Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Productive & Fun Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 November 2016
Had a great time working at Giant Tiger. the associates were really helpful when you were in need of assistance completing a task.
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON17 November 2016
I loved Giant Tiger. My boss was amazing and my team was great. I was very sad to leave. Amazing hours. Very accommodating. It was like a whole new family when I was there.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Hour long unpaid lunches
A busy day
Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 November 2016
A typical day at Giant Tiger can be very busy. I have learned that great multitasking skills is extremely important to get all the jobs done, have time management skills and be a leader when needed.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Difficult customers
Very nice place to work good experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB6 November 2016
Everyone treats one another as family and they try their best to make sure all their employees are comfortable with the environment they're working in
Close family feeling when working very nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS3 November 2016
Great people to work with, this was my first job back in high school working part time an full time when I could . I work first as a cashier an then trained in every department then after about 6 months on cash I moved to frozen food an dry goods.
advancement
Head Cashier, Mascot, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2016
Giant Tiger is a great place to work. I enjoyed the team building and the Management was fantastic.I learned a lot about handling customers, sales and of course myself. the management was always fair, kind and caring but stern when needed.
Pros
team building
Cons
shift work
Not bad
Fashion associate (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON25 October 2016
A typical work day would be very taxing. I learned how to work a cash register. The management was nice. My coworkers were all petty and self-focused. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top of everything. The most enjoyable part was sometimes I would get super nice customers come through.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours alone
Excellent and diverse work scene.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 October 2016
Everyday started with a tucked in dress shirt, and a to-do list that every worker is given to finish before the end of their shift. Learned how to properly lift heavy objects and how to keep a steady heart rate from excessive work. Management was questionable due to their disability to increase my hours from 15-25 weekly, even after I was told they would give me 30-40 weekly. Ill just add that the staff list was changing on the regular. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing that the manager was happy and muscles were sore due to hard work!
Pros
Felt like something was accomplished after every shift.
Cons
Short breaks and short hours.
Enjoyable work place
Customer Service- Fulltime (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2016
A typical day was serving customers, and helping with their inquires and helping them out to the best of my abilities. My co workers were great and easy to work with. They worked with me and with my schedule knowing I have kids.
Pros
great hours
Cons
You always get one co worker that is jealous of the work you do.
Good Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON13 October 2016
Working at Giant Tiger has really given me all the customer service satisfactions that i need to learn about in the real world. All staff and management are very friendly and helpful if you were stuck or just needed that extra hand. I totally recommend working here.
Terrible work/life balance, worse training
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 September 2016
Expected to work more hours then necessary, multiple occasions where you are working 8-10 days in a row without a day off. The "training" they pride themselves on is laughable.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Too many to list.
friendly work environment
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
Going to work is like spending time with extended family. There's always going to be some speed bumps along the way but we work together as a team to get the job done safely and efficiently.
Pros
Staff appreciation bbq's and pot lucks
Cons
communication issues at times
Great Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON2 September 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have great staff and a great work environment to work in. I have learned a lot from my work experience here. I have gained better communication skills, how to handle products safely, and how to work well under pressure.
A workplace suited for adults rather than students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON23 August 2016
During my time at Giant Tiger I learned the value of time and money. I worked full time, 5 days a week, 40 hours. As the environment was slow and the store was not often busy, the time went by very slowly. For some people this isn't a bad thing, however for me, I prefer some place where I can keep myself busy and always have people to talk to. To add, most of the clientele and staff at Giant Tiger were adults; thus not ideal place where I can talk to people my age and have connections.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Slow-paced environment
Yes it is a fun workplace
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 August 2016
It was fun to work at giant tiger but I wish they could of hired me for full time they that ok I work now at Perkins for 2 days week looking for full time work
fun work environment
Head Cashier, November (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON19 August 2016
i enjoyed my time working for Giant tiger
some of my responsiblitlies were:
Processed all methods of payment: debit, credit and cash
Oversee all store-closing activities
Accurately record customer service transactions in electronic cash registers
Oversee shift-end float balance
Fun place to work, employees were nice as was the boss
Receiver and General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ON18 August 2016
Receive merchandise daily and prep it for the floor. I learned new things on a daily basis whether from the boss, other staff or even customers. There is always something to learn. Co workers were a pleasure to work with. I don't think I can say what the hardest part of the job was as it wasn't a hard job. I suppose I could say just dealing with an upset customer was probably hard. The most enjoyable part of the job I think might be dealing with the sweat customers. All in all it was a nice company to work for.
Pros
loved the staff and customers
Cons
sometimes on my feet for long hours
they are an up beat places to work
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 July 2016
I would get there and go in and a truck would come sortly after and then I would help with that and start putting things out on the floor that need to be put out there.
Great ecperiene in retail
Sales & Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 July 2016
As a teenager it was a great way to gain experience in the work-field. It was a well-organized company which respected all our rights and treated us equally.
i worked here as a coop student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, ON27 June 2016
i would stock the shelves with the products like: produce, dairy, and general needs supplies. sometimes changed prices swept the parking lot