GFL Environmental Employee Reviews

I worked on the back of the rearside packer collecting curbside garbage and the odd time recycle
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 February 2018
I loved working there as a pitcher! I woke up early every morning excited to go and every time I got home from work, I had a everything ready for the next morning.
Gfl has the best people!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia14 February 2018
I have loved every minute of my time here at GFL. The people who work here and the customers we serve are the best. Waste! Who would have dreamed it could be so fun!!

I laugh every day at work and I have the best boss in the world! He is extremely busy, but takes the time to listen when it really counts! I work with extremely talented people who challenge me to be better every day!

I have never been so happy at work!
bad
outside worker (Former Employee) –  delat11 February 2018
just not good place no repsect not caring pay not good to much blame on workers unsafe money means more the worker dusty hot cold lots of fighting lll
Pros
no lunch
bad
Good if managment leaves you alone
Driver loader (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON31 January 2018
You would be working against weather , public , and management.
City keep expanding, we still have same number of trucks and employees.
Pay is low, over time starts after 10 hrs I don't know why !!
10 hours is minimum a day if you ask them to leave they'll get mad at ya.
You get injured they get mad ..
If you get the job say good bye to your family and your life .
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad management.
potential to be an industry leader
Roll Off Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON22 January 2018
Good company to work for. Unfortunately, because of being unionised, advancement is based on time served and not by work ethics. Co workers are usually more than willing to help make everybody's day better. Supervisors and Managers very approachable
Pros
good pay, always trying to improve
Cons
unionized
Worst company I’ve ever worked for!
Front end/rear pack dz driver (Current Employee) –  Cherry st. Toronto21 January 2018
Working as front end rear pack driver out of the cherry st location in Toronto. It is the most horribly managed company I’ve ever worked for. Currently there are over 30 broken down trucks in the mechanic shop. The work load is unrealistic started with 50-60 calls, I am currently expected to complete 100-180 pick up a day and increasing. Any time you fall behind you are called in and are yelled at, this happened even when I had a week on the job and was still learning. Not saying every yard is like this but from what I’ve experienced at cherry st. Do not work here. Looking for a new job as I write this. Management makes constant promises of things to get better and equipment to be fixed, and nothing ever happens or gets better. Every morning in the locker room all you hear is other employees talking about how much they hate it and can’t wait to find a better job. F GFL...
Pros
Cons
Bad mgmt/poor maintenance
Not fun to work at
Cable roll off driver (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 January 2018
If you want no life and micro managed go work for them pay sucks and so do the management people are ok to work with but there's a lot of back stabing and favoritism in the company
Pros
Cons
Everthing
dont work here
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
management is a joke. they broke my contract with in months of working there. lay off the guys who work to keep the ones that don't around. pay is awful.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not bad company
Office (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2018
Gfl is an ok company. Management is a bit top heavy and they seem to allow staff that have been with company a long time a lot of rope, even if there are issues and complaints. They tend to play favorites.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay, management.
N6 Aurora
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 January 2018
dispatch drivers and loaders to appropriate routes
working with management to ensure all training up to date
fast paced env.
managing 70+ employees
team environment
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
Lots of hours, not much room for advancement.
Senior Driver/ Picker operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2018
Great company if you don't mind putting lots of hours in the summer, in the winter it slows down a lot. They pay over time, so it's a good idea to budget for the slower season in winter do you can pay all your bills. Home every night, not a lot of room for advancement.
Pros
Home every night
Bad managers/supervisors
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB7 December 2017
Managers constantly push to get trucks fixed and back on the roads even when they are unsafe. We had a meeting and we're told to stay late and work overtime to finish jobs then 2 months later they cut the overtime right before Christmas so they can collect year end bonuses which caused the shop to get behind. Managers would rather sit in offices than help in the shop. Always understaffed. No tool allowance. No Christmas bonus. Only closed 2 days a year( Christmas and New Years. And again horribly managed head in the sand type managers. Most management came from waste management which is also a poorly managed company.
Pros
Wage/benefits
Cons
Bad management
Construction worker
Construction Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2017
Nice place to work at first. No job security or respect from higher ups.
Liked supervisor.
Great money at first, but they like long hours, which isn't always manageable.
Did learn a bit.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ridiculous bosses/supervisors
Company was great
Business Development / Account manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 November 2017
I enjoyed my time working at GFL. It was a position that allowed me to grow and develop my customer relationship skills. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Extremely Unsafe Workplace
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
Management Has no regard for safety. No site inspections or toolbox meetings are ever had. Drivers often work for more than 14 hours a day and shop workers are asked to handle dangerous goods with little training or supervision. Yard positions don't pay enough to make the 30-40 hours of overtime you will get per week worth it.
Pros
No limit amount of overtime.
Cons
Long Hours, No night shift premium, Low pay, Dangerous work
too good to be true
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 October 2017
the job started off ok, nothing went wrong and everything was ok until the units were in constant repair. even though it was the conditions the units had to endure, management made it feel like it was the drivers fault and the driver were held accountable although the management made the drivers run the units into the ground. i would not recommend anyone to work for this company. in order to make good for the contracts they had in place, sometimes the drivers would have to run unsafe units, units without kill switches and other necessary safety precautions put in place to keep the operator/driver from harm. this does not reflect just one shop but across multiple shops.
benefits
Cons
work beyond hours allowed, lie on logbook, management, shabby equipment
Not a good place!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2017
Very bad management from the top if you're face don't fit your be gone would not recommend this company to anyone unless you are really hard up and don't mind being ran into the ground ....very badly ran !
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No life and you will work long hours
Pretty Good place to work
Rolloff Driver Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
I had a lot of support from management and my peers coming into GFL. Bunch of great guys to work with, and everyone will do their best to help you out where you need help. Honestly some of the best support ive ever seen in a company
Pros
Good people to work with
Very Poor Management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2017
This company has no respect for their employees, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized, the fleet of trucks are needing constant repair.
Residential Collections Driver and Loader (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON1 August 2017
Pickering management is great. The supervisors are good guys. You work hard in tough conditions. Road supervisors are good guys. I enjoyed working for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.