Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Part time student job
Key holder, Cash Management, Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary ABAugust 28, 2014
Pros: long lunch
Cons: poor training
This location is now shut down
Poor management
Flexible hours
Great enviroment
As employees, we worked together as a team, with great management.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Kemptville and Manotick locationAugust 28, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Giant Tiger. My hours were spent either on cash, or on the floor helping customers, which I enjoyed, and the annual store inventory, which wasn't all that exciting, but working as a team made it somewhat fun.
It is NOT what I expected for a "Proud Canadian Company"
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: employee discounts on virtually everything
Cons: bare minimal breaks and lunches
A typical day at work consisted mainly of avoiding a problematic employee from day one. They would NOT fire theperson no matter WHAT they pulled. The owners' wife also works at the store and has an incredible problem with communication skills appropriate and inappropriate towards anyone she has deemed to be dislikeable. She talks to employees as though – more... the employee owed them their life and that they should be grateful to even breath the same air as her. Fortunately for me, she worked in another department and I didn't have to deal with her ignorance like most everyone else did who worked under her. After 4 months of employment, I obtained another job at a factory, and a month after that, they called me up to the office and forced me to quit. They stated that if I refuse to quit, they would fire me due to conflict of scheduling. By agreeing to quit, they would allow me to finish up my work week which allowed me to collect on Statutory pay (which was for Thanksgiving at that time). Here is the best part of it all:

Owner: "If you ever need your job back, come see us. That won't be a problem."

Two weeks after 'quitting' Giant Tiger, I was let go under probation at the factory job. I went back to GIant Tiger to hold the owner on his word, and he told me "No." He pushed me off with answers of "Not right at this moment, but when a position opens up again, I'll let you know."

I pursued him for a year; the answer: "No."

I don't have anything to share as to what I gained from being employed by this owner, except that it has put an extremely foul taste in my mouth in regards to the name "Giant Tiger".

I had an excellent Supervisor... he quit to work at CAMI Automotive... smart man. Although he was younger than me, I had no issues whatsoever taking orders and direction from him. He's a bright young man with smarts and success ahead of him.

The hardest part of the job was, again, dealing with a fellow ignorant employee, or should I say Manager. Like I said though, I didn't work under her... thank god.

The most enjoyable part of the job was always when the difficult employee that should've been dismissed wasn't there, as well as the Manager with an ego issue also not being there; work went smoothly and uninterrupted.

I have worked at many places in my life with many faces, and i can tell you this:

THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO WORK! – less
Softgoods Supervisor
Softgoods Supervisor (Former Employee), Laurier, ONAugust 26, 2014
Pros: fast paced, customer service, friendly co-workers
Cons: salary
With each day came new ways to try and improve the impact my department made on the customers. Featuring high profit items. Relocating for better visibility. Marking down items and products that generate no profit. I learned how to actively ensure all customers get the attention required to fulfill their shopping experience. I worked hand and hand with – more... the management in ensuring all staff respected all the codes and methods of retail and customer service. My co-workers and I all worked great as a team or individual. I personally trained several to ensure the companies needs were always met. The hardest part of the job was never being able to stop in the middle or new processes or displays. I was totally dedicated and gave more then my 100% at all time. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly meeting new people and seeing them always leave happy and satisfied. – less
descent place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orleans, ONAugust 23, 2014
- I'd usually open at 8 am
- set up everything
- greet customers
- go on my required breaks
- do some returns
- fix and organize merchandise
- at the end of my shift I would count my til
- then head home at 4:15pm
slaes clerk/ stocker
Grocery Associate (Former Employee), Kingston, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: plenty of wortk and great work environment
absolutely loved this job had the privilege of taking this location from empty warehouse to retail store with setting up fixtures, plan o grams, stocking shelves general merchandising, allowed me to utilize my skills and experience.
fun to work with co-workers
Clerk (Former Employee), embrun ont.August 19, 2014
Pros: long hours good money
Cons: only half hour break
i liked working there. sometimes u had to wait wich was long didnt really like that but was ok.im a guy that likes to work with co-workers.
Fun place to work with great people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 18, 2014
Sales floor management, customer service with periods at a till.
A half decent work environment for the most part, Co-workers were fairly respectful & easy going.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 17, 2014
My former job at this company helped me gain some important customer service skills & helped me work better with others. My typical day was fairly busy and usually consisted of stocking shelves, moving product, setting up displays; setting up shelves, front facing products, organizing the stock room, organizing grocery product in the freezer and cooler, – more... assisting customers whenever needed, making sure produce, other foods & dairy weren't expired and keep rotating properly, keeping up with store standards, creating labels and price tags for store products, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with many of my co-workers, of which at the time were very easy going and great to get along with. – less
Work was not very enjoyable. I tried to enjoy it many times, but failed.
Cashier/Fashion Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABAugust 17, 2014
Pros: hour lunch with 50% discount on clothes and 10% on food.
Cons: staff, and management.
My co-workers were honestly not the best. They were not understanding and very rude. I only got trained in fashion for one week, than they changed my schedule and I began working shifts on my own with hardly any training. When I switched to till they never trained me, only left me to find it out on my own. Over all it was never enjoyable, but I did – more... my best to make the most of it. On a normal day in fashion it was really slow paced and not much happened mostly cleaning and setting up displays. An average day on till was rather busy, but it made time pass faster. A lot faster. I am only hoping that in my new work environment my co-workers will be more likable and understanding, and that I will actually get proper training. – less
great work invorment and team!
Cashier (Former Employee), St. Paul, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: employee dinners
Cons: manager was never there
always a great team player with the other co workers. i love working with a active team and retail/cashier job. best first job ever i wanna keep in the cashier job.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Markham and DenisonAugust 1, 2014
Pros: enjoyable workplace
Typical day at work is being on cash, help cleaning around and work in customer service. I learned good communication skills and working along with people in groups. The management is good, help was always around when needed. The co-workers all are amazing, everyone helped out in their own ways. The hardest part of the job was trying to make all the – more... customers happy when working in customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it never felt like a job, we all enjoyed working there and it was not stressful. – less
Terrible
Driver/Order picker (Former Employee), the walkley road location in ottawaJuly 26, 2014
Pros: your still alive
Cons: your living in an employment nightmare
I worked there as a driver and witnessed angry racist ranting, abusive and uncoordinated management. I saw locations which were completely untenable for delivery with no plans to modify yet placing all blame on delivery personelle. Working internally as a warehouse picker was not much better. During breaks the older employees bully the younger ones – more... trying to get them to fight so they can be fired. About the only awesome part were the other pickers who were hard working nice people to be around, management can go die in a fire :) – less
high expectation and low pay
Supply Chain (Former Employee), Head OfficeJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free lunches and family days/tournaments
Cons: everything else
working at head office in a demanding understaffed atmosphere, the slack was expected to be picked up by the already existing staff.
not all management, but the management I worked under were very insecure and would often take this out on staff.
coaching did not exist
coworkers were decent but every man for themselves attitude
hardest part of the job: – more... feeling like you did a good job
most enjoyable part of the job: going home
company itself has good benefits and a solid community attitude.
too bad it was not something that all departments believe in. – less
Enjoyable team
keyholder/floor supervisor (Former Employee), Collingwood, ONJuly 3, 2014
I had a terrific crew that made it very enjoyable to get to work each day .. cooperation and team work
what i learned
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 16, 2014
Pros: 50% employee discount and fun workplace
Cons: shoplifters were a lot
Giant Tiger was my first retail job and i learned a lot while working for Giant Tiger. things that i learned
1. how to deal with Tough customers
2. how to do a great customer service
3. provide excellent customer service
4. identify and resolve complaints
Active work place that achhieve advancment through Efficiency
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 14, 2014
Pros: full time
Great environment
Interaction with customers needs
Murchadising
Organization
Staff was friendly
Work field was efficent
Good, fun staff. Excelent work enviroment
Grocery Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJune 12, 2014
My day varied from day to day. I was required to either open or close the store. I had many opportunites to learn new skills. The management was very helpful and supportive. The job was very enjoyable in all aspects. My employees were friendly and efficient at there jobs.
good learning experience
Stock Person (Former Employee), Windsor ONJune 6, 2014
stocked shelves, retrieved carts and did carry outs for people, did not learn much at this job the management was not very nice and my co workers did not talk to me very much i did not enjoy this job.
great place to work.
seasonal (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONMay 28, 2014
My job was to restock shelves, get shopping carts, and front face product after we were closed.

What i learned there was team work, organization skills, and working with a lot of nice people, and great fans.

My co workers were awesome to work around and had no troubles with them.

nothing hard about the job.

everything was fun