Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Great staff and good location
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK19 January 2017
A typical day for me at this job was either unloading a truck or refilling shelves in the store and helping customers with some of their problems if any ever came up. What i learned at this job was facing procedures and time management. I also learned about how to take temperature readings in the freezers and how to rotate product to ensure that customers got the best.

Management there was ok but at times i felt like i was not being heard enough and that was a bit frustrating. The hardest part of my job was the bending and shifting of my movements because i was dealing with major health issues. The most enjoyable however was dealing with the customers that came in everyday, i really enjoy working with people. I have been told that i have exceptional customer service skills.
Pros
Monthly raises
Cons
Short Shifts
nice people to work for
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON25 January 2017
No benefits, not enough hrs, management was good, setting up displays were very time consuming and hard to do at times , no chance for advancement
Pros
prizes given at xmas time
Cons
not enough hrs
Not bad
Fashion associate (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON25 October 2016
A typical work day would be very taxing. I learned how to work a cash register. The management was nice. My coworkers were all petty and self-focused. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top of everything. The most enjoyable part was sometimes I would get super nice customers come through.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours alone
Its a decent job to hold
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 January 2017
in my opinion the day to day life of a Giant Tiger employee is not the most gracious way to get through life, but at the same time it isn't the worst either. my shifts from week to week stay the same, two split shifts but mostly mornings. as of currently i am the only grocery employee who deals with the sorting of every truck load of groceries brought into the store. i work 6 days a week which i don't mind but somehow i don't have full time hours that's a bit of a downfall. Managers seem to listen to a very select group of employee on the topic of changes to certain ways we can accomplish our goal, also managers seem to try and cut corners instead of fixing the problem properly to try and save a dime.
Pros
store discount is a plus
Cons
knowing that its not being done right but not being heard
Excellent and diverse work scene.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 October 2016
Everyday started with a tucked in dress shirt, and a to-do list that every worker is given to finish before the end of their shift. Learned how to properly lift heavy objects and how to keep a steady heart rate from excessive work. Management was questionable due to their disability to increase my hours from 15-25 weekly, even after I was told they would give me 30-40 weekly. Ill just add that the staff list was changing on the regular. Most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing that the manager was happy and muscles were sore due to hard work!
Pros
Felt like something was accomplished after every shift.
Cons
Short breaks and short hours.
Productive job very fun staff and management.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 March 2016
I enjoyed working at Giant Tiger the work was plentiful and the staff was excellent to work with. I recommend this job to anyone and would definitely return if I was to move back to the city. The management are great people always there to help with problems and assist in work projects.
Pros
Laid back good company good benefits bonuses and hours with excellent breaks in between
Fun place to work, employees were nice as was the boss
Receiver and General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ON18 August 2016
Receive merchandise daily and prep it for the floor. I learned new things on a daily basis whether from the boss, other staff or even customers. There is always something to learn. Co workers were a pleasure to work with. I don't think I can say what the hardest part of the job was as it wasn't a hard job. I suppose I could say just dealing with an upset customer was probably hard. The most enjoyable part of the job I think might be dealing with the sweat customers. All in all it was a nice company to work for.
Pros
loved the staff and customers
Cons
sometimes on my feet for long hours
Great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 February 2016
In the brief time I've worked at Giant Tiger I've learned how to broaden my skill sets, step out of my comfort zone, embrace and overcome new challenges on a daily basis. With a friendly and welcoming staff and management team, it's never a dull moment. I'm very privileged to be a Giant Tiger employee :).
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Hours could be longer
Good Company
PURCHASER/BUYER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2017
Good work placement and an enjoyable job. Good bonuses and learned lots. Management worked with me. I learned lots about different departments in the retail store. Hardest part of the job was having numerous deliveries and being short staffed.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Lot of young staff phoning in
advancement
Head Cashier, Mascot, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2016
Giant Tiger is a great place to work. I enjoyed the team building and the Management was fantastic.I learned a lot about handling customers, sales and of course myself. the management was always fair, kind and caring but stern when needed.
Pros
team building
Cons
shift work
A busy day
Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 November 2016
A typical day at Giant Tiger can be very busy. I have learned that great multitasking skills is extremely important to get all the jobs done, have time management skills and be a leader when needed.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Difficult customers
wasnt that great
Cashier promoted to Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON29 December 2016
giant tiger was a boring job with only so much you could do before your looking for something more time consuming to do.......its a hard job to get into the groove because its not steady......its stop and go all day
Pros
had friends there
Cons
not enough hours
Good Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON13 October 2016
Working at Giant Tiger has really given me all the customer service satisfactions that i need to learn about in the real world. All staff and management are very friendly and helpful if you were stuck or just needed that extra hand. I totally recommend working here.
A workplace suited for adults rather than students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON23 August 2016
During my time at Giant Tiger I learned the value of time and money. I worked full time, 5 days a week, 40 hours. As the environment was slow and the store was not often busy, the time went by very slowly. For some people this isn't a bad thing, however for me, I prefer some place where I can keep myself busy and always have people to talk to. To add, most of the clientele and staff at Giant Tiger were adults; thus not ideal place where I can talk to people my age and have connections.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Slow-paced environment
A great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2016
A typical day at work for myself would just be bagging groceries for customers, giving quality customer service, cleaning my till, sometimes organizing products and clothing hangers, and dealing with money. The most important thing I learned was how to deal with other people (customers) and how to talk to people. I used to be shy and from this job I became outgoing and I had the chance to talk to people and listen to customers stories on daily basis. My co-workers were wonderful, like a big family which I loved. Management could be intimidating but were always respectable. The hardest part of my job was the scheduling and the most enjoyable was being with my customers as I made good friends and they made my day better.
Pros
Great staff, store, and location
Cons
Bad Scheduling
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
Very nice working at Giant Tiger the typical work everyday is doing all the stocks and putting all the clothes that on the rack on the floor, helping customers what they are looking and treat them like your neighbor.- what I learned is to do my job well and being so nice to all the people. and multi tasking. I am great learner and a team player.-about Management I am constantly keeping tab of assign work with my subordinates and seniors, finishing the assigned job before deadlines. -about co-workers I believed in team work. Even if I find anything irritating, I try to avoid it unless it personally affects me. I gain a lots of friends at work. There is no hard job if u are willing to work and you love what u are doing.- The most enjoyable part of job is to see your customer happy and you meet the expectations.
awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON1 February 2017
Amazing co-workers and great customers to work with. loved the job and would have stayed if they had an opening but I was a seasonal employee. Have nothing negative to say about this place
Pros
people are amazing there
Cons
couldn't stay
Productive and fun workplace
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON9 February 2017
A Typical day at Giant Tiger, show up on time unload grocery skids and face at the store at the end of the night. Very simple job.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not busy
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON17 November 2016
I loved Giant Tiger. My boss was amazing and my team was great. I was very sad to leave. Amazing hours. Very accommodating. It was like a whole new family when I was there.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Hour long unpaid lunches
Close family feeling when working very nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS3 November 2016
Great people to work with, this was my first job back in high school working part time an full time when I could . I work first as a cashier an then trained in every department then after about 6 months on cash I moved to frozen food an dry goods.