Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

i worked here as a coop student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, ON27 June 2016
i would stock the shelves with the products like: produce, dairy, and general needs supplies. sometimes changed prices swept the parking lot
Nice company to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2016
All good things. The management are respectfull. There not afraid to give you a chance to see what you can do. Lots of fun working in receiving area.
Okay workplace, great co-workers, not so great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 June 2016
- Typical Day: Serving customers and stocking shelves
- Learned: Be quick
- Management: Not so good, took a few tries to get specific dates off
- Co-workers: Agreeable, fun to work with
- Hardest Part: Balancing serving customers and keeping cash clean
- Most Enjoyable: Can't think of one, subject to anything
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No water allowed at cash
Generally pleasant and fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deep River, ON22 June 2016
I very much enjoyed working at Giant Tiger. I feel confident in the cashiering skills and basic customer service skills I learned there. Aside from a personality conflict with one particular supervisor, generally my interactions with coworkers were pleasant, and there was always someone to help me out when I was learning the ropes. I enjoyed facing and arranging clothing, as well as the general tidying of the storefront that was part of cashier duty. For someone with organizational OCD, that was very enjoyable. My least favourite part of the job was morning crew; I had trouble being awake and functional at 6 in the morning, and sometimes the job was physically taxing. But generally, I found Giant Tiger to be a great place to work.
Pros
Supportive and kind coworkers
Cons
Crew shift was sometimes difficult physically
Nice place to work, but still too similiar to other retail issues
Set Up (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS20 June 2016
First let me give some info. I was hired for store set up and during the grand opening period. The tasks I did day by day varied including setting up and putting together pins, shelves, etc, up until grand opening, during which I handled cart retrieval and odd jobs. Great co-workers, nice and polite, same for the manager too. However, it, like many other retail chains, falls into the same hiring rut. Rating everyone on and forcing people to get to maintain rather high speeds of work which to a good chunk of people is unnatural and for some unobtainable. Especially when your finished what your assigned to do and there's no clear indication of what your supposed to do next. If you are gonna work here or others such as Walmart, Superstore, Sobey's, make sure you can reach and maintain that speed and maintain the quality of service. If not, I would advise you to look elsewhere.
Pros
Great higher ups, friendly, very accomaditing of needs
Cons
High required speed of service, required to do work even when there is literally none
Fun Workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Caglary15 June 2016
Giant tiger is a fun place to work, there is a steady flow of customers which allows for rest and relaxation. The employees are fun and caring individuals who all aspire to make you feel welcome at home. Giant tiger is a great place to work.
amazing work place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 June 2016
I worked at Giant Tiger during the summer (2014) and it was the best place I ever worked, everyone was so nice and friendly and I had no problems at all.
working style
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MB4 June 2016
I learned about accounting, Invoices, Vendors, Making payments, working style in stores. Totally a learning experince.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
They had special season when they visit their home country
Fun place to work
Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2016
I enjoyed working at this store.My co-workers were all very supportive. The pay was not great cause it's retail and retail does not pay very good wages.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Pay was no good
good workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB31 May 2016
nice to a job with giant tiger
learn so many new things which are good for success
good management
good co workers
enjoy a day when work with my duty
A great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2016
A typical day at work for myself would just be bagging groceries for customers, giving quality customer service, cleaning my till, sometimes organizing products and clothing hangers, and dealing with money. The most important thing I learned was how to deal with other people (customers) and how to talk to people. I used to be shy and from this job I became outgoing and I had the chance to talk to people and listen to customers stories on daily basis. My co-workers were wonderful, like a big family which I loved. Management could be intimidating but were always respectable. The hardest part of my job was the scheduling and the most enjoyable was being with my customers as I made good friends and they made my day better.
Pros
Great staff, store, and location
Cons
Bad Scheduling
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
Very nice working at Giant Tiger the typical work everyday is doing all the stocks and putting all the clothes that on the rack on the floor, helping customers what they are looking and treat them like your neighbor.- what I learned is to do my job well and being so nice to all the people. and multi tasking. I am great learner and a team player.-about Management I am constantly keeping tab of assign work with my subordinates and seniors, finishing the assigned job before deadlines. -about co-workers I believed in team work. Even if I find anything irritating, I try to avoid it unless it personally affects me. I gain a lots of friends at work. There is no hard job if u are willing to work and you love what u are doing.- The most enjoyable part of job is to see your customer happy and you meet the expectations.
very fast
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 May 2016
i was only here temporarily but i had lauds of fun working here it was very great on teaching lessons and it was for a co op program when i was in high school
Pros
good company
Cons
to dark in the warehouse
First job
FASHION FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 May 2016
With Giant tiger being my first job I was nervous when I first started. The Mangers were very patient with me while I was still learning how the company worked. I really enjoyed working with the different customers and helping them find something they would love to wear.
I got to learn alot of new things well working for Giant Tiger
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 May 2016
A typical day at work was a learning experience and challenging. I learned how to stalk the shelves, work in the clothing area and dressing room, I also learned how to work the cash using cash, debit, credit cards and do returns. I also learned how to work as a group member to satisfy the customers needs and wants. Working with the management and co-workers made my day all that much easier. The hardest part of the job was working under pressure, but I learned to just take a deep breath and do the best that I can. I really enjoyed working at Giant Tiger because I was able to learn new things on a regular basis.
Pros
The pros was the management and co-workers
Cons
I honestly can not thik of any cons working at Giant Tiger I really enjoyed working there
First employment as a student
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Dover, ON3 May 2016
Typical workday included:
Maintaining inventory levels
Assisting customers
Working with cash
Ordering inventory when needed
High-school part time employment for nearly 7 years
Great place t work
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 April 2016
A typical day of work at Giant Tiger was a great place to work. I learned how to do returns, cashier, cashing out people with debit, and credit cards, help customers in the dressing room and help make fashion decisions, and stalk shelves. I really enjoyed working with the management team and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning how to work in a different environment, but I learned how to adapt to the environment pretty quickly. I enjoyed going into work because the management and co-workers made it a enjoyable place to work
Productive and great work place with great co workers and managment
I really enjoyed working for Giant Tiger, it was great team member that made it easier for a work day. I learned how to do returns, guiding customers to changing room and helping them to make decisions. I had learned the codes for the clothing to know what section it went to. The manager made it easy to work there, they are great people. The workers there was also great people to work with, we worked well as team members to get the job done. I can not remember many hard parts of the job, but one of the hard things was when it got busy and to try and cash people out in a timely manner. But I would just have to stop and breath and realise that I can get through it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my manager and co workers. They made it a happy place to work
Fun Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 April 2016
Giant Tiger was overall a fun place to work at the fellow employees were great to work with, they were very flexible and it was always a joy going into work!
Productive and Friendly Place!
Sales Associate (Grocery, Fashion) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON13 April 2016
In a typical day of work, I work with my fellow co-workers to merchandise and stock the store. I also answer questions that customers my have and help them bring their groceries to their cars if they require help. If the store is busy, I open up a cash register and help cash people out. I've learned better communication skills that have helped with my co-workers and with customers. I am also a better team-player and can lead and assist my associates. My leadership skills have also improved. The management is good and listens to you ideas and works with you to make these ideas happen. Most of my co-workers are amazing and I always have a wonderful time working with them. I'm even best friends with a couple outside of work! They make the store a more enjoyable place to work and help with the stress. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is pulling their weight and making sure the customer is satisfied. The most enjoyable part is being able to feel like part of a family.
Pros
Friendly co-workers that are easy to get along with
Cons
Not everyone doing their share of the tasks