Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Workplace
Cashier/ Fashion (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Wonderful work place, with great employee's. Training staff could be improved and given employers more time to absorb store information in order to work their best.
customer service represtative
CASHIER (Former Employee), Thompson, MBJanuary 22, 2015
Tuesdays is typical day at work , as it had many paper work.
learned out sourcing strategies and understanding clients needs.
management was best.
managed front end sales and cashiers along with opening and closing duties of the store
Supervisor/cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: discount on goods
Cons: was always evening shifts ....
my duties were in charge of the cashiers and there transactions as well as any pick ups ...other duties were customer service such as customer inquiries ...refunds ....answering phones ....lottery ....balancing the safe and any other technical difficulties that could arise ...Most of the time was in-charge of closing out the store and all cashiers .The part i enjoyed most of the job was overcoming any hard situations made the day more rewarding ....the part i least enjoyed was when there were situations as 3 girls didnt show up for there shift with out any notice and then having a busy night with only tow cashes available and then having yo jump on cash yourself for 85% of your shift your work as a supervisor cant get competed ... with saying this still was able to function and still compete all duties at some point in the evening with very little errors
Fun and friendly work environment
Fashion/Cashier (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
I worked as a fashion employee and worked through Christmas so my day was typically busy and very rushed. The co-workers were very understanding and nice. I learned to work at a fast pace, under pressure, gained confidence and improved my social skills The most enjoyable part of my job was having the opportunity to work with such great people and to have gained work experience.
It was good
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), jeffersonJanuary 14, 2015
I was going to this job site for school. I was in a program for work exsperince. I like the job, I had to organized clothes and stock work. I thought this job was enjoyble. The thought this job was easy. I was only working there for a couple of weeks. I didn't get paid it was for marks for class.
very fast and hard on the back and feet
fashion retail (Former Employee), Truro, NSJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: very long hours
the job is fast the co-workers arn't all the social , its hard on the back and feet from walking around all day and standing and can only sit for an hour on lunch and for 10 mins on a break , lots of clothes to be sized hung and unpacked and marked , had to do a walka round to make sure everything everything was put in the right spot against the same colour , and make sure no one was stealing , I wouldn't do this job again cause I didn't enjoy that enviroment
good job
BRANCH SCHEDULER / ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee), winnipeg mbDecember 6, 2014
Pros: good job
Cons: wouldnt let me claim wcb
stocked shelfs dept head loved it left no wcb wouldnt let me claim wcb for knee injury
fun working with fashion
Fashion Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: many breaks, friendly environment
I loved to work in fashion, helping others out with advice about clothing was amazing. Overall I loved being helpful. Everyone there was nice and welcome me in with open arms, helped me find my way, showed me what to do and where everything was. It was the first time in a long time I didn't complain about going to work everyday.
Good place to work, freindly staff
General Labourer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONNovember 10, 2014
Pros: flexible part-time scheduling
Cons: short hours, no benefits
I worked there just over a year and never had a problem with any of my co-workers or superiors. Booking time off for dental or medical appointments was never a problem and as easy as filling out one piece of paper. Being a retail establishment, the scheduling was very flexible, but part time staff typically were scheduled less than 16 hours per week, and only employees averaging more than 25 hours per week were eligible for benefits.

Mostly my job centred around stocking the shelves, doing cash, ensuring grocery stock was properly rotated both on the sales floor and in the back storage areas, and to verify deliveries, making sure to note deviations from the order (shortages or overages).
Great Company To Work For During Continuing Education
Customer Service (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 5, 2014
Cashier. Worked customer service, which dealt with returns/lottery/ and tobacco. Amazing co-workers and managment. Great company to grown with and be part of a team.
helping the customer with wjat they need
Team Member (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 20, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: 5h
organized cloth and putting things away help customer and clean the fitting room
lots of good people
Assist customers (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2014
get at work at 1till 3 learned to memories where everything is my co-workers were friendly no hard part of the job helping out the store to get experience for a job later on
it was a good place to work because of the customers,
Full time cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 16, 2014
it was a good place to work,
co -workers were ok best thing about working there was the customers.
Fantastic Job!
Cashier (Former Employee), New Glasgow, NSOctober 14, 2014
Pros: breaks, free lunches closed at 9:00pm mon-sat
Cons: -
Really enjoyed my job. Staff was easy to get along with, atmosphere was always positive, and hours and shifts were reasonable because management was willing to work with me to find a reasonable niche that worked for everyone.
Learning opportunity
Fashion Associate (Former Employee), st.catharines ontarioOctober 1, 2014
Pros: i got to make decisions for myself
Cons: no enough hours
My day consisted of customer service above all else. I merchandised Mens wear ,pulling clothing racks to sales floor, filling planograms . help with fitting rooms and recovery and help on cash when all available was called or if my hour to do back up cash. Did no movement reports, sku maintenance, negative reports. work with RF guns to maintain Planograms and sku items. kept a log for hot spots and set up ads weekly
Giant Tiger is a fun place to work!
Grocery Associate/Part time (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: helpful retail experience & flexable hours.
Cons: starting at minimum wage.
A typical day for me at Giant Tiger is organizing the cooler, stocking shelves with produce, fresh meats, frozen products and dry grocery. I also reduce prices on close dated food and set up displays.

I am learning how a retail store operates on a day to day basis.

Management at this location are friendly, as long as you are performing your duties to their expectations and assisting the customers, they make you feel valuable.

My co-workers are very friendly and I can count on them for assistance any time.

The hardest part of the job is lifting heavier items such as milk crates and canned goods.

The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting and communicating with the customers. It feels good to help them with their needs and at the same time, having meaningful conversations with customers, especially the regulars.
Part time student job
Key holder, Cash Management, Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary ABAugust 28, 2014
Pros: long lunch
Cons: poor training
This location is now shut down
Poor management
Flexible hours
Great enviroment
As employees, we worked together as a team, with great management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Kemptville and Manotick locationAugust 28, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Giant Tiger. My hours were spent either on cash, or on the floor helping customers, which I enjoyed, and the annual store inventory, which wasn't all that exciting, but working as a team made it somewhat fun.
It is NOT what I expected for a "Proud Canadian Company"
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: employee discounts on virtually everything
Cons: bare minimal breaks and lunches
A typical day at work consisted mainly of avoiding a problematic employee from day one. They would NOT fire theperson no matter WHAT they pulled. The owners' wife also works at the store and has an incredible problem with communication skills appropriate and inappropriate towards anyone she has deemed to be dislikeable. She talks to employees as though the employee owed them their life and that they should be grateful to even breath the same air as her. Fortunately for me, she worked in another department and I didn't have to deal with her ignorance like most everyone else did who worked under her. After 4 months of employment, I obtained another job at a factory, and a month after that, they called me up to the office and forced me to quit. They stated that if I refuse to quit, they would fire me due to conflict of scheduling. By agreeing to quit, they would allow me to finish up my work week which allowed me to collect on Statutory pay (which was for Thanksgiving at that time). Here is the best part of it all:

Owner: "If you ever need your job back, come see us. That won't be a problem."

Two weeks after 'quitting' Giant Tiger, I was let go under probation at the factory job. I went back to GIant Tiger to hold the owner on his word, and he told me "No." He pushed me off with answers of "Not right at this moment, but when a position opens up again, I'll let you know."

I pursued him for a year; the answer: "No."

I don't have anything to share as to what I gained from being employed by this owner, except that it has put an extremely foul taste in my mouth in regards to the – more... name "Giant Tiger".

I had an excellent Supervisor... he quit to work at CAMI Automotive... smart man. Although he was younger than me, I had no issues whatsoever taking orders and direction from him. He's a bright young man with smarts and success ahead of him.

The hardest part of the job was, again, dealing with a fellow ignorant employee, or should I say Manager. Like I said though, I didn't work under her... thank god.

The most enjoyable part of the job was always when the difficult employee that should've been dismissed wasn't there, as well as the Manager with an ego issue also not being there; work went smoothly and uninterrupted.

I have worked at many places in my life with many faces, and i can tell you this:

THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO WORK! – less
Softgoods Supervisor
Softgoods Supervisor (Former Employee), Laurier, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: fast paced, customer service, friendly co-workers
Cons: salary
With each day came new ways to try and improve the impact my department made on the customers. Featuring high profit items. Relocating for better visibility. Marking down items and products that generate no profit. I learned how to actively ensure all customers get the attention required to fulfill their shopping experience. I worked hand and hand with the management in ensuring all staff respected all the codes and methods of retail and customer service. My co-workers and I all worked great as a team or individual. I personally trained several to ensure the companies needs were always met. The hardest part of the job was never being able to stop in the middle or new processes or displays. I was totally dedicated and gave more then my 100% at all time. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly meeting new people and seeing them always leave happy and satisfied.

Giant Tiger Photos