Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work place
Customer Service- Fulltime (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2016
A typical day was serving customers, and helping with their inquires and helping them out to the best of my abilities. My co workers were great and easy to work with. They worked with me and with my schedule knowing I have kids.
Pros
great hours
Cons
You always get one co worker that is jealous of the work you do.
busy
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON9 February 2017
my supervisor was great the people were great to work with. the hours were good and it was well organized. I like workin customer service jobs they are a fun place to work .
Pros
great hours
Cons
pay
Generally pleasant and fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deep River, ON22 June 2016
I very much enjoyed working at Giant Tiger. I feel confident in the cashiering skills and basic customer service skills I learned there. Aside from a personality conflict with one particular supervisor, generally my interactions with coworkers were pleasant, and there was always someone to help me out when I was learning the ropes. I enjoyed facing and arranging clothing, as well as the general tidying of the storefront that was part of cashier duty. For someone with organizational OCD, that was very enjoyable. My least favourite part of the job was morning crew; I had trouble being awake and functional at 6 in the morning, and sometimes the job was physically taxing. But generally, I found Giant Tiger to be a great place to work.
Pros
Supportive and kind coworkers
Cons
Crew shift was sometimes difficult physically
A positive work environment !
Store Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 January 2017
Working as a cashier at our local Giant Tiger has been one of my favourite jobs as it lead to new friends and interacting with a great customer base .
A nice place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2017
It was a nice place to work at it was well maintained and also the managers and co-workers were really friendly and also helpful.
Very nice place to work good experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB6 November 2016
Everyone treats one another as family and they try their best to make sure all their employees are comfortable with the environment they're working in
Productive & Fun Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 November 2016
Had a great time working at Giant Tiger. the associates were really helpful when you were in need of assistance completing a task.
Nice place to work, but still too similiar to other retail issues
Set Up (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS20 June 2016
First let me give some info. I was hired for store set up and during the grand opening period. The tasks I did day by day varied including setting up and putting together pins, shelves, etc, up until grand opening, during which I handled cart retrieval and odd jobs. Great co-workers, nice and polite, same for the manager too. However, it, like many other retail chains, falls into the same hiring rut. Rating everyone on and forcing people to get to maintain rather high speeds of work which to a good chunk of people is unnatural and for some unobtainable. Especially when your finished what your assigned to do and there's no clear indication of what your supposed to do next. If you are gonna work here or others such as Walmart, Superstore, Sobey's, make sure you can reach and maintain that speed and maintain the quality of service. If not, I would advise you to look elsewhere.
Pros
Great higher ups, friendly, very accomaditing of needs
Cons
High required speed of service, required to do work even when there is literally none
Great place t work
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 April 2016
A typical day of work at Giant Tiger was a great place to work. I learned how to do returns, cashier, cashing out people with debit, and credit cards, help customers in the dressing room and help make fashion decisions, and stalk shelves. I really enjoyed working with the management team and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning how to work in a different environment, but I learned how to adapt to the environment pretty quickly. I enjoyed going into work because the management and co-workers made it a enjoyable place to work
friendly work environment
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
Going to work is like spending time with extended family. There's always going to be some speed bumps along the way but we work together as a team to get the job done safely and efficiently.
Pros
Staff appreciation bbq's and pot lucks
Cons
communication issues at times
Okay workplace, great co-workers, not so great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 June 2016
- Typical Day: Serving customers and stocking shelves
- Learned: Be quick
- Management: Not so good, took a few tries to get specific dates off
- Co-workers: Agreeable, fun to work with
- Hardest Part: Balancing serving customers and keeping cash clean
- Most Enjoyable: Can't think of one, subject to anything
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No water allowed at cash
Terrible work/life balance, worse training
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 September 2016
Expected to work more hours then necessary, multiple occasions where you are working 8-10 days in a row without a day off. The "training" they pride themselves on is laughable.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Too many to list.
Softgoods Supervisor
Softgoods Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laurier, ON26 August 2014
With each day came new ways to try and improve the impact my department made on the customers. Featuring high profit items. Relocating for better visibility. Marking down items and products that generate no profit. I learned how to actively ensure all customers get the attention required to fulfill their shopping experience. I worked hand and hand with the management in ensuring all staff respected all the codes and methods of retail and customer service. My co-workers and I all worked great as a team or individual. I personally trained several to ensure the companies needs were always met. The hardest part of the job was never being able to stop in the middle or new processes or displays. I was totally dedicated and gave more then my 100% at all time. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly meeting new people and seeing them always leave happy and satisfied.
Pros
fast paced, customer service, friendly co-workers
Cons
salary
Great Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON2 September 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have great staff and a great work environment to work in. I have learned a lot from my work experience here. I have gained better communication skills, how to handle products safely, and how to work well under pressure.
Fun and respectable workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 January 2017
Giant Tiger is a fast paced environment and every day is different so it is difficult to describe a typical day. I am a part-time employee so my schedule changes weekly so every day is not the same. However, I spend most of my time cashing customers through the register. I also work the customer service desk. At the service desk I handle returns and exchanges, as well as operating the lottery machine and tobacco purchases. When there are few customers I stock shelves that are in the cash area, mostly chocolate bars, candy and chips. While on cash we (my fellow cashiers and I) work together to make sure that hangers that come though the cash are being sorted and that we are not running out of shopping bags at each register. When there are no customers I face shelves and clean the cash area. When I work a night shift it is the cashiers job to clean all the cash register areas and restock bags. If there is seemingly nothing for me to do at cash, I speak with the manager on duty to see if there are any jobs I can do for them or if any other departments need assistance with anything.

Working at Giant Tiger has taught me quite a few things. It has taught me patients when handling frustrated customers. I have learned great communication skills while assisting customers with their purchases and questions they may have. I also learned great time management skills to ensure that all tasks I am given are completed by the end of my shift.

The management at Giant Tiger are AMAZING! They are extremely nice and always willing to help you with anything you need and are always eager to
  more... answer and questions you may have, They are considerate of any issues you may have and are so kind when you come to them to ask about anything.

My co-workers are wonderful. I'm sure it is probably unheard of but honestly everyone gets along. I have made some great friends working at Giant Tiger and am so thankful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this team.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave it. I absolutely loved working at Giant Tiger and would recommend it to anyone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the co-workers. They made the job fun. It made the day go by faster. It was something to look forward to going to because you got to spend the day with amazing and funny and all around good people. I cannot think of a day where I went to work and wasn't laughing and having a good time. I will miss them.
Pros
Discounts, Amazing co-workers
Cons
Schedules are given out less than a week in advance
productive fast paced workplace at times.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON17 March 2016
In my opinion a typical work day at my previous job was that it was a good establishment with good hard working people. i learned a lot of things to do with retail and customer service. management was good i believe i could have a little more training at the beginning but i learned quick and had amazing co-workers to help me along. I think the hardest part of my job was organizing and cleaning the sales floor, everything would be in different spots from customers moving it around so you would have to go look around the store and put everything back to where it needed to be, Not hard so much as just frustrating. The most Enjoyable part of my day was assisting the customers, helping them and talking to them made my day better and you get to see a lot of friendly faces .
Pros
i got a lot of hours
Cons
very very busy during christmas
fun work environment
Head Cashier, November (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON19 August 2016
i enjoyed my time working for Giant tiger
some of my responsiblitlies were:
Processed all methods of payment: debit, credit and cash
Oversee all store-closing activities
Accurately record customer service transactions in electronic cash registers
Oversee shift-end float balance
Productive and great work place with great co workers and managment
I really enjoyed working for Giant Tiger, it was great team member that made it easier for a work day. I learned how to do returns, guiding customers to changing room and helping them to make decisions. I had learned the codes for the clothing to know what section it went to. The manager made it easy to work there, they are great people. The workers there was also great people to work with, we worked well as team members to get the job done. I can not remember many hard parts of the job, but one of the hard things was when it got busy and to try and cash people out in a timely manner. But I would just have to stop and breath and realise that I can get through it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my manager and co workers. They made it a happy place to work
high expectation and low pay
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Head Office23 July 2014
working at head office in a demanding understaffed atmosphere, the slack was expected to be picked up by the already existing staff.
not all management, but the management I worked under were very insecure and would often take this out on staff.
coaching did not exist
coworkers were decent but every man for themselves attitude
hardest part of the job: feeling like you did a good job
most enjoyable part of the job: going home
company itself has good benefits and a solid community attitude.
too bad it was not something that all departments believe in.
Pros
free lunches and family days/tournaments
Cons
Everything else
Good place to work, freindly staff
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 November 2014
I worked there just over a year and never had a problem with any of my co-workers or superiors. Booking time off for dental or medical appointments was never a problem and as easy as filling out one piece of paper. Being a retail establishment, the scheduling was very flexible, but part time staff typically were scheduled less than 16 hours per week, and only employees averaging more than 25 hours per week were eligible for benefits.

Mostly my job centred around stocking the shelves, doing cash, ensuring grocery stock was properly rotated both on the sales floor and in the back storage areas, and to verify deliveries, making sure to note deviations from the order (shortages or overages).
Pros
Flexible part-time scheduling
Cons
Short hours, no benefits