GFL Environmental Corporation Employee Reviews

Worlds worst company!!
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Moose Creek, ON19 September 2017
Just read the title that's all I have to say everything is a one star except job security cause nobody else wants to work here.
If you want to live pay to pay and not see your family come work here
Pros
Your allowed a lunch break
Cons
Pretty much everything
Only getting worse.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor7 August 2017
Unrealistic expectations for employees. Good employees get absolutely no recognition for their hard work. And management is VERY vindictive. Your treated like a number not a person. Not to mention they hand pick promotions. No interviews whatsoever. Cronyism is only getting worse. Pay may seem high for drivers that also throw, but it is very low for the amount of work they expect. No Christmas parties whatsoever, and very few company events. Don't waste your time applying, wouldn't wish job on my worst enemy.
Extremely high turnover rate and injury rate for this company. And with good reason, management cares more about quota's than employees.
Pros
you get a paycheque, be it low
Cons
Pay extremely low, for what they expect
Management is terrible
Front End Driver (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON17 July 2017
I am a current employee. Let me start off by saying I like it here at GFL. The people I work with are a great group! That being said the managment is terrible. I'm a front end driver and the routes are so horrible that I sometimes drive 45mins for 1 garbage bin. I have no idea how they keep running the company this way. If they would fix the routing so it actually made money maybe we could get a raise! The equipment is junk. My truck broke down, so they sent me a loaner from Toronto, and when I tried rolling down the window it fell out. So they sent another truck, and the defrost doesn't work....Do you see where I'm going here? If you like to be in the yard drinking coffee waiting for trucks to be fixed this is your place. But don't get your hopes up that you'll be doing nothing all day, once its fixed you have to complete your route! Noon, 3pm who cares! Get going!
Pros
Great group of people, steady pay check
Cons
Horrible equipment, disorganized
GARBAGE!! Worst company i have ever worked for
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek/hamilton ON8 July 2017
Long hours, terrible wages, work all holidays. Expected to go out and help others who slack off and milk their routes. Management is a joke. They will smIle to face and stab you in the back. Stay far away from this toxic, terrible company. Worst job I've ever experienced
Pros
Slave driver R us
Cons
Lots. Could write a small novel
Poor management
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
Currently work here as a driver and I will sum up what would be a lengthy list of defaults. Management for starters! This company keeps buying there business and with that comes grandfather'd positions and inherited bad habits throughout. People in authority positions who have no background in the field they manage. This lack of knowledge has a trickle down effect that creates confusion and anger which could be prevented. Safety is a big concern! Our company which already had a fair share of safety issues was bought out in January. As employees we figured change was imminent however that was misjudged. It took 5 months to get what they would call "up to speed" which is an ongoing joke! Safety is a #1 until work piles up due to disorganized dispatch and money hungry management then safety is placed on the back burner. Bottom line is this company needs a lot of work before considering any position here.
Worst job I ever had
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
Rude people, too much work required of one person, very stressful.

The pay was ok, but not worth what was asked of you. Many of the management team behaved in an unprofessional manner on a regular basis. If you can find work elsewhere I would do so if I were you. Wasn't being paid for overtime. Bullying is the culture.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
everything else
Mickey Mouse
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 May 2017
Revolving door of management and workers. "Because I said so" attitude because management knows better even though none of them can last over a year in their position. Out of compliance all over the place. Good place to work if you're a yes man too stupid to realize how badly they're managing the place and breaking the rules. They also want you married to the job so it's great if you live to work with no sense of accomplishment.
Pros
I don't work there anymore :)
Cons
Cancerous environment
Stay away
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2017
Just stay away. You will not be appreciated here. Need to be someone's favourite to survive. No respect from management otherwise. It won't be worth your sanity.
stay away
driver loader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 May 2017
terrible job. Stay away!!! You will be required to work and help others on their routes until all garbage is collected. You will work like a pig, go home and eat and go to bed. This job is a body and mind killer. STAY AWAW!!!! Trust this
Management is very poor and disrespectful
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
I was let go for no reason, With no notice. They promised to give me a raise for over a year and I never saw it. The two edmonton transfer station shops are very much like high school. I would stay away from them.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no time for family
Worst place I ever worked for
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2017
Very stressful environment and very poor training for the work that is required of you. I felt bullied by a co-worker which made work hard to come to.
Pros
Nice drivers
Cons
Favoritism
Very poor environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 April 2017
Stay away from this company. Very unethical with all aspects to business.very toxic environment to work in. Management has no clue on what is going on within the daily aspects of the business
No nice atmosphere
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2017
Don't care for drivers and takes a long time to get repairs done trucks .Lost jobs with no notice union is investigating the issue. We ask for a transfer they said no also ask to learn heavy equipment also no
Pros
There is none
Cons
Management sucks
Fast paced and hectic
Driver/loader (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON6 April 2017
While this company pays decent, the aggrevation that comes with the job is sometime un- bearable. For the most part Of enjoyed the job however with the constant change over rate of personel make it hard to figure out any concrete friendships or alliances. The management team at times act more like individuals rather than a team which in turn causes ripples in the workforce. Overall if you want to work for a decent company then this job is for you. But if you wanna be in constant fear of keeping your job then l would avoid this job.
The most toxic office environment I have ever worked in
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
The work atmosphere is terrible. Have to work lots of overtime with no compensation. Constant fightIng between two dept heads. Lots of bullying but one manager. Lots of staff turnover creates a very toxic work atmosphere
Pros
Cons
Long hours. Treatment by management
GFL is a place for hard workers
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2017
People complain about working at GFL ...

Here it is in a nut shell , yes long hours (4 day week) so yes they push!

People forget they chose this job ,as for "u have to be family" comment.. u don't get bumped up unless u can back it up

Hard work pays off at GFL , everybody feels
entitled , shut your mouth and go to work , plan for bad days ,prepare for long days ,

I'm a GFL worker and I make people feel silly
They call me the map killer ,

Stop bashing GFL, the company has created a lot of jobs in this city , in this province and in this country 3000+ employees can't be wrong
Stay away
Driver Loader (Former Employee) –  Windsor Ont18 January 2017
If you have a job already stay away from these guys, they fire without notice. Very poor training and very hostile work environment. I do not recommend anyone goes to work here.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I would pick that place to work because it as good people who work together on projects. It's busy. And some one their to help. It's clean.
You can get your own locker. It as laundry machines.
Jobs like exercise.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 August 2016
jobs is ok to work. Early morning start jobs . leave yard by 7 am and work until you are done.one thing is not good. Bad management . easy to get fired.
Cons
Long hrs
Over worked zero respect
Driver/Loader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2016
I've worked at GFL for many years and came to my last straw as of lately. The diss respect from managment is unreal. I have never worked for a company that undermines there workers on a regular basis. Disiplinary action is taking out on workers often. Leading in 5 day suspensions or even a month lay off. They constantly break mto regulations and push there drivers to 14 15 hour drive days. They favour the employees who they get along with or are personally related too. Many job postings such as this one are not available to present employees, so moving up is impossible. I had to see this add on a website appose to internal posting. If you need experience then sure they put anyone with a license and brain behind a wheel with zero adiqute training and send you off. The money is ok but after a while your sanity is worth more or dignity as a man. Which ever they take from you first. This isn't a bash this is truley and honestly how 80 percent of the guys I work with feel. Get your money my friend and get the blank out. Also keep a plan B cause you may be out quicker then you think. Good luck
Pros
money. Drive experience
Cons
You name it