at Giant Tiger . They treated me with respect and taught me all the information i needed to come on board with their team .
Productive work setting
Cashier/Fashion (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBFebruary 17, 2016
Lots of departments to work in which gave me diversity. Co-workers varied from moody to extremely nice although I personally never had an issue with anyone, Management were fair and nice.
Pros
discounts
Cons
lack of hours
good on some level
Head Department of Visual (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 16, 2016
If it was manage by a different owner, the staff would not be senior and that my contract wouldn't of been renewed I would deffinently stay.

The company is a good company to work for.
Great starting job to gain experience.
Cashier/Customer Service, Fashion Retailer (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 2, 2016
At Giant Tiger, it can be a stressful job if you are unaware of the possible altercations that can arise. My coworkers were extremely friendly and hardworking for the most part and we were able to get our tasks done with time to spare. The management team does need some work due to their lack of respect for workers and abundance of sarcasm when confronted with work related issues. For students and part time workers, this job is a great starter and will give much life experience. The most difficult part of the job is learning how to handle the large amount of disrespect received by customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the other employees and being able to befriend them.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I've had jobs in the past that I dreaded getting up to go to but they paid the bills. Giant Tiger is a place I can see myself reapplying at in the future and I would still be there if it weren't for the fact that I was only a seasonal hire. I was happy to get up, even on the coldest mornings to go to work. The staff made me feel welcome and the customers were great.
The only hard thing about any retail job is dealing with difficult customers but the supervisors and managers were fantastic and were always there to lend a hand when it was needed.
Very high pace enviroment, enjoyed the workplace, and the staff
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I enjoyed working in the customer service field. I worked many different positions at Giant Tiger. I was a Head Cashier, worked in the Cash office, updating tills, counting the safe, doing the trades. I also was a merchandiser in three departments. Enjoyed my job, just needed a change of environment, and more in my field.
Pros
Great management and stafff
Cons
Picked up alot of peoples work, and long hours
Fun workplace
Cashier/Retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
It was a enjoyable job, my co-workers were always helpful, i learned a lot in that place as cashier. The hardest part i would say nothing
Love the people I work with
Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 17, 2015
I meet a lot of nice people here, But on the flip side when a customer is having a bad day they always take it on you.
My co workers are awesome. And management is good to the staff.
Discount is definatly a bonus.
Pros
feel appreciated by Manager, and discount
Depends on personality
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 30, 2015
I worked there for 4 years as a cash supervisor and in my opinion its a great job for people just starting out in retail or for students with a busy schedule but its not something I seen my self continuing long term. there were a few problems with employee and attitude but every store has a different owner and operates slightly differently so you cant blame the franchise.
Pros
good discounts, friendly customers.
Cons
certain employees at the location i worked at specifically