Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Great staff and good location
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK19 January 2017
A typical day for me at this job was either unloading a truck or refilling shelves in the store and helping customers with some of their problems if any ever came up. What i learned at this job was facing procedures and time management. I also learned about how to take temperature readings in the freezers and how to rotate product to ensure that customers got the best.

Management there was ok but at times i felt like i was not being heard enough and that was a bit frustrating. The hardest part of my job was the bending and shifting of my movements because i was dealing with major health issues. The most enjoyable however was dealing with the customers that came in everyday, i really enjoy working with people. I have been told that i have exceptional customer service skills.
Pros
Monthly raises
Cons
Short Shifts
management is not very good
Grocery associate- Stocked (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON24 February 2017
while the work itself was fine, management was not. often either having too many people working one day then not enough the next. they also were very short tempered and when workers asked for dates off it would be unusual to get said dates off without hassle. i only worked here for 4 months but saw over 6 people quit and i was constantly training new people shortly after i was trained.since i left i have heard that many of the managers have been fired so hopefully better things can come from giant tiger st thomas.
Pros
lots of shifts
Cons
bad management
nice people to work for
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON25 January 2017
No benefits, not enough hrs, management was good, setting up displays were very time consuming and hard to do at times , no chance for advancement
Pros
prizes given at xmas time
Cons
not enough hrs
Not bad
Fashion associate (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON25 October 2016
A typical work day would be very taxing. I learned how to work a cash register. The management was nice. My coworkers were all petty and self-focused. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top of everything. The most enjoyable part was sometimes I would get super nice customers come through.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours alone
Excellent and diverse work scene.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 October 2016
Everyday started with a tucked in dress shirt, and a to-do list that every worker is given to finish before the end of their shift. Learned how to properly lift heavy objects and how to keep a steady heart rate from excessive work. Management was questionable due to their disability to increase my hours from 15-25 weekly, even after I was told they would give me 30-40 weekly. Ill just add that the staff list was changing on the regular. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing that the manager was happy and muscles were sore due to hard work!
Pros
Felt like something was accomplished after every shift.
Cons
Short breaks and short hours.
Fun, family-like store
Part-time 2 shifts per week (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON13 March 2017
At this job, I learned different human interaction skills, I learned more than just job oriented skills, including self- confidence, independence, and how to work with others. My workplace was a safe, family- friendly facility that helps students like me, receive their first job, which overall helps better their future and give them experience.
Pros
great facility, up to date programs
Cons
Its a decent job to hold
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 January 2017
in my opinion the day to day life of a Giant Tiger employee is not the most gracious way to get through life, but at the same time it isn't the worst either. my shifts from week to week stay the same, two split shifts but mostly mornings. as of currently i am the only grocery employee who deals with the sorting of every truck load of groceries brought into the store. i work 6 days a week which i don't mind but somehow i don't have full time hours that's a bit of a downfall. Managers seem to listen to a very select group of employee on the topic of changes to certain ways we can accomplish our goal, also managers seem to try and cut corners instead of fixing the problem properly to try and save a dime.
Pros
store discount is a plus
Cons
knowing that its not being done right but not being heard
Good Company
PURCHASER/BUYER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2017
Good work placement and an enjoyable job. Good bonuses and learned lots. Management worked with me. I learned lots about different departments in the retail store. Hardest part of the job was having numerous deliveries and being short staffed.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Lot of young staff phoning in
Fun place to work, employees were nice as was the boss
Receiver and General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ON18 August 2016
Receive merchandise daily and prep it for the floor. I learned new things on a daily basis whether from the boss, other staff or even customers. There is always something to learn. Co workers were a pleasure to work with. I don't think I can say what the hardest part of the job was as it wasn't a hard job. I suppose I could say just dealing with an upset customer was probably hard. The most enjoyable part of the job I think might be dealing with the sweat customers. All in all it was a nice company to work for.
Pros
loved the staff and customers
Cons
sometimes on my feet for long hours
Enjoyable Experience
Self-Advocates Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON6 March 2017
An Enjoyable Experience Indeed

Management are flexible and easy to get along with.

If you have a good enough reason for being late, your supervisor will go easy on you.
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Too short hours for some
advancement
Head Cashier, Mascot, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2016
Giant Tiger is a great place to work. I enjoyed the team building and the Management was fantastic.I learned a lot about handling customers, sales and of course myself. the management was always fair, kind and caring but stern when needed.
Pros
team building
Cons
shift work
A busy day
Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 November 2016
A typical day at Giant Tiger can be very busy. I have learned that great multitasking skills is extremely important to get all the jobs done, have time management skills and be a leader when needed.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Difficult customers
Good Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON13 October 2016
Working at Giant Tiger has really given me all the customer service satisfactions that i need to learn about in the real world. All staff and management are very friendly and helpful if you were stuck or just needed that extra hand. I totally recommend working here.
A great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2016
A typical day at work for myself would just be bagging groceries for customers, giving quality customer service, cleaning my till, sometimes organizing products and clothing hangers, and dealing with money. The most important thing I learned was how to deal with other people (customers) and how to talk to people. I used to be shy and from this job I became outgoing and I had the chance to talk to people and listen to customers stories on daily basis. My co-workers were wonderful, like a big family which I loved. Management could be intimidating but were always respectable. The hardest part of my job was the scheduling and the most enjoyable was being with my customers as I made good friends and they made my day better.
Pros
Great staff, store, and location
Cons
Bad Scheduling
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
Very nice working at Giant Tiger the typical work everyday is doing all the stocks and putting all the clothes that on the rack on the floor, helping customers what they are looking and treat them like your neighbor.- what I learned is to do my job well and being so nice to all the people. and multi tasking. I am great learner and a team player.-about Management I am constantly keeping tab of assign work with my subordinates and seniors, finishing the assigned job before deadlines. -about co-workers I believed in team work. Even if I find anything irritating, I try to avoid it unless it personally affects me. I gain a lots of friends at work. There is no hard job if u are willing to work and you love what u are doing.- The most enjoyable part of job is to see your customer happy and you meet the expectations.
wasnt that great
Cashier promoted to Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON29 December 2016
giant tiger was a boring job with only so much you could do before your looking for something more time consuming to do.......its a hard job to get into the groove because its not steady......its stop and go all day
Pros
had friends there
Cons
not enough hours
Great co workers, terrible management
Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 March 2017
Managers need updated training on how to handle certain situations. They are all about making money, not about the employees or customers. The customers are great.
Pros
co workers are fantastic people
Cons
Managers don't care, not many hours each week because it cuts into the managers bonuses.
Great work environment with friendly people
General labourer (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON10 March 2017
An enjoyable place to work, a large variety of tasks to accomplish that allow you to go at your own pace and feel a sense of accomplishment for completing each one. The friendly staff and overall positive work environment made it a great place to be.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
had to work most weekends
I enjoyed working with the staff there.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Duties Include:
Stocking shelves
Maintaining an overall clean & tidy appearance in the store
Assisting customers in locating products
Assisting with receiving shipments including unloading and unpacking of merchandise
Collect & organize shopping carts from the store parking lot
I got to learn alot of new things well working for Giant Tiger
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 May 2016
A typical day at work was a learning experience and challenging. I learned how to stalk the shelves, work in the clothing area and dressing room, I also learned how to work the cash using cash, debit, credit cards and do returns. I also learned how to work as a group member to satisfy the customers needs and wants. Working with the management and co-workers made my day all that much easier. The hardest part of the job was working under pressure, but I learned to just take a deep breath and do the best that I can. I really enjoyed working at Giant Tiger because I was able to learn new things on a regular basis.
Pros
The pros was the management and co-workers
Cons
I honestly can not thik of any cons working at Giant Tiger I really enjoyed working there