Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Productive job very fun staff and management.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 3, 2016
I enjoyed working at Giant Tiger the work was plentiful and the staff was excellent to work with. I recommend this job to anyone and would definitely return if I was to move back to the city. The management are great people always there to help with problems and assist in work projects.
Pros
Laid back good company good benefits bonuses and hours with excellent breaks in between
Great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 25, 2016
In the brief time I've worked at Giant Tiger I've learned how to broaden my skill sets, step out of my comfort zone, embrace and overcome new challenges on a daily basis. With a friendly and welcoming staff and management team, it's never a dull moment. I'm very privileged to be a Giant Tiger employee :).
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Hours could be longer
productive fast paced workplace at times.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ONMarch 17, 2016
In my opinion a typical work day at my previous job was that it was a good establishment with good hard working people. i learned a lot of things to do with retail and customer service. management was good i believe i could have a little more training at the beginning but i learned quick and had amazing co-workers to help me along. I think the hardest part of my job was organizing and cleaning the sales floor, everything would be in different spots from customers moving it around so you would have to go look around the store and put everything back to where it needed to be, Not hard so much as just frustrating. The most Enjoyable part of my day was assisting the customers, helping them and talking to them made my day better and you get to see a lot of friendly faces .
Pros
i got a lot of hours
Cons
very very busy during christmas
Very high pace enviroment, enjoyed the workplace, and the staff
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 15, 2016
I enjoyed working in the customer service field. I worked many different positions at Giant Tiger. I was a Head Cashier, worked in the Cash office, updating tills, counting the safe, doing the trades. I also was a merchandiser in three departments. Enjoyed my job, just needed a change of environment, and more in my field.
Pros
Great management and stafff
Cons
Picked up alot of peoples work, and long hours
Generally pleasant and fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deep River, ONJune 22, 2016
I very much enjoyed working at Giant Tiger. I feel confident in the cashiering skills and basic customer service skills I learned there. Aside from a personality conflict with one particular supervisor, generally my interactions with coworkers were pleasant, and there was always someone to help me out when I was learning the ropes. I enjoyed facing and arranging clothing, as well as the general tidying of the storefront that was part of cashier duty. For someone with organizational OCD, that was very enjoyable. My least favourite part of the job was morning crew; I had trouble being awake and functional at 6 in the morning, and sometimes the job was physically taxing. But generally, I found Giant Tiger to be a great place to work.
Pros
Supportive and kind coworkers
Cons
Crew shift was sometimes difficult physically
Great starting job to gain experience.
Cashier/Customer Service, Fashion Retailer (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 2, 2016
At Giant Tiger, it can be a stressful job if you are unaware of the possible altercations that can arise. My coworkers were extremely friendly and hardworking for the most part and we were able to get our tasks done with time to spare. The management team does need some work due to their lack of respect for workers and abundance of sarcasm when confronted with work related issues. For students and part time workers, this job is a great starter and will give much life experience. The most difficult part of the job is learning how to handle the large amount of disrespect received by customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the other employees and being able to befriend them.
Fun place to work, employees were nice as was the boss
Receiver and General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ONAugust 18, 2016
Receive merchandise daily and prep it for the floor. I learned new things on a daily basis whether from the boss, other staff or even customers. There is always something to learn. Co workers were a pleasure to work with. I don't think I can say what the hardest part of the job was as it wasn't a hard job. I suppose I could say just dealing with an upset customer was probably hard. The most enjoyable part of the job I think might be dealing with the sweat customers. All in all it was a nice company to work for.
Pros
loved the staff and customers
Cons
sometimes on my feet for long hours
A great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 30, 2016
A typical day at work for myself would just be bagging groceries for customers, giving quality customer service, cleaning my till, sometimes organizing products and clothing hangers, and dealing with money. The most important thing I learned was how to deal with other people (customers) and how to talk to people. I used to be shy and from this job I became outgoing and I had the chance to talk to people and listen to customers stories on daily basis. My co-workers were wonderful, like a big family which I loved. Management could be intimidating but were always respectable. The hardest part of my job was the scheduling and the most enjoyable was being with my customers as I made good friends and they made my day better.
Pros
Great staff, store, and location
Cons
Bad Scheduling
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 24, 2016
Very nice working at Giant Tiger the typical work everyday is doing all the stocks and putting all the clothes that on the rack on the floor, helping customers what they are looking and treat them like your neighbor.- what I learned is to do my job well and being so nice to all the people. and multi tasking. I am great learner and a team player.-about Management I am constantly keeping tab of assign work with my subordinates and seniors, finishing the assigned job before deadlines. -about co-workers I believed in team work. Even if I find anything irritating, I try to avoid it unless it personally affects me. I gain a lots of friends at work. There is no hard job if u are willing to work and you love what u are doing.- The most enjoyable part of job is to see your customer happy and you meet the expectations.
A workplace suited for adults rather than students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONAugust 23, 2016
During my time at Giant Tiger I learned the value of time and money. I worked full time, 5 days a week, 40 hours. As the environment was slow and the store was not often busy, the time went by very slowly. For some people this isn't a bad thing, however for me, I prefer some place where I can keep myself busy and always have people to talk to. To add, most of the clientele and staff at Giant Tiger were adults; thus not ideal place where I can talk to people my age and have connections.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Slow-paced environment
Nice place to work, but still too similiar to other retail issues
Set Up (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSJune 20, 2016
First let me give some info. I was hired for store set up and during the grand opening period. The tasks I did day by day varied including setting up and putting together pins, shelves, etc, up until grand opening, during which I handled cart retrieval and odd jobs. Great co-workers, nice and polite, same for the manager too. However, it, like many other retail chains, falls into the same hiring rut. Rating everyone on and forcing people to get to maintain rather high speeds of work which to a good chunk of people is unnatural and for some unobtainable. Especially when your finished what your assigned to do and there's no clear indication of what your supposed to do next. If you are gonna work here or others such as Walmart, Superstore, Sobey's, make sure you can reach and maintain that speed and maintain the quality of service. If not, I would advise you to look elsewhere.
Pros
Great higher ups, friendly, very accomaditing of needs
Cons
High required speed of service, required to do work even when there is literally none
I got to learn alot of new things well working for Giant Tiger
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a learning experience and challenging. I learned how to stalk the shelves, work in the clothing area and dressing room, I also learned how to work the cash using cash, debit, credit cards and do returns. I also learned how to work as a group member to satisfy the customers needs and wants. Working with the management and co-workers made my day all that much easier. The hardest part of the job was working under pressure, but I learned to just take a deep breath and do the best that I can. I really enjoyed working at Giant Tiger because I was able to learn new things on a regular basis.
Pros
The pros was the management and co-workers
Cons
I honestly can not thik of any cons working at Giant Tiger I really enjoyed working there
Productive and great work place with great co workers and managment
Cashier/Stocking Shelf's/ Dressing Room/Returns (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Giant Tiger, it was great team member that made it easier for a work day. I learned how to do returns, guiding customers to changing room and helping them to make decisions. I had learned the codes for the clothing to know what section it went to. The manager made it easy to work there, they are great people. The workers there was also great people to work with, we worked well as team members to get the job done. I can not remember many hard parts of the job, but one of the hard things was when it got busy and to try and cash people out in a timely manner. But I would just have to stop and breath and realise that I can get through it. The most enjoyable part of the job was my manager and co workers. They made it a happy place to work
Great place t work
A typical day of work at Giant Tiger was a great place to work. I learned how to do returns, cashier, cashing out people with debit, and credit cards, help customers in the dressing room and help make fashion decisions, and stalk shelves. I really enjoyed working with the management team and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning how to work in a different environment, but I learned how to adapt to the environment pretty quickly. I enjoyed going into work because the management and co-workers made it a enjoyable place to work
Productive and Friendly Place!
Sales Associate (Grocery, Fashion) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONApril 13, 2016
In a typical day of work, I work with my fellow co-workers to merchandise and stock the store. I also answer questions that customers my have and help them bring their groceries to their cars if they require help. If the store is busy, I open up a cash register and help cash people out. I've learned better communication skills that have helped with my co-workers and with customers. I am also a better team-player and can lead and assist my associates. My leadership skills have also improved. The management is good and listens to you ideas and works with you to make these ideas happen. Most of my co-workers are amazing and I always have a wonderful time working with them. I'm even best friends with a couple outside of work! They make the store a more enjoyable place to work and help with the stress. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is pulling their weight and making sure the customer is satisfied. The most enjoyable part is being able to feel like part of a family.
Pros
Friendly co-workers that are easy to get along with
Cons
Not everyone doing their share of the tasks
Okay workplace, great co-workers, not so great management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 24, 2016
- Typical Day: Serving customers and stocking shelves
- Learned: Be quick
- Management: Not so good, took a few tries to get specific dates off
- Co-workers: Agreeable, fun to work with
- Hardest Part: Balancing serving customers and keeping cash clean
- Most Enjoyable: Can't think of one, subject to anything
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
No water allowed at cash
fun work environment
Head Cashier, November (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONAugust 19, 2016
i enjoyed my time working for Giant tiger
some of my responsiblitlies were:
Processed all methods of payment: debit, credit and cash
Oversee all store-closing activities
Accurately record customer service transactions in electronic cash registers
Oversee shift-end float balance
Interesting Company
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 7, 2016
Typical shift - front end cash, restocking shelves
Good management team
Co-workers are friendly
Hardest part of job - standing for long periods
Most enjoyable part of job - customer interaction
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONSeptember 2, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have great staff and a great work environment to work in. I have learned a lot from my work experience here. I have gained better communication skills, how to handle products safely, and how to work well under pressure.
Productive work setting
Cashier/Fashion (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBFebruary 17, 2016
Lots of departments to work in which gave me diversity. Co-workers varied from moody to extremely nice although I personally never had an issue with anyone, Management were fair and nice.
Pros
discounts
Cons
lack of hours