Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good prices and good products overall great people to work with
Fashion Department (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2012
Pros: great work life balance, for most part great team to work with.
Cons: low salary, advancement opportunity slow moving, if at all available
Giant Tiger has great systems to work with. I truly enjoy the my work day and the flexibility it allows to be creative. The freedom to try new different things is great. The training and availability of information is abundant and easily accessible. I think the product selection is great and the customers agree it is one of the top retailers in selection and prices.
A typical day consists of opening the store with positive energy and directing staff in their daily tasks. Looking at what needs to be improved each day and congratulating and welcoming staff on ideas shared. Looking at what worked well and giving credit where it is due to those team players who show passion for what they do. Results shown are then shared with "What a good job looks like'.
Showing staff by leading with example to exceed customer expectations. To deliver the promise to give the customer the best shopping experience from the moment they enter the store, until they leave it. Getting to know the faces is the best part of each day. Seeing repeat visits a few times each week gives me a great feeling that we are succeeding in small ways everyday.
For the most part the co-workers are good there is always room for improvement in productivity. If we find a few more key talents, and negative energy from a few team members was to exit it would be in the best interest for the store. Not saying they don't do anything for the store, but if we had more positive energy it would be better for the stores work environment and productive flow.
Management sometimes can be better in communication but it is a work in progress, – more... The manager is very good at sharing operations end, and running operations with a very keen eye on what needs to be improved.They run the store with a strong standard level to ensure the customers are coming into a well kept store.Sharing other aspects can be frustrating like what is happening with staff and how to handle certain situations that need to be addressed is not a strong point.Even though it is the worst part of any Managers job to reprimand certain behaviors that are unacceptable it is part of the job what needs to be done.
A company puts certain policies and procedures in place to have structure and proper order for all staff to follow that is not negotiable. That way everyone is treated fairly and rules are followed. It makes it easier to run a positive productive work environment for all team members and there is no factors of favoritism and everyone gets the same answer from each member of management so limitations and order is in place.
The hardest part of the job is the workload and figuring out how to share it so each team member is working to their full potential and staying busy and working with the mindset that they are going to improve things daily for the better of the store. Finding those key team players is difficult not everyone comes to work in today's society to give their 100% while at work and it can be exhausting to babysit them.
For the most part Giant Tiger is the best job I have worked at. Other retailers could take a few lessons from how we operate it is a pleasure to come to work and the systems are fun and easy to operate to get the job done successfully. We learn something new everyday and in the Retail industry it is all about change. If you can't adapt to change and trying new things constantly your in the wrong industry.
A huge pat on the back to all those at Giant Tiger who make it worthwhile to work here everyday. I hope to grow and Advance with this company until I am ready to retire. I want to try different positions and if the opportunity presents itself I will give every job opportunity my best. – less
It is NOT what I expected for a "Proud Canadian Company"
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: employee discounts on virtually everything
Cons: bare minimal breaks and lunches
A typical day at work consisted mainly of avoiding a problematic employee from day one. They would NOT fire theperson no matter WHAT they pulled. The owners' wife also works at the store and has an incredible problem with communication skills appropriate and inappropriate towards anyone she has deemed to be dislikeable. She talks to employees as though the employee owed them their life and that they should be grateful to even breath the same air as her. Fortunately for me, she worked in another department and I didn't have to deal with her ignorance like most everyone else did who worked under her. After 4 months of employment, I obtained another job at a factory, and a month after that, they called me up to the office and forced me to quit. They stated that if I refuse to quit, they would fire me due to conflict of scheduling. By agreeing to quit, they would allow me to finish up my work week which allowed me to collect on Statutory pay (which was for Thanksgiving at that time). Here is the best part of it all:

Owner: "If you ever need your job back, come see us. That won't be a problem."

Two weeks after 'quitting' Giant Tiger, I was let go under probation at the factory job. I went back to GIant Tiger to hold the owner on his word, and he told me "No." He pushed me off with answers of "Not right at this moment, but when a position opens up again, I'll let you know."

I pursued him for a year; the answer: "No."

I don't have anything to share as to what I gained from being employed by this owner, except that it has put an extremely foul taste in my mouth in regards to the – more... name "Giant Tiger".

I had an excellent Supervisor... he quit to work at CAMI Automotive... smart man. Although he was younger than me, I had no issues whatsoever taking orders and direction from him. He's a bright young man with smarts and success ahead of him.

The hardest part of the job was, again, dealing with a fellow ignorant employee, or should I say Manager. Like I said though, I didn't work under her... thank god.

The most enjoyable part of the job was always when the difficult employee that should've been dismissed wasn't there, as well as the Manager with an ego issue also not being there; work went smoothly and uninterrupted.

I have worked at many places in my life with many faces, and i can tell you this:

THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO WORK! – less
Great people, bad customers
o Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: free pizza day on child tax! big screen tv break room
Cons: bad area.
Giant Tiger is an amazing place to work in, the management is very fun and outgoing and I really feel as if I fit in. Everyone is always so happy and nice.

However, the job still has its downfalls. The hardest part of the job would be the customers. Working in such a rough neighborhood calls for vicious people, drunk people, drugged people, people just looking for fights, etc. If I could I would work there for years, I would.

Being as I am looking forward to opening my own business in the next 7 years, I am trying to learn as much about operating a franchise as I possibly can before that time comes. Giant Tiger has helped me progress in this for sure, as any job has. My most enjoyable part of the job would be the fast-paced environment. I try not to complain about this too much because a fast-paced environment on top of the amazing people I work with makes easy money.

I would never chose to find another job, however, I have found a daycare for my child and it's too far and sadly I only work part-time.
Productive workplace, friendly and very fun.
Cashier and Customer Service Desk Associate (Current Employee), Sydney, Nova ScotiaApril 19, 2015
Pros: Discounts on products, friendly staff
Cons: Inconsistent hours
Working at Giant Tiger any day is a fun, fast-paced and full experience. There's never a lack of activity and there's always a customer happy to see a smiling face.

I was given many chances to learn and perform the duties from the other departments, and I was trained almost immediately for customer service. Having this training made any day a full one with lots to do.

Management are friendly and very outgoing, and the other employees were fantastic to work with. The store has a very good bond between its workers, like family.

The best part of the job is meeting all kinds of nice people each and every day. It's a very rewarding experience to hear how much everyone loves the store.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all of the community and company promotions and making sure I was up to date on everything each day, especially when we had a couple going on at one time.

Overall it was a great experience.
Giant Tiger is a fun place to work!
Grocery Associate/Part time (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: helpful retail experience & flexable hours.
Cons: starting at minimum wage.
A typical day for me at Giant Tiger is organizing the cooler, stocking shelves with produce, fresh meats, frozen products and dry grocery. I also reduce prices on close dated food and set up displays.

I am learning how a retail store operates on a day to day basis.

Management at this location are friendly, as long as you are performing your duties to their expectations and assisting the customers, they make you feel valuable.

My co-workers are very friendly and I can count on them for assistance any time.

The hardest part of the job is lifting heavier items such as milk crates and canned goods.

The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting and communicating with the customers. It feels good to help them with their needs and at the same time, having meaningful conversations with customers, especially the regulars.
Softgoods Supervisor
Softgoods Supervisor (Former Employee), Laurier, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: fast paced, customer service, friendly co-workers
Cons: salary
With each day came new ways to try and improve the impact my department made on the customers. Featuring high profit items. Relocating for better visibility. Marking down items and products that generate no profit. I learned how to actively ensure all customers get the attention required to fulfill their shopping experience. I worked hand and hand with the management in ensuring all staff respected all the codes and methods of retail and customer service. My co-workers and I all worked great as a team or individual. I personally trained several to ensure the companies needs were always met. The hardest part of the job was never being able to stop in the middle or new processes or displays. I was totally dedicated and gave more then my 100% at all time. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly meeting new people and seeing them always leave happy and satisfied.
managed front end sales and cashiers along with opening and closing duties of the store
Supervisor/cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: discount on goods
Cons: was always evening shifts ....
my duties were in charge of the cashiers and there transactions as well as any pick ups ...other duties were customer service such as customer inquiries ...refunds ....answering phones ....lottery ....balancing the safe and any other technical difficulties that could arise ...Most of the time was in-charge of closing out the store and all cashiers .The part i enjoyed most of the job was overcoming any hard situations made the day more rewarding ....the part i least enjoyed was when there were situations as 3 girls didnt show up for there shift with out any notice and then having a busy night with only tow cashes available and then having yo jump on cash yourself for 85% of your shift your work as a supervisor cant get competed ... with saying this still was able to function and still compete all duties at some point in the evening with very little errors
Positive, fun and co operative working Tiger family.
Part- time Cashier and Fashion Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 14, 2014
I have been working with Giant Tiger for over a year now and I can say that no two days have ever been the same. A typical day at work would consist of making sure everything is organized and in its right place; having the chance to interact and get to know our customers to help serve them better; and as well as interacting with the employees to work closely as a team. The one thing I learned from working here is that there is that everyone has their own abilities and learning those abilities makes a better working crew. The management and co workers were people whom I really enjoyed working with. They all provided a a welcoming working environment. The hardest part of the job was having situations where some customers were being very rude and harsh; yet at the same time the most enjoyable part of the job was having the chance to help customers whom were the opposite.
A fun safe atmosphere...
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 10, 2014
Pros: routine
Cons: crowded store
A typical day at work was sweeping the parking lot in the morning, then stocking shelves or compressing cardboard, finally doing carts, or dealing with garbage. I also would listen to customers and give them what they want. For example where is this item located.

I learned that it takes time to complete a task and patience.

Management was very pleasant and compassionate.

My co-workers were friendly and good at giving direction. I like leaders.

The hardest part of the job was when their was an angry customer. I had to be in a calm frame of mind to deal with him or her.

The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a very long and hard task. Like for example I started work there and on the first day I had to stock a shelf of cans, it took 3 hours to do and I was very relieved when it was done.
Enjoyable work environment.
General Associate (Former Employee), Stouffville, ONAugust 5, 2012
Pros: fast paced environment with lots of work to be completed.
Cons: heavy lifting.
A typical day at Giant Tiger would consist of: re-stocking shelves, checking to make sure that all advertised items were available for the customers, maintaining the neatness of the store merchandise, and helping customers at the register as per needed. I learned to problem solve and find alternatives when necessary. I also learned to be patient with fellow employees and explain myself in a clear manor. The management at Giant Tiger were always willing to help and give options for work that needed to be completed. Tasks that needed to be done were always shared between the employees who were always lending a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was completing tasks in a timely manor. The longer I worked there, the faster and more efficient i became. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. There were regular customers who came in everyday, and I developed relationships with them. It was also nice to see new faces everyday and see the variety of people coming in and out.
Comfortable independent that allowed you to learn new things
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee), London, ONApril 10, 2012
Pros: discount on my purchases, great learning envrioment
Cons: standing for long periods of time
A typical day at work could be extremely busy and if it wasn't then you would have the time to do and learn different areas, skills and workings of the store.
I learned a lot when working there from customer service, merchandising, cashiering, opening and closing the store duties etc.
Management was very good where I worked and they treated everyone fairly, we were like a team and we were taught to work together and help each other out. I had great co-workers.
Hardest part of the job was the customer service, dealing with angry and upset people.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the independence I was given and the support, confidence and trust they instilled in me by promoting me to Cashier Supervisor.
Work was not very enjoyable. I tried to enjoy it many times, but failed.
Cashier/Fashion Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABAugust 17, 2014
Pros: hour lunch with 50% discount on clothes and 10% on food.
Cons: staff, and management.
My co-workers were honestly not the best. They were not understanding and very rude. I only got trained in fashion for one week, than they changed my schedule and I began working shifts on my own with hardly any training. When I switched to till they never trained me, only left me to find it out on my own. Over all it was never enjoyable, but I did my best to make the most of it. On a normal day in fashion it was really slow paced and not much happened mostly cleaning and setting up displays. An average day on till was rather busy, but it made time pass faster. A lot faster. I am only hoping that in my new work environment my co-workers will be more likable and understanding, and that I will actually get proper training.
cashier position
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONDecember 17, 2013
Pros: had a discount.
Cons: worked most holidays
A typical day at Giant Tiger was to complete orders, take transactions, make returns and exchanges.
I learned more about retail. I learned planograms, shipping and receving, stocking, inventory and what lost prevention means.
I started at Giant Tiger before it opened. The co workers and I set up the store before the grand opening and I continued to work there for 3 years. All of the co workers got along like family.
The hardest part of the job is when you would see shop lifting happening. We had to follow procedure. If we saw shoplifting we would have to report to management right away and we were not to confront the shoplifter for employee safety.
I enjoyed working this position because there were a lot of regular customers that you got to know during the years I worked there. It was a very friendly atmosphere.
Family Oriented and Friendly co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 5, 2013
A typical day of work for me included a lot of repetitive work and laughs with co-workers. Things that I learned during this position was a lot of cashier experience, which involved the handling of merchandise, dealing with customers, bagging efficiently, how to deliver friendly customer service and how to handle money responsibly. I also did a fair amount of work in pricing, which gave me experience in how to handle clothing, a ticketing gun and organizational skills. I did a small amount of work helping in receiving. This taught me how to count large orders of merchandise and gave me a lot of useful computer skills. My managers at this position are really great. They are fun managers that treat everyone really well and are great people. I love working with them. My co-workers all have awesome personalities and I enjoy working with them. They are all pretty fun and enjoy having my personality around. I would have to say the hardest part of my job is dealing with some really bad customers, and dealing with unreasonable people. The part I enjoy the most about my job is the large family like structure between the co-workers.
Very positive atmosphere, great part time job.
Weekend Manager (Current Employee), Perth, ONMarch 26, 2014
Pros: the staff, customers and the hours of work
Cons: heavy lifting
My typical day at work consists of Unpacking and hanging/ ticketing clothing, doing cashes, and stocking shelves.
I have learned how to close and open the store, do cash balancing, order stock, and work a cash register.
Management at Giant Tiger is excellent. Managers are very well liked and know exactly how to do their jobs. They are very understanding and thoughtful people.
My co- workers are very fun, energetic people who make working at Giant Tiger a very enjoyable place to work. They are very inclusive people and I enjoy all of their company.
The hardest part of the job is simply just lifting the boxes of food, some are very heavy but other then that Giant Tiger was a very easy and enjoyable place to work.
The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to know the staff members and getting to work with people who are considered friends. It wasn't considered work any more, rather a fun place to learn from.
Good place to work.
Grocery Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 17, 2013
Pros: on mid-month they order pizza or chicken or some other free lunch.
Cons: some times there are really stressful days
Giant tiger was a good place to work because of a few different things. First off the store is located in downtown so it is easy to get to via public transport. Secondly if you have never worked at a retail store they will train you. Thirdly the management is OK and not super strict, as well as they won't just yell at you if you make a mistake. Fourthly most of the co-workers are easy to get along with. Lastly it's really enjoyable around the holidays like Halloween and Christmas time. Mainly because they allow you to dress up in a costume during Halloween (as long as the costume won't interfere with your work). For Christmas every year they have a Christmas/Holiday party for everyone.
Good place to work, freindly staff
General Labourer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONNovember 10, 2014
Pros: flexible part-time scheduling
Cons: short hours, no benefits
I worked there just over a year and never had a problem with any of my co-workers or superiors. Booking time off for dental or medical appointments was never a problem and as easy as filling out one piece of paper. Being a retail establishment, the scheduling was very flexible, but part time staff typically were scheduled less than 16 hours per week, and only employees averaging more than 25 hours per week were eligible for benefits.

Mostly my job centred around stocking the shelves, doing cash, ensuring grocery stock was properly rotated both on the sales floor and in the back storage areas, and to verify deliveries, making sure to note deviations from the order (shortages or overages).
A half decent work environment for the most part, Co-workers were fairly respectful & easy going.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 17, 2014
My former job at this company helped me gain some important customer service skills & helped me work better with others. My typical day was fairly busy and usually consisted of stocking shelves, moving product, setting up displays; setting up shelves, front facing products, organizing the stock room, organizing grocery product in the freezer and cooler, assisting customers whenever needed, making sure produce, other foods & dairy weren't expired and keep rotating properly, keeping up with store standards, creating labels and price tags for store products, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with many of my co-workers, of which at the time were very easy going and great to get along with.
Fun workplace but it was strictly a co-op job
Store shelf stocker (Former Employee), Orleans, ONNovember 5, 2013
Giant Tiger was a nice place to be at the hours since it was a co-op placement where only 3 hours a day but it definatly felt nice to go in each day to all the friendly people I met. the co-workers where herlpful to me when I didn't understand what to do, the management did talk to one of the co-workers that was being a bit rude to me at one point and solved that pretty quickly. I'd say the hardest part of that co-op placement for me was trying to keep up at the same speed as the other workers there. The most enjoyable part of it was during lunch breaks we would all sit around the table in the lunch room and make jokes after we talked about the weeks sales.
Would do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.
Coop employee (Former Employee), London, ONJune 1, 2013
Pros: great location, fantastic management.
Cons: was only a summer coop, would have loved to be hired after.
A typical day would be to arrive in the morning, and process clothing (hanging, tagging, sizing), until all of it was done, then I would stock shelves for the rest of the shift. If my shift was a bit later, I would do recovery for the last hour of my shift.

Management was very nice, I definitely feel lucky to have had the opprtunity to work for them.

My co-worker were great, I loved working with any of them.

The hardest part of the job was doing the same repetitive task for a longthy amount of time. It was my first experience having such tasks and found it kind of difficult, however, I have learned to find joys of such work.